BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it just me or did journalism standards sort of drop in this transfer window too? It's like few professionals actually bothered to find out whether a certain link was genuine or not before reporting it as fact. (not accusing anyone in particular)

Completely agree - pretty much from every angle or 'insider'.

JW said that this was also one of his bugbears in his interview yesterday - people, usually 'insiders' or people with apparent contacts, with unreliable snippets of information passing their opinion off as fact, particularly on internet messageboards.

Perfect examples being the Popov work permit issue (where no work permit was ever even applied for), links for players such as Reo-Coker (which JW confirmed that there was never any contact whatsoever) and non-Rovers issues such as Gudjohnssen being a banker to Fulham and van der Vaart's transfer to Spurs being some kind of an internal mole-hunt joke set up by Harry Redknapp.

Again, just goes to show that although it is interesting to receiving gossip and it does provoke conversation and debate, it should absolutely not be taken as gospel.

Completely agree - pretty much from every angle or 'insider'.

JW said that this was also one of his bugbears in his interview yesterday - people, usually 'insiders' or people with apparent contacts, with unreliable snippets of information passing their opinion off as fact, particularly on internet messageboards.

Perfect examples being the Popov work permit issue (where no work permit was ever even applied for), links for players such as Reo-Coker (which JW confirmed that there was never any contact whatsoever) and non-Rovers issues such as Gudjohnssen being a banker to Fulham and van der Vaart's transfer to Spurs being some kind of an internal mole-hunt joke set up by Harry Redknapp.

Again, just goes to show that although it is interesting to receiving gossip and it does provoke conversation and debate, it should absolutely not be taken as gospel.

You never did get around to naming the Mystery striker did you? Or did you just forget?.

Remind us again what did you say? something like. I'll name him by the end of the week signed or not.

He did say that. The next day. After saying this:

EIDUR GUDJOHNSEN...was being pushed and discussed a couple of weeks back...Rovers were unhappy with how much they would have to pay to take him on loan...and Eidur fancied London...Stoke City thought they had him...but a few hours ago Fulham came in strongly and decisively...he should be there by morning...decent player, but if they don't want to come it is no loss...except for the local bookies perhaps.

Don't put your money on it though. It's quite clear that he was still always likely to sign for Stoke.

You never did get around to naming the Mystery striker did you? Or did you just forget?.

Remind us again what did you say? something like. I'll name him by the end of the week signed or not.

And just like that..............He's gone

(Cryer Soze)

usual_suspects_keyser_soze_small1.jpg

Don't put your money on it though. It's quite clear that he was still always likely to sign for Stoke.

Quite clear to still always likely in the space of a sentence.

Good work.

Did the Stoke and Gudjohnsen story in the paper on Monday...then Gudjohnsen's father and agent rang Stoke on Monday evening to say they were going to Fulham the next day...Fulham were after him and had been for some time - they were the player's first choice...then on deadline day Stoke increase their offer to both the player and Monaco and get their man...as I warned the gamblers on here was a possibility...you may have spotted the move went from a loan deal to a permanent deal because of the change of terms on the final day...something else that was to Stoke's advantage because Fulham didn't want to spend any more.

Hope that makes it more than 'quite' clear.

Nicko, Houllier to Villa tomorrow? just confirming tons of rumours that are obviously going around.

Don't suppose you know the details of whether he comes in as stand alone manager with MaDonald reverting to a more senior coaching role or whether he will be director of football in a more mentoring sense to Kevin MacDonald who would become head coach?

Nicko, Houllier to Villa tomorrow? just confirming tons of rumours that are obviously going around.

Don't suppose you know the details of whether he comes in as stand alone manager with MaDonald reverting to a more senior coaching role or whether he will be director of football in a more mentoring sense to Kevin MacDonald who would become head coach?

What a sad reflection of the Premier Legaue that a top six club cannot find a rising star or established manager because they cannot afford the compo...

Curbishley, Sven and now Houllier. The unemployed ranks.

If Villa were so sure about Houllier why not appoint him last Friday? Why wait until this week?

I get the feeling Martin O'Neill is going to be fondly remembered round about October.

I would be pretty gutted if I was a Villa fan at the moment.

Could be a lot worse! They might be a team that doesn't finish 6th three years in a row, have a huge stadium, can get big crowds and have a lot of good players.

They have spent a fair bit to finish 6th, with no silverware too.

Houllier taking over, not sure about their proposed managerial set-up - maybe goes to show there is a dearth of good managers around at the moment?

Houllier has his flaws but he did ok at Liverpool, he did what most managers don't do and actually won some trophies, also Liverpool were not a great side when he took over, so don't think him getting trophies should just have been a given of being Liverpool manager.

Never really liked Houlliers footy and his signings were hit and miss at Pool I thought, but gonna get behind him, I mean....I would have been livid as a Blackburn fan when Allardyce came in, but he's ended up doing well and turning a lot of peoples view on him. Hopefully Houllier can do the same.

At the end of the day, he's probably a better manager than Martin O'Neill so i'll give him a shot.

Don't look like hes gonna be DOF either, think he's just getting the job.

I would be pretty gutted if I was a Villa fan at the moment.

I might be more gutted if I was Friedel or Warnock. Houllier shipped them both out.

By the way, What odds a certain English striker gets a big money transfer to Spain in the Summer to pay for his matrimonial costs :blush:

By the way, What odds a certain English striker gets a big money transfer to Spain in the Summer to pay for his matrimonial costs :blush:

To date there's two of em.

I might be more gutted if I was Friedel or Warnock. Houllier shipped them both out.

Look at it vfrom another angle...... The passage if time strongly suggests that was the best thing that happened to the pair of them.

"Sam Allardyce's truffle-hound's nose". Good grief. Has Paul Wilson (if that is his real name) got proof of this? Has he actually seen Sam sniffing for truffles on all fours in a hound stylee? I haven't and quite frankly I don't want to, not that I believe it or anything.

This is clearly another attempt to undermine the entire football club by claiming Sam has a massive truffle problem. I fully expect Sam to issue a statement today / tomorrow and issue a claim for damages at half time on Saturday.

Archived