BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Striker

Neal

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No we dont, any time we have played with Best and Rhodes for example, that has left us outnumbered in midfield and leads to lots of long ball which leaves Rhodes redundant.

Rhodes plays better with someone like Dunn linking him and the rest of the team, which youd have seen if you attended games.

Apart from when we beat Bournemouth 3-1, you mean?

No we dont, any time we have played with Best and Rhodes for example, that has left us outnumbered in midfield and leads to lots of long ball which leaves Rhodes redundant.

Rhodes plays better with someone like Dunn linking him and the rest of the team, which youd have seen if you attended games.

That's all well and good rf99 - and for what it's worth I completely agree.

However, when push comes to shove we will need a target man in certain games to come on and provide an outlet. Something which Rhodes is completely useless at. If this lad can come in and play back to goal, bringing others into the game, and providing our midfield/defence some respite then I think he's worth having.

You can only pick 11 so strikers who don't score are no use to anyone, particularly for a club in our plight. We need to get used to using our resources more effectively and not keep just bringing new signings in all the time.

Not true. Kevin Davies has forged a career from being the unselfish front man and bringing the other, more gifted players into the game. Heidur Helgusson also, scoring 8 goals in Cardiffs promotion season last year. There's probably more - fill in the gaps where applicable.

The rest of my thoughts on why he might be useful is in my post above

I understand what you mean, but with Best at the club still, we have a big striker on massive wages that we cant shift, who cost £3m. To be fair, as Amarillo said, he did well with Rhodes v Bournemouth.

I feel it is difficult for Bowyer to financially justify bringing another loan player to be a sub as a target man when we have such an expensive player to play a similar role on our books, even a Premier League club could struggle to justify that.

This bloke has 12 in 81 over 5 years. Would we not be better trying to bring someone through from our u21 ranks rather than splurging more cash out on someone with such a meagre goals return who probably won't get in our team anyway. You would even back Campbell or Best to score ahead of this fella..

I take it you've not seen a great deal of our Under-21's or Under-18's McClarky. There are no diamonds in the rough there unfortunately.

Well Best it is then. We would be totally irresponsible to bring anyone in with our current wages/turnover ratio. In the past when other clubs have done what we have done I have said that they are cheating by spending money they don't have and I can't see how what we are doing is any different. When FFP comes in we fully deserve to be hammered for our ridiculous management of our finances.

Well Best it is then. We would be totally irresponsible to bring anyone in with our current wages/turnover ratio. In the past when other clubs have done what we have done I have said that they are cheating by spending money they don't have and I can't see how what we are doing is any different. When FFP comes in we Venkys fully deserve to be hammered for our ridiculous management of our finances.

We really shouldn't be in this mess. It should be Venkys going out of business, or at least paying financial/legal penalties, not just Rovers.

It's like watching a slow motion train wreck all this, just waiting for the impact! :(

We really shouldn't be in this mess. It should be Venkys going out of business, or at least paying financial/legal penalties, not just Rovers.

It's like watching a slow motion train wreck all this, just waiting for the impact! :(

Totally agree buut as long as spoilt rich kids are allowed to buy vanity projects and then mismanage them out of existance this is going to happen. Who suffers....us.

Rudy Gestede been at Brockhall friday, apparently going to sign on Monday

He could be a good foil for Rhodes, should have the right attitude as Cardiff are a very hardworking team, I see he has made 53 appearances since

Aug 2011 so cant be totally useless, even if he does'nt score many, 6' 4" hopefully he will nod a few down for Jordan and knock a few defenders

about, looks a powerful lad, let's hope he can hold a ball up !

Probably start from the bench in most games.

Agree Stuart, if we bring someone in they need to be in the first team. We have enough 'depth'

I'd say we've got too much " depth " and not enough first teamers. I think you could play at least two full teams at Ewood that wouldn't be any worse , or better than each other. Four weeks from Xmas and we still have no real idea what our best team is, or a recognisable pattern of play. Our pals up the road have about 17 players to choose from so their team selection problems are simple. We've too many ' players'.

Incidentally, when I was writing ' teamers' in this post my I-pad corrected my spelling to ' teasers ' ! Maybe the I-pad knows more about football than I do.

I'd say we've got too much " depth " and not enough first teamers. I think you could play at least two full teams at Ewood that wouldn't be any worse , or better than each other. Four weeks from Xmas and we still have no real idea what our best team is, or a recognisable pattern of play. Our pals up the road have about 17 players to choose from so their team selection problems are simple. We've too many ' players'.

Incidentally, when I was writing ' teamers' in this post my I-pad corrected my spelling to ' teasers ' ! Maybe the I-pad knows more about football than I do.

Great post. Absolutely, there aren't many players who demand a first team place on form and ability. I think that the big thing is the pattern of play/formation. I've said it before, but it's the key thing holding us back - we don't have a formation and style that suits enough of our players, and plays enough to their strengths to make them automatic first team choices.

Having a fair amount of mediocre players doesn't help either! But then most championship teams do, which is why getting a formation and a style that suits the players we have is vital.

Rudy Gestede been at Brockhall friday, apparently going to sign on Monday

Once again (on the face of it) another poor show from Rovers. With Campbell suspended and Best's poor attitude we are once again down to just one striker (who has been having treatment all week). Why this lad couldn't be signed before yesterday's deadline yet is apparently signing on Monday is perplexing.

Once again (on the face of it) another poor show from Rovers. With Campbell suspended and Best's poor attitude we are once again down to just one striker (who has been having treatment all week). Why this lad couldn't be signed before yesterday's deadline yet is apparently signing on Monday is perplexing.

Or it indicates rhodes is fine and will be ok to start

What if he gets hit by a bus on his way to the ground?

If he's injured we have king who can play there, plus I'd expect ruben is on the bench today

Is it a good idea to play players out of position in a crucial match? The idea of substitutes is to try and cover all eventualities. This is probably the fifth time recently where we haven't had a natural striker on the bench and that is poor form by anybody's standards.

Is it a good idea to play players out of position in a crucial match? The idea of substitutes is to try and cover all eventualities. This is probably the fifth time recently where we haven't had a natural striker on the bench and that is poor form by anybody's standards.

There is no logical reason to delay signing him if we needed him. Bowyer seems a practical sensible chap

2+2 tells me there is a good reason for it happening on monday and we just dont know it

There is no logical reason to delay signing him if we needed him. Bowyer seems a practical sensible chap

2+2 tells me there is a good reason for it happening on monday and we just dont know it

We have had nigh on two weeks to sign a striker but typically of Rovers everything is left until late. Perhaps if Bowyer and Shaw hadn't been summoned to India the previous week some business may have been done.

Archived