BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BLACKBURN ROVERS V'S IPSWICH

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did he not score last time he came on? He may have the technique of a donkey but against tired legs when he's fresh he could be quite potent..

No he didn't. It was the time before last King scored.

To clarify, its Varney who should be on Blackpool beach, Aintree is too good for him!

• Moderation Lead

King is ideal for running at tired defenders, he's stronger than he gets credit for as well.

Marshall and Conway should be our starting wingers imo though.

Yes we sit back too much and fail to close the other side down in their own half, it is like we are trying to play Premiership football (badly) in the Championship.

Rhodes was poor but he did the job with his goal. We did start to play however after our 2nd goal. It is as if the players are devoid of confidence and possibly even look disinterested. I also worry about our gates next season. The lie was 13,200 (with 600 Ipswich fans- which was a decent turn out from them); in truth we struggle to get 10k on these days with the mid week game having more like 7k.

If we win the fans will come back.

As for the "lie" - as far as I know every club includes season ticket holder numbers whether they attend or not. Talking to some Blackpool fans - they make the same remarks about attendances at Bloomfield Rd.

I will be interested to see what the prices are for next season. Unfortunately I think the cheap prices started by JW will come back to haunt us. Realistically we need to increase prices to make the club more self sufficient - but I fear it will greatly reduce attendances if they do that as we have all become conditioned to cheap tickets.

Dour first half but we looked much better in the second half. I thought there were a number of decent performances with Rhodes and Gestede linking well in the second half. Thought Williamson had a very good game in midfield. Would like to see a fully fit Etuhu get a run of games. He still has a couple of years left on his contract and we need to make use of him. I still believe he has something to offer in the Championship. Ipswich seemed to run out of ideas and looked poor at the end. Left the ground feeling quite optimistic about the way the squad is developing. For the first time in three years I'm actually beginning to look forward to a new season.

Robbo deserves a special mention as well for today. Made a decent save from a point blank shot in the first half and his handling was good throughout.

He got hammered on here after Tuesday night with calls to bring in any old Tom Dick or Harry to replace him. Now, he may well be on big money but is still a good keeper at this level and is also pretty much the only vocal 'leader' on the pitch.

A bit harsh of me on King, I admit.

He's a good athlete. I just wish he could produce an end product more often than he does.

Lennon for all his pace, still doesn't have an end product. Walcott is another quick player that sometimes struggles to put in a decent cross. Perhaps it just needs them to maybe slow down, and they will have enough time to look up and cross the ball

No he didn't. It was the time before last King scored.

To clarify, its Varney who should be on Blackpool beach, Aintree is too good for him!

My bad.

A bit harsh of me on King, I admit.

He's a good athlete. I just wish he could produce an end product more often than he does.

I worry about his double hammy injury this season, too much eccentric strength training I presume, but it will hit his pace. Remember Micheal Owen.

King will never get a consistent end product it's too late for that, but surely like lennon he can pass a ball 10-15 yards accurately? Get him to drive into the edge of the box and cut it back, JR will get on the end of it.

Dour first half but we looked much better in the second half. I thought there were a number of decent performances with Rhodes and Gestede linking well in the second half. Thought Williamson had a very good game in midfield. Would like to see a fully fit Etuhu get a run of games. He still has a couple of years left on his contract and we need to make use of him. I still believe he has something to offer in the Championship. Ipswich seemed to run out of ideas and looked poor at the end. Left the ground feeling quite optimistic about the way the squad is developing. For the first time in three years I'm actually beginning to look forward to a new season.

That's was pretty much my thoughts on the game.

the Gestede and Rhodes partnership looked better second half. need to start playing closer together as a pairing.

its wasn't the best game of football but Football is about winning. for Ipswich made it a boring game IMO with playing 4-5-1 and didn't change it even when they was losing. they was very well organised and well drilled as a team. McCarthy has done a very good job on very limited funds.

I thought Michael Keane was very good today for last 70 mins of the game. Also thought he played better after Robinson has a chat with him when Nouble beat him easily. Keane was very good going forward aswell. excellent of Robinson to have done this maybe I was wrong about Robbo after his today performance??? Robinson only had 1 save all day to make and was very good save.

a very good 3 points for us,

looking forward to next season and Rovers having a real good season hopefully

The win today stretches our unbeaten run to six games. To be honest it was a typical close Championship encounter with not very much between the two sides. The first goal was nice to see and further evidence that a Rhodes and Gestede is a superb striking partnership in this league. We really have to try our utmost to keep those together for next season. If those two can play in majority of the games for a full season together there should be no reason why they shouldn't be able to get 40 goals between them. After the first goal went in Ipswich seemed to lose their spirit and we controlled the game from that point on.

• Backroom

I'm looking forward to it because its a fresh chance to make a real go of it but where we differ is I'm not sure that for all his brilliant work in bringing in the likes of Cairney, Rudy and Conway if tactically the manager may prevent us making a real challenge

We'll see what the summer brings but I hope we don't end up looking back on this season and seeing how achievable the playoffs were as a chance missed

That's was pretty much my thoughts on the game.

the Gestede and Rhodes partnership looked better second half. need to start playing closer together as a pairing.

its wasn't the best game of football but Football is about winning. for Ipswich made it a boring game IMO with playing 4-5-1 and didn't change it even when they was losing. they was very well organised and well drilled as a team. McCarthy has done a very good job on very limited funds.

I thought Michael Keane was very good today for last 70 mins of the game. Also thought he played better after Robinson has a chat with him when Nouble beat him easily. Keane was very good going forward aswell. excellent of Robinson to have done this maybe I was wrong about Robbo after his today performance??? Robinson only had 1 save all day to make and was very good save.

a very good 3 points for us,

looking forward to next season and Rovers having a real good season hopefully

For me it all depends on who we keep? I'd keep robbo, Dunn can surely be aided somehow (he played 3 back to back recently, so that's hopeful) but it will come down to finances in the end. I'm waiting till the 30th of june passes and we see who stays and who gets released.

I do want to see a change in the staff, football wise and fitness wise, what's Mike Phelan doing these days??? He'd be a great No. 2

I'm looking forward to it because its a fresh chance to make a real go of it but where we differ is I'm not sure that for all his brilliant work in bringing in the likes of Cairney, Rudy and Conway if tactically the manager may prevent us making a real challenge

We'll see what the summer brings but I hope we don't end up looking back on this season and seeing how achievable the playoffs were as a chance missed

More or less my thinking, question mark over the tactics, is he being held back? not sure if there is influence from somewhere

• Moderation Lead

For me it all depends on who we keep? I'd keep robbo, Dunn can surely be aided somehow (he played 3 back to back recently, so that's hopeful) but it will come down to finances in the end. I'm waiting till the 30th of june passes and we see who stays and who gets released.

I do want to see a change in the staff, football wise and fitness wise, what's Mike Phelan doing these days??? He'd be a great No. 2

Given his local origins, and preference of football team, I'd suggest it would be a cold day in a fictional warm place before he considered a move here....

Especially considering he was on circa £2Million p/a at Manure, so he won't need the brass.....

Which to be fair, no one has ever doubted.

Really? If memory serves there was plenty of doubters early on and as usual before they had even kicked a ball for us.

Would have been interesting to see if we'd have got this result if we'd have conceded first.

Why? We didnt so what is the point.

Given his local origins, and preference of football team, I'd suggest it would be a cold day in a fictional warm place before he considered a move here....

Especially considering he was on circa £2Million p/a at Manure, so he won't need the brass.....

We used to have a supporter who posted on here who had Mike Phelan as his best man at his wedding, I miss Kelbo, RIP mate.

A No. 2 costing 2M per year?

Expensive Kean

He's not working anywhere now so surely 100K a year is better than £70.00 a week on the dole.

Think big!!! That's the mantra we need these days

• Moderation Lead

We used to have a supporter who posted on here who had Mike Phelan as his best man at his wedding, I miss Kelbo, RIP mate.

A No. 2 costing 2M per year?

Expensive Kean

He's not working anywhere now so surely 100K a year is better than £70.00 a week on the dole.

Think big!!! That's the mantra we need these days

Yep, Fergie had their board over a barrel- I doubt Steve Round or Pip Nev are on anywhere near that remuneration!!

Not saying he wouldn't be a good no.2, far from it, I just doubt he'd come!!

Awful game for 60 minutes, two very ordinary sides. Another snatch of brilliance from JR. For once the opposition didn't fight back. They seemed resigned. Good work again from JR to win the free kick that led to the second goal. That killed it & we strolled it.

Conway is good at this level, Cairney my favourite, Rhodes a born poacher as we know, Rudy puts himself about, they do need to play closer to each other. Still felt it was more luck than judgement we won.

Nevertheless we needed a win, felt good walking away.

Sadly the Dingles want us to beat QPR and do them a favour, rock and hard place! Of course we should win.......look after ourselves......just hope the Loons keep their deep wallet open, and stay well away.

Awful game for 60 minutes, two very ordinary sides. Another snatch of brilliance from JR. For once the opposition didn't fight back. They seemed resigned. Good work again from JR to win the free kick that led to the second goal. That killed it & we strolled it.

Conway is good at this level, Cairney my favourite, Rhodes a born poacher as we know, Rudy puts himself about, they do need to play closer to each other. Still felt it was more luck than judgement we won.

Nevertheless we needed a win, felt good walking away.

Sadly the Dingles want us to beat QPR and do them a favour, rock and hard place! Of course we should win.......look after ourselves......just hope the Loons keep their deep wallet open, and stay well away.

The dingles are promoted anyway

Archived