BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, people don't always get appointed for the right reasons, one of which is that those who appoint managers and the fans also, usually want a "name" with a high profile rather than someone with intelligence and ability which often remains hidden because their low profile means they aren't lucky enough to be given a chance.

Black has tended to follow Bruce around because Bruce has the ex-United profile who finds favour with directors looking for some publicity, but you can't tell me that Black wouldn't be the brains in that pairing. Similarly with Hughes - he has the profile but personally I think it likely that it's Bowen who has the intelligence, but fewer people would have heard of him and directors, like fans, go for the recognised name. (Has anyone ever mentioned him for us?)

I think Black would do a solid job, but then I'm not at all interested in appointing a name just for the sake of it.

Without going overboard, he's impressed me, so far. He's a polar opposite to Kean. Maybe I'm giving too much weight to that element, I don't know, because God knows, we need to erase the memory of Coco somehow, but I don't think it's just that. I look at most of the names on the supposed list(s) and genuinely reckon he's a better, if an unexciting choice.

It's all guesswork and hunches whoever we pick because you can't guarantee success, especially at our level, with the added complication of our ownership making real success extremely unlikely.

The Daily Star :lol:

Beaten to it! I'd only read that rag if I was interested in the sex lives of ZZ list celeb wannabes, Which I'm not.

I'll believe the Redknapp stuff if it comes from a credible source. Some the ITKers on here are more credible than The Star.

why dont the people wait to read the full article in the DS before making fun of it.

some people are a joke on here :angry: :angry: :angry:

Chaddy - if Arry joins Rovers, I will supply you with free beer until Christmas !

Chaddy - if Arry joins Rovers, I will supply you with free beer until Christmas !

never said he would join did I??? all i said was wait for the article to be public before judging it.

I think you'll find the paper is the joke chaddy, you really should stop pinning hope on these two bit articles.

Daily Star is a good paper for football coverage.

Star, Mirror, Sun...all the same and all fabricate stories to sell papers.

Still think it'll be Holloway from the noises being made at the Blackpool end, but I guess all will (should) be clear in the next few days...

Ahahahahaha.

+1

Anyway, happy tonight. Very pleased for Rhodes, great finish. Works hard. Good lad. Pleased for Black as well, can't be easy knowing you could be out of a job any day. Yes, he gets paid well, but at least he shows some humility and honesty. In stark contrast to whatshisface. I wish him well, should we ever appoint a new manager and he brings in his own men. Funny how Dann and Hanley look good centre halves now isn't it?

Oh and there's more chance of Richards putting a proper shift in than Arry turning up at Rovers. Kin none.

I would agree with that, I noticed when Kean was here, Black was telling him stuff during games but Kean just looked bemused and did nothing about it.

He has done a decent job and shored up our supposedly leaky defence, which it wasnt really, just poor tactics by Coco!!

I even noticed that on the telly over here, Kean looked like he was paying him no attention whatsover, totally ignoring what he was saying.

I am not advocating Black for the managers job, however, I will say this, he has had to inherit a squad which was not his and the job as caretaker manager is a custodian of the team until the new man takes charge, he has shored up the defence and we look difficult to beat now, we are short of pace throughout the team but Black cant do much about that as caretaker, in my opinion, he is a decent coach, honest in his analysis of games and he deserves our gratitude.

In fairness, its sad that a new man may come in and Black would go, he has a bit of something about him in my opinion!

Well done Eric, only one defeat and we arent leaking goals any more, same defence, same squad but no Coco to screw it up!!

I am not advocating Black for the managers job, however, I will say this, he has had to inherit a squad which was not his and the job as caretaker manager is a custodian of the team until the new man takes charge, he has shored up the defence and we look difficult to beat now, we are short of pace throughout the team but Black cant do much about that as caretaker, in my opinion, he is a decent coach, honest in his analysis of games and he deserves our gratitude.

In fairness, its sad that a new man may come in and Black would go, he has a bit of something about him in my opinion!

Well done Eric, only one defeat and we arent leaking goals any more, same defence, same squad but no Coco to screw it up!!

I'm not advocating him getting the job either but we are much better defensively (obviously). We still aren't any better attacking wise than the games under Kean this season but he's sorted the defense without us losing the little attacking impetus we had. If he had a little more time i'm sure he could sort out the lack of support, movement and guile we are currently displaying.

That said i'd rather we didn't take another punt as we need promotion; not favours or loyalty.

Hughes ego too big for us, could not see him coming back.

Don't think I want him back maybe he was a bit of a flash in the pan with us. Those of us not blinded by the good might also remember twoard the end he was getting a bit dodgy here. He did do reasonably well at Fulham though if memory serves.

That's not true - he's managed both Motherwell and Coventry.

We may be boring and unattractive at present, but think back to Mark Hughes - he made us boring and tough to beat before building a thoroughly good side - Black has inherited a situation far worse than the one Hughes had to contend with.

Coventry sacked him and his win percentage at Motherwell was 25% (not sure if he was sacked from there too, Wiki doesn't give that detail). Hardly a ringing endorsement for his skills!

To be factually correct, I could say no-one in the last 8 years has deemed him worthy of a managerial position. Surely the fact that his managerial position was brief and he dropped back to an assistant tells you that there are fatal flaws in his skillset which prevent him having the top job?

Assistant managers hardly ever make good managers. Sbragia is a great example of someone who did ok as a caretaker but got found out in the long term. All Black has shown us is that he can make us harder to beat than Kean could. That's probably 5% of what he needs to be successful as a long term manager. It's unbelievably risky with the odds well stacked against it being a success based on past examples. As I suggested before...the odds of the best man for the job coincidentally being the current assistant manager? Very, very low!

Just got back from a family "do"and in the presence of the Blackpool captain Baptiste,had to have a word with him,and said your gaffer is on his way isn't he,he agreed that he thought he is moving on,I asked him do you think he will move to Rovers,he said not sure but he would be silly not to go to Rovers,so make that whatever,but certainatly got the impression he is defo not staying at Bpool,will soon find out where he is going.

Just got back from a family "do"and in the presence of the Blackpool captain Baptiste,had to have a word with him,and said your gaffer is on his way isn't he,he agreed that he thought he is moving on,I asked him do you think he will move to Rovers,he said not sure but he would be silly not to go to Rovers,so make that whatever,but certainatly got the impression he is defo not staying at Bpool,will soon find out where he is going.

Very interesting, cheers Unsall (you were a very good left back btw)

As for Black I concur with some of the posts further up. I don't think that he deserves the gig permanently but he does deserve our gratitude in making the best of the dogs breakfast that was left to him. He certainly does not deserve some of the nastiness that has been posted on here.

I do feel that some posters reflect a section of the Rovers support who are in a perpetual state of anger and hate.

Coventry sacked him and his win percentage at Motherwell was 25% (not sure if he was sacked from there too, Wiki doesn't give that detail). Hardly a ringing endorsement for his skills!

To be factually correct, I could say no-one in the last 8 years has deemed him worthy of a managerial position. Surely the fact that his managerial position was brief and he dropped back to an assistant tells you that there are fatal flaws in his skillset which prevent him having the top job?

Yeah, Coventry sacked him DESPITE him havng a win percentage of 46.15%. You conveniently forgot to mention that. Not advocating Black as the next manager, but he's not as bad as you make him out to be either. And that isn't factually correct either. Eric Black was offered jobs elsewhere, I forgot which club, but if I remember correctly they were Championship clubs, and he chose to stick to being Steve Bruce's assistant. He did an interview on that, explaining why he gave up management jobs to be an assistant manager, something along the lines of learning from Bruce or gaining more experience.

Blacks doing ok, clean sheets and a centre forward who bags you goals will see you do ok in this league. We could do with getting a new manager in to push us on but no issues in the meantime with black IMO. Stop the booing for now and enjoy the clean sheets...

I do feel that some posters reflect a section of the Rovers support who are in a perpetual state of anger and hate.

I don't blame them but hate and anger at Black is misguided. He has made the best of a keany situation and his 33% win percentage is way higher than Steve Kean's! Now we just have to hope that the clueless cretins in charge make at least a half decent decision. Harry has gone to QPR and will be appointed as soon as Hughes' compo is sorted. So that leave Holloway who would be #1 for me out of all the possibilities.

Archived