BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Sunderland Preview

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost stating the obvious but first goal critical tomorrow night.

If we get it then I'm sure we will win, if they do, a draw at best.

Think we might have to settle for a point. Sunderland wil be well organised and play with a high tempo which just might be a bit much for us.

Givet aside (I'd prefer him at CB, regardless of what he lacks in pace there is no substitute for having at least 1 player in the back 4 with experience - and the instinct and positioning that goes with experience - also to give Robbo confidence in what he has in front of him), the line up looks OK in my opinion. Personally I would put Dunny in the middle and bench Peddo for the first half. Then, if Dunny gets tired as (unfortunately) I think he only has one half of football in him nowadays stamina wise, bring Peddo on for the second half. He did better in the middle with N'Zonzi, than he would out wide.

Regardless, I hope we get the back to back win. I'm almost too nervous about it to hope though. Have to resist the temptation to be overly pessimistic. (Resigning and expecting a loss, and then being able to treat any point like its a bonus.)

• Backroom

This reminds me of stoke at home, on the back of a great away win a chance to give us a real bit of momentum and breathing space so I expect us to mess it up and lose 2-0

Then again if hoilett, the olsson twins and Yakubu play well we can trouble any team.

Sunderland may go into cruise mode soon and should be more tired than we are but it's still tough against an o Neil side

Aye probably about 10-20,000 of them. If Givets fit he should play he's buy far our best and most experienced CB, he leads as well.

Givet's salary was quoted in the press recently, it was extraordinarily low-about 10 grand a week from memory, so I'd reckon its more about Kean feeling more comfortable managing young kids.

As for Dunn, he's the favoured son, extension on his contract, glowing reference from Kean and on a promise to be part of the coaching staff when he stops playing.

Don't expect any anti- Venky/Kean statements from him!

It's certainly going to be tricky, hence why I think it's a good idea for people to back the players as much as possible during the 90 or so minutes and fill them with confidence.

Another veiled dig at the fans. I read the other threads mate and I know exactly what your game is. Patronising git.

The latest load of rubbish spouted by Kean. Selling Samba= Rovers playing better!

I think this confirms Givet is the latest experienced player stuck in the freezer. Givet is on about four times the amount mentioned above.

I was very surprised that he mentioned Hanley as Samba's replacement, next to Dann with no mention of Givet who is by far our best defender. He was a close second to Samba even when Chris was here. A bit dubious for me. I hope Im wrong.

By removing most high earners and appointing a manager on the cheap, Venky's have risked it all.

Now, if we do survive I take it the club's debt and wage bill as percentage of turnover will have reduced significantly?

If not, why not?

The latest load of rubbish spouted by Kean. Selling Samba= Rovers playing better!

I think this confirms Givet is the latest experienced player stuck in the freezer. Givet is on about four times the amount mentioned above.

On Samba: "He was in a bad place but he's moved on."

We know, he was working for you!

I can understand Robbo's comments as captain but reading between the lines it sounds as though the difference between us and Leeds is that most of the players wanting to leave have already left! Those who are left are happy because most of them aren't PL footballers or aren't quite ready. They will be extremely grateful for their chance. I just hope that alone is enough.

Prior to the darkness descending I did wonder if the approach of using the youth would be a good thing. I guess we'll see.

I certainly cannot see Venkys ever sanctioning a move for a 'big' player ever again. I just hope therefore that they keep restocking the pond and keeping the academy going, otherwise this will just be a final throw of the dice, and putting their hands down the back of the sofa.

"Sadly" all I can see is them leaving once the cupboard is bare...

(That's enough mixed metaphors for a Tuesday morning methinks!)

Well we did just keep our first clean sheet of the season.. Is Kean wrong? Samba's wanted to leave for years, its the one bit of business I genuinely dont blame Venky's for. I dont think our performances have been particularly effected by Samba leaving so far and looking at Robbo's comments, it may well have helped the spirit in the dressing room. So long as the Samba money is re-invested (sigh) then I have no issue with him being sold because he clearly didn't want to be here and hasn't for a good year or two.

• Backroom

I certainly cannot see Venkys ever sanctioning a move for a 'big' player ever again.

Have they ever sanctioned a move for a big player? :lol: i'm still not conviced the Ronaldinho or Beckham "chases" were serious and otherwise the best we've had is JJ and RSC on loan. I don't think either could be considered a "big" player despite their big wages.

So long as the Samba money is re-invested

It won't be. Not in the club, anyway.

By removing most high earners and appointing a manager on the cheap, Venky's have risked it all.

Now, if we do survive I take it the club's debt and wage bill as percentage of turnover will have reduced significantly?

If not, why not?

Yes, it will have.

To business people like Venky's that is very good. If we stay up, premier league income with lower outgoings. Perfect business for them.

To football people, lower expenditure = lower quality squad = eventual relegation.

got up this morning, went to the gym, showered then drove in the glorious sunshine to work and got a good summery feeling we will get 3 points tonight. Its all set out (in my eyes).......watch this, we will be pathetic tonight and get hammered!!! But no, Im staying positive. Any news on the Bolton match yet?

Guest Rovers4Good

Not sure if Dunny is fit (AGAIN) so he'll either be on the bench or in the stands.

No can't see the entrance sorry but they do have the Postman Pat van going in everyday. :)

The team mentioned was the team i saw nothing else but the way they lined up showed the way it was but there were a few times when the front boys swapped about so who knows.

All that matters is that we put a shift in and get the 3 points whether we play well or not.

We'll not get a better chance of putting some daylight between us and the rest, playing a Sunderland team with one eye on the cup, I can see a draw tonight but obviously hope we win.

I like how they've photoshopped Desai out of that picture.

You can see how he keeps his job irrespective of performance.

Does anyone ITK know what influence, if any, Assistant Black is having on Rovers performance. Suddenly Kean doesn't make such suicidal selections and substitutions & this seems to coincide with Black's arrival. If the improvement continues tonight I'm going to believe its Black magic on account of Kean is as thick as at least three short planks and can never learn.

2-1 Rovers its time for the Yak to score a few more.

Archived