BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Preview - 26th December

colin

How anyone can "enjoy" a lucky draw today after the appalling results over the past few weeks is astonishing.

To recap, it was our first point in 12, we're rock bottom of the league and only one team in PL history has escaped from a similar position.

We're virtually relegated - and a measly point at Anfield does not make up for the stupidity of the past 12 months.

Not often we agree Jim, but spot on.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though ONE POINT gained against Liverpool, is in itself a good point. Considering the amount of injuries Rovers have. It does NOT make up for the rest of a screwed up season.

But I am happy with the result. Happy we are still in touching distance. There was a battling performance today. That gives me a little hope, that rovers may survive.

My hopes would be lifted if a better manager came in. Which I still believe will happen.

Even though ONE POINT gained against Liverpool, is in itself a good point. Considering the amount of injuries Rovers have. It does NOT make up for the rest of a screwed up season.

But I am happy with the result. Happy we are still in touching distance. There was a battling performance today. That gives me a little hope, that rovers may survive.

My hopes would be lifted if a better manager came in. Which I still believe will happen.

I agree. Its a good result and a gritty performance. A performance in which several younger players really played well. That doesn't mean we have the right manager, it doesn't mean that we're happy with the ownership and it doesn't mean that we're suddenly looking like a far better team. No one is saying otherwise.

Its just that today, for once, we did quite well. For the first time in a very long time we can actually be relatively pleased with a result even if it doesn't mean a great deal overall. We're playing Championship football come August so we may as well cherish the good moments in this division when they come.

And we ###### off Liverpool fans. A good day.

Good point today

Doesn't change the fact we are down.

Already resigned to nPower league Football next season.

Think that sums the situation up, what is the point in moaning about Kean and Venkys. If he didn't go after the Bolton game (which he didn't) then surely he's safe whatever happens.

Just watched on football first, we were good value for the point imo.

Admittedly we weren't great but neither were liverpool.

Doesn't change anything, but credit to the teamwork earning and fighting for the club.

So whats wrong with blue & white halved shirts against a team all in red? Still its points that count, not the colour of yer shirt.

I hate MOTD but at the moment we seem to be getting shown early. No doubt on account of our special predicament.

You know, we catch a lot of flak from the press about our fans but if they want REAL ammunition to deride us then they need do no more than read this board.

Feckin ell anyone who even tries to say anything positive is slated for being pro kean/venkys, ######. It WAS a GOOD point, regardless of the last whenever. No one is saying today erases all that's gone before but come on at least a little credit for the lads when they put a shift in. I know you are all mad cos we got a point ans it means less chance for Kean to be gone and Jim MK 2 todays point will take on a lot of significance if we by way of a miracle escape relegation by the odd point. One point won only 29 left to get. :rolleyes:

So whats wrong with blue & white halved shirts against a team all in red? Still its points that count, not the colour of yer shirt.

I hate MOTD but at the moment we seem to be getting shown early. No doubt on account of our special predicament.

I would like to know the answer to that one also.

Using the away strip negates the protest colours

You know, we catch a lot of flak from the press about our fans but if they want REAL ammunition to deride us then they need do no more than read this board.

Feckin ell anyone who even tries to say anything positive is slated for being pro kean/venkys, ######. It WAS a GOOD point, regardless of the last whenever. No one is saying today erases all that's gone before but come on at least a little credit for the lads when they put a shift in. I know you are all mad cos we got a point ans it means less chance for Kean to be gone and Jim MK 2 todays point will take on a lot of significance if we by way of a miracle escape relegation by the odd point. One point won only 29 left to get. :rolleyes:

It was a point....a good point is when it makes a difference. This doesnt and will be proved irrelevant in the long run.

We're fecked mate...today a heavy beating might have been better, get shut of knobends and get building proper for next season .

id sell my chuffin soul to buy venkean off!!!!!!!!

I agree we're in desperate times, but hardly that desperate. Imagine the beers you'll miss with Jack Walker if you booked passage on the southbound train instead of the Pearly Gates. :rover:

To recap, it was our first point in 12, we're rock bottom of the league and only one team in PL history has escaped from a similar position.

We're virtually relegated - and a measly point at Anfield does not make up for the stupidity of the past 12 months.

I agree with this, but the point may be important if we can get a proper manager in and have a few decent transfers. Every point counts, even those that Kean generates (at an abysmally slow rate obviously).

I just hope Nicko is right when he implies that Kean is out and Hughes in just as soon as Venkys sort out their financing.

Im sure I have read somewhere that clubs are contractually obliged to wear the away kits for x amount of games a season.

How anyone can "enjoy" a lucky draw today after the appalling results over the past few weeks is astonishing.

Correct. A good battling performance today and credit to the players for that but at this stage we need wins not draws. The result should help morale if Kean knows how to use it positively... which I seriously doubt.

btw Why did the ref allow 4 mins to turn into almost 6? Could have been costly. Those two last ditch saves in the last minute should not even have happened.

People should be allowed to enjoy todays result, we've not had many at Anfield over the years.

Battling performane by all accounts, tinged with more than a little luck, but a points a point so we'll take it.

Sums it all up.

Not brilliant by any means, Rovers defended deep and didn't allow Suarez room in behind. Henley seemed to be the weak link, ball was always played across to their right to Downing. Thought we were fortunate to get away with conceding a penalty. Andy Carroll is pretty poor for the amount of money Lpool played, reckon King Kenny thought playing him against Rovers could have been a big confidence booster for him.

Bunn made some good saves, thought once they had equalised it was only a matter of time before they got a winner. Bunn made some good saves, one particular at the end from Carroll and Henley's clearance off the line.

I was dreading going this morning and I thought how many are they going to put past us, I still feel that might be the case against United on NYE.

We got away with that one, Liverpool on another day would have comfortably won that but we stood firm and earned our point. Frustrating to watch us go forward at times, the lack of quality is there for all to see.

Not a bad turnout of support either, considering recent results and the cost of the tickets. Liverpool can be a miserable place but there were some depressing faces amongst the away support, cheer up it could be worse. Good to see the Scouse Fun Police were out in force, every year, people should know better, zip it and sit on your hands.

Just to note. Don't use the official away travel. The last time I used it was for the Burnley away match when we had to and I never use it other than that game, feel like it's a school trip and there's a teacher at the front telling people off.

It was late at the start, some bloke come out with some poor excuse that the times on the tickets for the pick up at Accy were the same as the Ewood ones. Then the same coach wouldn't start on our departure at Anfield, so a replacement bus arrived approximately an hour and a half later.

I'm enjoying the point because;

1. If we had lost Kean would still not be a step closer to the exit.

2. It was for the team and long-suffering fans.

3. We won't enjoy many more points this season.

4. I'm not daft enough to believe all this smoke being blown up our backsides (AGAIN!) about Kean out, Hughes in once finances are sorted.

5. I am resigned to the fact that we are very likely relegated anyway so lets be positive about what we have to offer next season (Henley, Bunn, Lowe).

8. I can't count

Although I hate the man with a passion I am going to (grudgingly) give the imposter a little bit of praise. At half time the discussion amongst the group I was sat with was how we would approach the game in the second half. We all feared that he would 'do a Sunderland' and defend with nine players behind the ball and invite pressure. To be fair to him we counter attacked whenever the opportunity arose and usually with several players. In fairness we defended solidly too and the chances that Liverpool had in the second half were mostly from crosses or set plays.

All in all it was a point which nobody expected us to get and if we can nick a few of these when we aren't expected to and win a few of the more winnable game the who knows.

In the Aqueduct before our set off, on the coach and in the King Harry the mood amongst the fans was just one of resignation to our fate- and a lot of anger at Venky's.

So, to see the side battle did hearten me- however with a proper manager this team would not be adrift and that is so very frustrating.

I did witness the most bizarre sight- Steve Kean sharing a touchline with Kenny Dalglish.

'Kenny, give us a wave' *he waves 'king Kenny's magic...'

Dunn wasted a very good chance yesterday and Petrovic looked strong when coming on....the lad is a good player but clearly lacks confidence....if he had played for a top 6 side Petrovic would had been a better player, the same stands for Formica....at Rovers they have to defend....we need a proper central defence and a proper central midfeld....we got an awful lot of wing players and players who can score.

Dunn wasted a very good chance yesterday and Petrovic looked strong when coming on....the lad is a good player but clearly lacks confidence....if he had played for a top 6 side Petrovic would had been a better player, the same stands for Formica....at Rovers they have to defend....we need a proper central defence and a proper central midfeld....we got an awful lot of wing players and players who can score.

If Yakubu hadn't stood in his way and near enough tried to tackle him, he would've stood a much better chance of scoring with that one.

Well; I enjoyed the party in Liverpool last night that, at 2.59 pm yesterday, I was dreading to have to go to. My hosts were VERY subdued!!

When I posted just after the match that the point was a positive to cling onto, I was [trying to be] ironic; thinking that it was the sort of thing Baldrick would say in his Press Conference after the game. For a team with a more realistic chance than us of getting into Europe at the end of this season, Liverpool have a crap home record [3, 6, 0] so that a point, while not a bad outcome, doesn't do enough to get us towards 17th place.

Excellent save form Bunn, just dont think Robbo would have attempted to go for it, never mind save it.

Going off the MOTD1 highlights every cross which came in from either side, Liverpool players always seemed to win the headers not good from a defensive point of view.

It was a point....a good point is when it makes a difference. This doesnt and will be proved irrelevant in the long run.

We're fecked mate...today a heavy beating might have been better, get shut of knobends and get building proper for next season .

Kean will never be sacked he wasnt sacked after a terrible run which nearly got us relegated last year, he wasnt sacked after a dismal start and he wasnt sacked after two home losses to teams around us in a massive relegation battle one of them being a local rival. Venkys have had more then enough opportunities and havnt done it so why would they now?Instead of hoping the team loses because he may or may not be sacked I am glad we got a point. face it Kean will be manager if we want him or not Venkys dont care or else they would of done it by now, if we are in the premiership next year Kean will be in charge. Now I am not pro kean or venkys I hate them both but in true Rafa Benitez fashion I am talking about facts. So I am going to be happy with our point in a game we were expected to get smashed in.

Archived