BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window - Part 2

Kamy100

I would say those of us who said there won't be a good striker through the door for the 1st game of the season were right.

Never fear, we've got Goodwillie. After all, he's shown us in his career so far he's more than capable of scoring 20 goals in the Championship next season.

LOL.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam went in Oct 2010, no?

Wasn't he signed on a pre-contract before his 'spell' at Aberdeen and then can on board fully in Jan 2011.

I'm more curious about the fact he's being described as a Premier League defender. Not even on the bench for a PL match iirc. Is that really how Anderson Snr is marketing him? If it's on his CV, I'd be concerned.

I agree with your point about his being described as a Premier League defender.

However, although he came for a trial in 2010, Allardyce didn't rate him-according to people who saw him around that time because he was useless-and cut short his trial.

According to his dad on Sky, it was despite the excellent tackle he put in that was long remembered after he'd left, the club just couldn't afford to sign him.

According to Wilipedia, the pre-contract was signed in March 2011

It's only a month long deal and I would imagine, or at least hope, that we hace included an option to recall him if needed. If he is a going to be a member of the squad in the future then he will need experience.

I agree with your point about his being described as a Premier League defender.

However, although he came for a trial in 2010, Allardyce didn't rate him-according to people who saw him around that time because he was useless-and cut short his trial.

According to his dad on Sky, it was despite the excellent tackle he put in that was long remembered after he'd left, the club just couldn't afford to sign him.

According to Wilipedia, the pre-contract was signed in March 2011

Fair enough mate. I must have got my transfer windows mixed up. Cheers.

Never fear, we've got Goodwillie. After all, he's shown us in his career so far he's more than capable of scoring 20 goals in the Championship next season.

LOL.

when given the chance and played in the right position goodie has scores goals for us, also i would say the spl and are close to each other in terms of quality, except for maybe the two promoted teams.

plus if he does not make it this year, he would prob be punted back there....

Fair enough mate. I must have got my transfer windows mixed up. Cheers.

Cheers.

Please don't take what I wrote as being a criticism of you.

My principle concern was the information provided by Aldershot-that he was a Premier League defender and that the date he signed was incorrect.

My fear is that this will become the truth used to describe him in future and that he will sound better than he is.

been a bit of a downer this window, we havent really splashed out on anyone, bar best who is injured for half the season, came back from benidorm this week expecting to read about us bringing in a quality striker, no info in the english papers about rovers over there, if we go into this season with what we have got then we will be midtable at best.

when given the chance and played in the right position goodie has scores goals for us, also i would say the spl and are close to each other in terms of quality, except for maybe the two promoted teams.

plus if he does not make it this year, he would prob be punted back there....

He has indeed scored goals for us, all 4 of them.

Goodwillie knows where the net is but the rest of his game is seriously lacking, he doesn't seem to have the ability to get his head up and create something he gets the ball puts his head down and runs like a duck hopeing he can get near the net.

But he can improve that aspect of his game and he did look a lot better when he played against weaker teams in the cup's than he did in the league. So if played he could have a good season

been a bit of a downer this window, we havent really splashed out on anyone, bar best who is injured for half the season, came back from benidorm this week expecting to read about us bringing in a quality striker, no info in the english papers about rovers over there, if we go into this season with what we have got then we will be midtable at best.

I think it`s 8 players we`ve signed so far with another 2 expected.

I think it's been a great windows so far; best, Murphy and Etuhu are excellent signings plus we've kept the majority of the squad together.

We have strength in depth but we do need one more quality striker. I'd say when best is back from injury and we have signed a new striker, we should finish top 2. However, you of course have to factor kean which means the team won't reach it's full potential so I'd predict top six next season.

Tim Payne is another of our youth striker`s that should make an impact in the championship,hasn`t he just been promoted to NZ first team?.

4 well known and 4 complete random players who helped Steve Kean with his bags when he was on holiday in Portugal?

:D

Danny Murphy - Should be an on-field organiser and leader, and has the quality and experience to play in the Premier League. 10/10

Dickson Etuhu - A perfect partner for Murphy; has played with him before, will win us the ball back, has stamina and is something we have lacked for a while. 10/10

Nuno Gomes - Experienced and knows where the net is, and will help the younger attackers we have. 2 years deal seems alot. 7/10

Colin Kazim Richards - Pacy and skilful if slightly enigmatic, should have the quality to be a real asset in this league having played Champions League and European Champinship football. 7.5/10

Leon Best - Seemed an excellent foil for our flair players, and had the potential to score goals at this level. However has been injured before and obviously his injury is a huge blow. 5/10 (would have been 8)

Fabio Nunes - Cheap and cheerful but has impressed me in pre-season. 6.5/10

Paolo Jorge and Edinho - I wouldn't be surprised if they disappeared. - 4/10

I would say it has been a very good summer in terms of transfers, with Martin Olsson, Gael Givet, Mauro Formica, Ruben Rochina, Paul Robinson, Grant Hanley, Jason Lowe and Simon Vukcevic all still at the club as it stands.

The squad now looks good, but we know that isn't the problem. Even if we get a goalscorer in to replace Best and keep the above players, the presence of Kean and Venky's will continue to handicap us greatly. However I don't think you can say the summer window has been anytihng but good in terms of transfers.

Goodwillie knows where the net is but the rest of his game is seriously lacking, he doesn't seem to have the ability to get his head up and create something he gets the ball puts his head down and runs like a duck hopeing he can get near the net.

But he can improve that aspect of his game

How do you go about improving on running like a duck? Waddle faster?

Archived