BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Season

Squad-wise, I hope we keep chipping away at the obvious deadwood (we currently have 14 players out at loan, with the absolute majority of them only being so because we couldn't sell them) and get high quality loans in to replace Keane and Kane, who I take it will return to their clubs at the end of the season. The most critical area is central midfield though, if we can sneak in one high quality signing there I honestly think the squad (barring several injuries) has what it takes for top two.

----------------Robinson-------------------

--New------Hanley----New------Spurr---

--------------Evans----New----------------

------Conway----Cairney----Marshall---

--------------------Rhodes------------------

Subs: Kean, Gestede, Kilgallon, Henley, King, Lowe, Taylor

By the way, this is all with Bowyer still at the helm, and not accounting for various issues with the ownership of the club, economical or otherwise.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robinson 1st choice, Kean sub.

In defence, new right back and both a sub full back(covering both sides) and an experienced centre back is needed. Hanley, Kilgallon and Spurr fine.

In central midfield, Cairney, Evans, Lowe all good. Get somebody else with some experience.

In attacking midfield/out wide, Conway, King, Marshall, Taylor and Judge all fine. One first choice player needed to replace Dunn.

Rhodes and Gestede fine. Best OK as back up if we can't find a buyer. If we can, get another striker. Not Varney.

Plus an experienced manager.

We need to add some pace somewhere Commondore. Conway and Marshall both offer trickery and decent delivery from the flanks, but we need some pace out wide. We're not stretching teams at all right now, so if King cannot stay fit then this will need to be addressed.

Marshall is no slouch, but on the other hand he's definitely not Bellamy either. I agree about the side looking a tad slow, but King just hasn't performed consistently enough (although he did show some improvement early in the season) to warrant a starting place and buying/loaning in a new winger exclusively for pace feels like shaky prioritizing when we need to adress defense and central midfield as well.

• Backroom

I don't understand why, in a 5 man midfield with a blank in there, you have put Cairney into a position where he has always been ineffective. Move Cairney back to dictate and sign a flair player for that number 10 role would be the way to go.

I think with that duo of Evans and Cairney behind him, I genuinely think Judge could do a job behind Rhodes. He's always been shoved out wide while here, but made the L1 team of the season in the No10 role. Reckon at the very least, he's worth a go there.

Ditto Taylor tbh, but as Taylor can play on the wing too, he's an ideal squad player imo.

I don't understand why, in a 5 man midfield with a blank in there, you have put Cairney into a position where he has always been ineffective. Move Cairney back to dictate and sign a flair player for that number 10 role would be the way to go.

I think we're too vulnerable with only one defensive midfielder, and that Cairney has the most potential as an attacking midfielder who can also put in a shift when we don't have the ball. I'm not completely opposed to see him play further down the field and dictate play, but not as a status quo.

do you think that will happen? I don't!! the witch and her cronies are too scared to appoint a proven manager as he wont just be 'grateful' to have the manager's job at rovers

I think that's a very good point. Every manager they've appointed has been grateful for the job because, on their record, they could have no such expectation,

Can't agree here at all. You'd have a situation where the manager is just a puppet and the assistant is the man in charge.

It was a mistake to put Bowyer in charge, let's not keep him in the gig in the forlorn hope that he'll get better. He's had a fair crack but it's been a failed experiment. Now let's buck the trend of hiring unproven novices and hire an experienced man.

Did you expect us to get promoted this season way back this time last year Bryan?

It seems to me in Indian culture that you never question your boss, it's a total no-no. That isn't a healthy set-up at a football club.

It's the only way to go in the Army though.

I think with that duo of Evans and Cairney behind him, I genuinely think Judge could do a job behind Rhodes. He's always been shoved out wide while here, but made the L1 team of the season in the No10 role. Reckon at the very least, he's worth a go there.

Agreed, and he might do even better behind Gestede if JR is having another of his ineffective days.

Squad-wise, I hope we keep chipping away at the obvious deadwood (we currently have 14 players out at loan, with the absolute majority of them only being so because we couldn't sell them) and get high quality loans in to replace Keane and Kane, who I take it will return to their clubs at the end of the season. The most critical area is central midfield though, if we can sneak in one high quality signing there I honestly think the squad (barring several injuries) has what it takes for top two.

----------------Robinson-------------------

--New------Hanley----New------Spurr---

--------------Evans----New----------------

------Conway----Cairney----Marshall---

--------------------Rhodes------------------

Subs: Kean, Gestede, Kilgallon, Henley, King, Lowe, Taylor

By the way, this is all with Bowyer still at the helm, and not accounting for various issues with the ownership of the club, economical or otherwise.

Agree with 99 on that.

Also a few observations on that otherwise promising formation that Commodore posted. .

Right back - Lowe would do an excellent job there and make the most of his strengths. Also let's not give up on Henley just yet (although he's been shocking of late.) We've seen talent and good performances before, hopefully this is just a blip.

Center back - Kilgallon (when fit) is not a bad partner to have for Hanley. I'd personally go for someone else, but even if we can't get in a 1st teamer to partner Hanley it's not a bad defense.

Wide midfield - if King can get back to his early season form would perhaps fancy him instead of Conway (who I also do like the look of a lot) to give us a bit more pace. When he plays well with his pace King is unplayable. When he doesn't play well - least said the better. But it's an exciting dilemma for a manager to have.

For some games we can play 2 up top or have Gestede up top instead of Rhodes. Again that's a decent set of options to have up top, Rhodes, Gestede or both. I'm sure that there'll be games for all 3 permutations of this.

Taylor covers a lot of positions, Lowe can slot in when we need more bite in midfield, and if Dunn is fit (ha!) that gives another option - I imagine Dunn from the bench when teams are more tired would be an amazing asset to have in the team's arsenal,

All in all it looks fairly promising - we have a good nucleus of a side which should challenge for promotion. .

Ditto Taylor tbh, but as Taylor can play on the wing too, he's an ideal squad player imo.

Don't get the love in with Judge. He looked awful for us this season. Granted that was out wide, but even so didn't see anything that suggested he'd be much better in the hole for us. Looked far too lightweight and slow imo, and didn't see any passing that made me think he was all that creative.

Mind you, given that he's on the books and is excelling at the level below perhaps he's worth a try in that position. I'd recall him and give him a shot now, rather than risking it next season. However, I suspect League 1 is very much his level, and he'll look good there but struggle in the Championship.

Next season would like to see more leaders brought into the team to support current leaders on the pitch like the goalkeeper Robinson, centre half Grant Hanley central midfielder Corry Evans that is if Rovers are to gain promotion.

Its got to be a must this summer surely that Rovers recruit several more leaders onto the pitch to change this current mediocrity into victory.

Just dont think the people behind the scenes are capable or have the desire to achieve this unfortunately.

If Bowyer keeps up his record of buying from promoted teams we might see Michael Duff, Dean Marney and the return of Dave Jones!

Joking aside I'd love it if we got some of the Leicester players who will be surplus to requirements in the Premier League, players like Matty James, Chris Wood or Andy King, if we could get Lloyd Dyer I'd be delighted!

Don't get the love in with Judge. He looked awful for us this season. Granted that was out wide, but even so didn't see anything that suggested he'd be much better in the hole for us. Looked far too lightweight and slow imo, and didn't see any passing that made me think he was all that creative.

Wow.

When he played he took every corner for us and me and my dad were saying how he was the best corner taker we'd had for some time. Against Boro at home he was by far our best player, his passing and movement were excellent. Technically streets past everyone else on the pitch.

It really is starting to get on my nerves how our managers and fans discard every single player with an ounce of ability. Yet the fans are complaining when we end up with a midfield of Williamson and Lowe... Our fans are really a clueless bunch.

Just because we're in the championship now seems to bring this trend of wanting plain hard working players in the side... At whatever level, the minimum requirement of any professional footballer should be to work hard, what sets those decent teams apart is having players with the ability to do something with the ball.

Judge is a decent technically gifted player, he may not be a starter when our first 11 is fit but as we haven't had that luxury, I think it's been a big mistake by Bowyer (among many) to let him go.

It really is starting to get on my nerves how our managers and fans discard every single player with an ounce of ability. Yet the fans are complaining when we end up with a midfield of Williamson and Lowe... Our fans are really a clueless bunch.

Only if you consider "the fans" to be a single entity, an egregore. Which they aren't.

• Moderation Lead

Wow.

When he played he took every corner for us and me and my dad were saying how he was the best corner taker we'd had for some time. Against Boro at home he was by far our best player, his passing and movement were excellent. Technically streets past everyone else on the pitch.

Just because we're in the championship now seems to bring this trend of wanting plain hard working players in the side... At whatever level, the minimum requirement of any professional footballer should be to work hard, what sets those decent teams apart is having players with the ability to do something with the ball.

Judge is a decent technically gifted player, he may not be a starter when our first 11 is fit but as we haven't had that luxury, I think it's been a big mistake by Bowyer (among many) to let him go.

Completely agree on Judge. Never got a fair crack of the whip, and was dismissed by so many fans here.

Showed a lot of technical ability, and took a brilliant set piece!

I assume that as a fan you include yourself in the "clueless bunch" or are you one of the superior types? :glare:

Don't get the love in with Judge. He looked awful for us this season. Granted that was out wide, but even so didn't see anything that suggested he'd be much better in the hole for us.

How do you think Dunny would fare if you had only seen him play out wide? He does OK in the hole though doesn't he?

Judge isn't great but he's too useful to bin off now that Rochina has fallen out of favour. He has lots of technical ability, a good engine and a good brain. His downside is that he is small and lightweight and has little top end pace and as a result is not quick enough to avoid being brushed off the ball. Running the wing is not the place for him, playing point of a 5 man midfield is.

Next season would like to see more leaders brought into the team to support current leaders on the pitch like the goalkeeper Robinson, centre half Grant Hanley central midfielder Corry Evans that is if Rovers are to gain promotion.

Its got to be a must this summer surely that Rovers recruit several more leaders onto the pitch to change this current mediocrity into victory.

We have missed Dave Jones as I knew we would when he was told there was no place for him in the close season. By putting all our eggs in the Spearing basket we backed the wrong horse. Our loss in that dept has been Burnley's gain as I felt it would be...... although I must admit not to the extent that it has been.

Just dont think the people behind the scenes are capable or have the desire to achieve this unfortunately.

No, but we will only ever be 6 points off the play offs and have stability ;-)

Wow.

Hmm, seems a bit OTT Neal, saying not rating Judge is the same as not wanting any players with skill! Bit of a false dichotomy that.

I totally agree skill and guile is needed, and currently Dunn aside, we don't have enough of it. That's why I'd have kept Rochina, why I have stated Cairney needs to be in the middle - skill is needed. I'm just not convinced that Judge is the answer. Even you suggest he's not a first 11 type player, which is surely what we need to improve and kick on for promotion.

I guess it's a question of budgets and availability. I'd personally see us persist with Rochina than Judge, or look for someone who can command a first team place and add creativity. If we've no budget and need to slash the wage bill though, then we may well have to go with Judge as our creative player

Just my opinion on next season

1) Dont think Robinson Rhodes Kane or Rochina will be here next season

2) Hoping Etuhu Best and Campbell arn't either

3) Burnley have shown you can play 4-4-2 in this division and be successful and i don't see a reason why we can't either with Conway Evans Cairney Marshall

4) Judge will get the chance to fill Dunny's role

5) Lowe should be moved back to r/b - he's a poor midfielder but an average to decent full back

6) Very little or no money will be spent on transfers

• Moderation Lead

Just my opinion on next season

1) Dont think Robinson Rhodes Kane or Rochina will be here next season

2) Hoping Etuhu Best and Campbell arn't either

3) Burnley have shown you can play 4-4-2 in this division and be successful and i don't see a reason why we can't either with Conway Evans Cairney Marshall

4) Judge will get the chance to fill Dunny's role

5) Lowe should be moved back to r/b - he's a poor midfielder but an average to decent full back

6) Very little or no money will be spent on transfers

I hope you're right....There's not much between Henley and Kane, and Kane isn't our player anyway so it makes no sense to keep playing him. Henley has looked like a rabbit in the headlights of late and needs taking out of the firing line for an extended period of time so he can sort his head out imo.

I hope you're right....There's not much between Henley and Kane, and Kane isn't our player anyway so it makes no sense to keep playing him. Henley has looked like a rabbit in the headlights of late and needs taking out of the firing line for an extended period of time so he can sort his head out imo.

When I first saw Henley play it was at left back. Is that his natural position? I think our full backs are our weakest position, Henley, Kane and to some extent spurr don't give me any confidence.

I assume that as a fan you include yourself in the "clueless bunch" or are you one of the superior types? :glare:

I used to, until Steve Kean arrived... That changed everything.

I totally agree skill and guile is needed, and currently Dunn aside, we don't have enough of it. That's why I'd have kept Rochina, why I have stated Cairney needs to be in the middle - skill is needed.

Agreed.

Archived