BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Feeling cautiously optimistic.

Have kept Hanley and Rhodes (commented earlier in the day and will say no more) which was critical.

Much of the 'deadwood' has been cut adrift but at some cost.

Whether we have enough quality remains to be seen but at least we seem to be heading in a better direction.

All summer you've suggested it is nailed on that one, if not both of Rhodes or Hanley would be sold. Worse off you ridiculed anybody who disagreed, and insinuated that you knew better.

Taking into account it's now clear that you had ZERO FOUNDATION to take such a condescending stance with certain people, I hope your tail is firmly between your legs, and stays there for a long time.

You've come out of this window looking particularly bad, and though I've no doubt you'll try and worm your way around that fact, you really should be seriously embarrassed.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All summer you've suggested it is nailed on that one, if not both of Rhodes or Hanley would be sold. Worse off you ridiculed anybody who disagreed, and insinuated that you knew better.

Taking into account it's now clear that you had ZERO FOUNDATION to take such a condescending stance with certain people, I hope your tail is firmly between your legs, and stays there for a long time.

You've come out of this window looking particularly bad, and though I've no doubt you'll try and worm your way around that fact, you really should be seriously embarrassed.

You forgot about Venkys sale of the club, and the masterpiece he's been working on for Abbey (which has about as much current market value as a Rolf Harris).

Hang your head in shame mercer. You've ridiculed people all summer who said he was staying. You've constantly stated that he would be gone and for nowhere near £8m.

On top of the stick you gave Abbey for questioning your guess that the club would be sold before the season started.

I hope and apology is forthcoming. Otherwise it does seem to indicate that you've been a WUM al summer and posted purely for the reaction.

Glad this has finally been put to bed ,

At no point was a sale on the cards .

A good window for Rovers , back to back wins , a little positivity in the air .

Onwards and upwards

great news that they no bids from PL clubs for Rhodes. Must have interest from some PL clubs but not willing to pay the money that Rovers want.

Its been a very good transfer window for us. alot of the deadwood gone now.

very happy we kept Hanley aswell.

I don't expect an apology for the fact he said he'd go, because even the optimists among us though there was a fair chance he would, given the right offer. However, I do think in his shoes, I'd keep my head down and stick to discussing matches he's seen for a while. I've yet to see this new team of ours play so I'm looking forward to seeing how Rhodes plays when he gets some service as seemed to be the case on Saturday, judging by the highlights I saw

To be fair - he may have had (and still has) foundation for his claims. I think it is time for him to disclose exactly why he thought Rhodes, Hanley etc would go - and how credible his source was. Things change in football - so the fact it hasn't happened doesn't necessarily mean his information was wrong or he is just a WUM.

If this is true about rhodes being "gutted" about the bid from Wigan being turned down if I was GB I'd drop him or at least pull him aside and say if you want a transfer come January you'll have to try a little hard cocker. Disrespectful if he came out with that.

If this is true about rhodes being "gutted" about the bid from Wigan being turned down if I was GB I'd drop him or at least pull him aside and say if you want a transfer come January you'll have to try a little hard cocker. Disrespectful if he came out with that.

It will be utter tosh.

On the subject of Mercerman, why on earth do so many pander to his clear ego massage and attention seeking? Ive had him on ignore (one of very few) since not long after he joined the site as it was clear even then he was just a WUM. The fact you have to still travel through his nonsense because of the quote system is intensely annoying.

Will we be seeing a fulsome and sincere apology from you to Chaddy, to whom you have been patronising and condescending for weeks now because of his completely correct belief that Rhodes was in no danger of going anywhere? No bids from Coyley or Wee Duggie, no fire sales due to unsupportable debts, in fact nothing at all.

Even if there is no apology (and I agree there should be) - the main thing is that MMs credibility is completely shot to bits, so hopefully people will remember this next time he kicks off one of his dog-with-bone campaigns and just ignore it. These episodes has shown a total lack of ability to judge information on its merits and total lack of understanding of how Rovers currently works and how football transfers work. Rovers don't have new owners and Rhodes is still here, MM has lost a bag of cash and gullible doesn't begin to describe it.

Genuinely amazed that no Premier League club tested Rovers resolve by submitting a formal offer.

Absolutely delighted that Rhodes is still a Rover.

We now need to kick on and keep up the momentum that has been gained over the last couple of weeks, slowly a feel good factor is returning. I just hope that Venky's continue to make sensible decisions.

I also think Mercerman owes a lot of people apologies.

You get up the nose of the posters by making negative predictions you have plucked out of thin air. Never balanced suggestions always negative- your comments about Bolton and Wigan where onviously BS from day 1. We all love a snippet- but the problem is that too many (and that includes Kammy) see themselves as ITK's- which is an example of serial attention seeking.

Reporting your guesses is something anyone can do and it irritates.

As I've said before, Mercerman exhibits signs he has a massive drug/alcohol/gambling addiction, so perhaps we should offer support rather than abuse.

About 2 years ago, he predicted a manager to be sacked all the time on inside knowledge, that made a good snippet but did not pan out at the time we were in the topflight still but wasn't a real cause of bad feelings or controversy. Missed a lot of the fire works on this but I'd be embarrassed.

It will be utter tosh.

On the subject of Mercerman, why on earth do so many pander to his clear ego massage and attention seeking? Ive had him on ignore (one of very few) since not long after he joined the site as it was clear even then he was just a WUM. The fact you have to still travel through his nonsense because of the quote system is intensely annoying.

This

I also think Mercerman owes a lot of people apologies.

You get up the nose of the posters by making negative predictions you have plucked out of thin air. Never balanced suggestions always negative- your comments about Bolton and Wigan where onviously BS from day 1. We all love a snippet- but the problem is that too many (and that includes Kammy) see themselves as ITK's- which is an example of serial attention seeking.

Reporting your guesses is something anyone can do and it irritates.

As I've said before, Mercerman exhibits signs he has a massive drug/alcohol/gambling addiction, so perhaps we should offer support rather than abuse.

Very harsh and wrong with regards to Kamy.

In black and white, I was wrong, Rhodes is still here and I am delighted with that.

In shades of grey, a few questions, some already asked by posters, remain unanswered. Why were Bowyer and team on standby all day, is the Daily Mail correct in its article that Rhodes is disappointed not to be joining Wigan and what would have happened if Wigan had got their money from the McCarthy deal six hours earlier ? As to why I took a punt on Bolton and Newcastle as destinations for Rhodes, I have explained over the last 36 hours, so not going into that again.

Our finances do scare me and, IMO, and experience, are akin to trying to square a circle. Let's see what both the holding company and club accounts show (due by end of this month and December respectively).

Ownership hasn't changed, yet. I still think that things are going on behind the scenes.

This is a MB for discussion and the exchange of views and opinions. A bit of banter is good but I think a bit more civility is called for from some parties - I have taken more than a few insults and felt the need to defend myself. I am not a wum and for a poster to suggest that I might have "a massive drug/alcohol/gambling addiction" is just plain ridiculous.

Come back Abbey and give MM the panning that he so richly deserves.

Abbey and I exchanged PM's yesterday on a transfer issue at his instigation - I think he is currently banned ?

Ok, we begged to differ on the ownership thing but I don't think we have the issue that you would clearly like us to have.

Genuinely amazed that no Premier League club tested Rovers resolve by submitting a formal offer.

Absolutely delighted that Rhodes is still a Rover.

We now need to kick on and keep up the momentum that has been gained over the last couple of weeks, slowly a feel good factor is returning. I just hope that Venky's continue to make sensible decisions.

I think January will be more of a testing time than this last transfer window. If Wigan were seriously interested - they now have money, as do Everton. I think a lot will depend on Rovers position in the league come January. If there is a good chance of Rovers being in the play offs come january - then a better chance of keeping Rhodes.

It will always be the case at Rovers. When ever we have a good player - another club will always come along and buy them. All Rovers can do is get the best out of the player whilst they are at the club.

When was the Daily Mail ever right about any football related article? did Rhodes look as though he didn't want to play for rovers and wanted to be playing at Wigan on Saturday? I think if that had been "Rhodes is disappointed not to be playing for Hull, or Newcastle" or something along those lines, then there might be a case, but Wigan? Yes they are well run, but coyle is no great manager, the club have no history and probably not much better future than us unless they get up this season. Besides Rhodes is a sensible lad by all accounts and sulking because you don't get a move isn't going to do him any good. If he genuinely wants out, then he gets his head down and scores as many as possible between now and New year and waits for the calls from Premier league clubs who need a goalscorer. As for what Bowyer and the rest were doing at Ewood yesterday - well they do have jobs to do, and we have other players to bring in, get rid of, and there was always the chance that a club would come in for Rhodes with a bid we couldn't say no to (every player had their price) and we'd have needed to get our act together fairly quickly

I think January will be more of a testing time than this last transfer window. If Wigan were seriously interested - they now have money, as do Everton. I think a lot will depend on Rovers position in the league come January. If there is a good chance of Rovers being in the play offs come january - then a better chance of keeping Rhodes.

It will always be the case at Rovers. When ever we have a good player - another club will always come along and buy them. All Rovers can do is get the best out of the player whilst they are at the club.

Totally agree PAFELL.

It will also be a telling few months behind the scenes as to whether the apparent progress made during the last 8 to 10 weeks gathers momentum and we are no longer viewed as a 'basket case club'. If we are top 6 or 8 at worst come January, which is not inconceivable in this league, I believe Rhodes would take some shifting, unless a top half PL club made a bid. Early days and time will tell.

MM - we will never now with regards if Wigan had got the money earlier, they may not have been willing to stump up the 10-12 mil that some believe would have been required, even then Rovers may not have been willing to sell to a championship team - that's pretty much what they have been consistently saying. There certainly seems little evidence that Rhodes was pushing for a move to Wigan!

I suspect the biggest danger was always a team in the Prem coming in for him not really Wigan.

You have a right to your opinions - I would never be petty or personal with you. Its a message board designed for fans to express an opinion. As long as we express ourselves as opinions and views and not facts then its fine.

In my opinion Wigan are no way near a certainty to go up (they have just lost in my mind their best midfielder). With Europe as a distraction as well that wont help their promotion push.

I genuinely don't rate Coyle that highly either, ok but not great. Certainly has questions marks against him in recent times. Wigan got relegated with in my mind a better manager than they have now. Now if it had been QPR trying to splash the cash on Rhodes then id be more worried, they seem to be building a team capable of getting out of this league (not just quality players but they have players wiling to battle and fight (in one case possibly willing to fight a little too much - Im looking forward to seeing him playing against Evans and Lowe - hope we play both of them against him!)

Lets be blunt if I was Rhodes im not sure id go to Wigan, at the moment there is little doubt Rovers are improving - team spirit seems to be incredibly strong and I suspect they believe even if we don't that they can do well this season. He could easily jump to Wigan and find its Rovers with a better chance of promotion. Id certainly at least wait till January to make a judgement on Wigans chances.

Now if QPR had come in for Rhodes with enough money and hadn't already brought in a striker this season its would not have been a surprise for Rhodes to have gone there. It could be for Rhodes his best chance of playing in the Prem maybe through promotion as a good number of Prem teams might be put off with the asking price on him as he is still not a certainty in the Prem. If he moves to another championship team he needs to be genuinely convinced they are going to go up otherwise its a risk as he already knows he will score goals for us which might attract a Prem team - Bowyer is setting us up to get the best out of him.

As to Bowyer being on standby all day - its transfer deadline day - its not a secret that we have been trying to shift or were willing to listen to offers for some players. If we had shifted Best early in the day there may have been a plan to go and try and get a striker in as replacement for him as his departure would have left us light.

• Backroom

In amongst all the bumpkin posted by you know who, it seems to hav been missed that glen mullan has been shown to be right all along.

When things were looking bad and I was severely worried about JR's exit it was his posts that gave me hope, and that hope has been justified.

Not brown nosing here, just seems fair and balanced whilst everyone is lambasting certain posters for being wrong to also credit those who were proved right.

I'm new round here and has been a good lesson on who might hav info worth listening to. So cheers to glen for his input.

Archived