BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that's a good or bad philosophy?

I've always been against it but I must admit that I'm finding myself drawn to it more and more. I think sufficient clubs abroad have proved that it can work if implemented with care and as long as everyone is on the same page. When the average tenure of a Championship manager is nine months it can lead to continual upheaval of your playing staff. Why allow a manager to spend big money if you're not sure how long he will be at the club?

Who would you appoint as manager then Mercerman if you was the Rovers MD considering the transfer embargo we are under?

Very unfair question. You advertise the position and choose the best applicant. We are hardly in a position to headhunt.

Who would you appoint as manager then Mercerman if you was the Rovers MD considering the transfer embargo we are under?

Chaddy, change the record.

There are scores of better options than Bowyer out there.

For a start, I would have nailed Sherwood and given him total control of football matters.

For a start, I would have nailed Sherwood and given him total control of football matters.

go on then?

You've got a 100% failure rate so far, you even rated Rosler ahead of Bowyer :lol:

and Sherwood was hanging on for a prem club so we can discount that suggestion.

Warburton is a good shout as he's out of contract

Sherwood would never have come here in a million years, his ege wouldn;t have allowed him

Chaddy has asked you a simple question mercer, plenty of people want Bowyer sacked, but NOBODY has yet come up with a viable alternative.

All the managers you've touted on here have failed and failed badly, Bowyer has out managed all of them.

Sherwood would never have come here in a million years, his ege wouldn;t have allowed him

Chaddy has asked you a simple question mercer, plenty of people want Bowyer sacked, but NOBODY has yet come up with a viable alternative.

All the managers you've touted on here have failed and failed badly, Bowyer has out managed all of them.

Top of my head: Nigel Adkins, Mark Warburton, Brian McDermott

There are no rugs in the JW but of course you would not know any different as you don't ever go there. Criticism from supporters I can take but from non attenders it's a bit much.

If you actually read it, from that lofty position on that horse, you would know it wasn't my criticism but one of your fellow JW stand ST holders:/

Top of my head: Nigel Adkins, Mark Warburton, Brian McDermott

Warburton has 11 points more than Bowyer this season, is probably going to miss out of the play offs, so why?

Adkins and McDermott? both sacked recently? one season wonders? but yes they've more form than Bowyer so I can see where you're coming from but I'd wager it would be a struggle to bring them here under Venkys.

Warburton has 11 points more than Bowyer this season, is probably going to miss out of the play offs, so why?

For Brentford to even be in play-off contention in their first season in the Championship is testament to the job Warburton has done there. He also managed to reinvent a player who was surplus to requirements under Boreya.

Adkins and McDermott? both sacked recently? one season wonders? but yes they've more form than Bowyer so I can see where you're coming from but I'd wager it would be a struggle to bring them here under Venkys.

McDermott took Reading to the play-off finals in his first full season, then they won the title the season after.

Adkins won back-to-back promotions at Southampton.

Two managers who have done the business in this division. The same cannot be said for Bowyer.

And I would let Steele go and let Raya and Eastwood fight it out. You have a habit of being wrong about goalkeepers Chaddy. In my opinion of course.

being wrong? I said my views on Robinson last season. so I'm not going to keep on writing them.

I think Steele has been slightly better than Eastwood this season but both have had good games and some poor games/mistakes.

but I think Steele should stay here as fight for the number 1 with Raya. We don't want to lose a good up and coming keeper again like we did with Given back in the 90's

Very unfair question. You advertise the position and choose the best applicant. We are hardly in a position to headhunt.

not a unfair question IMO. how long do we wait and advertise the manager position for?

we need organised pre-season and get staff in that the new manager would want in. plus making signings and deciding who leaves from the current playing staff plus we have an embargo in place.

But Sherwood is the Aston Villa manager now. so clearly he ain't going to leave there.

so who? You have mention in the past Rosler, Wee Dougie and Coyle. tbh, I wouldn't any of them here.

For Brentford to even be in play-off contention in their first season in the Championship is testament to the job Warburton has done there. He also managed to reinvent a player who was surplus to requirements under Bowyer

you mean Alan Judge?

if so, Judge wanted to leave due to not playing enough game time.

For Brentford to even be in play-off contention in their first season in the Championship is testament to the job Warburton has done there. He also managed to reinvent a player who was surplus to requirements under Boreya.

McDermott took Reading to the play-off finals in his first full season, then they won the title the season after.

Adkins won back-to-back promotions at Southampton.

Two managers who have done the business in this division. The same cannot be said for Bowyer.

Bowyer going nowhere so it's all irrelevant, but I think I agreed with you in the main.

If Bowyer was sacked I doubt any of those 3 would be asked to come here or willing.

I think Eastwood is a decent keeper but for me, I would let him go and let Raya and Steele fight it out for the number 1 shirt here

How do we let anybody ''go'' who is under contract?? Most unlikely anybody would want the ones we are trying to 'let go'' and so they are hardly going to walk away from their contracts here are they?? So the only way they ''go'' is by being paid up in full and freed which doesn't do a lot for FFP as far as I can say and merely further escalates the losses.

That's why next season with pretty much the same squad MINUS our two 40 goal strikers worries me sick TBH , especially if its the same guy in charge

I've always been against it but I must admit that I'm finding myself drawn to it more and more. I think sufficient clubs abroad have proved that it can work if implemented with care and as long as everyone is on the same page. When the average tenure of a Championship manager is nine months it can lead to continual upheaval of your playing staff. Why allow a manager to spend big money if you're not sure how long he will be at the club?

It's interesting that under such a structure, the manager would still carry the can. At what point would the "Director of Football" or whatever title be held accountable?

Ordinarily a manager would set out the type of football they intend to play in order to get the necessary results from the players available. Under such a structure (e.g. Southampton or Swansea), is sounds like the club set out the philosophy for the kind of football they will play and organise everyone at the club to deliver that same goal, scouting, recruitment, development, academy. The manager would then have to be of a similar ilk and simply be a great motivator and man-manager of egos in the first team. I guess that will work when you have plenty of money to throw at it, simply because they can afford to be very choosy about the type of manager they want. I guess they can also afford to be relegated so that they can stick to their principles. The game changer for that might be when a Swansea or a Southampton are faced with relegation and the spectre of FFP means that they can no longer just throw owner cash at it.

All that said, FFP is starting to seem like something that can be easily worked around if people have the will to do so.

Too many residing in the Ewood / Brockhall comfort zone.

Bottom line, IMV, is that Bowyer should be drummed out of Ewood.

We owe him nothing - he initially steadied the ship for which he has been handsomely paid. Now we are moving backwards.

He has not got the drive, personality or technical ability to move our club forward.

As an individual, I find him colourless and uninspiring and our whole football structure reflects this including performances.

Grief! 'drummed out'. :rolleyes: Why such emotive language?

Just as an aside when have you met him as an individual and how much time have you spent in his company?

The fact that half a dozen members have agreed with your judgement on the suitability of any football manager suggest their memory banks are serioulsy depleted.

It's only a mb Al. Speculation and chat is what it's for. Also mercermans opinions on football managers are always very errr 'readable'. :lol:

being wrong? I said my views on Robinson last season. so I'm not going to keep on writing them.

I think Steele has been slightly better than Eastwood this season but both have had good games and some poor games/mistakes.

but I think Steele should stay here as fight for the number 1 with Raya. We don't want to lose a good up and coming keeper again like we did with Given back in the 90's

not a unfair question IMO. how long do we wait and advertise the manager position for?

we need organised pre-season and get staff in that the new manager would want in. plus making signings and deciding who leaves from the current playing staff plus we have an embargo in place.

But Sherwood is the Aston Villa manager now. so clearly he ain't going to leave there.

so who? You have mention in the past Rosler, Wee Dougie and Coyle. tbh, I wouldn't any of them here.

Three have been mentioned - Warburton, McDermott and Adkins. Of the three Amo mentioned Warburton and Adkins would be huge shouts for me. Warburton has done excellently well getting Brentford promoted and getting them in/near the playoffs in first season in the championship is also huge. It should also be noted as Amo said Adkins did really well at Southampton and fairly well with Scunthorpe. Yes he was relegated with them but also promoted twice - and let's be honest they're a small club so tough to keep in the championship.

ALL THREE HAVE HAD MUCH MORE SUCCESS THAN BOWYER

Also. if we're on about potentials IF we can get managers in from other clubs - not sure if FFP allows it, but then since teams can get round the whole thing there should be ways of getting in a manager, can't see it listed as a problem - there are loads I'd choose. Greyson at Preston would be my no 1 shout, even if he doesn't get Preston up - 3 other promotions and Preston being close says he's a lot more quality than Bowyer.

I think we've missed the boat on a number of managers - mainly McCarthy and Jackett both doing excellently, and would have been ideal for us, but the point is that there are a load of missed opportunities for replacing Bowyer with someone better, and those opportunities continue to be there.

You say who, but conveniently ignore when people mention, or say "they won't come." We won't know will we whether they'd come, but I'd be willing to bet that most managers would come - better than being out of work (just!) and gets their name back in circulation. To me Rovers has been a win-win situation since Kean left - do well and you're a miracle worker, do badly and you have a shed load of excuses why.

As for others, Rossler still has more success than Bowyer on his CV (a promotion) and Freedman is doing decently with Forest - and has done well before. Yes, both have downs on their record - but a decent chairman/owner would assess whether these were blips or indicative of poor quality management. Heck who'd have gambled on some of the managers in the top 6 at the moment? Hughes was appalling at QPR - look how he's doing at Stoke. Point is a competent owner, assesses a manager and explores how good they are and then make a judgement on it. This means even some apparent "failures" may actually be good options, And whilst some will be duds, I'm willing to bet others aren't (in fact the examples stated prove this is the case.)

Point is no-one better is a myth and a poor one at that for keeping GB in a job.

I must say most things about Brentford impressed me when I watched them here. Lots of ingenuity, invention and application. I don't know much about him but he'd be on my list to interview should the need arise.

From leaving Spurs, Sherwood was kicking his heels for 10 months or so. Who says he wouldn't have come here for the right assurances and control. No one thought that King Kenny would ever have come to Ewood.

You want a new manager then you advertise and see who applies. Rovers can offer superb training facilities, a modern stadium, a club steeped in history. I am sure there will be no shortage of quality applicants. Who would I go for, well depends who's interested ! Rest assured, there is another Dyche, Howe or even Alex Neil out there. We are a club who appointed the likes of Furphy, Lee, Smith and Kendall who all proved successful and moved on to arguably bigger things.

As for those managers of 'mine' who've bombed - Freedman did a job and half at Palace and will come again, Coyle was always tongue in cheek but having said that, did take Burnley up on a shoe string and Rosler didn't work out at Wigan though did excellently at Brtentford. Having said that, I'd take all three over Bowyer.

Rovers need to be brave and bold. If Bowyer is the answer then I sure as hell don't know what the question is.

Does the fact that Raya played at LUFC not suggest we need 3 keepers?

you maybe have a point

Three have been mentioned - Warburton, McDermott and Adkins. Of the three Amo mentioned Warburton and Adkins would be huge shouts for me. Warburton has done excellently well getting Brentford promoted and getting them in/near the playoffs in first season in the championship is also huge. It should also be noted as Amo said Adkins did really well at Southampton and fairly well with Scunthorpe. Yes he was relegated with them but also promoted twice - and let's be honest they're a small club so tough to keep in the championship.

ALL THREE HAVE HAD MUCH MORE SUCCESS THAN BOWYER

Also. if we're on about potentials IF we can get managers in from other clubs - not sure if FFP allows it, but then since teams can get round the whole thing there should be ways of getting in a manager, can't see it listed as a problem - there are loads I'd choose. Greyson at Preston would be my no 1 shout, even if he doesn't get Preston up - 3 other promotions and Preston being close says he's a lot more quality than Bowyer.

I think we've missed the boat on a number of managers - mainly McCarthy and Jackett both doing excellently, and would have been ideal for us, but the point is that there are a load of missed opportunities for replacing Bowyer with someone better, and those opportunities continue to be there.

You say who, but conveniently ignore when people mention, or say "they won't come." We won't know will we whether they'd come, but I'd be willing to bet that most managers would come - better than being out of work (just!) and gets their name back in circulation. To me Rovers has been a win-win situation since Kean left - do well and you're a miracle worker, do badly and you have a shed load of excuses why.

As for others, Rossler still has more success than Bowyer on his CV (a promotion) and Freedman is doing decently with Forest - and has done well before. Yes, both have downs on their record - but a decent chairman/owner would assess whether these were blips or indicative of poor quality management. Heck who'd have gambled on some of the managers in the top 6 at the moment? Hughes was appalling at QPR - look how he's doing at Stoke. Point is a competent owner, assesses a manager and explores how good they are and then make a judgement on it. This means even some apparent "failures" may actually be good options, And whilst some will be duds, I'm willing to bet others aren't (in fact the examples stated prove this is the case.)

Point is no-one better is a myth and a poor one at that for keeping GB in a job.

Firstly, I was asking Mercerman who he would appoint.

secondly, Rosler does not have promotion on his CV. who did he get promote? Warburton took Brentford up. not Rosler.

Archived