BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendance v Burnley

damo100

Its officially recognised as within Historic Lancashire. I certainly consider Bolton as Lancashire and dont buy into this Greater Manchester malarky. Knowing you are a lancs cricket fan ads, I would have thought you supported the traditional lancashire boundaries?!

I agree that we all still class it as Lancashire and the people who reside there still class themselves as Lancastrians. But from a Legal perspective, which is my area of work, it is always classed as Greater Manchester and by letter it's classed as Greater Manchester. It is now Greater Manchester, it's just an annoyance of mine, ignore me.

Anyway David, do I know you? lol, obviously I do somehow?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me neither. 1974 was beurocratic lunacy.

Lancashire C.C. still play in their spiritual home in addition to occasional home games at Aigburth amongst others.

Even Mancs and scousers consider themselves Lancastrians when it suits. Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale, Skem, St Helens are all still Lancy in my book.

.....and so are Barrow-on-Furness, Warrington and Widnes. Those latter two towns in Cheshire ?- you must be joking. Any Manchester or Liverpool address in the old days always had "Lancs" at the end and that is where those two fine cities remain in my eyes. I don't like these urban "regions" such as Great Manchester and Blackburn with Darwen and hopefully one day they will be consigned to the dustbin like much of the 1970s and 80s. .

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/everyones-equal-eyes-law-unless-you-are-football-fan

thought this might be of interest as Rovers v Burnley is thought of as a 'bubble' game by the police. It's no wonder people can't be arsed with all the hassle of attending. It's also unbelievable what the police get away with in the name of 'fan safety'.

I would be interested to know the number of arrests over the last, what, 40 years, not that there have been that many games, between the two teams. The sad thing is the police have so many powers that we know so little about it is difficult to get answers as to why they get away with it. Also very expensive to challenge in the courts. I've just given up on the away fixture now.

A week Sunday my next door neighbour in Clitheroe is meeting the Dingle bus at Clayton. I suggested a beer after the game at about 6, he may be late.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/everyones-equal-eyes-law-unless-you-are-football-fan

thought this might be of interest as Rovers v Burnley is thought of as a 'bubble' game by the police. It's no wonder people can't be arsed with all the hassle of attending. It's also unbelievable what the police get away with in the name of 'fan safety'.

Very interesting read, nothing new though, football supporters and any sort of protesters, no matter how peaceful, have no

rights whatsoever in this country, you're guilty until proven innocent, which is hardly ever going to happen, unless you have it on film of course !

Police state, and only going to get worse.

A simple map - here - shows that it was, with Manchester, Liverpool, Wigan and chunks of modern day Cumbria, in Lancashire

Nice of them to give us that pointless little bit of Yorkshire with Barlick, Earby and Gisburn though ey? <_<

Lived in Waddington for 11 years, shudder at the thought it was in Yorkshire at one point, Burnley will always be a small town in nowhere?

Edisford pub was in Yorkshire at one time as the Ribble was the county boundary, not in my lifetime though fortunately, I'm well away from the Yorkshire border these days.

Not in the 60s it wasn't, Burnden Park was my first away game, the middle of Lever end was full of Rovers' fans whilst the Bolton fans

cowered in the corner, a bit like the Stretford end a year or 2 previously.

Over the next few years the Hells Angels and Greasers seemed to die off for Rovers and the 'Warby mob' got a hold at Bolton.

I got told about this a few months ago. Apparently up until 1969 or so Rovers always 'took' the Lever End. It was only when the grebos died off (not literally) and skinheads appeared on the scene that the Bolton lot got the upper hand. Unfortunately this coincided with my first few away trips there which were always fraught with danger!

Regarding Lancashire, the old county boundary is still there. The 1974 Merseyside, Greater Manchester counties etc are 'Administrative Counties' only. Interesting that those areas around Liverpool seem to embrace Merseyside whilst those around Greater Manchester (Wigan, Leigh, Bolton etc) don't want anything to do with it. And as for Cumbria....at work if we get anyone in from Barrow in Furness, we ask them if they're still loyal to the Red Rose and they look at you as if you're a bit strange. Those from Ulverston, however, still campaign for a return to Lancashire (even though they're still in it for reasons that I've mentioned).

Try asking someone from Southport if they like being in Merseyside Clayton. They have probably been the most vociferous about being back in Lancashire. And those on the Wirral have much the same wanted to be back in Cheshire. In fact they had a bit of success in getting a Chester postcode rather than a Liverpool one.

Looks like we're well on course to at least match last season's attendance of 20,000.

The BBE Lower, Riverside and JW Lower (DE side) are selling very well. Just the rest of the JW and BBE upper with large gaps to fill now.

B*rnley sales have tailed off, but only around 150 left and they have until Monday at the latest to sell them.

I think the home attendance would be higher if we were flying high in 2nd place in the league. No surprise they are going to sell out given the season they are having.

I'd take a draw right now. Although you never know what is going to happen, Dunny could be a hero again, and Rhodes is due a goal or two! Burnley have bottled it a few times against us when they've looked like winning.

Don't care if lose every other game as long as we win this.. I now sit behind a mouthy dingle at work and close to snapping already .. You would think they were 100 points clear in the prem , oh and it's out fault transfers are too high and our winning the league & cup don't count because we bought them ,

I think they might have missed their chance over the last 3 games where we have been there for the taking. We're more solid now and I expect us to win 2 or 3 zip, nought or nada, however you want to say it.

Setting yourself up for either disappointment or a good moan.

Archived