BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BLACKBURN ROVERS V'S IPSWICH

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely this talk of Dickson getting more game time has to be a joke? i know it's been bad this season but christ, that is desperate... Cairney will be pulling his har out if he doesn't get a game in the middle behind Dickson.

Poorly worded sorry but I still think we are right to aspire to more than stability even this season when you see how poor some of the teams above us have been

We are, and we have been. Bowyer and the players have been talking about it a lot, even when it has seemed impossible to most of us (remember too, a vast portion of the fan base seemed to rule it out completely before the season began...I'm quite sure I see a lot of the same people who said we would be in a relegation dogfight complaining we haven't got promoted...). Unfortunately, there's been a combination of poor tactics from Bowyer (he probably doesn't see them as unambitious, he likely thinks it's the most effective way for us to get points), and let's be honest here, some awful luck at times. Every team every season will bemoan their bad luck, and Rovers have had more than their fair share of it for years now, but I do think this season has been one of the worst for it. Awful refereeing decisions and horrendous injuries. Think about it, a couple of the unlucky defeats (or even draws) having been wins and we would have been thoroughly in the mix right now. I'd say there's games where the tactics have cost us a win too, of course, hence I say a combination. My point is just that it's a fine line, and with a young squad likely to keep improving, we might be strong enough to cross that line next year.

For me, I'd give Bowyer the summer and the first ten games of next season before reassessing it. He's good in the market for the most part, and we are likely to need to do some more rebuilding given how we continue to leak cash. He's probably a good candidate for that. If we are seeing no improvements after ten games though it could then be the wise time to let him go. What I'm hoping is, with the season being over, he throws a little caution to the wind, it works, and he learns. We'll see.

• Backroom

Anyways on the game itself they say history is written by the winners and as such the game is remembered differently as we got our long overdue and much needed home win but I though the first hour was terrible from both sides, a couple of chances each way but no class to show for it.

Rudy found his feet and it changed the game, he set up Conway brilliantly then did even better to set up Rhodes who showed his class in front of goal with a great finish that wasn't easy, I still think Dunn was about to replace Rudy so we can be thankful the ball didn't go out of play.

From there they never looked like getting into the game and it was as comfy as you could hope for.

Not quite sure how Varney gets on the pitch before King but nice to see Cairney move central.

All in all nice to win but hard to be overly enthusiastic about it, that's probably more indicative of my feelings towards the whole thing at the moment though.

Comfortable win in the end after a truly shocking 1st half.

The main positives were how we went for a 2nd to kill the game, Rhodes's superb finish, Rudy's constant bullying of the Ipswich back line and a solid midfield, Cairney proving how much of a class act he really is.

Just a shame we've left a good dozen points out there and only have 6 'dead rubbers' left.

We were far better in the second half as we pressed higher up and forced several errors from Ipswich . This was after a much even first half. It was like the penny had dropped in the second half as a lot more of the back to front passes were diagonal rather than the easy to defend straight ball. The first goal came from Hanleys long diagonal ball to Gestede. Overall a satisfying win with the big bonus of a clean sheet.

Oh dear what a dreadful game of football that was. It was the pits.

The ONLY positives were the Rhodes sublime finish and the 3 points.

A forgettable experience that will continue to drive the crowds down.

PB - this is the Championship - hard work but little skill. To be honest I think - even before we scored the first goal - Ipswich were starting to tire and we had started to find gaps.

I agree about Rhodes finish - but he had done little before that. When are we going to realise that our best chance is to compress the play - and play a higher defensive line ?

PB - this is the Championship - hard work but little skill. To be honest I think - even before we scored the first goal - Ipswich were starting to tire and we had started to find gaps.

I agree about Rhodes finish - but he had done little before that. When are we going to realise that our best chance is to compress the play - and play a higher defensive line ?

Yes we sit back too much and fail to close the other side down in their own half, it is like we are trying to play Premiership football (badly) in the Championship.

Rhodes was poor but he did the job with his goal. We did start to play however after our 2nd goal. It is as if the players are devoid of confidence and possibly even look disinterested. I also worry about our gates next season. The lie was 13,200 (with 600 Ipswich fans- which was a decent turn out from them); in truth we struggle to get 10k on these days with the mid week game having more like 7k.

Anyways on the game itself they say history is written by the winners and as such the game is remembered differently as we got our long overdue and much needed home win but I though the first hour was terrible from both sides, a couple of chances each way but no class to show for it.

Rudy found his feet and it changed the game, he set up Conway brilliantly then did even better to set up Rhodes who showed his class in front of goal with a great finish that wasn't easy, I still think Dunn was about to replace Rudy so we can be thankful the ball didn't go out of play.

From there they never looked like getting into the game and it was as comfy as you could hope for.

Not quite sure how Varney gets on the pitch before King but nice to see Cairney move central.

All in all nice to win but hard to be overly enthusiastic about it, that's probably more indicative of my feelings towards the whole thing at the moment though.

How did our play change when Cairney went central?

We were far better in the second half as we pressed higher up and forced several errors from Ipswich . This was after a much even first half. It was like the penny had dropped in the second half as a lot more of the back to front passes were diagonal rather than the easy to defend straight ball. The first goal came from Hanleys long diagonal ball to Gestede. Overall a satisfying win with the big bonus of a clean sheet.

It's all about long diagonals? I've heard that before regards Rovers.

Are you Paul Ince? Shoot!

Just a shame we've left a good dozen points out there and only have 6 'dead rubbers' left.

Exactly. Despite having a season ticket I gave today and the Brighton game a miss.

When we miss the play offs by about 6 points it will be frustrating when you look back at the points we have completely thrown away this season.

I just dont get why Bowyer doesnt go for it. Get Gestede Rhodes King Dunn Conway Cairney all on the pitch at the same time ....

"Your wish is granted.. you have only two more wishes and remember.. I cannot force anyone to love you against their wishes, believe me I have tried with my stevie" - Madame Desai

Rudy went off for Dunn so not quite

And King never came on, thank goodness. Perhaps Varney has a better footballing brain.

Archived