BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 04/08/2023 at 11:43, chaddyrovers said:

Oh Yes Crawley, England top run scorer in the Ashes and still zero praise or knowledge that you were wrong on him. Quality player that Stokes and McCullum backed every time. well done 

Still only averaging 31 in test cricket. Looks like a decent number 5 or 6 to me. Needs to learn where his off stump is and play a lot straighter. Very good eye however and looks good in full flow.

Line and length bowlers would fancy their chances.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Still only averaging 31 in test cricket. Looks like a decent number 5 or 6 to me. Needs to learn where his off stump is and play a lot straighter. Very good eye however and looks good in full flow.

You can see a batsman in him though I presume OjW?

Some of those shots he played during the Ashes were a joy to behold, absolute class, the lads technically gifted and that is the reason why the management have stuck with him. 

1 hour ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

He's fine on a flat wicket with the ball coming at him fast - the convict bowlers suited him because they gave him "less time to think", as he admitted. Swing through the line and a good eye and a heavy bat does the rest, but not so effective on a seamer under cloudy skies. Let's see how he goes in India - where dodgy techniques tend to get found out.  

2 hours ago, Gav said:

You can see a batsman in him though I presume OjW?

Some of those shots he played during the Ashes were a joy to behold, absolute class, the lads technically gifted and that is the reason why the management have stuck with him. 

Yes of course. I'm just not sure I see an opening batsman. Two or three low scores and he will be back averaging in the 20's and be in line to get dropped. So he needs to crack on.

He suits the latest brand of ccricket. He is fun to watch. I just think an Alderman or a Mcgrath would keep knocking him over early.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

number 5 or 6? really? Always been a top order batsman and I think he is suited to opening and setting the tone for the team with Duckett. 

His average is 31 but that the fact remained he was England's best run scorer in an Ashes. 

9 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

very few of these quality bowlers around now. Teams would pace or spinners on alot of flat wickets

An interesting documentary on Amazon Prime for those fortunate to have it, “The Test” is all about the rebuilding of the Ozzie test team after sandpapergate., yes I know we are supposed to hate them but it is a brilliant behind the scenes documentary. 

On 05/08/2023 at 23:54, onlyonejackwalker said:

I honestly think that using 'average' as a measurement is becoming a thing of the past. There are various other barometers that come into the equation these days. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, K-Hod said:

At Blackpool today to watch our fine county!  Looks like I’ve been fairly lucky with the weather….

image.jpg

Some good performances by a few of Lancs promising youngsters KH.

Balderson, Bell, Hurst in particular. Blatherwick did well yesterday also. 

A good day out. Blackpool Lovely ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, den said:

Still going through planning process I think. I really don’t understand why they’re building it it where it is.

Always used to think of Manchester as the capitol of Lancashire but Preston seems to be taking over now after local government organisation. Maybe this is part of it?

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, den said:

Some good performances by a few of Lancs promising youngsters KH.

Balderson, Bell, Hurst in particular. Blatherwick did well yesterday also. 

A good day out. Blackpool Lovely ground.

100%, we batted very well tbh! A comprehensive win by 120 runs or so and a sun kissed day- a good time was had by all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Always used to think of Manchester as the capitol of Lancashire but Preston seems to be taking over now after local government organisation. Maybe this is part of it?

The new ground will only be about two miles from me 47er, so personally that’s great. It’s a few miles outside Preston.

For people not living in the area it’s not easily accessible though. Lostock hall station is fairly close but it’s on the east Lancs line, not the main line. There’s Leyland station which is a fair walk especially for the elderly who make up the majority of county championship fans. There are buses but not an ideal way to get from Leyland station to Farington for a cricket match.

On the plus side there is motorway access. There will need to be enough on site parking Though. 

Edited by den

On 10/08/2023 at 12:52, den said:

The new ground will only be about two miles from me 47er, so personally that’s great. It’s a few miles outside Preston.

For people not living in the area it’s not easily accessible though. Lostock hall station is fairly close but it’s on the east Lancs line, not the main line. There’s Leyland station which is a fair walk especially for the elderly who make up the majority of county championship fans. There are buses but not an ideal way to get from Leyland station to Farington for a cricket match.

On the plus side there is motorway access. There will need to be enough on site parking Though. 

Firstly Farington is much much nearer the centre of Lancashire than Old Trafford, especially if you’re considering the old county boundaries that the county game is based on. In fact for quite a bit of old Lancashire Sedbergh is closer than Old Trafford.

Secondly Farington won’t be much less convenient than Old Trafford for many in Lancashire to get to by public transport. The 111 bus runs from Preston to Leyland every 12 minutes passing Preston, Lostock and Leyland stations. I’m off to Old Trafford tomorrow for the Hampshire game and I will need a bus to Preston, train to Manchester and tram to Old Trafford to get there.

I’m also about 2 miles from the new ground, on the 111 bus route!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Firstly Farington is much much nearer the centre of Lancashire than Old Trafford, especially if you’re considering the old county boundaries that the county game is based on. In fact for quite a bit of old Lancashire Sedbergh is closer than Old Trafford.

Secondly Farington won’t be much less convenient than Old Trafford for many in Lancashire to get to by public transport. The 111 bus runs from Preston to Leyland every 12 minutes passing Preston, Lostock and Leyland stations. I’m off to Old Trafford tomorrow for the Hampshire game and I will need a bus to Preston, train to Manchester and tram to Old Trafford to get there.

Might see you there then👍🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, only2garners said:

I still think den has a point.

I welcome the new location, but its not really served by major transport links other than the car from what I can see, it does seem to be a strange decision to build on that site, but from a local fan point of view its great.

17 hours ago, Gav said:

Whisper it…. but the rumours on here of Archers demise have been greatly exaggerated!

He could be fit for World Cup, fingers crossed! 

He was a young hopeful with the world at his feet but he's now 30 Gav. Whichever way it goes he will never fulfill his undoubted potential. Shame.

• Like 1