BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Open Letter From Venky's

Reading the posts in this thread just shows how much the supporters are divided, (because of the "owners")

Putting that statement out probably hurt the Rao's more than the money they have lost,

no consolation to the Rovers though.

So is it an admission or PR stunt ?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If venky's really want to get the fans onside they need to release a full and descriptive explanation as to what happened during their first two years or so. Why were so many mistakes made? Why did every decision seem to be to the detriment of the club? Why was every decent man at the club allowed to leave or fired? Why was Steve Kean tolerated for so long, even when it was obvious he wasn't up to the job? Why was our boardroom decimated and left that way for so long? Why were our best players sold and replaced with inferior players despite the club insisting they wanted European football? What was the exact nature of the relationship with SEM, Kentaro and Jerome Anderson? Why did we sign so many random portuguese players in our first season in the Championship that were of no use to us? Why are they still employing a man they said had "gone rogue" in court?

I could go on and on, but the reality is a vague two paragraph letter PR letter does not erase the questions and doubts I have. Something seriously shifty went on at our club during the first couple of years of Venky's ownership, and as a result of that we've been reduced from a mid-table Premier League team to a mid-table Championship team saddled with massive, increasing debt and some players still on unjustifiably excessive wages. I'm not going to forgive the people who have plunged this club into the abyss until they fully explain the events of the past few years and provide a plan that will ensure the weight of our finances don't crush us over the next few seasons should we fail to get promoted.

I have to ask , what exactly would that achieve?. It`s not going to turn the clock back. To heal a wound you cannot keep picking at the scab. We are now a championship club........the only thing that is going to put us back in the prem is the team and how they are playing. Whilst we have lost being hosts to all the top teams in top tier football, we as individuals are not financially paying for mistakes made, they are.We are in debt, but so to are the majority of other clubs. As far as what has happened over the last few years, we will never know the full story, just as we will never know what happens behind closed doors in the house of commons I guess its like choosing between if you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond, neither options are particularly desirable. Football is screwed for all of the smaller clubs, the only chance any of them have of success is a cheeky win of the FA cup or similar.We are and will always be the last small team to win the Prem unless there are massive changes.

Egyptian Pete.

Nobody is or has berated anyone for going to support the Rovers. If you can find any evidence I will retract the statement.

People may berate others regarding the owners though with plenty of argueing on both sides but if berating is happening regarding team support it is those who attend that aim it towards those who currently do not.

Okay i mean no offence, so let me rephrase, if fans are being called Rovers Fans, venky lovers etc from fellow posters, and there is lots of that evidence (and I am not a venky lover), then i would call that a kind of berating wouldn't you. anyway not to dwell, this thread is about the open letter, we either choose to tear it to pieces, or take it for what it is, everyone has an opinion and that's democracy.

So twice makes it every day then?.... Just a general observation, and I think you'll find I'm not alone in my views.

If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore :tu:

Twice? I don't think so!

Ok I suppose its a start. An acknowledgement they have made mistakes.

In some ways its a sign that things are being done differently at the club than the first few horrendous years.

They have recently been employing people more experienced in football clubs. There is no doubt that this is PR from our new comms guy, but it also means that on the surface they are listening to people they employ.

They are letting Bowyer get on with the football side. There does now seem to be no in fighting between management, no dodgy advisors (well that does appear to be the case).

With the financial mess they have created there does seem now to be an attempt to get rid of a lot of the high earners who weren't contributing over the previous season (after the previous bold one got rid of all the high earners who were contributing or capable of contributing but saw through the bold one). Bowyer has chosen in the main to go down the path of getting younger players on much lower wages - a good number have been decent but with this approach you will always get some who prove not quite good enough and we will see those depart this summer no doubt.

This does mean in theory that the losses we are making will reduce as we see a number of the players hopefully go that Bowyer deems surplus (its quite shocking when you actually look at the list of players we have on our books including the ones we loaned out)

Of course the elephant in the room is the financial mess the club is in. We cant tell how much a difference its making getting the high earners off the books and importantly we don't know how many of them can be got off the books this summer.

How are they going to service the massive debt? What happens if and when ffp kicks in - possibly this January with an embargo on signing players.

Is the only way out of the mess promotion? Just one year in the prem would be enough to clear the mess - even if we get relegated the increased size of the payments would be enough. What happens if we don't get promoted which as we all know is bloody tough in this league - yes we look in a better position team wise than we did at the start of last season - even with the same playing staff but a bit better luck injury wise in theory that would mean at least play offs.

Until we have a better understanding of the financial mess the club is in and how they plan to deal with it then I like many will be reserved with my optimism.

I do though like and rate Bowyer. For me he seems to know the type of players character wise and it appears quality wise as well, to build a team in this league. Yes tactically he has a lot to learn but for me he knows the 1st team he wants to put out when everyone is fit and its one capable at least of a play off position. IF (big if) at lot of the players he wont use are moved on along with a few he did sign who didn't quite work (though they at least tried and worked hard to succeed) and that allows him to get a few more in this summer then we may have a chance of promotion. Which on paper it seems is the only way out of the mess.

Great post this and one of the best ive on here in recent months.

Well thoughtful and good points made

I think you're missing the point. Neither the Walker Trust nor the The W@nkys Were/are under any obligation to keep we, the fans apprised of their intentions or indeed deal in"specifics" simply for the benefit of the disgruntled. like it or not(and many of us don't!) it is their business and as such can run it how they see fit.

I never said they were obliged to, my point is that I feel they should tell the truth if they want anything like redemption. Clearly reading some of the posts on here quite a few are prepared to offer them redemption - I am not. Anyway we are going round in circles, you have your opinion and I have mine so we are both wasting our time replying to each other.

There's no apology there for anything they have done, just (1) an apology that they haven't done better, along with (2) an admittance that they've made mistakes. Which is fair enough.

I'm less impressed with (1) and more pleased with (2).

It's a step. Even if Myers has written it, it must have been bought off by the Raos - or he can expect his P45 by the end of the day.

Even if it's a PR stunt, it does at least suggest that we are not going to go to the wall over the Summer.

That'll do for now.

At the very least, it's got us posting (whether agreeing or disagreeing) about something of substance so for that I'm grateful. Can we just leave it out with the comments of "I knew even if they apologised some people wouldn't accept it", it adds nothing. We will all have different views on this one - it is very emotive - and there will be those who have consistently said an apology would change nothing.

I wouldn't count on droves IbizaRover

After having a season ticket for 23 years (price, division or playing style was never a factor) I stopped going after the Bolton home 'kean out' debacle and haven't been back. That anger still hasn't fully abated. I still want Rovers to do well and win and spend Saturdays checking the scores whenever I can get a signal in the wilds, but I have no inclination to attend Ewood whilst the loons are there. They took the p*ss out of me for too long so I decided never to give them a penny again. I'd like to think I'm someone who sticks to his guns.

I've turned down free tickets to every dingle derby since (I never thought I'd ever think that fixture was one I'd least like to attend again but it is) and I won't be back until we have new owners. I've found other enjoyable things to do on a saturday than watch Rovers 'maybe' not defend like idiots or see Jason Lowe embarrass himself (one to flame the lovers). Promotion would be nice for the club and the fans but whilst 'they' are there the club will always be tainted for me. I feel sorry for the father in law. He got the Rovers bug in his retirement and still goes on his own. I know he misses our pre and post match sessions in the Navvy and Station but the football started to feel like it got in the way of a nice day in the pub. It's sad but there you go

If you are no longer supporting Rovers why are you all over this site? Another who criticises without having watched.

• Backroom

I have to ask , what exactly would that achieve?. It`s not going to turn the clock back. To heal a wound you cannot keep picking at the scab. We are now a championship club........the only thing that is going to put us back in the prem is the team and how they are playing. Whilst we have lost being hosts to all the top teams in top tier football, we as individuals are not financially paying for mistakes made, they are.We are in debt, but so to are the majority of other clubs. As far as what has happened over the last few years, we will never know the full story, just as we will never know what happens behind closed doors in the house of commons I guess its like choosing between if you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond, neither options are particularly desirable. Football is screwed for all of the smaller clubs, the only chance any of them have of success is a cheeky win of the FA cup or similar.We are and will always be the last small team to win the Prem unless there are massive changes.

It's all about trust. Plenty of people do not trust Venky's precisely because of all of the questions that surround their first few years of ownership and the state it has put the club in. This PR piece is not going to bring back those who feel Venky's have willingly destroyed the club. Perhaps if they offer some kind of explanation rather than sweep it under the carpet it may pull a few people back?

If they did come clean with a full explanation, then it will be plain to see that they are either:

- Stupid beyond belief

- Up to dodgy dealings.

Either way, they wouldn't be suitable owners for the club, so nothing would change apart from we'd know the truth.

I'm happy some fans have found their mojo. We are not all the same. I've not been boggle eyed and mad but stated my opinion. I hope the team does well this season but I have my reservations.

But it seem hypocrisy is the order of the day as I am sure I read "certain posters" denegrating the profligation of shouting down others and using short sharp sarcastic one liners.

If we are discussing old chestuts It also seems that we are back to that old territory of "only those who attend can offer an opinion"

Seems the Rao's are alone in having to practice what they preach

It may be an old chestnut but I fail to see how anybody can comment on what they have not seen. Rovers are on TV so little these days that you can not form an opinion from that.

Is that so unreasonable? I don't believe that it is.

It may be an old chestnut but I fail to see how anybody can comment on what they have not seen. Rovers are on TV so little these days that you can not form an opinion from that.

Is that so unreasonable? I don't believe that it is.

From "Pillock to private school" I agree pal. If boycotting your seat- you can still have a love and interest for the club but you can forget having a solid fact based opinion on how they've played.

I missed tonnes of games in 2011/12 because of feeling like Shaun did- but I wouldn't have the audacity to comment on those games I havent seen.

Yes Shaun, your welcome to your views on general stuff- but the minute you come in here throwing negative nonsense about stuff you haven't seen first hand- your out of line.

Using that as a stick to beat the notion that the owners are "happy with GBs work" makes your content pitiful in my eyes.

I kind of get both sides of people's arguments here. Yes, it has obviously been penned by someone else (more than likely Myers) but they have at least put their name to it!

As others have said, for a race who will not appologise lightly, it's a step in the right direction IMO. Is it a little late? Yes. Is it missing a lot of detail? Yes, but it's a start, so lets at least give them a tiny amount of credit.

It would've been fantastic if they'd specifically mentioned the roles which we all know Coco and the Tantric one had to play, but lets face it, that would've only ended up in court and once again BRFC would be in the media for the wrong reasons. I also think that whilst pivotal in what has gone on, I bet there's very little documented evidence of any actual wrong-doing and it'd be their word against the charlatons.

They do at least seem to be attempting to put things right and are still footing a very costly mistake when they could've cut & run.

I'm a little shocked, It's not perfect, but it's a start & I for one am encouraged by it. (Not happy by any means, but encouraged)

Now let's do what's really important, get behind the guys in the famous blue & white halves next season!

If you are no longer supporting Rovers why are you all over this site? Another who criticises without having watched.

So to support is only to go? What of the thousands who live great distances but contribute by buying merchandise? Should they sit idle and quiet and never express an opinion? Are they not supporters?

Who are you to tell people what they can have an opinion on and what parameters they have to follow in order to express that opinion?

I very rarely see Hollyoaks but I know enough to know it's crap.

Its a very very narrow minded opinion that you have but one I have seen you express many times before.

No wonder not many, as they are referred to as boycotters, don't stick their head above the pharapet.

I regard it as your problem not mine ;) If it bugs you put me on ignore because I'm sure as hell not going anywhere. I saw enough on TV to garner the opinion that the squad and manager were not quite good enough to get us to where we really needed to be and in the end I was proven right. Hopefully mistakes have been learned and the team can continue their great form and propel us back to the top flight next season.

So to support is only to go? What of the thousands who live great distances but contribute by buying merchandise? Should they sit idle and quiet and never express an opinion? Are they not supporters?

Who are you to tell people what they can have an opinion on and what parameters they have to follow in order to express that opinion?

I very rarely see Hollyoaks but I know enough to know it's crap.

Its a very very narrow minded opinion that you have but one I have seen you express many times before.

I regard it as your problem not mine ;) If it bugs you put me on ignore because I'm sure as hell not going anywhere

It's 1 thing giving support and opinion, it's another thing slagging off something you haven't seen. Basing your opinions on others and playing it out like your own. Then using "your opinion" to slag off the owners positive comments about the season. All looks like a waste of time to me!

I did make another post but seems to have disappeared?

One thing for stay away Rovers fans to ponder - the lack of income from match day sales (amongst other things) will be the reason we fail FFP rules, rather than money coming from the Rao family (yes they are the reason we are in this position - but the reality is that stay away fans will impact our chances of getting back to the Premiership. So, for me, I am happy that they are making moves to entice fans back to Ewood - lets hope that the ST package remains attractive.

Blame the fans, unbelievable!

the fans, stay away or not, are not responsible for over spending, which is the reason we will fail FFP rules.

Who controls the spending ?

Blame the fans, unbelievable!

the fans, stay away or not, are not responsible for over spending, which is the reason we will fail FFP rules.

Who controls the spending ?

Do you mean now or the guys who started the fire?

Once again JB you are waving the wrong stick. I have seen enough in all the live games and heard enough from live radio where professionals are paid to describe the action (both sources are hardly anti-rovers) to forumlate and express a valid opinion. And one I will give whenever I damn well like. If it bugs the 'superfans' then so be it.

DMTP - If you think the money from tickets is stopping us from getting promoted then I despair.

I regard it as your problem not mine ;) If it bugs you put me on ignore because I'm sure as hell not going anywhere. I saw enough on TV to garner the opinion that the squad and manager were not quite good enough to get us to where we really needed to be and in the end I was proven right. Hopefully mistakes have been learned and the team can continue their great form and propel us back to the top flight next season.

On the contrary, I think by the end we where looking like a team that should easily be in the top 6, but it was to late by that point.

On the contrary, I think by the end of the season we where looking like a team that should easily bein the top 6, but it was to late by that point.

Im sure many of those supporters that live 100s or 1000s of miled away would attend games if they could, how far away do you live.

I think that is why the tactics got questioned so much

I think you're missing the point. Neither the Walker Trust nor the The W@nkys Were/are under any obligation to keep we, the fans apprised of their intentions or indeed deal in"specifics" simply for the benefit of the disgruntled. like it or not(and many of us don't!) it is their business and as such can run it how they see fit.

But this is a vastly different context than the one in which the Walker Trust were managing.

The" new "ownership has been a catastrophe from day one. The golden thread has been cut. So much damage has been done....Agents, Agnew, Kean, player revolt,relegation,Singh, suicide signings Berg, Appleton, huge debts, national ridicule, supporter disillusionment etc.

Some explanation is necessary.to re-engage stakeholders and build for the future.

On the contrary, I think by the end we where looking like a team that should easily be in the top 6, but it was to late by that point.

I agree and hopefully it will continue but the previous 38 matches are still knawing away. Time will tell

I think that is why the tactics got questioned so much

I think the biggest factor as to why wr weren't really challenging was because of all the ins&outs in the squad(through transfers and injuries) I think even with bowyers predictable tactics we still would have been challaging more if we had a settled 1st team all season(look at Burnley, most of there players are crud and dyche is no master tactician but they had a settled highly motivated squad)

Archived