SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Absolutely gutted we missed out on Popov. He's barely put a foot wrong tonight - his passing and running would've been perfect for us, just behind the main striker. Bloody work permits & bureaucracy!

No work permit issue, just a short arms and deep pockets issue

Popov played really well tonight I thought. Looked a technically good player. A good passer, good movement, links the play well and has good pace. He would have been perfect for our team playing off the main striker so makes it very disappointing that we missed out on him.

i agree by far the best player on the b on the pitch for bulgaria.the board should be ashamed of themselves what a player he would have been for us an absolute disgrace 1.5 million and his resale value would rocket.

Christ he looked lively and showed some nice touches. That's about it.

He looked far better than any of our current mid fielders.

Considering we could have signed him for a relatively small fee, the whole episode leaves me feeling frustrated and disappointed.

seems we missed out on something a bit special in Popov.

Overall the most significant aspect of this window is that there were approaches for players we were not willing to sell and we successfully resisted all of them.

I genuinely hadn't realised that. Who have we had enquiries/bids for?

I don't know what game some people were watching but after last night's performance I think we will regret not getting hold of Popov. He has something about him and his pace would have been ideal for our front line. I was thinking after last night we could have had this much better player now all we have to look forward to JR grinning inanely like a Cheshire cat & an old bloke with dodgy knees hardly ideal while Popov goes to Turkey have to say makes this window thoroughly depressing. Also another question that needs answering in the Q & A with JW it said quite specifically we still had the 2.5M Benni money for the summer & wages saved surely when deciding about strikers our scouting team must realise it would have been better to get someone like Popov than Banjoni. If they can't work this out then we have no chance. Also one thing worth noting Banjoni the older he gets his goalscoring statistics get worse & compared to Popov he is a far worse player. Another frustrating thing about this whole transfer he did not go to Turkey for the reported 3M Euros he actually went for 1.5M Euros which makes it even more depressing. I have to conclude this window has been totally depressing the only good thing done was to secure our better players on longer contracts & resisted bids for our better players apart from that totally uninspiring hopefully Jan will have more to spend.

Rant Over!.

A small extract form th JW Q&A in the LET

Over a month ago we made a bid for a Premier

League striker who we were told was available but he was withdrawn from the market.

Subsequently we made bids in Sweden and Bulgaria but initially in both instances valuations were greater than ours.

They were different types of players, both for the future, and on balance Sam opted for the experience of Benjani, following extensive ‘testing’ at Brockhall.

I'm guessing the bids in Sweden & Bulgaria were Advic and Popov , but who was the mystery PL striker ?? Beattie did move , Vaughan is still available , wonder if it was Heskey or N'gog perhaps??? maybe Nicko or someone can enlighten us

I don't know what game some people were watching but after last night's performance I think we will regret not getting hold of Popov. He has something about him and his pace would have been ideal for our front line. I was thinking after last night we could have had this much better player now all we have to look forward to JR grinning inanely like a Cheshire cat & an old bloke with dodgy knees hardly ideal while Popov goes to Turkey have to say makes this window thoroughly depressing. Also another question that needs answering in the Q & A with JW it said quite specifically we still had the 2.5M Benni money for the summer & wages saved surely when deciding about strikers our scouting team must realise it would have been better to get someone like Popov than Banjoni. If they can't work this out then we have no chance. Also one thing worth noting Banjoni the older he gets his goalscoring statistics get worse & compared to Popov he is a far worse player. Another frustrating thing about this whole transfer he did not go to Turkey for the reported 3M Euros he actually went for 1.5M Euros which makes it even more depressing. I have to conclude this window has been totally depressing the only good thing done was to secure our better players on longer contracts & resisted bids for our better players apart from that totally uninspiring hopefully Jan will have more to spend.

Rant Over!.

We've been well and truly shafted this summer. Huzzah, we're no longer a selling club! We're just not a buying one, either... Popov was exactly the kind of player we should have signed, but who on earth needs him, when you got Benjani! If not for the potential takeover, there'd be a greater outcry for our dealings this summer.

A small extract form th JW Q&A in the LET

Over a month ago we made a bid for a Premier

League striker who we were told was available but he was withdrawn from the market.

Subsequently we made bids in Sweden and Bulgaria but initially in both instances valuations were greater than ours.

They were different types of players, both for the future, and on balance Sam opted for the experience of Benjani, following extensive ‘testing’ at Brockhall.

I'm guessing the bids in Sweden & Bulgaria were Advic and Popov , but who was the mystery PL striker ?? Beattie did move , Vaughan is still available , wonder if it was Heskey or N'gog perhaps??? maybe Nicko or someone can enlighten us

I would say it was Ngog cant think of any other prem stirkers that were available and then withdrawn from the market...

Based on last night - and let's not forget this was a competitive match at international level - I would say had he signed Popov would have easily been our best midfielder, certainly our most creative player, and likely one our best players full stop.

A very big missed opportunity IMO.

Based on last night - and let's not forget this was a competitive match at international level - I would say had he signed Popov would have easily been our best midfielder, certainly our most creative player, and likely one our best players full stop.

A very big missed opportunity IMO.

We didnt miss the opportunity. He got denied a work permit.

I love this board!

"We should have done everything possible to get Popov, if we go into twenty five million pounds into debt for it, then so be it. He could bring Champions League football to Ewood."

It was one game and based on the World Cup, England are hardly a good benchmark test. Stop basing 'well thought out' opinions on one game!

Archived