BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not claiming anything. The only thing we know is that Whelan said they made an enquiry and that was as far as it went. The reason for that we can only speculate upon.

It's merely my opinion that transferring Rhodes to Wigan at this stage would not be an attractive option to either BRFC or the player himself. My reply was in response to the suggestion from Darren rover that Coyle would dispute what Whelan said about them not having made a bid.

Bid/enquiry...Weasel words...

Enquiry: what would you say if we offered tuppence halfpenny?....

Offer, We are offering you two and a half pence.We need an answer by 10.00 am

Paul Hawksbee of Hawksbee and Jacobs made the same point on Talksport today. For the sort of money we would likely be demanding off a Premiership Club (12 -15m ) no - one has so far been prepared to gamble on him.

(Luckily for us)

Hawksbee is about the best and funniest on talksport imo.

Disagree. Ian Rush was a good allround footballer who worked very hard for the team. When Liverpool did not have possession he was a very at "pressing", putting opposing defenders under severe pressure. I remember him making and scoring alot of goals for himself doing that. He was also extremely fast, and I don't think anyone would argue that Rhodes lacks pace. If Rhodes ends up half the player Ian Rush was, he will be doing very well.

The thing I find intruiging about yesterday is why Whelan pitched his alleged offer at only £6m. Does he have insider knowledge that Rovers are in financial trouble and was tempting the owners to sell in view of the fact we overpaid for Rhodes in the first place ?

Ian rush was often referred to as Liverpool's best defender.

As far as Whelan is concerned we bought (some might say overpaid for) Rhodes for 8m on a 4 year contract. That contract now has just 3 years to run so the 6m is simply the price we paid less depreciation. In just 3 years Rhodes can leave for nothing. A completely logical.... albeit unsuccessful bid.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-dave-whelan-evertons-mccarthy-bid-absolute-madness-13090258359

Confirmation that they enquired about Rhodes.

The fact no bid was made is down to:

Possibly they were told no point bidding

Possibly they were told, this is the price, and Wigan backed off

Possibly they didnt have the money

Possibly a deal was agreed, but that was dependant on using the McCarthy money, and that deal happened too late

Possibly another reason

Possibly a mixture of the above reason

you dont know, (and neither do I), but your claiming the first 'possible' is the truth.

Surprised nobody has come up with some conspiracy theory that Venkys started the story about the bid so they could stand firm and look good to the fans.

As far as Whelan is concerned we bought (some might say overpaid for) Rhodes for 8m on a 4 year contract. That contract now has just 3 years to run so the 6m is simply the price we paid less depreciation. In just 3 years Rhodes can leave for nothing. A completely logical.... albeit unsuccessful bid.

Depreciation?! If he had one year left I might agree with you but for now his value has gone up on account of his proven Championship ability. Upgraded from League One proven ability.

Thats as odious as one of those johnny foreigner footballers waiving an imaginary card at the ref to try and get someone sent off. :glare:.

You know the sort... the type everyone despises with a vengeance.

Of course you have never waved the cyber red card and urged the mods to ban fellow posters.

Have you?

what bid was that then ?

Now that would suit some. I think some folks should be allowed a little time to get some stuff of their chests. The time to apply the kabosh would have been during mm's incessant ramblings

Absolutely. To an extent, any forum should be self-policing, and to try and diminish the strength of feeling which MM has generated against himself, by moderating it away, is actually making things worse. He has built the pressure up over 3 months, so has to take the flak now the explosion of anger has been triggered.

Chaddy should hold his head high for a fantastic and forgiving post earlier on, but there are many more positively-minded people who have been driven away from this MB because of the incessant negativity and grinding down under the onslaught of people like MM, and that has damaged what used to be a great forum.

If a few extra folk now come out of the woodwork to deliver their verdict on Mercerman's overall contribution then it's only natural justice and completely deserved. Here's an example as to why --

1/3 2/3 3/3

1 = "Oh Chaddy Chaddy, FFS get a life and a woman" (31st August, Jordan Rhodes)

2 = "Calm down Chadders and get yourself a good woman" (1st June, Season Tickets)

3 = "Sounds to me like he's short of a good woman" (7th January, New Manager)

Now that can't be moderated with the odd hidden post or occassional warning- the mods are dealing with day to day crap. It needs people who notice it to point out to others that this is a form of internet bullying - through implication. It's an attempt to gain an advantage in an argument by constantly making suggestive comments to belittle a fellow poster.

That is why the backlash against Mercerman is so pronounced. He's played using (literally) below the belt shots and now it's time for him to face the consequences, not from the mods but from the community. If that isn't allowed to happen then it's time for this place to close down.

Chaddy should hold his head high for a fantastic and forgiving post earlier on, but there are many more positively-minded people who have been driven away from this MB because of the incessant negativity and grinding down under the onslaught of people like MM, and that has damaged what used to be a great forum.

1 = "Oh Chaddy Chaddy, FFS get a life and a woman" (31st August, Jordan Rhodes)

2 = "Calm down Chadders and get yourself a good woman" (1st June, Season Tickets)

3 = "Sounds to me like he's short of a good woman" (7th January, New Manager)

What used to be a great forum? You've only been knocking around for two years unless you had a previous account under a different name, so what gives you the right to say anything about the policing of this board.?

I actually think people like MM make the board.

What used to be a great forum? You've only been knocking around for two years unless you had a previous account under a different name, so what gives you the right to say anything about the policing of this board.?

I suppose you're right really, every MB needs a few WUMs and Braggarts.

I think that's known as wishful thinking, rather than logic. I'll compromise and call it wishful logic.

Well I sent my daughter and her burnley supporting fiancé instead of us last week and we won. So surely I can't be more of a jinx than that.

Ha! I was right. :)

And good job on the conversion efforts. Rather than pick on Burnley I think the Rovers would be better off sending missionaries to convert them to the one true football club.

Hawksbee is about the best and funniest on talksport imo.

Not much competition though. The concept of talksport is good, the presenters and content of most of the programmes is poor. I gave up on it a long time ago.

So "agenda driven, negative stance rumour nonsense" is what you come to this board for is it?

I can't help being so vociferous about a situation when people seem to think that WUM's do anything other than drive "non-agenda based opinions" away from the board.

So "agenda driven, negative stance rumour nonsense" is what you come to this board for is it?

I can't help being so vociferous about a situation when people seem to think that WUM's do anything other than drive "non-agenda based opinions" away from the board.

Get a life you miserable @#/?

These are both ridiculous comparisons. Neither Derbyshire nor Gallagher showed the kind of potential Rhodes has at any point whilst they were with us and haven't done since.

It's a valid point if you understand it. At Rhodes age, his all round play isn't going to improve much. As for Rhodes and potential, well his ability to put the ball in the net was developed years ago, so I am guessing that you think he's also going to become an all round top striker? If that was the case he wouldn't have moved from Huddersfield to Blackburn.

Archived