SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Decline Must End

neekoy

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad draw for England.... Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

Also a bad draw for England fans going to Manaus, where they don't think the stadium will be ready!

Italy will pass England to death and win, Uruguay will tear them apart.

IMO, the FA and the politicians deserve that draw,for allowing a bunch of Chicken farmers from the 3rd world to buy

an ancient institution like BRFC with no questions asked.

The trouble with the people who run this country, everything is for sale, regardless of it's value historically or to the local community.

We would be better if we brought in a few Germans to run our FA, come to think of it, how about bringing some in to run the country

while they're at it !

We would be better if we brought in a few Germans to run our FA, come to think of it, how about bringing some in to run the country

while they're at it !

We damned near did! Interesting to speculate how events would have turned out if Jerry had come over the water straight away and not stood gawping at us over the Channel.

• Backroom

As far as the English old guard go, the only men I'd keep in are Ashley Cole and Michael Carrick. Carrick can sit back and 'do a Tugay' while the young guns bomb on.

Welbeck, Townsend and Walcott as the 3 behind a targetman Rooney would be my bet. Carrick sat in front of defence (unless a midfield hardman emerges). Cahill, Jones and Smalling as a back 3 with Baines and Walker as wing-backs.

As far as the English old guard go, the only men I'd keep in are Ashley Cole and Michael Carrick. Carrick can sit back and 'do a Tugay' while the young guns bomb on.

Welbeck, Townsend and Walcott as the 3 behind a targetman Rooney would be my bet. Carrick sat in front of defence (unless a midfield hardman emerges). Cahill, Jones and Smalling as a back 3 with Baines and Walker as wing-backs.

Grief !!!!!

If Carrick ever dreams of doing a Tugay he should wake up and apologise!

It's all about opinions of course but as far as your last sentence Mike I've already said that Jones is the deep midfielder that you crave, he is not (as yet) international CH material. Any invention can come from the likes of Wilshire, Barclay, Walcott and Townsend. Rooney has to play CF as best he can with Sturridge on the bench and Wellbeck at some far flung holiday destination.

Welbeck? Not sure about that.

I would play either:

Carrick

Gerrard Wilshire

Walcott Rooney Townsend

In a 4-3-3 against the big teams

Or:

Carrick Wilshire

Walcott Rooney Ox

Sturridge

4-2-3-1 v smaller teams

• 2 months later...

I'm really struggling to think of what my England team would be.

If Rooney and Sturridge have to play, then is that as a front two, or Sturridge out wide as part of a three?

People seem to think Gerrard can play this deeper role like he did well against Arsenal but then forgetting he was dreadful in that role two weeks earlier against Villa.

My main issue is the lack of a natural ball winner in the middle. Carrick and Wilshere are this new breed of CM that can only play in a three as they're not either creative or defensive enough to play that role alone. I don't think the two of them plus Gerrard is defensive enough against the better teams. Which will now include Uruguay and possibly even Chile due to it being in South America.

I'd have Jones or Barry in there personally, with Carrick and Gerrard.

Hart, Forster, Foster

Johnson, Walker, Jagielka, Lescott, Cahill, Cole, Baines

Jones, Barry, Carrick, Henderson, Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rooney, Sturridge, Carroll, Rodriguez

That's 23.

Carroll for a plan B, Henderson over Wilshere who flatters to deceive imo, Rodriguez as he can also play out wide.

The wide men are open to debate, Well mainly Sterling, I'd have the other two for sure. Either Sterling, Adam Johnson, Llanana or whoever else is on form.

Success breeding success here then :wacko: .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26384056

Makes you wish Pearce was still in charge!

I never knew Southgate was coach of the U21s. What are they going to learn from that drippy get? What qualificationas does he have for the job even? You should have a top coach in charge at that level, not just someone who used to play in the Premiership and won some England caps once. Can't imagine Spain or Germany putting someone like that in charge of developing players. I know England don't take U21s seriously but that is a bit of a joke really.

I don't agree that the England decline must end. Personally I couldn't care less. Overpaid, spoilt brats and no Rovers players.

Totally agree. Ill watch the world cup but only because the others in my house will have it on. I find international football somewhat underinspiring and a total turn off if England are playing. Passionately patriotic about most things, but England football team, no thanks. It's not to do with the fact that they've been rubbish for years either. It's the spoilt little media darlings who are guaranteed caps for turning up and putting the kit on that have ruined it for me

I used to an England fanatic. I remember watching England v Rumania in the 1970 World Cup out in Mexico on TV at about 3.00 in the morning. And then going into work knackered. Now I can't be bothered turning the TV on if I'm in the room when they're playing. It's a shame really but I have absolutely no empathy with the players at all.

Totally agree. Ill watch the world cup but only because the others in my house will have it on. I find international football somewhat underinspiring and a total turn off if England are playing. Passionately patriotic about most things, but England football team, no thanks. It's not to do with the fact that they've been rubbish for years either. It's the spoilt little media darlings who are guaranteed caps for turning up and putting the kit on that have ruined it for me

They might be rubbish and media darlings but they are my rubbish and I will be supporting them even though it is a lost cause. That's what being English is all about.

Rovers may not be the best team but they are my team too. I was proud of being a Blackburner 40 years ago.

Well I might have to support them now since the lad I went to school with, went out with, was baptised with has just been appointed their sports psychologist. His name then wasn't Steve peters but Steven Hogg. Changed his name when he became a doctor. Can't remember why

• Backroom

Well I might have to support them now since the lad I went to school with, went out with, was baptised with has just been appointed their sports psychologist. His name then wasn't Steve peters but Steven Hogg. Changed his name when he became a doctor. Can't remember why

Perhaps there's another Steve Peters with a very good reputation in the same field? Wanting to differentiate like actors often do, maybe?

No mike. He changed his name from Hogg to peters before he qualified as a doctor. Think he just thought it sounded better. It's weird but until recently I didn't even know he'd made it big. Then a chance remark by another old friend sent me looking him up on YouTube to see if it was the same guy. He looks and sounds exactly the same as he did when we used to career around the northeast in his dad's ford Capri and tell his dad we'd just been down to Redcar, about 20 mins away. With his hand hovering over the hot car bonnet his dad would say "must be warm in Redcar tonight then, Steven" my dad was very worried that I was going out with him because, horror of horrors, he had long hair!

Archived