BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

been an excellent open so far. Watched most of it and I've enjoyed. 

Sky Coverage has been excellent and very enjoyable

I've loved it too, especially being hosted by a fellow OB in Nick Dougherty! Really happy that he's carved his niche in Sky Sports after struggling on the tour. It makes a difference having an ex player interviewing, and he's absolutely sound as a pound.

Discovered the 'Open for the Ages' from last year on YouTube too, that's fun.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 13:42, oldjamfan1 said:

Louis Oosthuizen's form in the majors this year has been very good, he just doesn't seem able to close one out. Hovland is a good bet, as is Speith. But if I were to stick my neck out and pick a winner it would have to be Koepka. Even at 75% he has the game to win major tournaments. An incredible player.

Most of my guys did okay but well done to Morikawa, brilliant achievement to win two majors at the first time of asking. 

• 1 month later...

Probably the worst case scenario for Harrington today with both Wiesberger and Westwood qualifying automatically.  I was hoping we'd be able to get Lowry, Rose, Sergio and Poulter in the team. Despite his great history in the competition on current form you'd have to leave Poulter out from those 4.

As for the US team Stricker's pick's looking even more baffling after today, in leaving out Horschel and Na he has left out two players in great form. Their team looks as though it has been picked to try and overpower both Europe and the course.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Probably the worst case scenario for Harrington today with both Wiesberger and Westwood qualifying automatically.  I was hoping we'd be able to get Lowry, Rose, Sergio and Poulter in the team. Despite his great history in the competition on current form you'd have to leave Poulter out from those 4.

As for the US team Stricker's pick's looking even more baffling after today, in leaving out Horschel and Na he has left out two players in great form. Their team looks as though it has been picked to try and overpower both Europe and the course.

It's a very difficult decision. I'd be hoping Poulter doesn't qualify, but then taking him anyway as a mascot or something. He's infectious.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ryder Cup is a few days away. It's one of my favourite sporting events. It's always a good watch. 

The US captain gets to pick 6 of his 12, the European only 3. 

Here is a good BBC summary; Ryder Cup 2021: Format, schedule, teams and how to follow - BBC Sport

I'd have to favour the USA this time out. It's on US soil with very few European fans, and a strong US squad. 

However, the wild card is cohesion. The European lads tend to really get along, whereas the US have had issues in the past. This time out it's DeChambeau and Koepka. Can they put their differences behind them for the week? Stricker has his work cut out. 

Harrington has gone with experience. Westwood, Garcia, and Poulter are all at the tail end of their careers, but all know how to win Ryder Cups. Rahm is a talent, but can be wayward. I wonder if he and Garcia will be paired up?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The Ryder Cup is a few days away. It's one of my favourite sporting events. It's always a good watch. 

The US captain gets to pick 6 of his 12, the European only 3. 

Here is a good BBC summary; Ryder Cup 2021: Format, schedule, teams and how to follow - BBC Sport

I'd have to favour the USA this time out. It's on US soil with very few European fans, and a strong US squad. 

However, the wild card is cohesion. The European lads tend to really get along, whereas the US have had issues in the past. This time out it's DeChambeau and Koepka. Can they put their differences behind them for the week? Stricker has his work cut out. 

Harrington has gone with experience. Westwood, Garcia, and Poulter are all at the tail end of their careers, but all know how to win Ryder Cups. Rahm is a talent, but can be wayward. I wonder if he and Garcia will be paired up?

Europe are 2/1 to win on Skybet. That seems generous to me, for many of the reasons you have highlighted. Really looking forward to it and hope its a close contest as it is enthralling to watch the singles matches if it goes down to the wire.

• Like 1

Agree with both speedie and oldjamfan, I think Europe will get found out this time. Some of the older players are on the wane and McIIroy, despite all the hype, has not performed at the very top level for what seems like years. Home advantage, few European supporters attending and the USA captain getting 6 picks instead of 3 will work against us and I believe the USA players are on the up and are taking the Ryder Cup more seriously than they have done in the past. Some of our rookies may also get blown away by the big hitting Americans.

I think Stricker may prove to be a bit more canny than people think and Harrington has made a big mistake by letting his heart rule his head in picking Lowry over Justin Rose.  

10 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Agree with both speedie and oldjamfan, I think Europe will get found out this time. Some of the older players are on the wane and McIIroy, despite all the hype, has not performed at the very top level for what seems like years. Home advantage, few European supporters attending and the USA captain getting 6 picks instead of 3 will work against us and I believe the USA players are on the up and are taking the Ryder Cup more seriously than they have done in the past. Some of our rookies may also get blown away by the big hitting Americans.

I think Stricker may prove to be a bit more canny than people think and Harrington has made a big mistake by letting his heart rule his head in picking Lowry over Justin Rose.  

The USA have a much stronger team. They have 8 of the current world top 10; Official World Golf Ranking | PGA TOUR Stats

Stricker left out Patrick Reid. He is a very good golfer and has had his moments at prior Ryder Cups. I'm guessing that Stricker thought that Reid + DeChambeau + Koepka was too much but as Reid had had the poorer season he lost out.

DeChambeau should be an excellent partner in the foursomes. He'll whack the ball for miles and his partner will play a tidy short game.

McIlroy had a few years in the sun but now spends every tournament driving his way to oblivion. I can't see Hatton, Wiesberger, or even old hands Poulter and Westwood being able to overcome the USA's power. 

• Like 1

A tough first session. Rahm and Sergio complemented each other beautifully, Casey and Hovland played decently but were beaten by a very high quality performance from Johnson and Morikawa.

Fitzpatrick and Westwood seemed a strange pairing (especially in foursomes) and so it proved both looked what they are out of form players, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see either of them until Sunday. Poulter is another one who may well not been seen until Sunday he was never going to be the right pick on this course and in his current form, he's in the side due to former glories.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, den said:

Europe being booed onto first tee.

Not great, eh?

I don’t mind it. Americans are a strange bunch though. In sport there’s 2 chants I despise.  U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A and Yarkshire, Yarkshire, Yarkshire. Both make my teeth itch.

Ps. Does anyone know what all this shouting freedom is after every shot?

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

I don’t mind it. Americans are a strange bunch though. In sport there’s 2 chants I despise.  U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A and Yarkshire, Yarkshire, Yarkshire. Both make my teeth itch.

Ps. Does anyone know what all this shouting freedom is after every shot?

I'll guess that the freedom chant is Americans trying to be funny. A new take on the U-S-A one.

9D462400-4D12-4AFC-A0F9-675132DB106F.thumb.jpeg.9aa844befd3e17279fe1a71a37d85be3.jpeg

Where to start with that lot.  Eagle heads, American flag Jumpers, American dungarees, American bum bags and if that’s not enough draped in the yank flag.

I’d love to be there I suspect they’re the country equivalent of Yorkshire.  Fanatically proud yet deeply insecure and unable to take any insults.

5 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

A tough first session. Rahm and Sergio complemented each other beautifully, Casey and Hovland played decently but were beaten by a very high quality performance from Johnson and Morikawa.

Fitzpatrick and Westwood seemed a strange pairing (especially in foursomes) and so it proved both looked what they are out of form players, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see either of them until Sunday. Poulter is another one who may well not been seen until Sunday he was never going to be the right pick on this course and in his current form, he's in the side due to former glories.

He's picked the team based on sentimentality. 

Harrington put his faith in experience and it has badly let him down. McIlroy and Casey sent out twice and hardly holed a thing between them, it was also a very strange decision to put 2 rookies out with Casey. Poulter a captains pick just doesn't have the game for this course. Westwood who only qualified thanks to Harrington opting for just 3 picks looked like an old man up against this young long hitting US team. This could well be all but over by tea time tomorrow.

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

9D462400-4D12-4AFC-A0F9-675132DB106F.thumb.jpeg.9aa844befd3e17279fe1a71a37d85be3.jpeg

Where to start with that lot.  Eagle heads, American flag Jumpers, American dungarees, American bum bags and if that’s not enough draped in the yank flag.

I’d love to be there I suspect they’re the country equivalent of Yorkshire.  Fanatically proud yet deeply insecure and unable to take any insults.

Trump supporters

US heading for a big win; glad I'm not there

If there's one thing the US hates, it's losing at golf. I was at the Belfry on the last day when Christy O'Connor hit his miraculous shot across the water on the 18th. Concorde then flew over as Europe celebrated and a lot of grumpy Americans stomped away from the course

😄

Very strange pairings again this morning from Harrington, so far his captaincy is down there with Faldo's in terms of selection and attitude. Surprised to see Casey in after two lethargic showings yesterday let's hope Hatton can liven him up a bit at least Hatton has a bit of fight and fire in him. Stunned to see Fitzpatrick and Westwood out again especially together also very surprised that Fleetwood and Lowry won't play any foursomes, Fleetwood was 2-0 in foursomes last time out and I think foursomes would Lowry's game nicely.