BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kentaro

philipl

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't follow this thread. As I understand it Kentaro are going to be VH's football advisers? People have said "What do businessmen from India know about football and the Premier League?"

Doesn't Kentaro have a vast football involvement so don't they fill a gap as it were?

Additionally, if they have a lot of players on their books, they can favour us with them, isn't that to our advantage? I understand the fear that, if in a position of power, they could benefit financially from foisting on us players we didn't want but that fear seems to have been dealt with in recent posts from Philip L.

So what's the issue? Seriously.

Back on thread---never did get an answer to this post.

Back on thread---never did get an answer to this post.

Advisers is one thing, replacing the manager, the team and the board is another matter altogether. Even the police take advice from criminals- that is a metaphor not an accusation.

Ferguson was pretty well spot on mind you when he criticised Kentaro's great rival Paul Stretford for giving bad advice. At the end of the day, an agent's client is a footballer, not a club.

and not Donna's kebab.

And to think I got a 25% warning for a remark which on the scale of outrage/obscenity was 0.0000000000001% as bad as that little series of posts. AND what's more ..... I have still got it 4years on!!! Who said there is justice in this world? ;)

Every penny going down Kentaro's throats is a penny not going to Rovers.

Cobblers. Kentaro's fee could mean one less chicken shed in Pune for all anyone knows, we are not the only mouth they have to feed.

Venky's know nothing about football and the EPL, so it seems logical and beneficial to me that they engage advisors who do.

Find me a knowledgeable advisor in the football world who doesn't have their snout in the trough.

Every penny going down Kentaro's throats is a penny not going to Rovers.

I agree with this. I fully support Venkys taking advice and paying whomever they like for it. As owners, it's their decision. On the other hand, they have the cash and they have the brain power in the form of JW and Sam. I can't see Venkys needing Kentaro. And that suggests to me that the owners don't know much about football management. Which is hire good staff, trust your staff, check the numbers and otherwise leave things alone. All in my opinion, of course.

I don't understand all this fuss about the potential involvment of Kentaro in our transfer activities.

What's the difference really between us relying heavily on their list of players or us buying most of our players from the manager's favourite agent's stable? (Souness and Willie Mckay spring to mind) I'm sure Sam will have his favourite contacts too.

They both still have to be paid.

I don't understand all this fuss about the potential involvment of Kentaro in our transfer activities.

What's the difference really between us relying heavily on their list of players or us buying most of our players from the manager's favourite agent's stable? (Souness and Willie Mckay spring to mind) I'm sure Sam will have his favourite contacts too.

Reading the LT this morning, it seems clear that both John Williams and Sam Allardyce are drawing up their list of possible signings for January while the owners and Kentaro are holding separate meetings to discuss budgets and potential signings. As yet, it would appear that the new owners and Kentaro are not discussing these matters with the manager and that has to be a worry. If the new owners allow Kentaro and not the manager to have the final say on signings it can only lead to problems.

Reading the LT this morning, it seems clear that both John Williams and Sam Allardyce are drawing up their list of possible signings for January while the owners and Kentaro are holding separate meetings to discuss budgets and potential signings. As yet, it would appear that the new owners and Kentaro are not discussing these matters with the manager and that has to be a worry. If the new owners allow Kentaro and not the manager to have the final say on signings it can only lead to problems.

Agree entirely, the manager should always have the final say!!

I do not think we should speculate on this. I would be surprised if they have not already had conversations about players Sam wants. Sam has been quoted on sky as saying there will be changes in january. That suggests that conversations have already taken place. Sam may have a list and Kentaro may then see Sam's list and then maybe let him know that such and such a player is available. Venky's have said they will give Sam their support for now. Cannot see them doing that, then ignoring his player requests. I hope that Kentaro may have a hand in getting rid of some players on Rovers books, chimbonda, grella and andrews come to mind at the moment. Getting rid of those and replacing them will be helpful.

I think it is more to do with the power in all this - if they (Kentaro/SEM) are purely going to assist us and put names forward then in theory that should be OK.

As long as the manager makes the final decision all could/should be fine.

Can see why people are worried as this potentially could turn out to be a nightmare, just look at other clubs when owners get too involved in the football side of things, most decent experienced managers won’t accept it too.

Be in absolutely no doubt that if JW and/or Sam go during the course of this season, we will be in the deepest ###### imaginable.

To be fair, that's complete conjecture. You don't know who would replace him were he to leave. Hence you can't say we would be in the ****.

It makes a good soundbite though, I'll give you that.

I think it is more to do with the power in all this - if they (Kentaro/SEM) are purely going to assist us and put names forward then in theory that should be OK.

As long as the manager makes the final decision all could/should be fine.

Can see why people are worried as this potentially could turn out to be a nightmare, just look at other clubs when owners get too involved in the football side of things, most decent experienced managers won’t accept it too.

Comioli, Arnesen etc.

They chose the signings for the manager. The teams where these guys worked have had ups and downs but I wouldn't say they were all in perpetual crisis

Archived