BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Qpr v Rovers preview

QPR vs Blackburn Rovers

15/10/11

Upon beginning this preview I was hoping to be writing about a new dawn, a new chapter in the history of Blackburn Rovers. However Steve Kean as ever remains in charge with many believing the club to be somewhat rudderless. This though is being discussed seemingly every other thread going so we will leave it at that and focus upon the game in hand.

Past Meetings

Overall the clubs have met 38 times dating right back to 1913 in a Charity Shield match which Rovers won 2-1. In that time Rovers have won on 17 occasions, QPR 14 and 7 draws. More recently though since the 90’s Rovers have won 9 to QPR’s 3 the most recent of which came last season’s F.A. cup, a game which was to be remembered for all the wrong reasons with Jamie Mackie breaking his leg in a challenge with Gael Givet. Ultimately this encounter ended up costing both teams with Rovers player El Hadji Diouf subsequently being loaned out to Rangers (although never directly linked) after being accused of taunting the injured Mackie. Coincidently Mackie made his first appearance since the injury in QPR’s last game against Fulham and could be in line for an appearance in some form this coming weekend.

had_1225381a.jpg

My own personal account of past meetings between the clubs has a few highlights. Firstly there was the opening game of the 95/96 season with Rovers winning 1-0. Although I had been to see Rovers a few times before, this is the first game I can vividly remember with Colin Hendry becoming an instant hero in my eyes, winning header after header all afternoon. Secondly there was the memory of back in Div 1 seeing this fella coming off the bench and thinking what the hell was that!

CROUCH_Peter_20010324_NF_R.jpg

And finally not QPR, but at Loftus Road seeing an epic win which proved to be the turning point in our season as Rovers beat Fulham 3-4 whilst Fulham and QPR were ground sharing in April 2004. Andy Cole (and that Tugay pass), Jonathan Douglas, Lorenzo Amoruso (haha) and Steadinho scored the goals to earn the win.

Fulham 3 - 4 Rovers

The situation as it stands

As it stands Rovers are sitting in 19th position with one solitary win to our name. With our next two home games being against Spurs then Chelsea respectively it could be argued our next realistic chance of picking up 3 home points could be as far away as Saturday 3rd December against Swansea. With this in mind our best chances to pick up points in the near future will be away from Ewood with a very winnable run of games against QPR, Norwich then Wigan. Failure to do so could very easily leave Rovers adrift from the pack at the bottom and facing an uphill struggle in for the remainder of the season. QPR on the other hand have had a bit of mixed start. They are sitting in a very credible 11th place after celebrating some good wins coupled with a couple of thumping defeats.

Results

QPR 0 – 4 Bolton

Everton 0 – 1 QPR

Wigan 2 – 0 QPR

QPR 0 – 0 Newcastle

Wolves 0 – 3 QPR

QPR 1 – 1 Villa

Fulham 6 – 0 QPR

After showing good form and some solid (3 clean sheets) performances, especially since transfer deadline day last week’s 6 – 0 drubbing to Fulham came as quite a surprise. If anything it highlighted the extreme lack of depth within the squad especially at the back. With Armand Traore suspended and injuries at the back they were absolutely torn apart. If Rovers are to pick anything up much depends on which QPR team turn up both in terms of personnel and in terms of fight. To date though QPR’s home form this season hasn’t been good with them still searching for their first win and first goalscorer of the season at Loftus road, with the only goal thus far being a Richard Dunne OG against Villa.

Analysis

For me Qpr have real strength in central midfield with Barton, Faurlin and Derry. Coming up against a Rovers team with a weak core is the area that really worries me as the game could well be dominated from there. Derry adds bite, Barton adds energy and Faurlin makes them tick. I feel though the real danger man though will be Wright-Phillips. If he is playing on the right hand side up against Givet we could be torn apart, especially with the lack of protection we’ve been offering our full backs on the flanks. Pace is the main thing he struggles against and SWP has it in abundance. Of course there is also Taarabt who has the ability to change a game in the blink of an eye and has been gradually improving with the pace of the Premiership in recent weeks. The weak points of the Qpr side appear to be at the back though the protection given to them by their midfield means they can be a pretty solid unit at times. Up top an out and out goalscorer is still lacking with Qpr often squandering chances with the lack of a cutting edge.

Question time

For this section I interviewed my good friend Jimmy a lifelong Qpr supporter.

1)How do you think your season has gone thus far?

From an outside perspective I think a lot of people think we’ve been a bit inconsistent. To an extent this has been true but it’s more down to a lack of squad depth. If you look at the sides put out in some of our heavy losses it has been a completely different side to the one which has been solid and earnt hard fought victories. Overall though with the players brought in and the league position fairly happy.

2 )Where do you think you’ll finish?

14th Never quite in a relegation battle but constantly peering over our shoulders at the chasing pack. Much like Sunderland last year.

3)Player you think Rovers should look out for?

Faurlin. He makes the side tick. If he plays well he allows our flair players such as Taarabt and SWP to express themselves. He has the ability to run the game.

4)Your opinions on recent fan protests. Embarrassing or commendable?

It’s always a subject up for debate. Qpr have experienced it a lot against our previous owners who simply didn’t care for the club. It does detract from the football, atmosphere and can effect players on the pitch therefore it needs to be done for the right reasons. In your case something needs to be done so I would say more on the commendable side of things, especially in light of your owners simply not listening.

5)Steve Kean?

Who is he? (rhetorical) Where has he come from, why has he not been sacked yet? He is bringing the club down.

6)Outside perspective on Rovers

A good club who deserve success. It’s not easy supporting the underdog especially when things aren’t going to plan. The club needs leadership. You have some talented players which have the potential to go onto some good things but changes need to be made.

7)Player you’re most worried about?

Yakubu and Hoilett. The Yak (was on my summer wishlist) has the ability to totally outwit our defence especially with the service of Hoilett.

8)Possible line-up?

Gk – Kenny, DF Young, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Traore, MF Derry, Faurlin, Barton, Taarabt, SWP, CF Helgusson/Bothroyd

9)Predictions?

Big reaction from the lads after the awful defeat to Fulham with Rovers tired after trotting off to India. 3-2 Qpr.

My prediction. A 3-2 loss could be likely but if Rovers play as a unit and turn up it is a winnable game. Sitting on the fence at 2-2.

COYB

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulham drew with Man City, we lost to them 0-4 the next game.

Fulham beat QPR 6-0, Rovers to win 2-0 the next game?

... if only.

Great preview Ben. QPR will be coming out like bears with sore heads after their encounter with Dembele at Craven Cottage so Rovers will have to keep it tight; an early goal conceded and we could be in for a long afternoon and some vitriolic venting from the visiting fans in the upper tier- not a bad little ground for a few hundred visitors to make quite an impact in by the way...

I'd like to think Vukcevic is good enough for Rovers after showing Ashley Cole a clean pair of heels a few times in the Montenegro v England but then I am not our brilliant manager. Olsson coming back is a welcome complication.

This is also the sort of game Grella would thrive in given the way QPR route so much play through Tarrabt. Petrovich on the other hand might get exposed badly by Tarrabt.

A game we are bound to get the odd chance in so we will need clinical finishing to make them count. So the perfect day for Kean to give J Rob a start?

Been up too long; getting cynical. But I will forecast that anything less than a win and the first anti-Venky's chanting will be coming over loud and clear. So no pressure Stevie boy.

On paper in years gone by, You would like to think that Rovers can go to QPR and bring back three points. However after staying up on the final day of last season its not a given that Rovers should win this game.

Our away form has troubled us for a number of seasons, and this is one area we need to try and improve on this season.

With the pressure firmly now on in home fixtures as fans wish to see a big turn around in our fortunes on the pitch this match will come at a good time for the Manager.

This is a winnable fixture and one I would expect us to win, However our inability to keep a clean sheet is worrying, so I fancy a 1-1 draw in this fixture, Any points away from home are good points and the post match comment from Kean will go like this.......

"We have had 4 positive results from our last 6 (He will put Leyton Orient fixture in his stats) with the two negative results coming from 2 of the top 3 sides in the table"

When we began the September / October run of games I had us down to collect 3 points in total from the games at Fulham, QPR and Norwich and nothing from the home matches A draw on Saturday would bizarrely leave us three points better off than expected.

If we can hold some decent shape in midfield and defence I'll settle for the draw.

At this stage without knowing any team news from either side, I'll go for a 1-1, provided we don't concede early, otherwise, fear they will be too fast and aggresive and it could end up 3 or 4-1.

This season, we have yet to keep a clean sheet in eother PL or Carling Cup and in 6 out of 9 games, we have conceded at least 2 goals!!!

Hope to see a few banners in that upper tier with 'Kean Out'.

I was at the 2001 game, I remember thinking "thats a huge bitch"

Crouch has a bit more meat on him these days, notmuch.

No ideawhat the score will, the first 20 mionutes will tell the tales, if we start off bad we normally fall apart.

maybe I'll go for 2-2.

Wright-Phillips has been in cracking form since going there, I'm really concerned about the prospect of him going up against Salgado and Givet. I'd go with Lowe and Olsson in the full back positions for this game, otherwise he might tear us apart.

.............. Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Olsson

................ Grella

........ N'Zonzi .... Dunn

.. Vukcevic ........... Hoilett

............... Yakubu

Not sure if the injury situation allows for that team, but that's what I'd go with. We need three bodies in central midfield with as much as experience as possible, we're getting hammered in there repeatedly at the moment.

I think we'll really struggle to get a result though; Warnock won't allow a repeat of the Fulham performance, and it will be a difficult ground to get a result from at the best of times.

5-0 Jean out

What's she done to deserve that, Abbey?! ;)

Excellent preview, Ben; a nice mixture of reality and optimism.

When the fixtures come out, you always look at the newly-promoted teams and hope for at least 4 points out of 6. Which is how I looked at this one then. However, since then they seem to have had a proper injection of cash which, despite that defeat by Fulham, "Colin" [For an explanation of their manager's nickname, see the thread (E.H.Diouf?) from last January] seems to have spent wisely in building a team, as opposed to whatever formation our present manager decides to play.

I think Warnock, whom I think I hate with a greater passion than any other Premier League manager [with one obvious exception a bit closer to home! ;) ], will have them really fired up for this one because of January's FA Cup game and because of their game against Fulham.

With the best will in the world, I think we'll do very well to get a point out of this one; and, if we do, it'll require even more heroics than usual from Robbo.

Wright-Phillips has been in cracking form since going there, I'm really concerned about the prospect of him going up against Salgado and Givet. I'd go with Lowe and Olsson in the full back positions for this game, otherwise he might tear us apart.

.............. Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Olsson

................ Grella

........ N'Zonzi .... Dunn

.. Vukcevic ........... Hoilett

............... Yakubu

Not sure if the injury situation allows for that team, but that's what I'd go with. We need three bodies in central midfield with as much as experience as possible, we're getting hammered in there repeatedly at the moment.

I think we'll really struggle to get a result though; Warnock won't allow a repeat of the Fulham performance, and it will be a difficult ground to get a result from at the best of times.

Won't the fullbacks get shredded with that formation.. ? :)

Personally starting to think we should build from the back in this one, they will run riot in our central midfield.

Lowe Samba Dann Givet Olsson

Grella Nzonzi Petrovic

Jnr

Yak

Sure we won't score, but will be like every other game this season and relying on jnr to come up with a moment of magic.

Great preview btw :)

My team would be:- Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Dann, Givet; Pedersen, Grella, Nzonzi, Olsson; Hoilett, Yakubu.

We got to have solid in midfield and defence to keep a clean sheet and play on the counter attack.

Strongly agree with this. We should play deep and work hard and basically just look to free Hoilett on the counterattack. I would make some small adjustments

---------------Robinson

Lowe---Samba----Dann----Givet

Formica---Nzonzi----MGP----Olsson

--------------------Hoilett

---------------------Yak

Really wish Diouf or Emerton was here as either would play on the right. I stuck Formica in there as he seemed to work quite hard against Man City. Essentially whoever goes in at right wing - Formica, Rochina, Goodwillie - needs to work their nuts off. Same goes for everyone really. Can't afford any passengers.

Double up on the wings, two lines of four, close down relentlessly. Only way we are going to dig ourselves out of this.

Who cares about the match – I am counting down the minutes to the pre match press conference – reckon we could hear some of these corkers.

“the Indian trip brought the group closer together”

“for me, the support of the owners has never been in question – they are like my second family – I speak with them every day”

“the funny thing is we have actually been playing well in a lot of the games”

“plenty of positives from the Pune game, hoping to take that into QPR”

QPR have shown how to deal with bad managers.......on 17 December 2009 Paul Hart was appointed manager and then sacked less than one month later, on 15 January 2010. He was manager for just 5 games and came under fire for his misguided tactics and player selections....sounds familiar.

I have always quite liked QPR since the Stan Bowles days. Have seen them a few times this season on TV and they look ok since all the new signings and the Fulham disaster was perhaps just one of those days.

I think it will be 1 - 1 but will take a loss to help get shot of Kean.

Just seen this quote from Kean after the Pune friendly!

“We had 49 shots on goal with almost 30 of them on target. It shows that our possession was good"

Haha how many chance we gonna need vs QPR to score?

If we had 30 shots on target and only scored 3? :lol:

Archived