BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers new Chairman - Who will it be?!

Hughesy

Ok, to sum up.

Everyone knew about Paul Agnew being in line to be new chairman.

Right...

Not everyone, but I've heard it from half a dozen places and whilst I think all of those can be traced back to the same distribution point, I think it's fair to say more people know than should. It's almost as it somebody intentionally leaked it to cause trouble

And Agnew has been to India.

Right...

Same source, same people, but I suspect one person hit the one his the head a few pages back, but his comments went unnoticed.

And Agnew is part of a worldwide chicken-farming conspiracy.

Fine...

And there are men in suits about.

Would they be white suits by any chance?

:D

Given the position we're in, is it surprising people are going a little nuts?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the same Paul Agnew, whose PR work, is some of the worst ever? I cannot believe if true, that. Venkys will appoint him as chairman. My God this is depressing, might as well give Nicko the job.

Those of you slamming Nicko for saying Keano gives a good presser - well the fact is the guy does. All the ones on Sky since Keano came have been entertaining and upbeat. HE GIVES A GOOD PRESSER.

Just because he gives a good presser, that doesnt make him a good manager, I can understand that. But just because his managerial skills have not fully shone yet doesnt mean he doesnt give a good presser. So Nicko is right in this case.

As for Agnew -- how many of you even know him/have spoken to him/have met him? None of you im guessing?

Same old thing with people on here jumping to conclusions when there isnt even solid proof that hes in the running! When John Williams came he had no experience and yet he is given God-like status among you lot. Agnew could be the same, how can you possibly judge him already?

I gather that Agnew is the press guy and works on the programme etc and from everytime Ive picked the programme up its been top notch so cant slam him on that one. As for PR well youll always get newspapers tearing our club to shreds he cant do much about that. I mean look now you yourselves are making the club look rubbish with all your negative comments! Agnew cant do anything about that.

High time you lot stopped moaning and speculating, stopped booing and calling for Keano to be sacked, and actually started supporting the lads. I bet lots of you will argue the comeback was down to you - no it wasnt. It was down to the players and manager. All you could do was boo and turn on Keano!

Grow up! If you keep moaning we will go down and Venky's may be partially to blame but so will the negative fans.

PS I have just looked at the 'interview' section on this site and there is one of Dunny a few years back. He got asked if he looked at this MB and he said not anymore because the people on here dont have a clue about football. And he is right.

Truth is Venkys have bought the club for millions. Many of you wouldnt even put a grand into the club.

High time you lot stopped moaning and speculating, stopped booing and calling for Keano to be sacked, and actually started supporting the lads. I bet lots of you will argue the comeback was down to you - no it wasnt. It was down to the players and manager. All you could do was boo and turn on Keano!

Grow up! If you keep moaning we will go down and Venky's may be partially to blame but so will the negative fans.

Have you ever stopped to think that the negativity raining down from the stands at then end of the 1st half might have been partly responsible for the 2nd half improvement? :huh: Just for the record I didn't boo and never would either but if it helped then maybe I should.

btw Have you attended a BRFC press conference?

Many of us have put tens of thousands into the club.

OK my bad. Still nowhere near what the new owners have put in. I bet if we made a committee now saying lets all put £X thousand in each to buy the club from Venkys we'd get nowhere near the amount needed. Put up or shut up.

Those of you slamming Nicko for saying Keano gives a good presser - well the fact is the guy does. All the ones on Sky since Keano came have been entertaining and upbeat. HE GIVES A GOOD PRESSER.

Just because he gives a good presser, that doesnt make him a good manager, I can understand that. But just because his managerial skills have not fully shone yet doesnt mean he doesnt give a good presser. So Nicko is right in this case.

As for Agnew -- how many of you even know him/have spoken to him/have met him? None of you im guessing?

Same old thing with people on here jumping to conclusions when there isnt even solid proof that hes in the running! When John Williams came he had no experience and yet he is given God-like status among you lot. Agnew could be the same, how can you possibly judge him already?

I gather that Agnew is the press guy and works on the programme etc and from everytime Ive picked the programme up its been top notch so cant slam him on that one. As for PR well youll always get newspapers tearing our club to shreds he cant do much about that. I mean look now you yourselves are making the club look rubbish with all your negative comments! Agnew cant do anything about that.

PS I have just looked at the 'interview' section on this site and there is one of Dunny a few years back. He got asked if he looked at this MB and he said not anymore because the people on here dont have a clue about football. And he is right.

Truth is Venkys have bought the club for millions. Many of you wouldnt even put a grand into the club.

Oh Venky's and Paul flaming Agnew do know football, do they?

Come off it!

He puts together the programme and is the club's press officer FFS!

Tell me ANY Premier League football club (or any club from any sport for that matter) that would employ such a person as club Chairman!

Complete amateurism that I just wouldn't have thought possible just THREE MONTHS ago.

Have you ever stopped to think that the negativity raining down from the stands at then end of the 1st half might have been partly responsible for the 2nd half improvement? :huh: Just for the record I didn't boo and never would either but if it helped then maybe I should.

btw Have you attended a BRFC press conference?

Agreed that the half time reaction might have stuck a rocket up their bums but the manager MUST have had a lot to do with the second half comeback because he changed it tactically and they all looked up for it, that didnt come from the fans booing.

Its great that you dont boo, i am of the belief it doesnt do any good.

And i dont attend the pressers because i am not part of the media but i have watched every single one of keano's, big sam's, ince's and i can tell you for certain that keano gives a good presser - speaks positively, openly. results arent matching the quality of his pressers though.

Oh Venky's and Paul flaming Agnew do know football, do they?

Come off it!

He puts together the programme and is the club's press officer FFS!

Tell me ANY Premier League football club (or any club from any sport for that matter) that would employ such a person as club Chairman!

Complete amateurism that I just wouldn't have thought possible just THREE MONTHS ago.

I only praised the programme because some have criticised it on here. Agnew must know football. You dont become CE of preston by not knowing football. you don't stay as press office for 10+ years by not knowing football. not saying he is the right person for chairman, but theres too much unfair criticism of him from people who i imagine have never even seen the guy!

OK my bad. Still nowhere near what the new owners have put in. I bet if we made a committee now saying lets all put £X thousand in each to buy the club from Venkys we'd get nowhere near the amount needed. Put up or shut up.

Venky's have put in cash, of which they have plenty, in order to enhance their business strategy. Thousands of rovers fans have put in a lifetime of travelling, support [in good times and many bad times] and cash [in many cases that they could hardly afford].

Have your views on football by all means, but the fans of BRFC have put more into this club than Venky's ever will.

Venky's have put in cash, of which they have plenty, in order to enhance their business strategy. Thousands of rovers fans have put in a lifetime of travelling, support [in good times and many bad times] and cash [in many cases that they could hardly afford].

Have your views on football by all means, but the fans of BRFC have put more into this club than Venky's ever will.

I do agree. Me and my family have at times had to sell household items in the past just to go and watch Rovers away on cold, wet evenings. Many people do sacrifice that for their clubs. I doubt Venkys will ever feel the affinity for Rovers that we all do.

And I agree they are using Rovers to enhance their business strategy. But believe me their business reputation only goes up if Rovers stay up and improve. Its not as if theyre making these appointments on purpose so we go down. If that is the case, then the embarrassment would be too much to bear for them back in India. Give them time and let them get on with it. We're in a bad moment but sacking the manager and unrealistic calls for the owners to go wont help.

Sorry if I sound heavy-handed in my responses, Im not trying to be and I actually respect everyones opinions but Im just annoyed with the negativity surrounding the club. Im used to it from the national press but when our own fans spin things the wrong way then it annoys me. We need to stick together.

Although many fans have spent thousands of pounds supporting the club over the years, it's not about money for real supporters who have a deep emotional attachment to the club in many cases going back decades. I couldn't care less about the money Venky's have "invested" but I do care that they are damaging my club and if that means letting them know my feelings about them and their pathetic excuse for a manager, I jolly well will.

So there.

Many of the older posters on this messageboard have spent a lifetime following this club. I started when we were a top club in the early sixties, and have followed the club down to the depths of the Third Division and back to winning the Premier League. After 50 years of support if you are now telling me I can't have an opinion about the present circus, I think you're out of order. As for supporting the manager, I'll support him in the same way he supported Allardyce and MacDonald - he seemed to climb over them to get the top job with indecent haste to many supporters. Kean wanted the job but look at the form table. Two points from the last six games. He might give a good presser, he clearly talks a good game as Mrs. Desai has confirmed, but he sure as hell hasn't won many points up to date. The last time I looked a manager was judged on results not because one of his pals in the Press thinks he gives a good presser. How many points did we get for Saturday's presser?

With regard to nicko, he is a professional journalist. He is paid to watch and write about Rovers matches amongst others. The supporters he opts to insult actually pay money to watch the club. If the Rovers fold tomorrow it will not be of any interest to nicko once he has got a story or two out of it. To the many supporters of this club if the the Rovers were relegated it would be devastating. It's the difference between being a supporter and a journalist.

The reason I am so angry about what has happened to this club over the past few months is because it has been a large part of my life for the past fifty years. If you think I'm going to apologise for having an opinion about the ability of the guy who is presently employed as manager think again. And let's not believe that Venky's are another Jack Walker. Venky's have bought the club to help improve their business. It is nothing more than a marketing tool for them pure and simple. Do you honestly believe that Mrs Desai was as devastated as most Rovers fans were yesterday at dropping two vital points to Blackpool? Will we see Mrs Desai at the remaining matches this season? How many games has she actually attended - just the one.

Good start. Not knowing what a presser is. I don't sky has even televised a Rovers presser.

Nicko may be right on that, but it's kinda irrelevant at the moment.

Guess again, ignoring my own encounters, I can think of at least 10 members of the fans forum past and present who post on here who have met him through that.

Ok, I agree with that. The difference is I didn't see the direct results of JWs work at Granada, but we've all seen the fruits of PA's labours with Rovers PR over the last decade or so. That said, he could make a great chairman, who knows.

I gather that Agnew is the press guy

Ah, so you know less than many you are attacking. PA runs PAPR (well, at least back in 2008, the latest proof I can find) who were contracted to managed the club's PR (amongst other clients). www.rovers.co.uk/staticFiles/eb/19/0,,10303~137707,00.doc . Here is his companies website http://papr.co.uk/

and works on the programme etc and from everytime Ive picked the programme up its been top notch so cant slam him on that one.

We do have a good programme (and I didn't realise until I started researching this reply that PA was the editor, so a genuine hats-off on that).

As for PR well youll always get newspapers tearing our club to shreds he cant do much about that. I mean look now you yourselves are making the club look rubbish with all your negative comments! Agnew cant do anything about that.

I disagree and back in 2008 so did the FF (see above link) - What's more, I can't take the blame for instigating it (though I'm sure that won't stop people trying). I wasn't there.

You? You? Interesting words. If we're the ones you're describing (and I've never booed a Rovers player or manager, he'll I didn't even join in the calls for Ashley Ward to be sent off and at least I saw some humor in that). The question is, who you YOU that you consider yourself differently from the majority of Rovers fans (as most types of fan have been represented on this thread).

I think most people moaning in this thread don't see simply going down as the biggest problem and I also think the vast majority did give the team and their manager their full backing yesterday and will still be supporting the club long after our current owners have departed, be us still in the Premiership or be us in League 1.

I think you just proved him right.

As other people pointed out, a great number of us have put a great deal more than that in. Hell, I probably spent more than a grand on trips to Ewood on none match days.

Nicko I must say I'm very unhappy with your position on this message board. You are a journalist, fair enough it's how you earn your living. In this thread, and repeatedly on others you have:

Insulted the entire Rovers support - this thread only

Repeatedly insulted any member of this board who disagrees with you, ponders the club's position and does not see it as positive

Supported actions at the club which everyone can see threaten the long term future of Blackburn Rovers

Report only stories which show the current ownership in a positive light

Fail to report on any of the less positive aspects of events since the takeover

This is all about pride, Nicko thought he be clever saying venky are great and Keane is a quote "GEM".

Truth is this current situation is showing him up badly.

I have never heard anyone claim a manageer to be a "gem" after a 10 minute press conference, when he has no experience and a poor assistant mangement career.

Nicko only current defense is to insult and hope things turn around so he can say "I told you so".

Infact after Blackburn first win he said "I told you so", not heard that is a while :P

If Blackpool had won I doubt he would have come back.

This is all about pride, Nicko thought he be clever saying venky are great and Keane is a quote "GEM".

Truth is this current situation is showing him up badly.

I have never heard anyone claim a manageer to be a "gem" after a 10 minute press conference, when he has no experience and a poor assistant mangement career.

Nicko only current defense is to insult and hope things turn around so he can say "I told you so".

Infact after Blackburn first win he said "I told you so", not heard that is a while :P

If Blackpool had won I doubt he would have come back.

At what point did I say Venky's were 'great'?

The manager made a very impressive start in the circumstances. A 'poor assistant'? Ffs, he was the Rovers coach for 15 months.

I came on this morning to shed some light on the Paul Agnew tale.

Starting to wish I hadn't.

The manager made a very impressive start in the circumstances. A 'poor assistant'? Ffs, he was the Rovers coach for 15 months.

He's got two points out of 18 for pete's sake!

Many of the older posters on this messageboard have spent a lifetime following this club. I started when we were a top club in the early sixties, and have followed the club down to the depths of the Third Division and back to winning the Premier League. After 50 years of support if you are now telling me I can't have an opinion about the present circus, I think you're out of order. As for supporting the manager, I'll support him in the same way he supported Allardyce and MacDonald - he seemed to climb over them to get the top job with indecent haste to many supporters. Kean wanted the job but look at the form table. Two points from the last six games. He might give a good presser, he clearly talks a good game as Mrs. Desai has confirmed, but he sure as hell hasn't won many points up to date. The last time I looked a manager was judged on results not because one of his pals in the Press thinks he gives a good presser. How many points did we get for Saturday's presser?

With regard to nicko, he is a professional journalist. He is paid to watch and write about Rovers matches amongst others. The supporters he opts to insult actually pay money to watch the club. If the Rovers fold tomorrow it will not be of any interest to nicko once he has got a story or two out of it. To the many supporters of this club if the the Rovers were relegated it would be devastating. It's the difference between being a supporter and a journalist.

The reason I am so angry about what has happened to this club over the past few months is because it has been a large part of my life for the past fifty years. If you think I'm going to apologise for having an opinion about the ability of the guy who is presently employed as manager think again. And let's not believe that Venky's are another Jack Walker. Venky's have bought the club to help improve their business. It is nothing more than a marketing tool for them pure and simple. Do you honestly believe that Mrs Desai was as devastated as most Rovers fans were yesterday at dropping two vital points to Blackpool? Will we see Mrs Desai at the remaining matches this season? How many games has she actually attended - just the one.

At last, a sensible response. I have great respect for the fans that have been there through thick and thin and seen us rise and fall. I agree with your comment regarding his pressers. I have said previously, just because he gives a good presser that does not make him a good manager. But, the fact that he may not necessarily be the best manager does not mean he gives rubbish pressers, if you catch my drift.

As for Keano taking Big Sam's job...

Many people would grab promotion with both hands in any walk of life and that is all he has done. Sam obviously had a major disagreement with the owners and both him and his assistant were fired. Keano was offered the job and he took it. If my manager at work got fired, I would not also leave the company in protest. If I was offered his job, I would probably take it. Not because I want to stab my manager in the back, but because its an opportunity worth taking.

I agree that our club is being used as a marketing tool by Venkys, but I am certain Desai will be pretty worried by where we are right now. If we go down, their company's rep takes a hit, particularly with all the negative press they will get. Venky's will be as hopeful as we are that Rovers stay up. Only thing is, they know that sacking the manager right now would be foolish and they have got themselves into a bit of a pickle.

Once again, I apologies if my views are different to yours, I do not mean to cause offence/upset particularly to avid followers of the club such as yourself, however I do feel that our fans are undermining the manager (which in turn rubs off on the players) at a time when we should all be getting completely behind the club.

Edit - Having read some of the more measured responses by BRFCBRFCSBRFC since I started my reply, I know regret taking such an aggressive stance, but I simply can't justify the time rewriting it now.

No worries mate, this is clearly a topic we are all passionate about and your responses were reasonable and more sensible than what others have written.

Kean saw an opportunity and he took it, if it was another club I'd admire his fortitude, however he should NEVER have got anywhere near the job.

As for undermining the manager, I'm sure he doesn't give a shiny @#/? about what is said on here and he got off lightly on Saturday with only a minor show of dissent.

I have never read you calling venky's great or good. The only thing I recall you saying about kean was that you were impressed by one of his press conferences and rovers 'might' have discovered a gem.

The start was good, but in my opinion, I think things got worse for Kean from the moment Jensen got appointed.

I have never read you calling venky's great or good. The only thing I recall you saying about kean was that you were impressed by one of his press conferences and rovers 'might' have discovered a gem.

The start was good, but in my opinion, I think things got worse for Kean from the moment Jensen got appointed.

I think Steve Kean has got a chance of being a manager. He took time to learn his trade - something one predecessor never did. He also saw the problems when he first came in and sorted the uncertainty. It was how managers should behave.

Since then the results went steadily and have since dipped.

I hadn't seen Rovers since the excellent performance against West Brom until yesterday's game. The change was significant on and off the pitch.

There is tension in the team. The atmosphere was tense and has been stirred by some of the garbage that has been around.

I can only speak from my own experience of supporting a team. I never booed them once during a game. At the end, maybe. Afterwards, if a manager or board wanted hounding they would get it. You don't turn as fast as that yesterday in my book - especially when the first goal is a shocker by the ref.

It's not new and it's not unique to turn on managers or players. I recall Big Sam being booed several times last season. It was wrong the and it's wrong now.

I also recall a run last season that was far worse than the current one.

But that seems to have been forgotten.

Oh, and Bolton got two points from six games at the start of year.

And they are managed by the best young boss in the business.

Don't remember their fans spitting the dummy.

Archived