BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendance v Burnley

damo100

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this every year but I do feel sorry for Bolton with their desperation to have rivals. For example

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/forum/reebok-rant/bolton-v-blackburn/

I used to work with a Bolton fan who got giddy three weeks before they played us as their `biggest` local derby was approaching. He thought I was joking when I said that tbh Bolton were just another NW derby, nowhere near the scale of Burnley and I'd put Preston as bigger rivals above them.

Over the years when I have been forum scouring, Ive seen their fans proclaim to hate us, Man U, Wigan and even Tranmere. Dont get me wrong. I dont like losing any local game where I know fans of the opposition. However Bolton fans seem to think this game is a huge rivalry. Must be frustrating when you are just an irrelevance to everyone else.

To be fair, there was/is something about this fixture for those of us who can't really remember all that much pre-Souness. The fortunes of both clubs seemed to mirror each other pretty remarkably for the best part of a decade, and in the absence of anything else to worry about, Kevin Davies, EH Diouf & Big Sam were probably the closest we got to pantomime villains.

That said, I cringed every time Sky referred to THE Lancs Derby. Obviously not on the same scale as Rovers v Burnley or PNE and B'pool.

• Backroom

To be fair, there was/is something about this fixture for those of us who can't really remember all that much pre-Souness. The fortunes of both clubs seemed to mirror each other pretty remarkably for the best part of a decade, and in the absence of anything else to worry about, Kevin Davies, EH Diouf & Big Sam were probably the closest we got to pantomime villains.

That said, I cringed every time Sky referred to THE Lancs Derby. Obviously not on the same scale as Rovers v Burnley or PNE and B'pool.

Bolton aren't even IN Lancashire ;)

No one has ever taken them seriously as rivals, shame that :) Makes me laugh everytime we go there and stand singing the usual songs about Burnley etc and they try to sing similar names at us, dingles, interbred etc. The younger of their support think they've invented all that just for Blackburn.....actually i do ###### hate this lot !

Bolton aren't even IN Lancashire ;)

Just call em manc suburb overspill .

anyone who doesn't think there was any historical rivalry between Rovers and Bolton obviously never went to Burnden in the 1960's or 1970's!

I recall a couple of Third Division games with 10,000 more on than we'll get at Ewood for Burnley and if you got out of that open end alive it was a bonus!

John Byrom's house in Feniscowles used to get besieged for a fortnight before we played them!

Totally agree meadows. Bolton were always derby rivals throughout that period and earlier. It's only since the Premier League period that some have stopped thinking of it as a derby. It was always a heated affair prior to that.

anyone who doesn't think there was any historical rivalry between Rovers and Bolton obviously never went to Burnden in the 1960's or 1970's!

I recall a couple of Third Division games with 10,000 more on than we'll get at Ewood for Burnley and if you got out of that open end alive it was a bonus!

John Byrom's house in Feniscowles used to get besieged for a fortnight before we played them!

From what I can gather it was like that going to Burnden back then regardless of who you supported !

Do I want to win this game - Of course. Do I care more if we lose than if we'd got beat of say United, Everton or Liverpool. No

For me Burnely followed by Preston are our main two rivalries. Bolton may come third but the point stands that Bolton fans try to make several teams their number 1 'enemy' when in realisty Bolton are an also ran on other teams rival lists.

33000 on that night I believe which was a 3rd Div record until broken a few years later by a Sheffield derby.

Plain fact is that we are surrounded and if you are from the Darwen / Turton side of town Bolton games are massive derby fixtures, if you are from the west (Hoghton, Brig, Chorley, Leyland) the ones v PNE are more significant whilst Accrington, Clitheroe, Rishton and Arrod are daggers drawn with the Dingles.

33000 on that night I believe which was a 3rd Div record until broken a few years later by a Sheffield derby.

Remember it well as a kid my dad took me off the railway end just before Rovers scored with hundreds of Bolton fans waiting to get into what was then a massive open end behind the goals. Think the Rovers special train on the embankment behind the end was trashed by the Bolton fans that evening as well.

Well, it seems to have developed more into a discussion about our rivalry with Notlob, however, to return to the original topic, there'l be one less on the BE than there should be against the Dingles. My little girl was in tears last night after learning that her dancing exam was scheduled for 2pm on 9th March!

Previously they've always been either earlier in the morning or around 4ish, but no, not on the one day she's been looking forward to since her season ticket arrived!

She'll get to see most of it on the box before she has to go but that's not really the point is it!

I'll be honest, seeing her face last night when I had to tell her we wouldn't be able to get back in time from the game almost brought me to tears (lump in throat & watery eyes though!). This was then followed by storming off upstairs to cry into her Rovers pillow!

I'm usually good a finding a solution to timetabling issues, every Saturday we always miss the first couple of minutes due to her dancing lessons only finishing at 1430, but we always just about make it. This time I have no solution.

Anyway, I'll still be there (booked mumcabs to take her to her exam).

I was actually looking forward to taking her to her first proper Derby game. Gutted!

Just mention the words "Lever End" to anyone 50 plus and you'll see the colour drain from them a little!

Thoughts of the embankment did that, especially when it was split between home and away fans with bricks/lumps of concrete flying back and forth across 'no mans land'

In reality, they've not changed have they, still backward

Last time I said that I got slated and got a history lesson chucked at me. However at the end of the day, no matter what anybody says, Bolton is NOT in Lancashire.

Its officially recognised as within Historic Lancashire. I certainly consider Bolton as Lancashire and dont buy into this Greater Manchester malarky. Knowing you are a lancs cricket fan ads, I would have thought you supported the traditional lancashire boundaries?!

Last time I said that I got slated and got a history lesson chucked at me. However at the end of the day, no matter what anybody says, Bolton is NOT in Lancashire.

Its officially recognised as within Historic Lancashire. I certainly consider Bolton as Lancashire and dont buy into this Greater Manchester malarky. Knowing you are a lancs cricket fan ads, I would have thought you supported the traditional lancashire boundaries?!

A simple map - here - shows that it was, with Manchester, Liverpool, Wigan and chunks of modern day Cumbria, in Lancashire

Me neither. 1974 was beurocratic lunacy.

Lancashire C.C. still play in their spiritual home in addition to occasional home games at Aigburth amongst others.

Even Mancs and scousers consider themselves Lancastrians when it suits. Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale, Skem, St Helens are all still Lancy in my book.

I don't consider Bolton to be great rivals but I do enjoy beating them because their fans are such an odious lot. Win or lose after matches at Ewood they march up Bolton Road grunting and shouting obscenities. They really are a bunch of Neanderthals.

• Moderation Lead

I don't consider Bolton to be great rivals but I do enjoy beating them because their fans are such an odious lot. Win or lose after matches at Ewood they march up Bolton Road grunting and shouting obscenities. They really are a bunch of Neanderthals.

Exactly right Al, muppets this lot.

Lever End, men in black leather trench coats, Manchester Road railway bridges...........

Scary indeed.

Not in the 60s it wasn't, Burnden Park was my first away game, the middle of Lever end was full of Rovers' fans whilst the Bolton fans

cowered in the corner, a bit like the Stretford end a year or 2 previously.

Over the next few years the Hells Angels and Greasers seemed to die off for Rovers and the 'Warby mob' got a hold at Bolton.

Archived