BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers' dealings with influential agent Jerome Anderson comes under scrutiny

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we are getting a reet good kicking in the media.

Our position is indefensible owing to, IMO, the crass behaviour of our new owners.

However, even in the good times of Jack and Premier League winning, our PR has always been a gaping hole in the club's operations.

Agnew, IMO, has never been up to it and never will - he's not a big hitter.

Almost 20 years ago, the club should have invested what was necessary to recruit someone who could successfully 'manage' the national media and spin for us in the mould of Campbell / Mandelson.

Unfortunately, it's all too late now and what we have now is a little boy with his finger in the dam trying to stem the flow of water - sadly, this wont turn out like the dutch fairy tale.

Look at the team, look at the teams around us, that fills me with confidence. Hoilett on fire, Jones coming back from injury, Jones looking like a genuine Box to box midfielder, I could go on. Being positive and being together as a team will help being unduly negative helps no one.

I have had a pint of what you are drinking and we are still going down unless we get very lucky.

Those managers wouldn't have come, as has been said by many people, on top of which it would still have been a gamble to change manager with no good reason. There is no reason to believe that any of them, if they were to come here would have been more successful results wise, than Allardyce. Allardyce was successful at Bolton with money. Apart from which, you have now done a complete u turn, and apparently believe that Sam was the best man for the job under the circumstances at the time..

I disagree Den. There are managers out there who would have come if the opportunity was presented to them. Managers have an ego and a reputation to build on, If for example someone like Curbishley (someone who had been out of work for some time but had a proven track record in ths league) had come in and guided the club to a solid finish well clear of relegation they would have enhanced their reputation.

Sam wasn't the only manager out there that could do a job, far from it.

I disagree Den. There are managers out there who would have come if the opportunity was presented to them. Managers have an ego and a reputation to build on, If for example someone like Curbishley (someone who had been out of work for some time but had a proven track record in ths league) had come in and guided the club to a solid finish well clear of relegation they would have enhanced their reputation.

Curbishley RVR? You think he would have got this current squad playing attractive, passing football, while taking us further than tenth? What do you base that on?

That would have been another massive, unnecessary gamble, the like of which got us in this position.

I have had a pint of what you are drinking and we are still going down unless we get very lucky.

So if we survive then we are very lucky and if we are relegated then Venkys and Kean are to blame? Predictable really.

When we survive, it will be because all the players have ignored the negativity, baseless rumours and rubbish talked about by the media and instead will play for themselves, the fans and the manager.

Oh yeah, I dont drink ;)

Those managers wouldn't have come, as has been said by many people, on top of which it would still have been a gamble to change manager with no good reason. There is no reason to believe that any of them, if they were to come here would have been more successful results wise, than Allardyce. Allardyce was successful at Bolton with money. Apart from which, you have now done a complete u turn, and apparently believe that Sam was the best man for the job under the circumstances at the time..

Uh yeah, when did I say differently? Under the circumstances he WAS the best man, I like the guy and think he has done a good job here, BUT if you want to progress and are willing to spend money then yeah I think we could do better and I think I suggested a change at the END of the season.

So if we survive then we are very lucky and if we are relegated then Venkys and Kean are to blame? Predictable really.

Venky's and Kean are to blame for us getting into this situation in the first place.

I don't understand how someone who follows our team as closely as I assume any fan does can have such a lack of insight into whats happening at our club.

Curbishley RVR? You think he would have got this current squad playing attractive, passing football, while taking us further than tenth? What do you base that on?

That would have been another massive, unnecessary gamble, the like of which got us in this position.

It was an example of someone out there who could have done a job in my view. But yes I would have looked at Curbishley as an option when the owners decided to sack Sam and would have definitely taken Curbishley over Kean if that was the two options available.

Curbishley got a Charlton side pushing for Europe playing decent football if i recall. He then went to West Ham when they looked certain to go down and managed to pull off 7 wins in their last nine games to keep them up. Following season he got them a top ten finish and the season after that they had a decent start in the league until he left over a transfer issue (players being sold without consultation).

I would be confident that if Curbishley had been the manager instead of Kean we would be more or less safe by now. I could say that about a fair few other managers as well, from what I've seen Kean clearly isn't a manager.

And to reiterate my position again on the whole Sam saga, I wouldn't have sacked Sam until the end of the season at the earliest. His contract would have run out and it would have given the owners the opportunity and time to look elsewhere if that is what they wanted to do.

It was an example of someone out there who could have done a job in my view. But yes I would have looked at Curbishley as an option when the owners decided to sack Sam and would have definitely taken Curbishley over Kean if that was the two options available.

Curbishley got a Charlton side pushing for Europe playing decent football if i recall. He then went to West Ham when they looked certain to go down and managed to pull off 7 wins in their last nine games to keep them up. Following season he got them a top ten finish and the season after that they had a decent start in the league until he left over a transfer issue (players being sold without consultation/permission).

Charlton's football was pretty dire under Curbishley. Besides, they only had one season where they really pushed for Europe, finishing 7th. Certainly didn't rival Sam's record at Bolton. Besides, I think if he genuinely wanted to manage he wouldve been in a job by now.

This messageboard is dangerously close to imploding. Having a "I told you so" mentality isn't conducive to breeding decent debate. I have said before that the staunch Allardyce fans are, for the most part, preaching to the converted. Very few wanted him out mid season. But team Sam seem to believe they must fight his corner and take every opportunity to beat down a mystery opposition. You would never believe we all share common ground!

On the subject of Venky's. I know they have made mistakes. personally i think they portray an image some distance away from anything you may term "classy". But i am always brought back to the same thought. They didn't shout about the take over bid. It went largely under the radar. This singular point helps me desperately cling to the hope that they do have integrity and do have acumen to be trusted with our beloved club. Its only hope though. For all my heart wants to believe the events thus far have been mere teething problems. My head tells me otherwise.

Curbishley has done nothing that SA hasn't. Also he usually played 4-5-1 with Bent on his own up top so he wouldn't be any good for our supporters would he?

next

Oh yeah, I dont drink ;)

I think you need to.

I think I suggested a change at the END of the season.

And to reiterate my position again on the whole Sam saga, I wouldn't have sacked Sam until the end of the season at the earliest.

This seems to be becoming the standard default bleating position of many of the 'SAM OUT' brigade. :glare:How many times will that get trotted out in the coming weeks I wonder?

Tell me, after the past two seasons of over achieving on a limited budget and especially after inheriting a seriously weakened and demoralised squad, if he had stayed and kept us midtable or better why would anybody with any sense want him out? imo pound for pound he outperformed virtually every other manager in the Prem last season. Surely the best anybody could hope without some seriously wealthy owners chucking stupid billionaire money in is that we could have edged out Brum and possibly Everton and finished 8th.

What final position in the Prem do you 2 think we could reasonably have expected to achieve?

This seems to be becoming the standard default bleating position of many of the 'SAM OUT' brigade. :glare:How many times will that get trotted out in the coming weeks I wonder?

Tell me, after the past two seasons of over achieving on a limited budget and especially after inheriting a seriously weakened and demoralised squad, if he had stayed and kept us midtable or better why would anybody with any sense want him out? imo pound for pound he outperformed virtually every other manager in the Prem last season. Surely the best anybody could hope without some seriously wealthy owners chucking stupid billionaire money in is that we could have edged out Brum and possibly Everton and finished 8th.

What final position in the Prem do you 2 think we could reasonably have expected to achieve?

If you are going to quote me Drog then the least you can do is get my position correct, for the 102nd time, I was Pro Sam, good job, little money. If we want to sell the product, i.e the brand of football abroad then Sams style is not appealing and thus I can see why Sam was sacked. However we needed to bring an experienced manager who could spend the money that Venkys were/are going to provide at the end of the season, all of this was hypothetical depending on funding provided.

About position in the league, 10th-15th is roughly where we were going to end up this season, still looking that way now, if money is going to be provided surely you want to win and be entertained?again hypothetical on money being provided.

If you check Drog this was my position on December 14th after the takeover, please take the time to check or kindly refrain from putting me into a camp that I have never been a part of!

Under the circumstances he WAS the best man, I like the guy and think he has done a good job here,

but you would still have sacked him at the end of the season, no matter who would replace him.

Somehow "at the end of the season" makes a difference to a lot of people. Now if you had said we should have sacked him "when we had found someone better", then I would always go along with that. That wasn't the position though was it. The position was sack him then look around - and that is an absolutely nonsensical position to take.

About position in the league, 10th-15th is roughly where we were going to end up this season, still looking that way now,

Suggesting that we're on course for finish equalling last seasons 10th place is just simply kidding yourself. If you look at the form guide, we're on course to finish bottom.

if money is going to be provided surely you want to win and be entertained?

I thought everyone had agreed that entertainment isn't a consideration. That's what Venky's wanted.

Suggesting that we're on course for finish equalling last seasons 10th place is just simply kidding yourself. If you look at the form guide, we're on course to finish bottom.

I thought everyone had agreed that entertainment isn't a consideration. That's what Venky's wanted.

And they don't even bother to watch us. What was the point?

FORM GUIDE IS OVER 6 GAMES, LETS SEE WHERE WE ARE GOING TO FINISH AT THE END OF THE SEASON, YOU WOULD NOT HAVE SAID 10TH THIS TIME LAST YEAR.

DO YOU WANT TO WIN AND BE ENTERTAINED? ANSWER SHOULD BE YES, SO IF ARE ENDING THE SEASON IN THE TOP 10 AND PLAYING GOOD FOOTBALL YOU WOULD HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THIS?

Also Den I did say we should hire a better manager, I think you'll find most people wanted a good manager, the first team coach was not who we wanted, so for certain people to place the blame on the 'fans' is a bit ludicrous.

My position has NEVER been to sack Sam and get anyone else, as I said to Drog, the threads are around and you can check.

Style of football, away results and performances, grating personality, poor transfer record (£6m striker wasted on the bench). All factors I would have considered when deciding whether or not to renew his contract in the summer. On where we would have finished under Sam I believe it would have been between 17th and 15th, the league is so much closer this season and I would have expected a lower finish than the previous season.

BTW it was the owners who made the decision to get rid of Sam not the fans, it looks like some are forgetting that. They bought the club, they wanted a change, they brought in an unknown manager and it did not work out well. They can do what they like and we have no influence whatsoever.

Same old s***, different thread.

Style of football, away results and performances, grating personality, poor transfer record (£6m striker wasted on the bench). All factors I would have considered in the summer when deciding whether or not to renew his contract in the summer.

BTW it was the owners who made the decision to get rid of Sam not the fans, it looks like some are forgetting that. They bought the club, they wanted a change, they brought in an unknown manager and it did not work out well. They can do what they like and we have no influence whatsoever.

But I have to say, RibbleValleyRover is absolutely bang on the money with that.

Also Den I did say we should hire a better manager, I think you'll find most people wanted a good manager,

Most of the people wanting Sam sacked because they thought another manager could get this current squad playing football, rather than "hoofball".

Well Kean gave them their heads, allowed them to play a more open game and it doesn't work. Truth is - and Keans reign has proved it, is that Sam was getting the best out of the squad. It needs a good manager to do that and we had one.

The fact that Kean took over mid season, had a number of key players unavailable or injured has not played a part in the results either?

This is Sam's team not Kean's, if Kean is around next season then I would expect us to see a Kean team this time next year. Blackpool have proved that you dont need the best footballers to play good football.

The fact that Kean took over mid season, had a number of key players unavailable or injured has not played a part in the results either?

This is Sam's team not Kean's, if Kean is around next season then I would expect us to see a Kean team this time next year. Blackpool have proved that you dont need the best footballers to play good football.

My God but what planet are you from? Next year we'll have Kean's team instead of Sam's and Kean will be manager. And this is GOOD NEWS?

What division will we end up in do you suppose?

Archived