BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carlisle United, Away, League Cup

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Kane the new Vratty Gresko? Need Henley to return so that he's kept on his toes.

Saturday is a big big game.

I think Forest and their fans will be feeling very confident after tonight's result, but as most of the first team were not really involved

they could be in for a shock on Saturday, along with quite a few others in the football world who seem to have written Rovers off

already this season.

Biggest disappointment is Cairney being banned, but who knows who we bring in before w/end.

Just to add to comments on the ref, absolutely diabolical. Gives them a free kick for a perfectly fine challenge, seconds later ignores a blatant foul on our guy, then books Cairney for complaining. Spends the rest of the game not giving us a single decision, tolerating all manner of verbals and fouls from Carlisle, and then wakes up again to send Cairney off. Biggest homer I've seen in a long time. Fat, lardy waste of space.

Learned plenty from tonight.

Good introduction to English football for Songo'o, now has a good idea of what is expected of him in a less important competitive game.

Dunn is fit for once.

Givet needs to leave.

Morris need to go out on loan, league 1 would suit him.

Olsson should move to left back, his pace would be useful there, it's not going forward.

We need to sign Cairney if possible. Seen enough already.

King needs to be coached as a forward. I remember Henry having similar issues as a youngster before Wenger decided to pick a position for him and throw him up top. Let's not write him off after his first start as a striker for us just yet eh? But yes, frustrating.

We have a better tempo under Bowyer, play quicker, pass better, look fitter. These things will bring results.

We need to take our chances, hope this doesn't become a theme of our season to come.

Finally, we are a better team than last season.

I don't understand the view this result doesn't matter. Concentrating on the league is hardly an excuse because we won't be challenging for promotion. I for one am disappointed we have thrown away the chance of a cup run in the first week of August. Fixture congestion can be tough.

Did GB learn anything? Well we need to do the dusting and our reserve team isn't good enough to beat a Division 1 side.

Protecting the players for Saturday is of course sound. It's been a long season, the guys have played a match and they're tired, we need to keep them fresh, playing three games a week, week after week can be exhausting.

Must be exhausting carrying all that cash to the bank every week

i only heard on rovers radio, but was Kane that bad or did he just get left covering 2-3 players by King which was what was happening at Derby? as King gave him no protection at all.

King himself reminds me of Adebayor (not from a scoring pov sadly) in that when on loan he plays well to earn the contract, but once the inks dry he's put his feet up and switched off.

I would drop him or give him a wake up call that he still needs to perform in order to keep that contract and his place in the team.

Some interesting attitudes about fan expectations on here, personally i want us to go out and TRY to win every game, and whilst we may not win everytime, i would be happy knowing we at least tried our best to try and win it.

Oddly enough in spite of the result in patches we played much better football than ever did under kean, berg, Appleton so was encouraged by that and Taylor looked a useful player.

However, the problem remains that we've been marginally the better side vs derby and Carlisle but not managed to win so if on the theory a good team wins when play badly then we are the reverse.

I also worry what happens when get outplayed will we just capitulate. Still think if Rhodes stays mid table as a maximum if he goes league one. Another defeat off a division 3 team in first round of league cup and if you add a few "meaningless" friendly defeats off teams from that division over last couple of years then that's looking to be our level.

For this season we've a fighting chance at least but after that... well it could be like the 70's. That's what i mean there'll be bigger disappointments than an early round league cup defeat away at Carlisle. If you remember the 80's you'll remember us being knocked out by Brentford et al so why go overboard with this one ?

Nobodies going overboard really. Just disappointed to be dumped out by a lower league side on the back of a 5-1 battering.

MOST of us want to TRY to win every game. The excuse of too many fixtures and the crazy policy of resting players is moot as the league has had two cups and 92 members for 50 years. Must be because modern footballers are weaker than their predecessors

Entertaining game, but not happy with the outcome. Rovers should easily have wrapped up the game in the second half but a really poor penalty from Dunn (Why is he allowed to take pens? Must have the poorest record in profesional football) and King failed dribble in his own box costs ut. Carlisle had a big target man of 19 year that bullied the whole defence throughout the game. They also had a decent winger in Adoo, but I think they were made better by a poor defensive display.

Eastwood: Shaky and poor kicking. A couple of great saves showed he is not completely useless.

Kane: Poor again. Some good runs forward, but concentration and positioning is lacking. Needs improvement. Had Taylor in front of him so couldn't blame not getting help either.

Songo'o: Looked like Kolo Toure, but played like Mokoena. Hard to make a judgement so early would probably benefitted from playing with Dann or Hanley.

Givet: Awful. Supposed to be the leader in the defence, but worst of the bunch. Too slow and too small to win a header.

Morris: Not a defender, but gave his best. Very willing going forward.

Taylor: Good game. Good work rate, good delivery, decent in the air as well. Will be an important player this year.

Marrow: Injured.

Lowe: Suprinsingly good. Spread the ball well and seem to function with Cairney.

Cairney: Great passer, creative and good set pieces. Showed qualities we're lacking. Still unsure how he functions in a game we're not dominating but looking forward to see more of him.

Olsson: Average.

Dunn: Some decent moves, but a really poor penaltty again. Decent option as squad player, but not a starter.

King: Formula one car without a driver. No end product and at fault for at least one goal. Still has something special, but I fear it can't be coached like Henry.

Judge: Another fan favourite. Has energy and quality. Well taken goal.

I can understand Premier League clubs sending a "squad" team for such a match as the money involved in retaining Premier League status is far more important to the long term future of any club. However, when Championship sides like the Rovers - who are likely to be mid-table at best - do the same it really does take some understanding. One might have thought that the possibility of a "Cup run" might have been a welcome distraction from the ups and downs of mid-table Championship football.

What this game proved was the Rovers may have a strong squad in terms of numbers but it is totally bereft of quality in depth.

A final point - the Rovers had a good following at Carlisle tonight and I'm sure that many will have had to take time off work to get there and, of course, there are the costs involved. The very least that those of us who travelled should expect is for the club to turn out a team good enough to see off Carlisle who, lets not forget, were hammered at home by Leyton Orient on Saturday. The next time the Rovers are drawn at home in a Cup competition they can't really complain if they get the "5,000" who turned up against Bristol City last season in the FA Cup. If you treat your customers with contempt very soon those customers will stop coming. Rant over!

I can understand Premier League clubs sending a "squad" team for such a match as the money involved in retaining Premier League status is far more important to the long term future of any club. However, when Championship sides like the Rovers - who are likely to be mid-table at best - do the same it really does take some understanding. One might have thought that the possibility of a "Cup run" might have been a welcome distraction from the ups and downs of mid-table Championship football.

What this game proved was the Rovers may have a strong squad in terms of numbers but it is totally bereft of quality in depth.

A final point - the Rovers had a good following at Carlisle tonight and I'm sure that many will have had to take time off work to get there and, of course, there are the costs involved. The very least that those of us who travelled should expect is for the club to turn out a team good enough to see off Carlisle who, lets not forget, were hammered at home by Leyton Orient on Saturday. The next time the Rovers are drawn at home in a Cup competition they can't really complain if they get the "5,000" who turned up against Bristol City last season in the FA Cup. If you treat your customers with contempt very soon those customers will stop coming. Rant over!

Spot on. Also add in a cup run would bring in cash- something the club desperately needs. Granted it's not masses, but a bit of money for each round through, and perhaps a TV appearance adding to the coffers as well. That was something the club could ill afford to miss out on. Added to which as Parson said the cup run would really have encouraged a fan base with fragile confidence in the team.

Am pretty depressed with the result. Whilst very few games are 100% good or bad, this one had a much more bad than good. Great that players impressed, but the caution is: this is Carlisle we're playing! A mid table league 1 team. Amoo who people rave about was unwanted by Tranmere, the defence had played together for all of 1 other competitive game, Beck (who admittedly seems to have thrived on extra responsibility and a pre-season under his belt) just looked promising in league 1, rather than a dominating force - which asks questions of our centre backs. For our squad not to be able to beat them - a team made up of players that we are wanting to contribute significantly towards our season - is very worrying indeed.

Most gutting: King. Think he really has something to offer with his pace, and like Roberts will get chances only he can cause of how he plays - and then fluff them. Liability defensively though. Looks more and more like a good impact sub by the day, Not sure he can be relied upon as a wide mid to a) get in enough good deliveries or B) do his defensive duties properly. A move to striker is a good idea, but wouldn't be ahead of Rhodes and Rochina imo, and will see about Best.

Almost as gutting: Givet - it really seems as although he's very talented he's in strop mode. Shame as I'd not really seen that from him on the pitch till tonight. But seemed like he was playing at only 50% of his game which is not good enough.

Pretty disappointing: Morris, we know Olsson is gash but had hoped that Morris as our back up left back would show he could at least keep up with a league 1 attack. Looking increasingly like he is not up to the cut at left back. Hope Kilgallon gets fit soon. Loosing Cairney is a blow too, as he looked a tidy player.

Will be interesting to see if we can pick ourselves up after that defeat. Losing Marrow and Cairney means again with our injuries we look short in centre mid. Fel this could have a real impact on what should be a tight game with Forest.

Just to add to comments on the ref, absolutely diabolical. Gives them a free kick for a perfectly fine challenge, seconds later ignores a blatant foul on our guy, then books Cairney for complaining. Spends the rest of the game not giving us a single decision, tolerating all manner of verbals and fouls from Carlisle, and then wakes up again to send Cairney off. Biggest homer I've seen in a long time. Fat, lardy waste of space.

Aye. He did look like he'd be better stood outside Mr. Butch.

Dont think we got maby overpaid mercenaries left...besides Givet, thinkEastwood Morris ollson jus cum in the useless category

I don't think our players want to play for the club anymore, we were even in the ascendancy on pens and blew it .

Always enjoy your posts Parson, actually one of the few whose 'longer posts' I actually bother to read.

I do however take slight issue with the above point. My first point would be that surely any fan traveling to a League Cup first round should be prepared to see an under-strength side? With a big game coming up on Saturday I never expected GB to pick his absolute strongest side.

My second point is that in reality I'm almost certain GB would have expected that starting 11 to beat Carlisle. The likes of Taylor, Dunn, Cairney, Olsson, King, Marrow, Kane, Givet - would all probably be contenders for the starting 11 on Saturday, or at least the 18 man squad. Songo'o is a new signing and so the fans would have been happy to see him play.

I really think you have done GB a little bit of a dis-service there. That side should have won the game comfortably and after 70minutes it looked like they would until that berk King tried dribbling out of his own box (what a clown he is). We then re-took the lead only to be reduced to 10 men. After 110minutes, losing a man is a catastrophe - you will of course understand the closing down and hard work necessary to cover that one man.

They then go on to score a very neat goal, albeit Kane got caught in no-mans land, and all of a sudden we're out on penalties.

I think any fan that went last night could not have expected any more than the side that played, and that they actually saw a very enjoyable, competitive game. If you were disappointed in individual performances then so be it, but I'm certain that GB expected that starting 11, plus Rhodes and Judge, to have had enough quality to beat Carlisle.

I don't think our players want to play for the club anymore, we were even in the ascendancy on pens and blew it .

What a load of drivel. Taylor had run himself into the ground, scored a goal and been man of the match for 120 minutes and he doesn't want to play for club anymore because he missed a penalty? Morris the same. He hardly strolled up to the ball and pussy-footed it did he.

The Pen I'm mad at was that abomination taken by everyone's local hero. I've never been confident with him taking penalties and last night was just about the worst I have ever seen.

On of the 1000 fans who ventured North last night along with Preston Blue.

We were never going to win on the penalty lottery.

Rovers at time played some good stuff, some bad stuff, some truly awful stuff and then some better stuff. It was a mixed old bag of a match.

I have read a number of interesting points and for what its worth heres mine.

Morris is NOT a left back.

Dunn looks fitter than ever however he took a lazy penalty that ultimately played the biggest part of our downfall.

Olsson was poor especially against players of Carliles level.

Givet has his head elsewhere.

Cairney looked a class apart.

Still no service to Rhodes ( I know we were on 10 men but still he never got a sniff).

Kane had little support in front of him caused by Taylors marauding. Together they caused havoc both in carlisles defence and ours !

Songo looked ok and settled well.

King is the rolls Royce who doesn't know how to be driven correctly. His speed is Ferrari like but his finishing is fiat style !

Rovers tried the Barca route without a forward up front. It wont work unless you have quality on the ball. Rovers learned last night that they need a link player behind the forward if they play 1 up front.

If Olsson continues to play it should be as a left back.

Other than that, kean ground but a good meat and tata pie !"

*** Forgot to mention the moronic element following Rovers who set the flare off. We don't want you following our team you are a complete set of KEANS***

One to forget for me, 8 changes highlights the fact that Bowyer either didn't care of the competition. The substitutions show that too, Judge on a little earlier or Rhodes & Best on could have won it late on.

I think 11 v 11 we would of won the game in ET.

Time will tell if Bowyer was correct to dismiss this game, if we are mixing with the play-off's come the tail end of the season it could be a great decision.

Looking forward to Saturday will the 'first' team, if we lose I dread to think what will happen on this, often bipolar, forum.

Lots of positives last night. I was very impressed with our passing, movement and general attacking play. Really liking Bowyer's style of football. Thankfully, we have no more hoofball.

Cairney, Taylor and Dunn were our 3 best players. Cairney was man of the match for me. Exactly the player we have been missing for many years. Hope we can sign this lad up permanently in Jan. Top player.

Also thought Morris was very impressive throughout. Lowe was good when he came on.

The central defence looked weak, barely won a header against Beck.

Lacked a cutting edge up front and need to sign another striker to cover for DJ and Rochina injuries. King is not the answer. King showede flashes of ability but loses the ball too often and doesn't have any end product. Also cost us two goals - was supposed to be marking Amoo for the first goal and did a silly dribble for the second goal.

Always enjoy your posts Parson, actually one of the few whose 'longer posts' I actually bother to read.

I do however take slight issue with the above point. My first point would be that surely any fan traveling to a League Cup first round should be prepared to see an under-strength side? With a big game coming up on Saturday I never expected GB to pick his absolute strongest side.

My second point is that in reality I'm almost certain GB would have expected that starting 11 to beat Carlisle. The likes of Taylor, Dunn, Cairney, Olsson, King, Marrow, Kane, Givet - would all probably be contenders for the starting 11 on Saturday, or at least the 18 man squad. Songo'o is a new signing and so the fans would have been happy to see him play.

I really think you have done GB a little bit of a dis-service there. That side should have won the game comfortably and after 70minutes it looked like they would until that berk King tried dribbling out of his own box (what a clown he is). We then re-took the lead only to be reduced to 10 men. After 110minutes, losing a man is a catastrophe - you will of course understand the closing down and hard work necessary to cover that one man.

They then go on to score a very neat goal, albeit Kane got caught in no-mans land, and all of a sudden we're out on penalties.

I think any fan that went last night could not have expected any more than the side that played, and that they actually saw a very enjoyable, competitive game. If you were disappointed in individual performances then so be it, but I'm certain that GB expected that starting 11, plus Rhodes and Judge, to have had enough quality to beat Carlisle.

I think you are right in that GB should have expected a team made up of the first team squad to be able to beat Carlisle. However, as we saw in pre-season, Crewe, Rochdale and Preston all caused us problems and it is clear that many of our "squad" players are simply not that good. If we had a squad capable of challenging for promotion you might just be able to understand why the Cups are being ignored, but does anyone seriously believe that this squad is a promotion chasing one? Personally, if Gary can halt the slide and get us into a respectable mid-table position he will have done exceptionally well with what he has to work with at the moment.

New team, new manager, new approach. We have a very young squad and they will make mistakes this season and I think a lot of patience will be required as in think we will be get mixed results. Great one week and poor the next. I genuinely feel that if we can get these players to gel as a unit we can see a play off push in the second half of the season.

Three years of rubbish will take a little while longer than two games to eradicate.

Archived