BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea At Ewood

It feels like a win to me too :) but to say that we carried him yet again and not comment on Olsson and Dunn's very very poor showings today is just not on.

The lads never going to be a world beater, but he looked interested and fit today which couldn't be said for Dunn.

Keith (the Irish Lampard) was so good today, he nullified Mikel, I didn't even realise he was playing!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

C'mon Brian. Andrews was poor again but I could have kissed him for that block with his head.

Jones was a colossus. Hendry and Keeley rolled into one.

Truth is I feel like we've won.

Tell you what that ball was travelling some, good on Keith for getting his head on it, a lesser man may have ducked

Also thought Brown did OK when called upon, the goal wasn't his fault, good finishing by Drogba putting the ball back in the direction the keeper had been travelling

Phil Jones was amazing against Nottingham Forest in the cup too. I don't think anyone can argue about him getting Man of the Match, I was really impressed. Sam is doing wonders, shame about the boos when Kalinic went off, I wonder if the people will admit they got it wrong....again.

Yes I remember walking away from the Forest game singing his praises as I did today, must admit I did feel a bit sorry for him to begin with going up against Drogba AND Anelka in his first premiership appearence but my word he rose to the challenge! Very promising and hopefully he continues as he has started. :brfcsmilie:

Yes I remember walking away from the Forest game singing his praises as I did today, must admit I did feel a bit sorry for him to begin with going up against Drogba AND Anelka in his first premiership appearence but my word he rose to the challenge! Very promising and hopefully he continues as he has started. :brfcsmilie:

I remember getting back on the coach after the game and everyone was so impressed, they asked how old he was, I remember saying he's only 17, only just turned 18 now! Sam deserves some credit for starting him too, the risk certainly paid off.

Thought before the game that this team was just about the worst starting eleven we had ever put out in the PL. No class there at all. Had a bet with Baz as to when the first goal would be scored - he went for 15 mins, I went for 12 mins. It arrived after 5. :angry:

Come the end of the game though and we were both absolutely delighted. The players ran their socks off, proving that even with a team of far less talent than the opposition, that with a bit of organisation, good tactics and a heck of a lot of comittment and sweat, you can make life hard for the best teams. A lot of excellent individual performances out there today and for a recently turned 18 yr old, a hell of a debut. He'll never forget todays game. Well done son.

To my mind, the Chelsea lads didn't put a honest shift in today. Too many of their side didn't go the extra mile. Too many pass and watch players. I know that they had a hard game midweek, but their squad is big enough and good enough to have done more.

A fantastic point gained due to a hard-working performance. I was concerned that we seemed to be allowing the Chelsea players far too much time on the ball in the first half, but we do play to the idea that getting everyone behind the ball and mark area rather than actual players. This should in theory makes us hard to break down and we where just that today.

Their goal came as a direct result of Olsson getting forward leaving a gap for them to exploit although Andrews maybe should have done better than just letting the Chelsea player walk past him. Apart from that the "superstars" of Chelsea failed to create very little against what can only be said to be an inexperience and chucked together back four and goalkeeper. Brown didn't really get troubled in goal too much but he did all the basics right, Samba and Salgado as the two experienced players were both brilliant I thought. Olsson was a constent threat going forward and defended steadily for the majority of the time. Then there was Jones, I was suprised he started to be honest thought Andrews or Chimbonda at centreback would have been the plan but no. Big Sam had the faith and put the lad in there against Drogba & Anelka, he came out of the game Man of the Match with lots of praise for an immense performance. I'm led to believe he's more of a footballing centreback and likes to get the ball down and play but today he looked just like an old-fashion centreback. Aggression, tackling, heading, clearances he didn't put a foot wrong. He should start against Birmingham on the back of that performance.

It was a weird game though after the first twenty minutes or so I thought we where in for a heavy defeat here with Chelsea popping it round for fun. However we regained our composure and came back into the game and had the ball in a lot of good areas especially towards the start of the second half. Chelsea seemed content with the 1-0 and only really started to attack in numbers after we'd equalized. Whilst I didn't really agree with Kalinic being subbed for Roberts, I could understand the reason behind it Kalinic barely had a kick all game and the change to 4-4-2 may have left us open at the back. That being said at the time it came across as mega-negative move staying with the 4-5-1 when we needed a goal, especially if you consider our only creative player in Dunn had already gone off. I don't condone the boos but I can also understand them it was almost as if we'd settled for the 1-0 defeat.

But yet again Big Sam proved to be correct in his decision, we scored through Diouf, who had a poor game goal aside I thought, and keeping the one upfront and brining Roberts on seemed a very wise move. Roberts caused Terry & Alex more problems in the short time he was on than Kalinic did for the entire match. It's open to debate would have happened had we switched to 4-42 with Roberts and Kalinic upfront.

Can't grumble with a point against a side with Chelsea's quality. But like as already been mentioned the big plus today was the performance of Phil Jones, amazing display from the youngster.

• Backroom

Out of interest was fat Frank even on the pitch today? Totally anonomous.

Had to laugh at Diouf in the second half placing the ball about half a foot outside the quadrant for a corner, I think he craves attention from the ref

Wasn't it him who had nearly scored a 35-yard wonder goal, looked pretty close from where I was sitting Brown wasn't getting it that's for sure.

BFS out.

This man is taking the pi$$ out of our club. Salgdo, Andrews, Pedersen and Diouf will never be Premiership quality, let alone do the job vs Chelsea.

Come on, admit you were wrong and Sam was right...

Special mention number 1, Phil Jones was utterly brilliant. He got the team going, the fans going and the tackles and pressing going.

Special mention number 2, Diouf went completely missing in the first half for their goal and Andrews sprinted across to cover him when he should have been in front of Anelka. Anelka just stopped and pulled the ball back making Andrews look silly. I said to my wife that Diouf is always involved in one way or another, good or bad and so it proved. He was in the right place with a superb finish to equalise. He was excellent in the second half but was somewhat the opposite in the first... Contrasting but what a player he genuinely is.

Special mention number 3, Samba was excellent. He did exactly what was needed from a captain and a key defender with a youngster alongside him. Excellent performance.

Special mention number 4, Andrews and his throwing himself in front of shots. He truly put his body on the line. He might not be the most talented but give him credit for working incredibly hard and never stopping running. He also seems to have picked up at least a yard of pace!

Special mention number 5, Big Sam and his subs. He brought on Emerton and the team looked so much more balanced and it gave Salgado someone to work with. Salgado throw to Emo, Emo pass back, Salgado cross pinpoint onto to Diouf's head. Superb goal. Big Sam got this one spot on.

The team performed superbly in the second half and most of the first barring the first 6 minutes.

He nullified their holding midfielder? Impressive. :rolleyes:

He nullified Fat Frank too.

Obviously I have a sense of humour ;)

Thought before the game that this team was just about the worst starting eleven we had ever put out in the PL. No class there at all. Had a bet with Baz as to when the first goal would be scored - he went for 15 mins, I went for 12 mins. It arrived after 5. :angry:

Come the end of the game though and we were both absolutely delighted. The players ran their socks off, proving that even with a team of far less talent than the opposition, that with a bit of organisation, good tactics and a heck of a lot of comittment and sweat, you can make life hard for the best teams. A lot of excellent individual performances out there today and for a recently turned 18 yr old, a hell of a debut. He'll never forget todays game. Well done son.

To my mind, the Chelsea lads didn't put a honest shift in today. Too many of their side didn't go the extra mile. Too many pass and watch players. I know that they had a hard game midweek, but their squad is big enough and good enough to have done more.

Den,

If you really did think that this was the worst Rovers X1 ever put out in the Premiership, then you either have a very short/selective memory, have a very poor knowledge of Rovers, or simply typify the pathologically negative view of our team that so many Rovers fans seem to have, especially before a ball is even kicked, which does our beloved club no good whatsoever...so glad you were so wrong...

Lot of positives today, just hope some of us can carry them into the next game and have some faith...

Den,

If you really did think that this was the worst Rovers X1 ever put out in the Premiership, then you either have a very short/selective memory, have a very poor knowledge of Rovers, or simply typify the pathologically negative view of our team that so many Rovers fans seem to have, especially before a ball is even kicked, which does our beloved club no good whatsoever...so glad you were so wrong...

I said that's what I thought "pre match" On paper that looked, to me, a very poor team.

However, just as a matter of interest, you must have a worse starting eleven in mind, or you couldn't have said what you did..

A small minority need to stop having a go and start supporting Andrews. I can't think of any positives in slating him at every opportunity. I agree with Brian, it's getting very boring now listening to the negative nonsense after every game whether he's played well or not.

I think the majority realise that he isn't the best footballer on the planet but they really want him to do well and really appreciate the fact that he gives 100% every game.

If it wasn't for Andrews then we probably would have lost today and a few other players who didn't contribute as much as him probably would be getting a lot of stick too. Thankfully we pulled off a great result because I would hate to read the amount of stick the Keith Andrew haters would have given him. It's bad enough when he actually makes a valuable contribution.

At 1-0 down Rovers seemed to stand off and let Chelsea keep possession. The crowd were getting annoyed.

Then, suddenly, a Rover's player put in three consecutive great tackles with verve and enthusiasm, winning the ball each time. This got the crowd roaring and the other players took notice and upped their game. The player in question? Phil Jones.

Then, in the second half, this giant of a footballer won header after header and intercepted frequently. No wonder he was voted MOM.

Everyone played well, especially towards the end in defending the point they deserved. Well done Rovers. :brfcsmilie:

I'm pleased with the point but I have to say I feel lucky considering how rubbish we were. We have absolutely no commitment to playing football and I thought we were particularly bad today. It's just lucky we caught Chelsea at the start of their title collapse.

Be interesting what they say on Match Of The Day tonight as well...

I think I might even bring myself to watch it.

They will just say it was a bad day at the office for Chelsea, without giving rovers credit for making it so, especially the 2nd half.

Was there only one booking in the game/ Not a Rovers player, but Chelsea?

Do we stick with Jones in defence VS Birmingham and leave Givet on the bench, or drop the young lad to the bench?

Great performance by the young lad, waited a long time for a solid performance from the team against a top 4 side. We certainly got one today. Puts us in a great position for Birmingham and Burnley away. Our home form has been great this season. If only we had a decent away form the table would be completely different.

Who bought the dingle Teddy today...own up? :rover:

A small minority need to stop having a go and start supporting Andrews. I can't think of any positives in slating him at every opportunity. I agree with Brian, it's getting very boring now listening to the negative nonsense after every game whether he's played well or not.

I think the majority realise that he isn't the best footballer on the planet but they really want him to do well and really appreciate the fact that he gives 100% every game.

If it wasn't for Andrews then we probably would have lost today and a few other players who didn't contribute as much as him probably would be getting a lot of stick too. Thankfully we pulled off a great result because I would hate to read the amount of stick the Keith Andrew haters would have given him. It's bad enough when he actually makes a valuable contribution.

He certainly isnt the best player but I think that our centre mid area is the weakest part of the team by far, if you put Andrews with a real midfield general, a ball winner you may well see a bit more to his game, by pairing him with Nzonzi you are getting 2 players that are'nt really influencing the game at all.

Too many times have I seen Nzonzi get the ball with space and he lays a simple square ball to Andrews only for Andrews to do the same back until it is either lost or launched long.

This area really needs to be adressed in the summer as does the left back slot if we want to progress, the tactics are working, players have started playing better and the results are coming but we really need to be creating more chances from the midfield area and holding posession better, we cant keep relying on set pieces and keeping the opposition from scoring.

I was hoping to see a bit of Linganzi today as I really feel Nzonzi needs a break, his passes are becoming wayward and his frustration is showing more and more.

Archived