BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't need reasons just a published plan of how we are going to get out of the utter utter shambolic mess

They’ve been here for around 5yrs, we've had no sight nor sound of a plan because they haven’t got one.

Who would you appoint Chaddy?

Very tough question. whoever we would appoint as manager if Bowyer was to leave(which I'm not in favour off) would have a very difficult job with an embargo and very likely to lose Rhodes and Gestede or at least 1 of them.

Would be looking for Manager who can develop young players and good at free transfer signings.

Have a day off man!

The bit in bold goes for other posters who've chatted utter rubbish acting like insiders for years as well.

I'll have as many or few days off as I please thanks. So will Chaddy I imagine.

As for the second bit, its wasted on me. I have no insider knowledge and never claimed any

Very tough question. whoever we would appoint as manager if Bowyer was to leave(which I'm not in favour off) would have a very difficult job with an embargo and very likely to lose Rhodes and Gestede or at least 1 of them.

Would be looking for Manager who can develop young players and good at free transfer signings.

Any names? Other than Bowyer of course who doesn't fit your criteria!

Not speaking for Chaddy here but anyone looking at Wigans plight this season could be forgiven for changing their minds on the managerial situation. A well run club that's changed managers twice and is looking like is heading down.

Both managers strongly touted on here in the past as successors to Bowyer might I add.

I think it highlights that once the rot has truly set in at a club it often takes someone from the inside to step in and halt the slide and stabilise it. We've seen it here plenty times with Parkes now GB and it's been done many times around the country in terms of a coach becoming a brief caretaker. Who knows what would have happened to them had Whelan put someone from inside in charge for a few months ? The pressure was on to go straight back up so whoever came in was supposed to turn it straight around but we know it doesn't work like that.

If either of their previous 2 had gone in after someone had sorted the mess Coyle created and they had a base to build from they may have done ok. We have that base now largely thanks to Bowyer so it's a bit different to the Wigan scenario.

The second point is a difficult one Chaddy, - I don't think there are any.

All this just illustrates how very important it was, that we went for the best manager we could attract. We're facing the consequences of that decision now.

Not speaking for Chaddy here but anyone looking at Wigans plight this season could be forgiven for changing their minds on the managerial situation. A well run club that's changed managers twice and is looking like is heading down.

Both managers strongly touted on here in the past as successors to Bowyer might I add.

It's a valid point, GAV. Every managerial change is a spin of the roulette wheel and the key is knowing when to gamble and when not. If it wasn't for the fact we have unserviceable levels of debt and find ourselves hog-tied by FFP, then I suspect more people would be willing to afford Bowyer more time. As it is, these fans recognise that imminent promotion to the Premier League is the only way we can tackle the financial burden without dropping to the lower echelons of league football like Pompey & Coventry. While on the other side of the fence we have fans who, owing to Venky's notorious track record of hiring duds, would be loath to replace Bowyer lest it undo the steadying influence he has brought here and expedite our demise. It's worthwhile to note that the common denominator between both camps is fear.

It's a valid point, GAV. Every managerial change is a spin of the roulette wheel and the key is knowing when to gamble and when not. If it wasn't for the fact we have unserviceable levels of debt and find ourselves hog-tied by FFP, then I suspect more people would be willing to afford Bowyer more time. As it is, these fans recognise that imminent promotion to the Premier League is the only way we can tackle the financial burden without dropping to the lower echelons of league football like Pompey & Coventry. While on the other side of the fence we have fans who, owing to Venky's notorious track record of hiring duds, would be loath to replace Bowyer lest it undo the steadying influence he has brought here and expedite our demise. It's worthwhile to note that the common denominator between both camps is fear.

Sums it up really.

First thing you do is to 'advertise' and see who comes forward.

Would be foolish to dive in until you knew who the runners and riders were.

There would be a long queue and virtually everyone in that queue would be a better option than Bowyer.

How many times do different people have to answer Chaddy's standard defence of Bowyer "Who would you appoint".

If we don't get up, and we are 2 seasons overdue, then we are financially snookered.

Bowyer wont get us up therefore where do we go from here.

Sadly, it's the manager will make or break our club.

More than once - go and look through the history books !

Your financial illiteracy is just part of your intellectual vacuity.

As are your predictions of us going bust unless we get promoted, need to sell Rhodes for 3 million as they are skint etc

You have no idea how long Venky's will fund the club and neither do I

Don't really post on here anymore but thought i'd share this... Heard Gallagher (preston) has said that Grayson could be going Rovers as Bowyer could be surprisingly going to Derby... Grayson and Shaw are mates apparently.

Don't really post on here anymore but thought i'd share this... Heard Gallagher (preston) has said that Grayson could be going Rovers as Bowyer could be surprisingly going to Derby... Grayson and Shaw are mates apparently.

Good to see you posting again Neal, but please post something more realistic next time out :tu:

How many times do different people have to answer Chaddy's standard defence of Bowyer "Who would you appoint".

Same number of times you reference his name in your posts Al :tu:

It might have some legs with the Shaw connection, no doubt he'd be lovingly compensating his former employers. I think if Bowyer was going anywhere like that it'd be as a coach or youth team boss. It is nearly time for the silly rumour season though. Place yer bets........

Actually if they come up Preston and Grayson have a better shot at the play offs than us so I doubt he'd move. They'll be getting bigger gates for the first time in decades anyway.

And a worse one too! :lol:

tbh I admit that I am uninformed..... unfortunately the vast majority don't as they post load after load of speculative shyte and then metaphorically stand back and attempt to defend their work of fiction from any criticism. tbh I believe many end up actually believing it. :rolleyes:

Who has a worst record than Bowyer out of the candidates I mentioned?

What's work of fiction about stating the managers listed had better records than Bowyer? All of that can be backed up with facts. Or do promotions not count? Granted we don't know whether they would come, but given how many mangers are out of work, and go to work for all sort of crackpot owners, it's not unreasonable to think that we could well appoint them. It's hardly wild speculation, and just as speculative - in fact arguably more so - to suggest some of these managers wouldn't be interested.

Would love this to be true: 3 promotions, worked under barmy owners, knows the club. Ok, he may only get it due to the PNE connection, but if true the chimp has typed the works of Shakespeare, and we'd appoint someone who has success as a manager.

I don't for one second believe that rumour, but I'll play along.

There are a few things I would be interested to know though. If the above story is correct, and those moves happen this summer:

a) How would Bowyer being a failure and not good enough for us tie in with Derby County pursuing his services? Would people just try to ignore that a club seeking promotion and in a better state than us wanted our manager? Or would people accept that perhaps Bowyer gets the recognition from other clubs for the job he has done here? Would it not make some people think twice about wanting Bowyer out?

B) How would people react if the only reason Grayson got the job was due to his PNE connections and friendship with Shaw? Given that numerous other employees across the club have been slated repeatedly on this website having got their jobs at the club, would Grayson be treated with the same level of suspicion before he even started the job?

c) What has Grayson done AT THIS LEVEL to suggest he would be better than Bowyer? Getting the likes of Leeds United, Huddersfield and Preston out of the third division with their immense resources at that level is different to getting a mid-table side promoted to the Premier League with no money. He's been sacked from his last two jobs in this division with both Leeds and Huddersfield in the bottom half of the table.

I'm not saying he would be a bad choice, I just think that as usual double standards apply.

There is no chance of A. I'll stand you a bet on it right now :)

As for Grayson in all honesty I'm not a big fan and I'm not sure he could do much more than Bowyer has done with Gaz's squad. From bits I've heard from Leeds and Preston fans he tends to get similar things aimed at him that GB does. Likes a draw etc.

The other side of the coin though is he probably wouldn't do any worse so he'd be a safe gamble. I'd also most certainly view him as a deggsy puppet and expect the spectacled one to tighten his hold on the club and increase his pocket filling ambitions. Sadly that'll never change in my eyes whilst he's here.

It's worthwhile to note that the common denominator between both camps is fear.

So basically your saying that any one of the opinion that this discussion is pointless must be scared of change?

I'd have to ask, does it have to be so black and white?

Why is a different opinion to yours just fear? That's spin.

To show what I mean, couldn't (by the same token of your argument) I just say that a short memory is the common denominator in this difference of view point?

We know how the current owners operate the club. Why on earth does that not come into this discussion enough?

If I was the owner in this exact climate- I'd change the manager if I could get someone like Sam Allardyce. An astute proven manager at this level and beyond.

Unfortunately- I am not the owner. If I have to create an opinion, I'm going to use reality to form its basis. Reality, to me says even naming managers as potential successors is churlish.

Who here could have guessed who would have got the job after each sacking under the Rao dynasty...? Not one person. When Ince got sacked, I'm pretty sure SA was favourite at the bookies from day 1.

That difference is REAL, not fear. It's not by chance this club now hires people with no experience. To me at least, it's because of this the football manager is a secondary concern to an ownership that continues to ignore fans and haemorrhage club cash due to mismanagement.

It's not fear. It's an opinion formed on what one sees and feels. Replacing Gary Bowyer is not even worth discussion IMVHO.

Discussing GBs pros and cons is a different thing all together. If posters could step away from the "change" mentality and see a wider picture- GB has several plusses and minuses which make his very near future difficult to predict.

Archived