BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

From leaving Spurs, Sherwood was kicking his heels for 10 months or so. Who says he wouldn't have come here for the right assurances and control. No one thought that King Kenny would ever have come to Ewood.

This again. It's already been explained that Shebby Singh went all out to appoint Sherwood. He used Rovers to flush out interest from Premier League clubs. Sherwood didn't want to know.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This again. It's already been explained that Shebby Singh went all out to appoint Sherwood. He used Rovers to flush out interest from Premier League clubs. Sherwood didn't want to know.

If you count half hearted, can't be arsed dancing round the handbags approach !

Anyhow, who in their right mind would be enticed by either Shebby or Shaw - maybe some Aussie half wit !

exactly Chris.

don't know how many times we have to go over this.

Sherwood isn't coming here.

exactly Chris.

don't know how many times we have to go over this.

Sherwood isn't coming here.

FFS Chaddy, our recruitment was a shambles. Anyone sensible would have run a mile. It's how we ended up with Berg & Appleton !

If you count half hearted, can't be arsed dancing round the handbags approach !

Anyhow, who in their right mind would be enticed by either Shebby or Shaw - maybe some Aussie half wit !

That info came from Kammy who said that the club went all out for Sherwood there was nothing half hearted about Rovers approach.

What is it with you and the place that I choose to live? You seem a bit xenophobic.

Accept it, you're wrong about Sherwood .........and Coyle and Freedman and Rosler and so many other things.

Chaddy I think he got Brentford on the brink of promotion which is as good as

He left Brentford for Wigan on 7th December. hardly took them to the brink of promotion did he?

FFS Chaddy, our recruitment was a shambles. Anyone sensible would have run a mile. It's how we ended up with Berg & Appleton !

Mercerman, Sherwood has his chance to manage Rovers and twice turned it down. would I have gone back a 3rd time to ask him? NOT a chance.

not saying Berg or Appleton were the right appointments. but Berg is doing very good in Poland at Legia Warsaw.

I think they was a number of candidates who we could have appointed after Kean but Shebby, Shaw and Agnew messed it all up.

He left Brentford for Wigan on 7th December. hardly took them to the brink of promotion did he?

Mercerman, Sherwood has his chance to manage Rovers and twice turned it down. would I have gone back a 3rd time to ask him? NOT a chance.

not saying Berg or Appleton were the right appointments. but Berg is doing very good in Poland at Legia Warsaw.

I think they was a number of candidates who we could have appointed after Kean but Shebby, Shaw and Agnew messed it all up.

You say this like it is fact. We don't know exactly what was said but as MM has said we had a basket case of a boardroom set up, with warring executives.

That ship has sailed barring a drop off at Villa - in which case he will be available for an ambitious Championship club. (So still not us!)

You say this like it is fact. We don't know exactly what was said but as MM has said we had a basket case of a boardroom set up, with warring executives.

That ship has sailed barring a drop off at Villa - in which case he will be available for an ambitious Championship club. (So still not us!)

Kamy has posted about Sherwood and the way he made Rovers wait twice when Shebby want him as Rovers manager. He had his chance.

I must say most things about Brentford impressed me when I watched them here. Lots of ingenuity, invention and application. I don't know much about him but he'd be on my list to interview should the need arise.

and me, they were excellent, moved the ball around quickly and were always on the front foot. I thought they were a bit iffy at the back but that could have been more to do with the personnel Warburton had available to him. If he could replicate that kind of football at Ewood i don't think many regulars would be complaining...even if he didn't get us up.

From leaving Spurs, Sherwood was kicking his heels for 10 months or so. Who says he wouldn't have come here for the right assurances and control. No one thought that King Kenny would ever have come to Ewood.

You want a new manager then you advertise and see who applies. Rovers can offer superb training facilities, a modern stadium, a club steeped in history. I am sure there will be no shortage of quality applicants. Who would I go for, well depends who's interested ! Rest assured, there is another Dyche, Howe or even Alex Neil out there. We are a club who appointed the likes of Furphy, Lee, Smith and Kendall who all proved successful and moved on to arguably bigger things.

As for those managers of 'mine' who've bombed - Freedman did a job and half at Palace and will come again, Coyle was always tongue in cheek but having said that, did take Burnley up on a shoe string and Rosler didn't work out at Wigan though did excellently at Brtentford. Having said that, I'd take all three over Bowyer.

Rovers need to be brave and bold. If Bowyer is the answer then I sure as hell don't know what the question is.

we weren't £100m in debt and under an embargo when King Kenny was appointed. comparing the two situations is a nonsense.

Bowyer was the answer to 'we're going to League 1 and if we do there's a chance of administration and a points deduction and straight to league 2 - please help'.

That situation doesn't apply anymore thanks to Bowyer. Maybe now is the time to employ someone who can take us to the next level, maybe it's not until the embargo is lifted -who knows. However, it's reassuring to know that you think everything is a lot better behind the scenes and that the recruitment process will be as smooth and as professional as back in the 70's, 80's and 90's - whilst managing to ignore that massive elephant in the room called Venky's and their nodding Nobber dog back at Ewood.

Strange how he's both a nodding dog and rogue at the same time. Only under venkys.

Whole issue of who should replace bowyer is a nonsense. I can't see bowyer leaving unless we're stuck in the bottom three.

difficult to predict next twelve months for this club, but Rhodesand ggesturegoing and rovers adrift of safety come nNovember time would be the nightmare scenario. Venkys panic, bin bowyer and appoint someone worse and we're down by early April

nothing like a bit of positive

thinking, eh?

Won't be any different this time around either.

It's interesting that under such a structure, the manager would still carry the can. At what point would the "Director of Football" or whatever title be held accountable?

Ordinarily a manager would set out the type of football they intend to play in order to get the necessary results from the players available. Under such a structure (e.g. Southampton or Swansea), is sounds like the club set out the philosophy for the kind of football they will play and organise everyone at the club to deliver that same goal, scouting, recruitment, development, academy. The manager would then have to be of a similar ilk and simply be a great motivator and man-manager of egos in the first team. I guess that will work when you have plenty of money to throw at it, simply because they can afford to be very choosy about the type of manager they want. I guess they can also afford to be relegated so that they can stick to their principles. The game changer for that might be when a Swansea or a Southampton are faced with relegation and the spectre of FFP means that they can no longer just throw owner cash at it.

All that said, FFP is starting to seem like something that can be easily worked around if people have the will to do so.

It works fine over here. First thing that strikes me in both baseball and ice hockey (the two sports I follow) is that turnover of managers/Head Coaches is much less - people get several years - but then there is no relegation.

In most cases the GM also hires the coach, so if he thinks the squad isn't performing, he'll change the coach. Other times the President of the club will fire the GM (and usually the coach) if he decides the squad is in fact rubbish and needs a reboot; the Maple Leafs President did just that, fired pretty much everyone.

I think FFP demands a complete relook at how things are done. It certainly makes no sense to me to carry on as though it hadn't happened and have the incumbent complain endlessly about it.

That info came from Kammy who said that the club went all out for Sherwood there was nothing half hearted about Rovers approach.

What is it with you and the place that I choose to live? You seem a bit xenophobic.

Accept it, you're wrong about Sherwood .........and Coyle and Freedman and Rosler and so many other things.

IMV, approach for Sherwood was half hearted and botched and I am very confident about that understanding, irrespective of what Kamy might have said.

Was he interested, of course he was otherwise he wouldn't have turned up.

Ewood staff motto

'Pay offs not play offs'

That's very good. :)

And probably true. :(

IMV, approach for Sherwood was half hearted and botched and I am very confident about that understanding.

I share that view Eminem.

Firstly, I was asking Mercerman who he would appoint.

secondly, Rosler does not have promotion on his CV. who did he get promote? Warburton took Brentford up. not Rosler.

Yes, but you were asking in a no-one will takeit/no one better out there kind of way. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and apologies if I am, but whilst you seem to be negative about Sherwood (not coming) and Freedman (bad at Bolton) you do seem to ignore the arguments for the myriad of positive potential candidates up there.

Thanks for correcting me with Rosler - he did do well with Brentford though. Regardless the point still stands - MCDermott, Adkins, Warburton, Greyson and that's without thorough investigation. To say and think Bowyer is the best out there - even with our rapidly sinking ship - is a myth. It's part of what makes supporting rovers all the more frustrating.

IMV, approach for Sherwood was half hearted and botched and I am very confident about that understanding, irrespective of what Kamy might have said.

Turning up admittedly indicates interest but I don't suppose he had much to lose at the time or much to do given that he was out of work. Apparently, he was asked twice and on both occasions he wasnt sufficiently 'interested'.

I'll pass on your confidence in your understanding. You have form.

Turning up admittedly indicates interest but I don't suppose he had much to lose at the time or much to do given that he was out of work. Apparently, he was asked twice and on both occasions he wasnt sufficiently 'interested'.

I'll pass on your confidence in your understanding. You have form.

Oh well, we've moved from no chance that Sherwood would ever have come to Rovers as manager !

IMV, if 'everything had been right' (Sherwood wanted the right assurances over what he would control), Sherwood would have accepted the job.

I couldn't give a monkey's whether you accept that or not. One day, when the time is right, I will share with you why I believe that.

The approach from Sherwood was not half hearted, although with Shebby leading the charge for him I can see it would be flawed and botched. Sherwood was offered a great financial package by Shebby et al but he was never really interested in taking the job, he used the approach by Rovers to strengthen his position at Spurs.

The main reason that he turned down Rovers and a whole host of Championship clubs is that he felt that he would get a Premier League job, he strategically picked Villa because it is a win win situation for him. If they went down he could say that there wasn't enough time to keep them up, if he keeps them up he would further his reputation.

The approach from Sherwood was not half hearted, although with Shebby leading the charge for him I can see it would be flawed and botched. Sherwood was offered a great financial package by Shebby et al but he was never really interested in taking the job, he used the approach by Rovers to strengthen his position at Spurs.

The main reason that he turned down Rovers and a whole host of Championship clubs is that he felt that he would get a Premier League job, he strategically picked Villa because it is a win win situation for him. If they went down he could say that there wasn't enough time to keep them up, if he keeps them up he would further his reputation.

Hold on a second, you have missed a great chunk of time there from Sherwood 'strengthening his Spurs' position' to accepting the Villa job (approx. 18 months). We had further opportunity to land Sherwood.

As I said, he didn't get the right assurances - that's the bottom line !

you maybe have a point

Firstly, I was asking Mercerman who he would appoint.

secondly, Rosler does not have promotion on his CV. who did he get promote? Warburton took Brentford up. not Rosler.

They missed out on the final day to Doncaster in a mad 3 minutes injury time then lost to Swindon in the play offs... Rosler then went to Wigan got them to Wembley the semi v arsenal losing on penalties after extra time and got em into the play offs.. Er can Boring Bowyer match that.. NO

Sherwood wouldn't let anyone supply the players he wanted control of transfers not supplied

Archived