BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England v Scotland

What did everyone think of the game last night? Personally I saw it as England's worst ever team playing Scotland's worst ever team with England being the better side as expected. I know loads of people who went down but all went for the day out and the banter rather than the game itself which was seen as a bit of a distraction really.

Still I think it was good to see players actually showing some attitude and commitment in an international game and for that alone it was a wothwhile exercise. Must be better for up and coming players to play in a game with some atmosphere and passion rather than the usual bland, dull games you get. I very rarley watch England games but enjoyed it last night and it created some good laughs at work up here as well which is good.

Not sure that playing Wales and N Ireland regularly has much benefit but I would love to see this fixture played regularly, maybe every 2 years or so. What about in non-major Championship summers? Not that that effects Scotland nowadays of course.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

England, while the better side by default these days vs Scotland, were in danger of being overrun by a very industrious Scottish side.

Rooney in Hanley's arse pocket was nice to see :)

I like the idea of bringing back the Home Championships :)

Have taken no interest in the national side for many years now, with players like Cole, Lampard, Terry etc I just couldn't bring myself to back those sorts of players, who in reality are out for themselves and couldn't care less about playing for England, just my opinion of course.

One thing that struck me about last night was the terrible atmosphere from the England fans, the place seemed silent from the home fans perspective and the Scotts easily drowned them out. I was at the last game at Wembley when Scotland came down and it was a different story, although i concede it was a competitive match. Had tickets for the game at Hampden also when Scholes scored and we won 2-0, but gave them away :wacko: massive regret :(

England are a very poor side these days, the sooner we realise this as a nation the better, but the FA seem more concerned with making money than mending the national team, so its a long road to recovery.

I enjoyed the match which was won by a far superior England side. The decline of Scottish football is alarming or hilarious, depending on your point of view. England however continue to give easy goals away and if you let the inept Kenny Miller score you know your defence has problems. Cahill is not a top-class centre half in my view.

The atmosphere last night was reminiscent of England matches at Wembley in the 1970s and 80s when the ground was packed to its 100,000 rafters and friendly matches meant something to both the players and the crowd. Unfortunately the appalling and boring Champions League has far greater importance now than international friendly matches and, some would say, even the World Cup.

And no, I don't want to see a return of the Home internationals. Let's keep the Tartan hordes behind the wall for another 13 years at least.

The atmosphere last night was reminiscent of England matches at Wembley in the 1970s and 80s when the ground was packed to its 100,000 rafters and friendly matches meant something to both the players and the crowd.

Your hearing aid must be on the blink, although with the Scotts drowning out the English I guess it was reminiscent of the games between the two from the 70's!

I know it's always been the "in thing" to slag off the national team, but there are some very good players in there, and they should be destroying teams like Scotland at home. Very worried with the two centre halfs, hope Moyes gives Jones a season in this position.

Few of us went yest. Pretty poor England team in fact we were pondering if England were a prem league team where they'd come and no one could see them finishing higher than 7th with an absolute minimum of Man U, man city, chelski, arsenal, spurs, Everton ahead of them. As for Scotland from what I saw they'd struggle to get our of the championship which makes our struggle against them quite worrying long term.

Also petty much the only atmosphere was created by Scotland fans. Wembley has basically sold out to women, children and prawn sandwich eaters. Not saying that's a bad thing but there'll never be a good atmosphere from the home fans. I still maintain English away fans are the best in terms of travelling numbers and noise in a way a lot like man Utd who are really poor at old trafford but their away fans prob biggest and loudest in the country.

Also petty much the only atmosphere was created by Scotland fans. Wembley has basically sold out to women, children and prawn sandwich eaters. Not saying that's a bad thing but there'll never be a good atmosphere from the home fans. I still maintain English away fans are the best in terms of travelling numbers and noise in a way a lot like man Utd who are really poor at old trafford but their away fans prob biggest and loudest in the country.

Sums things up for me, spot on Matt.

England are a very poor side these days, the sooner we realise this as a nation the better, but the FA seem more concerned with making money than mending the national team, so its a long road to recovery.

Indeed. Last night saw the 'train' as weak as I can rem. An ordinary goalkeeper, 2 bog standard centre halves, an uninspiring midfield and Mu's 4th choice striker alongside a very much past his best Shrek up top. The only player who might get close to a WC semi-final quality team would be Walcott. Best argument ever for bringing back the home internationals cos it's the only thing we will have a reasonable chance of winning.

The first England match I've seen for a few years as I've just lost interest in the national side, they just disappoint all the time. Used to have a passion for the national side as well.

Was a decent enough game, I'd like to see Jones play regularly at centre half.

I wouldn't have watched it if Hanley wasn't playing though.

Agree with you jim that Cahill isn't good enough, Jones and Jagielka should be first choice.

The fact that that dreadful mauler Ryan Shawcross is in possession of an England cap says it all about the choice available. Last night the best ch on the pitch by a mile was Hanley and we know full well that he is no Franz Beckenbaur. Many seem to want Phil Jones to play centre half but he like Wellbeck isn't even first choice CH at his own club.

Just goes to show that money is not the answer, neither are the relatively modern measures to help the international team by going down to 38 matches in the top div and cancelling fixtures on the saturday because on an international on Wed. It's all just excuses dreamt up by the press and media and of course the good old gin swilling FA apologists.

I read Stanley Matthews autobiography, "The Way It Was", back then, those Internationals were everything, vs. the home countries but a lot of the others as well. That was a real golden age.

Historically, there was a lot of wins on both sides of England/Scotland: http://eloratings.net/Scotland.htm

I tend to hope all of the home countries do well unless it would interfere with another home country advancing which I readily can't think of happening except one time. Even then, I can't remember all of the circumstances.

And the war time friendlies, that's pretty interesting too, England polished off Wales at the Molineaux during World War II. A lot of history.

It's also brought up a lot of times I believe that the Champions League winners of the old Liverpool and Forest clubs had quite a few Scots and back then, the clubs really did reflect the country they were from much more.

Scotland used to have a very good team. Past Scotland teams from the 70s/80s would absolutely wipe the floor with anything we have mustered up recently.

Scotland used to have a very good team. Past Scotland teams from the 70s/80s would absolutely wipe the floor with anything we have mustered up recently.

Yeah, there were players in the sixties who hardly got a cap that would be permanent fixtures now. I'm thinking about the like of Paddy Crerand and Frank McKlintock. Top players in the day but couldn't get past the likes of Dave McKay and Jim Baxter.

The fact that that dreadful mauler Ryan Shawcross is in possession of an England cap says it all about the choice available. Last night the best ch on the pitch by a mile was Hanley and we know full well that he is no Franz Beckenbaur. Many seem to want Phil Jones to play centre half but he like Wellbeck isn't even first choice CH at his own club.

Just goes to show that money is not the answer, neither are the relatively modern measures to help the international team by going down to 38 matches in the top div and cancelling fixtures on the saturday because on an international on Wed. It's all just excuses dreamt up by the press and media and of course the good old gin swilling FA apologists.

Such a decline from a few years ago. Around 2002-2004 Englands strength in depth at centre back was ridiculous. Whilst everyone harped on about Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and Owen, our defenders were genuinely the envy of the world. The likes of Cahill would do well to get a 'B' cap back then.

One thing which seemed to escape everyone iirc was the fact that when Walcott scored, Scotland were down to 10 men. The player missing? Grant Hanley, patching up his massive heed.

If you take that into account, our performance was even worse, although Lambert missed an absolute sitter near the end.

England are rank rotten, they try the tikka-takka passing style that spain use but they aint good enough to pull it off, Scotland are even worse, a match between two pub teams, why oh why does hodgson keep giving milner game time? he useless. I honestly don't even think we will qualify, and gerrard, stop trying the Hollywood balls, they never come off

Indeed. Last night saw the 'train' as weak as I can rem. An ordinary goalkeeper, 2 bog standard centre halves, an uninspiring midfield and Mu's 4th choice striker alongside a very much past his best Shrek up top. The only player who might get close to a WC semi-final quality team would be Walcott. Best argument ever for bringing back the home internationals cos it's the only thing we will have a reasonable chance of winning.

Todays respective performances by RVP, Wellbeck and sub Rooney in Swansea v Man Utd illustrated exactly what we are up against in trying to compete with the top nations at international level. Men v boys imo.

Guest Norbert

Both teams looked unable to do anything good in the world game, but the match was entertaining enough. I was expecting a very dull, half-arsed performance like whenever England play some East European, former Communits republic.

Todays respective performances by RVP, Wellbeck and sub Rooney in Swansea v Man Utd illustrated exactly what we are up against in trying to compete with the top nations at international level. Men v boys imo.

No, that game showed that as per, you were talking nonsense. Nice try with the attempted save of face before somebody else picked that crap apart.

Archived