503 members have voted

1. 1. Are Venkys right to have stuffed \Big Sam

• Yes, glad hes flown the coop
    • I'd have given him a bit more time.
    • No, theyve cocked this up.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell! Saved me typing it. Our thoughts are frighteningly similar - other than the fact that you're a Rover and I'm a Wanderer, of course.

You will not replace Allardyce with a better manager, whether you enjoy his style or not.

I've supported Sam since he was appointed. People don't like him as a person - fine. People don't like his style of football - fine. People think he's a bad or average manager - demented.

I like Sam, not because he's a likeable guy, but because I respect him for the job he does and the effort he puts into it. Anyone can clap their hands and yell words of encouragement to the players, but not everyone can be as intelligent, creative and forward-thinking at their job as Sam is. He doesn't have a "style" to play in, he has tactics. Sam was successful here and at Bolton not because we play crap football, but because he does a rigorous job of identifying the opponent's weak spots and maximising the strengths of his own team. It hasn't always worked, but his statistics at both clubs shows that his way worked more often than it didn't.

Sam is a credit to the game and someone that truly stands out as a manager. You get neutrals and our own fans talking crap about him, yet years down the track people will still remember the "Sam way" because he took average clubs like ours and made them competitive, frustrating the big teams in the process. I have no doubt in my mind that given funds and the right players, Sam could've continued to build a strong team that would eventually play interesting football. Anyone who's watched us while players like Olsson, Hoilett, Mame and EH Diouf were on know that with the right players putting in the right performances, our team was actually exciting to watch. Bolton was much the same with the flair players they had in their squad.

They made a big mistake in my eyes to sack a manager that knew exactly what he was doing and knew what's needed to not only survive in this league, but progress. I HOPE they didn't, but I realistically fear that I will be proven right.

Nice tactic for dodging the rest of the post which pointed out you were talking nonsense! Good work.

Not really LeChuck. If a poll was conducted asking should Allardyce be the club manager in the long term, I firmly believe that most would vote "no".

I think the major disagreement here is over the timing, not the action.

Not really LeChuck. If a poll was conducted asking should Allardyce be the club manager in the long term, I firmly believe that most would vote "no".

I'm not going beyond this post with this, but like TGM said, that wasn't the question and therefore completely irrelevant.

• Moderation Lead

My god, it's like a school playground......

Venky's have made some god-awful decisions thus far. Sacking Allardyce at this stage of the season was ridiculous.

I don't believe for one second that Maradona will be our new manager, all this is a load of tosh to sell papers and get people watching SSN as per the David Beckham story.

People need to step back, chill and see what happens next. If we get an awesome manager in, some good new players in January and start winning then this whole tide of bitterness will turn on its head!

Find me an academic paper that says that online polls are significant, not biased and a good indicator of opinion.

Then I will agree with you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus Bucky.

It's come to this.

It's a straw poll. It's the internet equivalent of getting a bunch of people in a room to put their hands up, since people can't vote twice unless they clear their cache etc and unless there's a movement for people to do that, then that's unlikely.

Statistical significance doesn't apply.

Besides, no one would ever commission a study on that since the question depends on what question you're asking, what website it's published on and the way the question is worded.

It's far more statistically significant than any other method that's been used to gauge the opinion of Rovers fans.

If that poll had said the majority of Rovers fans were FOR the sacking you'd be one of the first to quote it, we both know that. Only I'd accept that point and try and argue why the weight of opinion was wrong, whereas you're talking absolute bull and in denial of that fact. As per usual.

Find me an academic paper that says that online polls are significant, not biased and a good indicator of opinion.

Then I will agree with you.

Weren't you on here proclaiming that the majority of people approved of the sacking on other websites not too long ago?

Maybe that's more a reflection of both being used to the stagnation of persistent mediocrity.

By better, I once saw someone sleeping in the stands. Summed it up for me.

Which is all very well, but I guess it all depends how important the "top 5" is compared to the "entertainment" bit.

You won't find many managers with a better record than Sam, 4 top 8 premiership finishes with us, whilst spending virtually nothing. Qualified for Europe twice and made a cup final. Who will you get with a better record (and yes there are managers with better records out there but they've usually had lots to spend, and freedom to spend it!)

He won't entertain but he will get results.

I doubt you'll find a manager capable of doing what your new owners want. But good luck trying.

I doubt you'll find a manager capable of doing what your new owners want. But good luck trying.

Nail on the head - new manager will have to be someone pretty special to get us playing "good football" plus getting results.

Too many people have been getting carried away with teams such as Blackpool & WBA this season - it is a strange season, so far, and the league is very tight - let's see how some of the teams playing amazing football get on when they get on a losing run early next year.

I thought you would resort to insults.

It's your usual style. You do your profession no favours.

I said you were talking bull. Because you were.

I also qualified it with a fairly good explanation as to why I felt you were talking bull and made some very salient points. So no, I wouldn't say I "resorted" to insults at all.

It says a lot about you than you don't seem to have the capability to reply to the content of the post, yet instead focus on about three words.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but pray for the community at large it doesn't involve using your brain.

And that there is where I appear to differ in opinion from many of the recent posters.

Supporting Blackburn Rovers was, for me, becoming a chore.

Many more people feel the same, some argue thats not the case and don't even go to matches, so make of that what you will.

Allardyce has gone, good riddance.

Blackburn get above themselves: Sam Allardyce won't be jobless for long

They seem to have decided, in fact, that Blackburn can do better than simply operate in a mid-table comfort bubble under Allardyce, taking the occasional heavy beating but usually picking up enough points to stay out of relegation trouble. They might be right too, and all they have to do now is prove it by finding the new Brian Clough or Rafa Benítez, someone who can take over what looks to everyone else like an umpromising outfit and send it shooting up the table by sheer force of personality or tactical acumen. If they can do that, fine. If they cannot, Blackburn's owners may eventually come to realise that the club under Allardyce was actually punching above its weight, doing as well as could be reasonably expected at a time when most avenues to success are closed off by vast sums of money.

Can't be bothered tracking back to see what the details of the poll were.

But I think it was 7,000 people voted ... and if that is the same poll as the one I've just seen then three quarters say it was a bad decision to bin him.

Note the wording of the poll, "is it the right decision", not "is Sam Allardyce the right man for the long term". People can be anti-Sam, but pro-keeping him on until end of season.

Allowing for people voting twice, I'd say it was a large enough sample, even if it's not a random cross-section of fans who decide to vote (rather than have someone poll them). Given the difference between for and against, you can be confident the majority are against.

So no, I wouldn't say I "resorted" to insults at all.....I have no idea what you do for a living, but pray for the community at large it doesn't involve using your brain.

I can't decide if, when posting, you think you are being funny or you are the caricature of the nerdy keyboard warrior. Perhaps we should run a poll...

Can't be bothered tracking back to see what the details of the poll were.

But I think it was 7,000 people voted ... and if that is the same poll as the one I've just seen then three quarters say it was a bad decision to bin him.

Note the wording of the poll, "is it the right decision", not "is Sam Allardyce the right man for the long term". People can be anti-Sam, but pro-keeping him on until end of season.

Allowing for people voting twice, I'd say it was a large enough sample, even if it's not a random cross-section of fans who decide to vote (rather than have someone poll them). Given the difference between for and against, you can be confident the majority are against.

Doesn't really matter though Brian does it? the manager has gone and we move on.

I have a brain. And it likes to be entertained.

I get entertainment, not just from 90 mins on a Saturday, but looking at the league table and satisfying myself that my club is well placed and safe - it is about results, have you forgotten Ince's tenure of flowing football and er, no organisation and er no fooking points!

Archived