BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

Based on last night - and let's not forget this was a competitive match at international level - I would say had he signed Popov would have easily been our best midfielder, certainly our most creative player, and likely one our best players full stop.

A very big missed opportunity IMO.

Sorry but I don't get how someone can get that from one game - he hardly played a starring role, he just looked lively and showed some nice touches.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this board!

"We should have done everything possible to get Popov, if we go into twenty five million pounds into debt for it, then so be it. He could bring Champions League football to Ewood."

It was one game and based on the World Cup, England are hardly a good benchmark test. Stop basing 'well thought out' opinions on one game!

That...doesn't, make sense.

We had £2.25m put aside for a striker. Popov just moved to Turkey for €1.5m. We couldn't sign him because we already had "four strikers", although why Benjani was signed first, I do not know. Either way, it doesn't add up and the fans have a right to be cheesed off. No one has made the crazy postulation you're speaking of.

Also, Sam obviously liked the look of Popov, and he showed his class last night, so you're questioning the manager's judgement as well.

its rare for me to have a go at the board, its a hard job, however we should of signed popov regards of how many forwards we have, in the next window various player will no doublt move on.

Its rare for a good young player who wants to play for us and is within our pocket. Its the first big mistake that the new mangerment has made. Less hope its one that does not bite us.

Sorry but I don't get how someone can get that from one game - he hardly played a starring role, he just looked lively and showed some nice touches.

There are very few skilful attacking midfield players in world football at present - certainly at the price - he looked far better than anything we have got and he should have been signed.

Popov isn't an out and out striker, anyway, so that excuse doesn't hold up. Is Dunn a striker now? It looks very much like the club took the cheap option, signed Benjani, and then used Roberts as a scapegoat in case we didn't sign Popov. Pretty sneaky, sis.

Popov looked ok last night and exactly what he is - a 'maybe' for the Premier League who would need time to adjust.

However at the price - one that the mighty Gazientepspor can afford I note - he had to be worth a gamble.

But if the deal depended on selling Roberts, as would now bizarrely seems the reason, then that is a joke.

Popov would have got a permit on appeal - if there had been one.

Still no mention of the 'mystery Premier League striker' anywhere...and a new suggestion that there were 'mystery bidders' for 'mystery Rovers players.'

Sophistry and withcraft.

That...doesn't, make sense.

We had £2.25m put aside for a striker. Popov just moved to Turkey for €1.5m. We couldn't sign him because we already had "four strikers", although why Benjani was signed first, I do not know. Either way, it doesn't add up and the fans have a right to be cheesed off. No one has made the crazy postulation you're speaking of.

Also, Sam obviously liked the look of Popov, and he showed his class last night, so you're questioning the manager's judgement as well.

Yep--hit the nail on the head here. If we could not possibly have 5 strikers on the books then Benjani shouldn't have been signed and Roberts should have been retained. At that fee the Popov signing was a no brainer. And I don't accept that he was simply " one for the future'. He would have been one for the present AND the future. Very sad.

As for the future what future is there in 2 strikers aged 32 and 33? Just doesn't make sense.

The only explanation is that with a takeover imminent the Trust has withdrawn ALL funding.

Does anyone know what we apparently bid for Popov? If he went to Turkey for 1.5m euros and we wouldn't even match that valuation it sounds very stingy to me.

I reckon he would have been a very useful player for us and I can't believe we went for Benjani instead. The excuse "we already have 4 strikers" can't really be used anyway as Popov is more of an attacking midfielder, like Dunn. He would have had good resale value so I really can't understand why we didn't get him in.

Everything points to him being a useful acquisition but no, we wanted Benjani instead. Something doesn't add up here. I am really beginning to think we had no money and JW was just trying to make out we at least made an effort.

Lets just hope no signings were made because the Trust were confident of a takeover going through soon which means we can spend freely in future.

Yep--hit the nail on the head here. If we could not possibly have 5 strikers on the books then Benjani shouldn't have been signed and Roberts should have been retained. At that fee the Popov signing was a no brainer. And I don't accept that he was simply " one for the future'. He would have been one for the present AND the future. Very sad.

As for the future what future is there in 2 strikers aged 32 and 33? Just doesn't make sense.

The only explanation is that with a takeover imminent the Trust has withdrawn ALL funding.

Agree with you regarding the Trustees and funding - if a takeover is imminent and they have discussed figures before DD is carried out, why would the Trustees splash the cash and end up losing out on money, certainly woudln`t be out of benefit to the club.

Sooner the Trustees are ousted out of Rovers the better for me - the Walkers seem to be too interested in their own wealth away from the club and we need new owners and a new direction for the club and a focus on development of trainign facilities, expansion and marketing of the club as a whole.

Agreed jim. Definitely one with the 'resale value' that gets thrown around a fair bit on here.

God I wish I'd never mentioned resale value now, bloody Kevin Davies!

I think the emphasis on resale value will increase with the money coming. Investment in the youth system could produce high returns if we can get in some good talent, always the big problem.

Popov looked decent for a young player, played some nice passes and showed a desire to get into the box. Would have been a good buy for a low price. Maybe we could look at him again in the summer if he has a good season for his new turkish team.

Popov looked ok last night and exactly what he is - a 'maybe' for the Premier League who would need time to adjust.

However at the price - one that the mighty Gazientepspor can afford I note - he had to be worth a gamble.

But if the deal depended on selling Roberts, as would now bizarrely seems the reason, then that is a joke.

Popov would have got a permit on appeal - if there had been one.

Still no mention of the 'mystery Premier League striker' anywhere...and a new suggestion that there were 'mystery bidders' for 'mystery Rovers players.'

Sophistry and withcraft.

Glad I am not the only heretic that thinks this.

I don't buy all this talk of, the club/Trustees not willing to part with a poultry amount for Popov, because of the pending purchase.

Syed would have agreed a potential buyout figure subject to what was on the books , after due diligence the bartering begins either way, or not if everything as the initial heads of terms.

JW stated we exited the transfer window with only our own finances in mind, so unless he is lying, what Syed has to pay for the club is irrelevant.

If Sam decided Povov was to much of a risk, then his judgement is in question IMO.

He may well have taken time to adjust, would it be any longer than Benjani needs to get match fit?.

From what I saw last night, I doubt it would have been more than a month before he offered similar game time to Dunn or Benjani.

Finally I'm pretty sure that after all his efforts (Syed) to date, he would not have been arguing over a couple of million on the asking price, (increased asset value) that one purchase was in line with how Syed has said he wants the club to go forward, buy young, develop the potential and then sell for a profit.

White man speak with fork tongue. ;)

If Sam decided Povov was to much of a risk, then his judgement is in question IMO.

Wonder if it was Sam that made that decision.

He may well have taken time to adjust, would it be any longer than Benjani needs to get match fit?.

Don't hold your breath, I certainly wont.

Usijisifu kuwa mutendaji wa jambo kabla, lakini jisifu baada ya kutenda.

is it just me or did journalism standards sort of drop in this transfer window too? It's like few professionals actually bothered to find out whether a certain link was genuine or not before reporting it as fact. (not accusing anyone in particular)

Archived