BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster vs Rovers

Extremely depressing. To put this into perspective we were playing DONCASTER who are awful and they could have won 3 or 4 nil. We created very little, can't defend set pieces, and have no plan B apart from lump it up to Best.

I'm afraid I can already predict the pattern of our matches this season -

Attack: Rovers play some nice passing football around the midfield and defence but lose it as soon as it gets to a dangerous area.

Defence: Rovers concede a set piece and concede.

Can't blame this on Bowyer yet. Still early days and a lot of rebuilding work to do. I am really fearful about this season tho. There are worrying signs that we are gonna struggle big time. We are a million miles from even a mid table team at the moment.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murphy , Dann and Goodwillie are 3 of the worst players I have seen in a blue n white shirt !

And I can remember the early 70s

I agree, but the point I'm making is they've been rubbish because they haven't been used correctly and they haven't been happy. Which is down to the manager and the conditions the owners have created at the club. If Allardyce had signed Murphy or Dann with John Williams steering a steady ship, don't you think they'd have performed much better for us? Murphy was excellent throughout his career before coming here (if a bit of a prat in my opinion), and Dann showed he could do it in the PL with Birmingham. Ok only for one season, but its much better credentials than any of our other centre-half options.

Similar situation with Goodwillie, he was used terribly during his time here. Kean gave him one run in the team, he scored a couple of goals, and was then left out for months. Bowyer was the next manager to show a bit of faith in him and he did a good job at the end of last season. With a good manager who knew how to develop him, make him feel wanted, and give him a settled position instead of keep switching him between up front and right wing, he'd have done a lot better too.

The difference between these players and the ones we've got now (in my opinion), is you probably can't get any more out of the players we've got now, because they're just not very good. The new signings have never played or starred at levels that the guys they've replaced had, and there's no evidence and very little indication that they can.

• Backroom

Can't blame this on Bowyer yet. Still early days and a lot of rebuilding work to do. I am really fearful about this season tho. There are worrying signs that we are gonna struggle big time. We are a million miles from even a mid table team at the moment.

Your opinion has changed pretty quickly.

Extremely depressing. To put this into perspective we were playing DONCASTER who are awful and they could have won 3 or 4 nil. We created very little, can't defend set pieces, and have no plan B apart from lump it up to Best.

I'm afraid I can already predict the pattern of our matches this season -

Attack: Rovers play some nice passing football around the midfield and defence but lose it as soon as it gets to a dangerous area.

Defence: Rovers concede a set piece and concede.

Hold on a second.

Out of the team that started tonight, Kane, Spurr, Taylor, Cairney & Judge were all his signings !

If that is not Bowyer's fault..........................

Honeymoon period over for GB... Poor team selection and tactics... 3 losses out of 4....

Kean... Poor Kicking but good overall

Kane .... Not for me ... Full of mistakes and too small & lightweight......

Dann..... Head is elsewhere ...hope he finds himself there in the next 2 weeks

Lowe .... Managers Pet and will be his downfall ..GB has seen him for over 10 years now and he still sees something in him nobody else does..

Best ...gives too many free kicks away and thinks he's better then he actually is.....

One last thing on GB why take off a attacking Midfeilder Crainy/Dunn off when Evens for Lowe was the more sensible move....

Your opinion has changed pretty quickly.

We played well at Derby, matched forest but tonight was absolutely woeful. My fear is that we can't defend set pieces and can't score goals.

Games change opinions and getting battered by Doncaster certainly changes my opinion.

Hold on a second.

Out of the team that started tonight, Kane, Spurr, Taylor, Cairney & Judge were all his signings !

If that is not Bowyer's fault..........................

Think he made some decent signings with the money available and needs time to get them to gel. Personally, I don't think he'll get that time.

Despite the signings, if we can't defend set pieces and can't score goals then he's not gonna last very long.

We played well at Derby, matched forest but tonight was absolutely woeful. My fear is that we can't defend set pieces and can't score goals.

Games change opinions and getting battered by Doncaster certainly changes my opinion.

Think he made some decent signings with the money available and needs time to get them to gel. Personally, I don't think he'll get that time.

Despite the signings, if we can't defend set pieces and can't score goals then he's not gonna last very long.

Is Craig Short the natural successor to Nigel Winterburn ?

Bring back Ince I say - doing a cracking job at Blackpool.

Is Craig Short the natural successor to Nigel Winterburn ?

Bring back Ince I say - doing a cracking job at Blackpool.

Blackpool comfortably beat Doncaster. I don't rate Blackpool. Doncaster easily beat us.

The commentators on radio rovers said we were unlucky to be undone by a freak goal and a set piece. I don't subscribe to that view. Woeful defending set pieces all game, Donny sounded like they missed a couple of sitters, and it was another gk error for their second.

There really is no comfort.

Extracts from report on club site.

Rovers' first visit to the Keepmoat Stadium ended in a disappointing 2-0 defeat.
An entertaining match in which both teams had a host chances was settled by the side who took theirs - Doncaster Rovers.
The second half saw Gary Bowyer's side lay siege to the Doncaster goal but the home side withstood the pressure and scored an unlikely second when Husband's cross from the left flew high into the net.
We really do have problems - did GB write that ?

He's not a hard-nut.

More likely to be giving them a wet towelling, little bit of a trim, bit of bryllcreem and some quiffing up.

We'll take the positives, 1 point from 9 is better than none, onwards and upwards, our owners are right behind us and believe that promotion is a certainty. Thank you.

Archived