BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

den

That is just what I have been told John , RE Davies. I dont think he would be worst appointment though.

On experience, I concurr that seems to be general consensus, but its also dividing opinion as once we get experienced names, people are then trying to again whittle those names down.

I think whoever Rovers appoint will divide opinion, as everyone has their own idea of their perfect appointment. However we are not in an ideal world at present and Rovers are damaged goods

Nobody expects a perfect appointment Glen. We're realists most of us. what we want is someone who can cope with the warring factions in the boardroom and somehow retain his honesty and real (not media perceived) dignity. Along with this we need someone who can get that extra 10% out of all our players and get them playing as a team and winning. Surely that's not too much to ask, even if we are damaged goods.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is just what I have been told John , RE Davies. I dont think he would be worst appointment though.

On experience, I concurr that seems to be general consensus, but its also dividing opinion as once we get experienced names, people are then trying to again whittle those names down.

I think whoever Rovers appoint will divide opinion, as everyone has their own idea of their perfect appointment. However we are not in an ideal world at present and Rovers are damaged goods

I agree that whoever we get will divide opinion but I haven't spoke to anyone who thinks Peter Taylor would be a good appointment. His record as a manager is shocking.

anybody else think the quality of applicants would have severely dropped since the last time we were looking for a manager ?? i remember Shebby crowing about how amazed he was at the top class managers that had applied ..... ( i'd like to know why he didnt appoint one of them then?)

what if a new manager dont want him though?

crazy that ANY deals can be done unless shabby wingit is managing ....oh aye .

It's a fair point but I would have been gutted to have lost him.

He's been one of the few shining lights this season.

the bigger question for me, is who are the venkys now turning too to help make the decision.

shebby is the public face. Shaw/agnew are the scraps to show some semblance of running the club in the UK. But who else is involved? Who's delaying the decision?

the bigger question for me, is who are the venkys now turning too to help make the decision.

shebby is the public face. Shaw/agnew are the scraps to show some semblance of running the club in the UK. But who else is involved? Who's delaying the decision?

STEVE KEAN

I've wanted Rovers to go after Curbishley a few times over the years and I think he is by far and away the best candidate out there. The guy knows how to get sides promoted, he knows how to get the best out of his players, he can work with a limited budget and has experience of keeping sides in the Premier League (should we make it back maybe next season).

With regards to Rovers being damaged goods, yes we are but Peter Taylor's last 3 jobs were Bahrain (sacked), Bradford (left by mutual consent after bad results) and Wycombe (sacked).

Do Venkys think we are on the same level as these three clubs ?

Seriously is this Shebbys idea of a manager with experience ? Experience in what exactly ?

I've wanted Rovers to go after Curbishley a few times over the years and I think he is by far and away the best candidate out there. The guy knows how to get sides promoted, he knows how to get the best out of his players, he can work with a limited budget and has experience of keeping sides in the Premier League (should we make it back maybe next season).

He's been out of football for years....why do you think that is ?

maybe its just been his decision to be out of football... He certainly hasnt been as bad as Peter Taylor., in fact he is a really good manager. I would take Curbishley or Hoddle, but neither will come here. Next best is Billy davies or O Driscoll, but we Venkys are still llooking at Taylor. Unbelievable stuff this!

Coaching

Gary Bowyer as head coach, Sven as D.O.F with Shebby as Global Adviser. Not beyond the realms of possibility and might be the experienced figure a guy like Bowyer may need and the only figure to put up; with these clowns.

Manager

Gus Poyet, Brighton fans feel hes taken them as far as he can, plenty of experience as assistant at spurs, knows the championship league already.

I don't know, you would have to ask him or ask other clubs who have decided not to contact him. What's the harm in speaking to him? If they made an approach they would soon know if he is interested or not.

Rovers won't approach him (they are looking for a coach rather than manager) but if I was in charge of Rovers he would be the first out of work manager I would be talking to. Looking at all the necessary criteria that I would suggest has to be met he is the best fit out there.

He was on gardening leave for a year or two whilst in a contract wrangle with W Ham but i believe that was sorted some time ago. It is a bit strange how he hasn't got back in the game yet as surely he's been in demand a number of times ?

Any member of BRAG (particularly those holding "high office") who comes on here or any public forum, seeking to voice support for the appointment of Taylor as manager, sadly, has changed function, from one of representing the fans to the club, to that of representing the club to the fans, and they need to examine their individual consciences.

In the John Williams era, indeed in ANY era of the club prior to this one, it would, I agree, have been an honour to be a fans representative to the club, to participate in issues which affect us, the fans. (Not issues of team management, but simple day-to-day issues affecting fans' concerns.) Under this regime, it is not an honour at all, it is dishonourable, a disgrace. A perversion. There will not be, and cannot be, any ultimately good outcome from this ownership. It is going to end badly.

Thus it can be seen what an absolute master-stroke it was for the ownership regime to co-opt the "fans" into the club in the way that they did. It has destroyed the official opposition to their rule and on the contrary, has (almost) given their apparently bizarre actions a credible voice, when it deserves none.

You see, Venkys (or whoever truly runs the club with executive power), apparently so clueless in everything they do, weren't so incompetent there, were they?

In everything else that they do, on the surface, it all seems so perverse. Every action, every decision, the opposite of what good, sound, proper football club governance is about - the polar opposite of what WE used to be about, before they arrived.

That's because, clearly, decisions taken by the club are no longer pure footballing decisions in the way that they used to be. They can't be about winning matches, acquiring points, appointing the best available manager with a view to being successful on the pitch, otherwise, virtually every decisions they've ever made would have been the opposite of what it was.

For instance, Taylor is nowhere near the best available option. We all know that. Neither was Berg. Neither, especially, was Kean. We all knew that, as well. None would, I suggest, have been considered by any other Championship club. Only ours. Why is that?

It's only when you give another context to the decisions which are taken, that they no longer are perverse, or a series of cock-ups, but the essence of good sense for a regime operating to another agenda.

I think, we ALL can accurately surmise what is going on. Until it's publicly proven, we can only observe any and all decisions which the club takes to form our judgment, and it clearly isn't the running of our club in the way it should be, and the way it used to be, so for ANY supporter, particularly those with influence and prominence, to give succour to the regime, seeking to defend the indefensible, frankly, is unforgivable.

very good, accurate post.

The opinion of fans has ALWAYS mattered when selecting a manager. JW was set to appoint Allardyce before Ince and had to back track on the decision due to support opinion. Are you saying the fans opinion doesn't matter any more? Perhaps it doesn't, but at almost every other Football League Club it does. We pay to go and watch, if they appoint Peter Taylor I won't. That's their call, but not listening to your fans is financial suicide. No fans, no club, no supporter groups!

Me also. Curbishley would be perfect for the club at this time for all the reasons mentioned above.

Read elsewhere that our short list involves four top quality applicants;

Taylor - Davies - Macdonald - Ali.

Would much prefer it to read Curbishley, Souness, Hughes, or Kenny D.

Judging from what I've read on here and speaking to other fans it seems that you could probably ask 20 different people who want 20 different managers and at least 1 person who would passionately hate somebody else's first choice but it seems that unanimously people think Peter Taylor would be a disaster so on that basis alone and venkys track record of getting EVERYTHING to date wrong I'm bracing myself for his appointment.

I'm personally resigned to the fact it'll be a dreadful appointment whoever it is but my expectations are so low I'd almost accept a decision that doesn't make me so angry I want to put my fist through the wall.

But considering Peter Taylor, Gary bowyer, Kevin McDonald, juadan Ali, McKinley and even shabby are in the top 10 favourites on sky bet I'll probably have a wall to patch up shortly...

Archived