BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Sunderland Preview

• Backroom

As expected really. I'm surprised Givet is no back in the team though...what's going on there?

Senior player, not one of Kean's boys. Expect him to be phased out in the summer.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what Givet's frame of mind will be like, what with the Muamba incident?

I hadn't thought of that.

Given that he was left out of the Wolves game as well, I can't see this being the reason that Kean is leaving him out. However, given his recent heart problems then it's probably for the best that he doesn't play for that reason you stated.

As expected really. I'm surprised Givet is no back in the team though...what's going on there?

Givet is a high earner who the club will look to try and offload in the summer. Doesn't fit with the Venky's model. In his 30's, high earner, no sell on value. Venky's want young players, low wages, high sell on value. Good luck with that policy, Venky's!

Givet is a high earner who the club will look to try and offload in the summer. Doesn't fit with the Venky's model. In his 30's, high earner, no sell on value. Venky's want young players, low wages, high sell on value. Good luck with that policy, Venky's!

Yep. Venky's must have been given an even more fraudulant copy of the Yaks passport since they were the ones who sanctioned the move. Or wait, maybe you're wrong.

Yep. Venky's must have been given an even more fraudulant copy of the Yaks passport since they were the ones who sanctioned the move. Or wait, maybe you're wrong.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. The Yak was a last minute panic buy (a very good one as it turned out) - it was quite well publicised that they wanted Ibisevic or El Hamdoui (sp?).

Look at the players that have left the club since Venky's have taken charge and look at the players we have bought in. High earners who are in their 30's or approaching their 30's - Emerton, Nelsen, Roberts, Diouf, etc etc.

The players that have come in are either cheap (Vucevic, Ribiero, Yak, Orr, etc), or young and cheap (Formica, Rochina, Anderson, Olsson, etc). The only one we've spent good money on is Scott Dann and he has a decent sell on value as he's only 24.

Givet gets murdered for pace at left back so I accept why Ollsson stays there, also Hanley for me is probably our most inform centre half. That's the logical bit, unfortunately he won't drop his record signing Dann for Givet which is what I think he needs to do.

It can't be a blanket policy though because Dunn got a new contract recently.

Givet gets murdered for pace at left back so I accept why Ollsson stays there, also Hanley for me is probably our most inform centre half. That's the logical bit, unfortunately he won't drop his record signing Dann for Givet which is what I think he needs to do.

Yeah that's probably it. Hanley can't be dropped given his recent form and Dann probably can't be dropped because he cost so much money.

It can't be a blanket policy though because Dunn got a new contract recently.

Yeah that's probably it. Hanley can't be dropped given his recent form and Dann probably can't be dropped because he cost so much money.

1) No, you're right it's not a blanket policy and there are exceptions to the rule. But, generally speaking, that is the Venky's policy.

2) Don't get me wrong, I don't think Givet's situation is quite as severe as Roberts' or Salgado's where Steve Kean was being told he couldn't play those players. However, with Dann and Hanley looking like first choice central defenders now and Olsson cementing the left back slot (plus the emergence of Adam Henley) Venky's will see Givet as too expensive to keep as a back up.

It would be nice to think that all decisions made at our club were footballing decisions but we all know that is not the case.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. The Yak was a last minute panic buy (a very good one as it turned out) - it was quite well publicised that they wanted Ibisevic or El Hamdoui (sp?).

Look at the players that have left the club since Venky's have taken charge and look at the players we have bought in. High earners who are in their 30's or approaching their 30's - Emerton, Nelsen, Roberts, Diouf, etc etc.

The players that have come in are either cheap (Vucevic, Ribiero, Yak, Orr, etc), or young and cheap (Formica, Rochina, Anderson, Olsson, etc). The only one we've spent good money on is Scott Dann and he has a decent sell on value as he's only 24.

A fair reply.

I think we are definitely going that way in order to set up a sustainable model, but I don't feel it's as simple as 'get out right now' to anyone past 30.

Team for tomorrow will be as follows:

GK: Robinson

RB: Lowe

LB: Olsson

CB: Hanley

CB: Dann

RW: Hoilett

LW: Olsson

CM: Nzonzi

CM: Pederson

CF: Formica

CF: Yakubu

Positions may be different but that's the team. :)

last time you said the team you said Samba was playing and that he was in the practice match during the day, when in fact he was on strike.

I agree with this.

If the team is staying the same as Wolves that makes sense. One of our best performances (albeit wolves were utterly dire) so no need to switch things around.

A draw seems likely to me. Not a lot to choose between us and Sunderland in talent available - as Cattermole and Segursson are out - plus they are less rested. However I can't see us winning two in a row! Heaven forbid.

A fair reply.

I think we are definitely going that way in order to set up a sustainable model, but I don't feel it's as simple as 'get out right now' to anyone past 30.

No, of course. It would be far too simplistic to say anyone over 30 will be shown the door and no-one over 30 will be signed. But, generally speaking, the policy is to buy young players cheaply (and develop our own players) who have potential re-sell value. It can be a good model (worked under the trust) but not if you get rid of all of your experienced players to make room for inexperieced, untested talent. Plus, you need a very skilled manager to make it work hence why it worked under Allardyce and Hughes but failed under Ince and Kean.

Guest Rovers4Good

last time you said the team you said Samba was playing and that he was in the practice match during the day, when in fact he was on strike.

Just watch the game and judge for yourself. :)

If we are unchanged from Wolves, surely we will keep Formica out wide and Hoilett central.

Formica did a lot of potentially unnoticed graft at Molyneux, often winning the ball off the full back and driving on, and although his shots often lack power and his final ball isn't perfect, he certainly does more than his share of work. He also set Yakubu up for 2 of our best chances in the first half.

Also Hoilett obviously had much more freedom in the centre and has much more of a cutting edge than Formica, and his defensive efforts are less essential if played in the hole. I would be disappointed but not really surprised if Kean started trying to fix something that seemed to work.

I would be content with that side; I would perhaps play Dunn over Pedersen or even Orr and shift Lowe alongside Nzonzi. Also Givet is our best centre back but its unfair and unwise to break up a defence after a rare clean sheet.

Swap Dunn for Pedersen and that's a decent team. All things being equal I'd have Givet in for Dann also but maybe there are good reasons why not.

I know Rovers4good can see the training ground from his house so that'll be the team. Hopefully though we'll have Formica on the right and hoilett as the second striker.

So he must see who all the locals who keep telling Keano what a good job he's doing?

Can you see the front entrance as well? How big a bag does the postie need each day for all those Kean tributes?

It's not about being fair, Givets twice the player of Dann and has more than shown it this year. If fit he should play ala Robbo and Bunn since sunderland are hardly in the same place as Wolves at present.

I agree with your team but Hoilett up front and Formica on Right!!! Stick with the same team that beat Wolves

No room for sentiment in pro football. Can you see Fergie picking a team on a fairness criteria ? Givet, if fully physically and mentally fit should be out there.

I agree. In my opinion Tyrone, a manager should pick what he sees as his best side - full stop. Squad rotation for the sake of it is daft as well. If a player has played too many games and is feeling tired, or not at his best - then fair enough rest him. Squad rotation for the sake of it doesn't make any sense to me.

Archived