BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W recent upturn in form, I'd say OGS's chance of being appointed have shot up massively. He would take the job but not for another month.

He fits the Singh mould of being a young up and coming manager, he also fits the shaw mould of wanting someone who has managerial experience and he fits the Venkys mould of being a big name. He'd also bring the fans back.

All I remember is the result.

Football.

Seriously?

In the cold light of day, tomorrow morning I'll probably agree but if we want to bring fans back, it's not going to happen on the back of performances like that.

It's not even as though we are creating chances. It's attritional at best. I just hope the new man can get better performances than we've seen.

I don't want to turn this into an Allardyce-style, ingratitude debate because it's not the same; we aren't even solid-looking at the back. Frankly against better finishers we'd be below Burnley right now.

Seriously?

In the cold light of day, tomorrow morning I'll probably agree but if we want to bring fans back, it's not going to happen on the back of performances like that.

It's not even as though we are creating chances. It's attritional at best. I just hope the new man can get better performances than we've seen.

I don't want to turn this into an Allardyce-style, ingratitude debate because it's not the same; we aren't even solid-looking at the back. Frankly against better finishers we'd be below Burnley right now.

I think it's very much a work in progress, Stu.

You think how disorganized and demotivated our players have become after two years of Steve Kean, you can't expect the assistant manager to wave a magic wand and fix it within a month. From the looks of it, Black is addressing the main issue with the team - our leaky defence. Granted, the opposition haven't been going great guns but that never stopped us leaking goals under the bald one. Not that I'm using this as a case for Black becoming our full-time manager but I'm willing to cut him some slack under the circumstances. I still believe we require an external appointment to really get the best out of this side.

Seriously?

It can't just happen that quickly - first thing is to get much more organised and stop continuously leaking goals. After that, once there is more of a platform, we can look to build attacking wise.

Most important thing is to pick up results - Black has done OK - point I was making earlier is that if we are scrapping around for a manager, I would prefer to see Black kept on.

Credit where credit is due - Black has steadied the ship and given us enough points that keeps us right in the mix.

Venky's and Singh are so feckin lucky to be in this position after their, IMO, crass mismanagement.

I can accept that.

You think how disorganized and demotivated our players have become after two years of Steve Kean, you can't expect the assistant manager to wave a magic wand and fix it within a month. From the looks of it, Black is addressing the main issue with the team - our leaky defence. Granted, the opposition haven't been going great guns but that never stopped us leaking goals under the bald one.

You have a point but we are still giving better than decent chances to the opposition. Perhaps we are benefitting from an improvement in morale which is giving us 5% more. I can't take away from Black's clean sheet record - in the final analysis, the league doesn't show how well you played - or whether you deserved the points (which we didn't today).

Not that I'm using this as a case for Black becoming our full-time manager but I'm willing to cut him some slack under the circumstances. I still believe we require an external appointment to really get the best out of this side.

Agreed.

I'm not saying keep him, but what I am saying is that he's done a good job, as Tugs pointed out.

Yeah, fair dos.

Credit where credit is due - Black has steadied the ship and given us enough points that keeps us right in the mix.

Venky's and Singh are so feckin lucky to be in this position after their, IMO, crass mismanagement.

Definatly! VERY lucky!!!

People Still think Kean was the eason we ae in a mess, and that a new manager will solve everything. Its so obvious that until Venkys go we can not move foward and will cary on sinking.

They need to go or I really fear for the existance of our club. IMO Kean was always the wrong target.

I alluded to this last week in the Eric Black thread. Black has shown that he knows football and could see our obvious deficiencies. Against Wolves (which was a dire spectacle) he played 5 at the back and tried to keep it tight. OK it was to the detriment to our attacking play, but he tried to change it. Getting this balancing act right is like playing darts. If you've set yourself up for a 3 dart finish most people set a marker with the first dart, then adjust it with the second and hopefully get close with the third. Striking the balance is hard work. Kean would just approach every shot with his eyes closed and hope for the best.

In the current circumstances, what with promotion being an absolute must, Black shouldn't get the job. The club needs that bounce of a new manager coming in. However, if we were financially secure and looking to build a side capable of promotion over 2 or 3 seasons, i have to be honest, Black would have done enough to encourage me that he's got the necessary ability to spot a problem, fix it and maybe be a success. He's been in the game a long tie and has worked with some good people who trust him. He speaks honestly and he treats the fans with respect in doing so. Sadly for him, the club with its heavy media pull (for some reason) and need for promotion, should be playing things safe and appointing a proven manager to shorten the odds of promotion. But if it came down to a toss up between Black, Keith Hill and Karl Robinson i would be struggling to think of many reasons why Black shouldn't get the gig.

Black has made us hard to beat by getting us organised and secure at the back. Two points from promotion places. Great foundation for the new man.

good point. would like to see Black stay on as assistant when the new manager is appoint depending who it is.

would anyone take Black now as manager??? just asking the question btw.

I alluded to this last week in the Eric Black thread. Black has shown that he knows football and could see our obvious deficiencies. Against Wolves (which was a dire spectacle) he played 5 at the back and tried to keep it tight. OK it was to the detriment to our attacking play, but he tried to change it. Getting this balancing act right is like playing darts. If you've set yourself up for a 3 dart finish most people set a marker with the first dart, then adjust it with the second and hopefully get close with the third. Striking the balance is hard work. Kean would just approach every shot with his eyes closed and hope for the best.

In the current circumstances, what with promotion being an absolute must, Black shouldn't get the job. The club needs that bounce of a new manager coming in. However, if we were financially secure and looking to build a side capable of promotion over 2 or 3 seasons, i have to be honest, Black would have done enough to encourage me that he's got the necessary ability to spot a problem, fix it and maybe be a success. He's been in the game a long tie and has worked with some good people who trust him. He speaks honestly and he treats the fans with respect in doing so. Sadly for him, the club with its heavy media pull (for some reason) and need for promotion, should be playing things safe and appointing a proven manager to shorten the odds of promotion. But if it came down to a toss up between Black, Keith Hill and Karl Robinson i would be struggling to think of many reasons why Black shouldn't get the gig.

Very fair.

good point. would like to see Black stay on as assistant when the new manager is appoint depending who it is.

would anyone take Black now as manager??? just asking the question btw.

If the options are the likes of Hill, Robinson I would probably keep Black.

Black has made us hard to beat by getting us organised and secure at the back. Two points from promotion places. Great foundation for the new man.

Agreed and the honesty and integrity which he has given his post match interviews has been refreshing, particularly after almost two years of bull. He also dropped the likes of Murphy and Olssen who weren't doing it, something his predecessor wouldn't have done.

Irrespective of what happens over the next few days I think we have a lot to thank Eric Black for.

The good thing is black or whoever will get rid of our rubbish in january. How we've acumaleted so much tripe underwear kean god knows.

Easier said than done with the contracts they are on !

Lovely stuff lads, a nice bit of harmony for a page or so. Now, what about those morons booing today? No manager will want a job in this atmosphere. I'm think gonna place the blame on Glen/ BRAG et al. Disgraceful.

Now, let's have it...

I thought they were booing CKR after his miss. Bonkers if so.

That's the X-Factor generation for you.

Archived