BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs. Blackpool **Updated with Colourful Graphs!*

Whilst not brilliant yesterday, it was still a huge improvement on what we witnessed under Appleton. There was some thought to our play and at least players were attempting to pass to one another and there seemed to be a concerted effort to play the ball along the ground to feet instead of hoofing it aimlessly in the air.

Excellent performances from Williamson and Kane, who I liked even in his first loan spell here which makes it even more baffling as to why MA recalled Orr.

One or two poor performances from players you'd expect better from, particularly Jones. Also thought Dunny was particularly wasteful in possession squandering decent opportunities time after time. His general fitness levels seemed ok by his standards though. Still can't see anything in King. One or two flashy moments but no end product yesterday. Morris looked somewhat out of his depth at LB imo.

If there was anything you could criticise Bowyer for yesterday it was that with the benefit of hindsight we set up too cautiously at the start against a very poor Blackpool side. When CKR, Rhodes and Best were on the pitch at the same time we looked quite potent. However given the car crash Bowyer inherited off Appleton it's perhaps not surprising he wanted to steady the ship a little to start with.

Overall though not too bad, in my view if we take one of the two opportunities before Blackpool scored, we go on to win comfortably. I was of the view that the possibility of relegation had lessened considerably with the sacking of Appleton and the reinstatement of Bowyer and yesterday's match reaffirmed my opinion.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who saw that match yesterday. Whilst it was still poor it was a vast improvement on the previous ones. It had got to 35 mins before I looked at the clock whereas in previous weeks it's been every few mins wondering how long before i could go home. The fact that we missed the 2 very good chances is remarkable in itself in that we actually had players in scoring positions which hasn't been happeneing recently. poor we may still be but we definitely looked more willing to receive the ball and to try to pass it to a teammate. Far too many passes still going astray, far too much possession still being given away cheaply, but that's to be expected when you change managers and teams around as often as we have. good teams are built on a squad of 16 or so who expect to play regularly and who know one another's movements. they are built on the training ground and drilled to play automatically. How much real training have our players done in the last 3 years? Probably less meaningful stuff than most teams do in a couple of months

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst not brilliant yesterday, it was still a huge improvement on what we witnessed under Appleton. There was some thought to our play and at least players were attempting to pass to one another and there seemed to be a concerted effort to play the ball along the ground to feet instead of hoofing it aimlessly in the air.

Excellent performances from Williamson and Kane, who I liked even in his first loan spell here which makes it even more baffling as to why MA recalled Orr.

One or two poor performances from players you'd expect better from, particularly Jones. Also thought Dunny was particularly wasteful in possession squandering decent opportunities time after time. His general fitness levels seemed ok by his standards though. Still can't see anything in King. One or two flashy moments but no end product yesterday. Morris looked somewhat out of his depth at LB imo.

If there was anything you could criticise Bowyer for yesterday it was that with the benefit of hindsight we set up too cautiously at the start against a very poor Blackpool side. When CKR, Rhodes and Best were on the pitch at the same time we looked quite potent. However given the car crash Bowyer inherited off Appleton it's perhaps not surprising he wanted to steady the ship a little to start with.

Overall though not too bad, in my view if we take one of the two opportunities before Blackpool scored, we go on to win comfortably. I was of the view that the possibility of relegation had lessened considerably with the sacking of Appleton and the reinstatement of Bowyer and yesterday's match reaffirmed my opinion.

Mostly agree with your comments here RB and a welcome relief from most posts were just certain points are taken as major from the game rather than an overall oversight.

CKR for me made the difference when he came on and gave the Pool defence something to think about - however, I think that you are being a tad harsh on Morris - as he isn't a left back - and I think what people are missing with him is that at least on the wing he does try and get forward and has a decent delivery on him from crosses.

I still don't think Bowyer will be the saviour people are expecting and feel we will still take the drop, but yesterday although slight there was ' a bit more' to our game play to have a bit of hope.

King is pants. How the hell he got into Old Trafford is a mystery to me. I seem to remember that he might have been recommend to Fergie by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer when he spotted him at one of his soccer schools in Norway.

Bet old old whisky nose was glad to get rid.

I was impressed by Williamson and to some extent, Kane, but Morris got himself into trouble with his reliance solely on his left peg.

Worried about Cardiff but who knows? I would rather watch a Bowyer team than an Appleton one.

King reminds me of a lot of youth team players who have bags of pace and are well built. They excel through the youth systems because they are so much quicker and stronger than their rivals. When it comes to everybody growing into their bodies the other players have had to develop their footballing brain which King hasn't as pace has got him through his career, thus leaving him well behind when it comes to first team football.

Not being misty eyed, just think both were class compared to some of the dross on show today in the Prem. Judging by your comments about your talents Thenodrog, you could probably have been in the current Rovers team, especially from the speed point of view.

Talents? Completely, utterly and totally one footed, cruciate ligament damage from age 15 (no miracle operations back then) and a second touch that was usually a tackle saw any chance of that off.

Tell you what giant I don't know if you've ever watched Prem football from ground level right next to the pitch but it is unbelievably fast and the passing is like pinball, yet the players control the ball effortlessly. It's something that doesn't come across from sitting high in the stands, behind the goals or watching on TV.

Talents? Completely, utterly and totally one footed, cruciate ligament damage from age 15 (no miracle operations back then) and a second touch that was usually a tackle saw any chance of that off.

Tell you what giant I don't know if you've ever watched Prem football from ground level right next to the pitch but it is unbelievably fast and the passing is like pinball, yet the players control the ball effortlessly. It's something that doesn't come across from sitting high in the stands, behind the goals or watching on TV.

Yeah, even in the old days leaning on the wall at the Riverside it was scarily fast. I subbed a few times as an amateur player in the old one sub days and the game was always really fast when you were just stood on the touchline waiting to come on . When you actually got on it wasn't so bad.

Metcalfe was decent but he constantly 'drilled himself into the ground' going around in circles.

When Parkes didn't play, neither did the Rovers.

I'm not sure that you can make those sort of comparisons. Bit like comparing Tugay and Sav. Completely different players who complemented each other well. Mekky was a real talent and a playmaker whilst TP was a get it and give it, run all day type of player. Liam Brady had only one foot and totally predicatbel but no one could get anywhere near him and Mekky was not dissimilar.

When CKR, Rhodes and Best were on the pitch at the same time we looked quite potent.

Early days after his injury but I'm afraid I don't see much in Best up to date Simon. All that happened was that CKR (who is a talent) got pushed out on the left wing where he wasn't as influential. I'm no manager but I would have shoved CKR up alongside Rhodes and introduced MGP to the rh side of midfield to replace the completely static Dunny after 60 mins and Stewart would not have needed to take his tracksuit off.

• Backroom

We still need to find a setup which creates chances, again I feel we created less than a poor Blackpool team yesterday but clearly more than the last few games.

Other than his simple but well taken goal Rhodes didn't get one sniff of a chance in the box, Jones chance was more a piece of luck than crafted and the chance king missed was really well worked.

Other than those 3 I can't recall us doing anything apart from a few pop shops outside the box.

Rhodes whilst isolated did a good job of knocking a few headers out wide but Dunny is never a winger and king is out of form.

I actually fancy us to nick something at Cardiff it feels like there will be limited pressure on the team as nothing is expected there

Very funny, did you actually go or were you on your PC instead......now @#/? off back to to your home - planet Mars.

what a pathetic childish response! maybe you should stick to cockle picking on the river ribble estuary or if your a dingle (amongst the many others on here) maybe you should stick to what your doing best.. INTERBREEDING

We still need to find a setup which creates chances, again I feel we created less than a poor Blackpool team yesterday but clearly more than the last few games.

Other than his simple but well taken goal Rhodes didn't get one sniff of a chance in the box, Jones chance was more a piece of luck than crafted and the chance king missed was really well worked.

Other than those 3 I can't recall us doing anything apart from a few pop shops outside the box.

Rhodes whilst isolated did a good job of knocking a few headers out wide but Dunny is never a winger and king is out of form.

I actually fancy us to nick something at Cardiff it feels like there will be limited pressure on the team as nothing is expected there

if we can put a run together with a fit team for a prolonged spell we will see a lot more creativity and points on board.More team shuffling yesterday due to the Olson twins didnt help again but I thought we played well considering.

what a pathetic childish response! maybe you should stick to cockle picking on the river ribble estuary or if your a dingle (amongst the many others on here) maybe you should stick to what your doing best.. INTERBREEDING

Ironic or what? That is just about the most patheic and childish response I can think of.

King reminds me of a lot of youth team players who have bags of pace and are well built. They excel through the youth systems because they are so much quicker and stronger than their rivals. When it comes to everybody growing into their bodies the other players have had to develop their footballing brain which King hasn't as pace has got him through his career, thus leaving him well behind when it comes to first team football.

You could be right there Cesus. I'm not a follower of youth games but that makes sense.

To me though he reminds me of Rochina - has the ability to take a defender on and keep possession more often than not, just has no idea about then passing it to a teammate so just stumbles on until he loses it.

You could be right there Cesus. I'm not a follower of youth games but that makes sense.

To me though he reminds me of Rochina - has the ability to take a defender on and keep possession more often than not, just has no idea about then passing it to a teammate so just stumbles on until he loses it.

Completely different types of player imo.

King is a speedboat with no footballing brain. Rochina has the vision and ability to pick out a killer pass others can't see but at this stage of his career chooses the wrong option at times.

17,700 where did that figure come from? Only 3K less than the Burnley game (not)? The JW yesterday, a total of both Upper and Lower had way less than 1,000.....more like 700 or 800.

Considering your declared location PB, I would have thought you of all people would have known the answer to that. ;-)

Largely agree with Theno and Rev.

First half was woeful; looked like a team that hadn’t played together, square pegs in round holes, not all fit, in a shape that maybe wasn’t too familiar. Second half improved as they came to terms with the shape and each other. Nice to see some thought in the shape away from a dreadfully rigid 442 under MA. 451, 433, 4141 or whatever is the way to go but then it’s all about getting the right personnel in there. Williamson looked off the pace to begin but grew in stature as the game progressed.

-Playing pinball footy on that pitch is impossible, more so with players who might not have instant touch in the first place. But credit due –players trying to knock it about, defenders trying to look short into the hole.
-Dunny should never be on the right side – he can’t (and don’t want him to anyway) chase up and down. Appreciate he had something of a free role but he needs to be centre from the off.
-Gamst, whatever you think about him would have provided better balance with Dunny more central
-King should be dropped
-Morris is not up to it yet, certainly not full back
-CKR is a man among boys and ideally should not be wasted on the flank
-Lowe was excellent yesterday; bags of energy, rarely gave the ball away
-disappointed with Jones yesterday; but still like his grit
-Kane offers energy all day long, gets forward, not best crosser on evidence of yesterday but definitely better than Orr. Maybe lacking height for the diagonal cross/corners.
-not convinced by Best
-patently obvious we need to decide on a shape that works and hopefully keep the same players in that shape

Where does that leave us?

Keane
Kane Dann Hanley Morris(Olssen)
Dunn Williamson(Jones)
Lowe CKR Gamst
Rhodes

Keane
Kane Dann Hanley Morris(Olssen)
Lowe Williamson (Jones)
CKR Dunn Gamst
Rhodes

I sat in the Darren End for this game. Maybe I was wrong on the gate but it looked somewhat inflated.

I know what you mean but there were a LOT of Blackpool fans in.

The JW stand always looks similar these days. 17k is still only just over half full so it's possible.

Its been the same all season, they are counting non attending season Ticket holders into the figures, a ploy used by many other struggling clubs over the years. The attendances at the Millwall and Bristol cup games are probably the only true reflection of the current footfall at Ewood.

That's ridiculous. Rochina a class act. King a donkey. Can you imagine King getting in a Spanish top flight team?!

Archived