BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

I kind of don't get that mentality, if the manager has the funds to spend as necessary then go for it, I think the concern is that the Owner may get tired of his plaything and move on leaving massive debts behind...I say live a little...

Spend whatever you need to turn us into Barcelona or Inter, couldn't care less if they spend 300 million in one hit as long as they don't spend it on dross

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he does get tired and buggers off then we would be left with a wage bill that we couldn't hope to pay. If on the other hand we buy the whole spanish and Portuguese under 21 squads the wages wouldn't be as massive and that all important sell on value would be pretty high.

I've offered wondered why the uber-rich owners didn't buy a decent international side for their club team. Even if one started with the U21s overtime they'd be a club and international powerhouse.

I've offered wondered why the uber-rich owners didn't buy a decent international side for their club team. Even if one started with the U21s overtime they'd be a club and international powerhouse.

Most U-21s don't mature to the full squads, you can't always buy all of those players (some of them are at much bigger clubs), and if you only used those U-21s (not saying that's what you meant) the lack of experience would probably get you relegated.

Most U-21s don't mature to the full squads, you can't always buy all of those players (some of them are at much bigger clubs), and if you only used those U-21s (not saying that's what you meant) the lack of experience would probably get you relegated.

But you could do like some of the big clubs do and bring in 2 or 3 young players from one place. One out of 3 maturing into a good player would cover the costs of the other 2 who would still probably be good enough to be sold on for a decent fee. The kids come in together and you get fewer problems with their settling in.

Who wants to develop and send them on their way? :wacko: If you become a buying club, you stock your playing coffers with winners and you go and win stuff with them, then they get old and retire.

If you get offered ridiculous money by Real Madrid or Man City then sure send the little darlings on their way but if this sale goes through we need to change our mentality.

Buying Premierships is a possibility, we have done it once, Man Utd have done it, Chelsea have done it and no doubt Man City will probably end that way as well.

Sell-on $ means nothing when you are trying to improve a squad to win big trophies. Arsenal develop but they certainly don't have the mentality to sell their best players unless they are of no value to the squad anymore or they are being offered massive dollars for them.

I think any one international team would struggle to make the semi's of the Champions League.

A bit of a nearly man...

No point in talking about targets just now really. There is no money until the takeover happens...and talk of a possible £300 million to spend only makes that pain worse.

300mill to spend, or 0 pounds to spend, either way, its painful to be a Rovers supporter right now. stuck in between a rock and a hard place ;)

Players that will end contract with Rovers in the end of the season:

Benjani

Chimbonda

Salgado

Mame Biram Diouf

Jason Roberts

Jason Brown

Grant Hanley

I'm glad that we will be able to get a few players off the wage bill at the end of the season. Salgado has been a good signing, but at the end of the year, he will be too old IMO and shouldn't be offered a new contract. The amount we could save on his wages will be vast. Diouf could be a potential signing for us if he does well. He could end up being one of those who is good enough for us, but not Man United. Chimbonda has flattered to deceive and has never been as good as he was when he played for Wigan. If Salgado leaves, we would have someone who could step in right away and make the position his own. And if Chimbonda does indeed get a new contract, then he probably will be our right back next year. The two Jason's have been loyal servants to the club, but the time has come for them to move on and play more regularly. Add in the likes of Zurab and Rigters to the list of players who will be out of contract then hopefully more of the deadwood will have been shifted and there will be less strain on the wage budget.

Just to play Devil's Advocate on the young players issue.....

A few years ago, two of the shining lights of the Dutch U-21s that were European Champs were Babel and Rigters. Huge transfer fee for Babel (was it £11 mill?) and not much for Rigters admittedly, but hardly gone on to justify what was spent on their transfer fees/wages have they? And those two were apparently fine prospects.

There's no easy money in 'just sign youngsters'.

A few years ago, two of the shining lights of the Dutch U-21s that were European Champs were Babel and Rigters. Huge transfer fee for Babel (was it £11 mill?) and not much for Rigters admittedly, but hardly gone on to justify what was spent on their transfer fees/wages have they? And those two were apparently fine prospects.

I see your point but it would still be wiser to invest young, ala Arsenal, than buy every person with a name and leave them vegging on the bench then off on a free, ala City.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Reb, seems to me the only answer is to get your scouting right. Doesn't matter what age your signings are as long as you get more right than wrong. Yep, potential returns on youngsters (Nzonzi, Samba might be examples) might be better, but there's a higher risk of em not working (Rigters, van Heerden, the vast majority of the academy). Sign the finished article and it'll cost you more but carries less risk (McCarthy).

Stunning insights r us.

Reb, seems to me the only answer is to get your scouting right. Doesn't matter what age your signings are as long as you get more right than wrong. Yep, potential returns on youngsters (Nzonzi, Samba might be examples) might be better, but there's a higher risk of em not working (Rigters, van Heerden, the vast majority of the academy). Sign the finished article and it'll cost you more but carries less risk (McCarthy).

Stunning insights r us.

Except if the finished article is getting paid more by you than he can earn elsewhere he might be reluctant to move on but younger players can be loaned out or sold thus relieving the club of their wage bill. I guess the truth is you need a balance - even Arsenal brought in Campbell to do a job and tide them over - but you mustn't give your more experienced players such comfort zone contracts that they drain your resources.

Good point, not forgetting Real Madrid flop Royston Drenthe and ex Wigan/Birmingham winger Daniel de Ridder

Stunning insights r us.

The thing about young players is that one good find can pay for about 10 failed ones. A good manager (like Hughes, and seemingly Sam) should be able to get a success:failure ratio far better than that, meaning investment in youth should be profitable.

A bit of a nearly man...

No point in talking about targets just now really. There is no money until the takeover happens...and talk of a possible £300 million to spend only makes that pain worse.

Hasn't Ali said 80-100m will me made immediatly available too the manager..

Thinking about it and the prices players are going for these days.. its not that huge an ammount imo.. still it would be enough if invested right to push us to a top 7 position and get a few good youngsters for the future..

Adam Barton at Preston looks like a player...any of the well-informed know why he left Rovers as a kid? Seems strange.

According to quite a few sources (pne website, wikipedia, various preston fan pages) he was released due to a serious back injury and Preston gambled on him the same day he was released.

The thing about young players is that one good find can pay for about 10 failed ones. A good manager (like Hughes, and seemingly Sam) should be able to get a success:failure ratio far better than that, meaning investment in youth should be profitable.

Yep, should. Boils down to scouting (and the manager!) IMHO.

Except if the finished article is getting paid more by you than he can earn elsewhere he might be reluctant to move on but younger players can be loaned out or sold thus relieving the club of their wage bill.

Fair enough, but as others have pointed out, you HAVE to pay a competitive wage and offer a contract length that'll tempt your target at the time that contract is offered or else you won't get the player in the first place. And your point about younger players - fine in theory, but they have to be good enough : remember what's happened over the past couple of years with Rigters? Comes down to scouting and the manager again (and I suppose the board if they decide on contract terms).

But that's enough of me prattling on. It's starting to get like TGM on the 'Are we sold yet?' thread. Sorry.

Archived