BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Currie lines up new bid?

If I were a multi-billionaire with hundreds of millions to throw away on a football club I would buy serially underperforming clubs but with great potential in large cities such as Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday or Sheffield United, maybe even Bristol City with the idea of establishing a top flight club in the southwest. Any buyer of Rovers would have to be a fan of the club because although we showed what is possible for a well-run medium-sized club over 17 of the past 20 years we do not have the obvious potential to get much bigger compared with the four I mentioned.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am doing my best to befriend a rich sheikh since I moved to Dubai and share the Rovers love, but have so far not accomplished my goal.

I will of course keep trying and when succesfull, and I assume the role of Chairman, I will bring back King Kenny, after giving Don McKay a crack first but getting rid of him when he signs the wrong Shearer. I will also reintroduce the original Rovers Return. Being a neighbouor of Michel Salgado I will try and get him involved as well.

Chicken will be banned from the ground, as will agents and anyone called Kean or Jerome.

While the above sounds fanciful and a little indulgent on my part it is just as likely to happen as some sensible, loaded person deciding to take over Rovers.

We are stuck with what we have until they get bored and when that happens I hope we are self sufficient or we will be starting off from the bottom. That is unless I achieve my goal and return to the UK a hero.

One thing you've missed out is that everyone of those clubs has a potential to grow the club locally. We don't. If the people of Blackburn don't come out in numbers to support the club then where are fans coming from? The other major towns nearby have their own clubs and black burns population isn't huge. Clubs like forest, Leeds, hull Swansea all have potential fanbases in the hundred thousands if not million+. Winning a few of them over will provide potential huge marketing revenue

Good post. I think even if we did get promoted by some miracle our average gates over a season would be in the region of 18/20k including away followings from now on. Probably less if standard Prem ticket prices applied :(

Good post. I think even if we did get promoted by some miracle our average gates over a season would be in the region of 18/20k including away followings from now on. Probably less if standard Prem ticket prices applied :(

You may be right but the income generated from gate receipts in the Premier League peels into insignificance compared to income generated elsewhere from being a member of the PL.

I am doing my best to befriend a rich sheikh since I moved to Dubai and share the Rovers love, but have so far not accomplished my goal.

I will of course keep trying and when succesfull, and I assume the role of Chairman, I will bring back King Kenny, after giving Don McKay a crack first but getting rid of him when he signs the wrong Shearer. I will also reintroduce the original Rovers Return. Being a neighbouor of Michel Salgado I will try and get him involved as well.

Chicken will be banned from the ground, as will agents and anyone called Kean or Jerome.

While the above sounds fanciful and a little indulgent on my part it is just as likely to happen as some sensible, loaded person deciding to take over Rovers.

We are stuck with what we have until they get bored and when that happens I hope we are self sufficient or we will be starting off from the bottom. That is unless I achieve my goal and return to the UK a hero.

McKay did not sign the wrong Shearer. King Kenny signed them both.

The only thing Rovers have is the tradition and rich history, both slowly being degraded by the lunes, does it have a value, maybe to a real supporter

You can never degrade our history or tradition, it's written. It's of no value whatsoever to any non supporter.

We've had and enjoyed the input of a supporter who's provided success beyond our wildest dreams, IMO it's unlikely to ever happen anywhere again, never mind in Blackburn.

Time to lower expectations unfortunately, natural selection and all that.

You can never degrade our history or tradition, it's written. It's of no value whatsoever to any non supporter.

We've had and enjoyed the input of a supporter who's provided success beyond our wildest dreams, IMO it's unlikely to ever happen anywhere again, never mind in Blackburn.

Time to lower expectations unfortunately, natural selection and all that.

Your post started well but, the highlighted bit

Never, Never, Never,

That is what I learned growing up around Blackburn, never give in, or as Banksy puts it, there is always hope

Your post started well but, the highlighted bit

Never, Never, Never,

That is what I learned growing up around Blackburn, never give in, or as Banksy puts it, there is always hope

You're correct of course Yoda, never stop striving but there does come a point when realism has to kick in.

You never know there may be a shale gas prospecting billionaire from Shadsworth in the offing!

I think Yoda that Darren was merely saying neither we nor any other small provincial club will ever see the rise and success we enjoyed in the early 90's and to even think that it will return in the current format is pie in the sky. However, we can all follow our teams and hope to reach the top table. If the revolution ever came and the mega bucks clubs were starved of money to the extent that it became a level playing field then we may have a chance.

I think Yoda that Darren was merely saying neither we nor any other small provincial club will ever see the rise and success we enjoyed in the early 90's and to even think that it will return in the current format is pie in the sky. However, we can all follow our teams and hope to reach the top table. If the revolution ever came and the mega bucks clubs were starved of money to the extent that it became a level playing field then we may have a chance.

Tell that to the dingles and let me know how much they have spent looking like they may make it to the PL this season.

Good management and tenacity, something we had goes a long way

Tell that to the dingles and let me know how much they have spent looking like they may make it to the PL this season.

To be totally honest and frank about it I do not care where the dingles are or what they are doing, my only care is for my team. Good luck to them if they make it and that just goes to prove the point that small provincial clubs can make it to the top table but feed off scraps and generally get thrown off fairly quickly.

Unfortunately we let our most tenacious player of last season sign for em for nowt!

To be totally honest and frank about it I do not care where the dingles are or what they are doing, my only care is for my team. Good luck to them if they make it and that just goes to prove the point that small provincial clubs can make it to the top table but feed off scraps and generally get thrown off fairly quickly.

Barring a total collapse of the current system, it is extremely unlikely that a club of our size will ever win the premier league again. Having said that, it is completely realistic to imagine that we could still make it back to the premier league and do very well. It isn't all that long ago that we built a top six team off of cast-offs, has beens and never weres.

It takes a bit of luck in the transfer market, extremely hard work and a very good set up both on and off the pitch, but that really isn't too much to hope for. The goal of our club should be to be the best run club of its size. If that can be achieved then there is no reason to think that it can't once again be a top 10 club in the premier league.

The advantage that we have is that we are still viewed by many to be a premier league club and that should help in signing players and staff, what we have to be mindful of is the fact that this reputation has a very short half-life.

We are moving in the right direction and there have been signifiant improvements over the past 12 months, but what we should never do is lower our expectations and accept mediocrity. Everyone in the club needs to be ambitious and optimistic, the moment that we lose that is the moment that we stand no chance.

Barring a total collapse of the current system, it is extremely unlikely that a club of our size will ever win the premier league again. Having said that, it is completely realistic to imagine that we could still make it back to the premier league and do very well. It isn't all that long ago that we built a top six team off of cast-offs, has beens and never weres.

I'd like to see that team Eddie.

The club needs new investment,it's totally stagnant right now.

If the Punatics have lost interest then in the name of Vishnu do the right thing for once and sell us to a multi-billionaire!

You dont want an investor you want a cash cow on a suicide mission. Referred to by Alan Sugar as a millionaire (billionaire) with a death wish.

Dont hold your breath SG.

The team that we had?

There's barely a single player in there that excited the fans when they signed and there's only one or two that achieved anything else with another club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

I can assure you plenty were excited by the signings of Bellamy and Savage.

Archived