BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Preview - 26th December

colin

We play Liverpool FC on Boxing Day at Anfield. Beforehand, you may be stuffed full of turkey (of the avian variety) &, after the game, by more turkey (of the Kean variety)

There's no structure to this preview, just ten bits.

(1) Back to 10th January 2000.

Rovers had been relegated* and Brian Kidd had been dismissed at the end of October 1999.

Graeme Souness was three months away from being appointed manager. Tony Parkes was (again) in charge.

Rovers' had an away FA Cup match at Anfield. Quite honestly we were quite bobbins at the time, although Parkes was making progress. The keeper was John Filan Our central defenders were Darren Peacock & Christian Dailly. Stan & Ollie would have made them look bad. Alongside them were Jeff Kenna & Simon Grayson. (now the Leeds manager.)

They all played absolute blinders. In all my time of watching Rovers I don't think I've seen a better display of defending. Liverpool threw everything including the kitchen sink at them. They stood firm & Nathan Blake, the infamous fruit machine thief, scored the winner for us.

Being Rovers, we lost the next FA cup game at Ewood 1-2 to Newcastle.

* If you are too young to have experienced relegation, just stick around for another few months.

(2)Fast forward to 14th May 1995, the day Blackburn Rovers won the league. At Anfield on the last day of the season.I was there. It's a day I will never forget. Anfield holds some special memories for me, not least the applause that the Kop gave us when theylearned that we had beaten Manchester United to the title. Scrathes chin & wonders why?

Our manager on the day was one Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish.

The reason for Kenny's seemingly inexplicable departure from Rovers just a few weeks afterwards remains a very closely guarded secret.

(3) In my previous review for the 29th October game I noted that Norwich City started (in 1903 - 1907) playing in a familiar kit

Norwich City

It seems that between 1892 - 1896 so did Liverpool

Liverpool

And so did Everton earlier between 1887 - 1890

Everton

And, if you want to get all saddo/statto (as I obviously have)

Burton Wanderers

Doncaster Rovers

(4) Anfield was originally the home of Everton who were founded in 1878. 14 years later, in 1892 the landlord upped the rent from £100 to £250 so Everton departed and set up across Stanley Park at Goodison, the first purpose-built football ground in the country.Anfield's landlord, John Houlding, owned a football ground with no team so, with commendable pragmatism, formed Liverpool FC.

5) On 15th April 1989 Simon Garner scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 win over Manchester City and became Rovers' top scorer of all time. Understandably his acheivement was over-shadowed on the day by events unfolding 65 miles away at Hillsborough in Sheffield where Liverpool were playing Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup semi.

6) Although Liverpool has an illustrious history of winning trophies it has noticeably dropped off over the past 20 or so years from it's glories of the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. The discussion over England's most successfull manager often centres around The Rat Faced Whinger currently in place at The Theatre Of Merchandising in Trafford. I for one consider that both Paul Ince and Steve Kean has a far better claim on this title having led us to *SLAP*...

OK, how about Bob Paisley? - In nine years as Liverpool manager between 1974 and 1983, he took Liverpool to six league titles, three European Cups (the only manager to have done so), one UEFA Cup, three League Cups, six Community Shields and a UEFA Super Cup. He was also awarded six manager of the Year awards. Plus he was a lovely avuncular figure who had a great line in quotes.(a) "This is the second time I've beaten the Germans here... the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated." after Liverpool won the European Cup in Rome in 1977; & (b ) "If you're in the penalty area and don't

know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

(7) Our recent record against Liverpool:- those of nervous disposition may want look away now.

Over the past ten seasons we have played 20 league games against Liverpool. This may be a surprise to some, but trust me.I've got an "O" level in Maths. We've won 2; drawn 8; and lost 10. At Anfield we've played ten. We've won a nice round figure; drawn 3 and lost 7.

(8) Liverpool's recent form:

29 October WBA 0 - 2 LFC

5 Novemember LFC 0 - 0 Swansea

20 November Chelsea 1 - 2 LFC

27 November LFC 1 - 1 MCFC

29 November Chelsea 0 - 2 LFC 2 (Carling Cup)

5 December Fulham 1- 0 LFC

10 December LFC 1 -0 QPR

18 December AVFC 0 - 2 LFC

(9) If you get front row seats - tough! You'll be just about on eye-level with the pitch. Attempting to decide where the action is between the goals is nigh on impossible. Here's Father Ted explaining to Father Dougal

(10) Finally: happy birthday to Ozz, fellow poster. Me, you, Humphrey Bogart; Shane MCGowan; Isaac Newton; Annie Lennox; Quentin Crisp; & Helena Christensen. You go to the pub with Shane and I'll have a chat with Helana until you get back in a day or two.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to get a refund on tickets once you have received them? Basically if Steve Kean is not sacked tomorrow then I would like to get a refund for the 3 tickets I have bought and would like to know if this is possible. Cheers

Is it possible to get a refund on tickets once you have received them? Basically if Steve Kean is not sacked tomorrow then I would like to get a refund for the 3 tickets I have bought for boxing day and would like to know if this is possible. Cheers

Is it possible to get a refund on tickets once you have received them? Basically if Steve Kean is not sacked tomorrow then I would like to get a refund for the 3 tickets I have bought for boxing day and would like to know if this is possible. Cheers

if the mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed will go to the mountain! or how to say, but its now my time too, coming to give support to Blackburn Rovers, i really wanna see what happen there, so 2 away games and one home games at x-mas period i can see... maybe result is again awfull but i cant sit down at home anymore, and watch that sh..t.. on telly.

Finnish Viking in tour again in Blackburn, cya lads and lassies

by: Mikkefin

I'm at a loss for words now, earlier, I felt Swansea got a draw at Anfield, Norwich got a draw with Liverpool, Wigan drew Chelsea, good results from clubs that are not considered to be the big ones but I can not find optimism here.

One thing I guess we know is that Suarez won't be playing and if he is a diver and I'm not calling him that, Liverpool got a penalty kick in that manner against West Brom, otherwise, that game would have ended 1-0 Liverpool.

if the mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed will go to the mountain! or how to say, but its now my time too, coming to give support to Blackburn Rovers, i really wanna see what happen there, so 2 away games and one home games at x-mas period i can see... maybe result is again awfull but i cant sit down at home anymore, and watch that sh..t.. on telly.

Finnish Viking in tour again in Blackburn, cya lads and lassies

by: Mikkefin

hope you've got other things planned for while you are over here Micke! because the football will depress you.

enjoy your trip. :rover:

prediction for LFC game.. is;

liverpool - (how many do we feel like scoring) - rovers nil! :(

Is it possible to get a refund on tickets once you have received them? Basically if Steve Kean is not sacked tomorrow then I would like to get a refund for the 3 tickets I have bought and would like to know if this is possible. Cheers

Yes you can get arefund , keep your receipt or e mail from onerovers, and the credit card you used to buy tickets ...go down to ticket office /

Who cares ? Not me !!!

Enjoy the pig troff chicken dipping scum!!!

I did the preview and I don't give a rats' ar5e either. Rotten owners, rotten directors, useless manager.

I'm going to Liverpool, but I am not attending the game. Instead I have booked a table in Jamie Carragher's restauraunt and will be eating whilst watching the game live on a screen next to my table with 5 of my mates. I will then be out drowning my sorrows til the early hours of Tues morning!!!!

4-1 Liverpool. Our goal will be an own goal from Skrtel.

Archived