Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say forever !

2 seasons completely wasted ...

Last season was the season he was entitled to the credit for stability and it looked like he was getting to grips with the job in the second half of last season. This one has been a complete waste however and if he wants respect he has to take a share of the blame. Unless he's just following instructions from somewhere else.............

Last season was the season he was entitled to the credit for stability and it looked like he was getting to grips with the job in the second half of last season. This one has been a complete waste however and if he wants respect he has to take a share of the blame. Unless he's just following instructions from somewhere else.............

Of course it is only a share of the blame. He cannot control what happens when players cross that white line.

He does however recruit and then choose those to cross that white line. And train, motivate and manage. For that reason alone, like most other football managers, he should carry the lions share of the blame and his results and performances should be judged accordingly against identified targets.

I hope no one tries to tell me the target was 9th this season. 12 points off the play offs is very poor. 21 off automatic promotion laughable.

We lost another 20 million 'achieving' these results. How can our owners be so lax?

Good result tonight. Love clean sheets. Credit to all.

• Backroom

I had 4th hand info (so 5th hand from me) that Bowyer refuses to play up to 5 'senior players'. I was initially outraged, but realised it could just mean Dunn, Robbo, Best and 2 other possible high earners we may be trying to get rid of?

Just those 3 alone would be rid of around 1/5th of our reported £2m/month losses.

I had 4th hand info (so 5th hand from me) that Bowyer refuses to play up to 5 'senior players'. I was initially outraged, but realised it could just mean Dunn, Robbo, Best and 2 other possible high earners we may be trying to get rid of?

Just those 3 alone would be rid of around 1/5th of our reported £2m/month losses.

The same Dunn that was handed a 1 year deal last summer, probably on the back of a recommendation by Bowyer, now he won't play him..........sound management that.

Why give Dunn a new deal then, he's been injury prone his entire career not just the past twelve months.

It's been suggested on here that Dunn is fit and has been told by Bowyer he won't be picking him, hearsay of course, but worth considering.

Whilst on the subject of unsubstantiated rumours I was told last night that one of the youngsters on the fringes of first team reckoning has a clause in his contract giving him a substantial increase in salary once he has made 3 appearances of over 15 minutes for the first team.

Don't know if that's true but if it is it would provide some sort of explanation for the otherwise inexplicable refusal to blood the youngsters over the generally meaningless last couple of months.

Albeit not a satisfactory one.

How likely do you think this is? Not having a go, btw, genuine question. I think the reason most of us advocate change is because we don't think GB has it in him to keep a much weaker squad in the division. In what ways do you think Gary will change things to accommodate the likely loss of our key players?

Well hopefully he will replace them with decent potential for peanuts. He's already done this once upfront with Rudy- and that gives me at least a little confidence in him finding more bargains

I was under the impression that the crowd wanted change due to our inability to get promoted- not that they thought GB would relegate us without rhodes

What ever your thoughts on GB he has been blessed with a 40 goal front line, and we should be a damn site higher than 9th place. With one or both likely to go over the summer, I honestly feel GB has wasted our last chance of a return to the top flight for the foreseeable future.

Only Watford with a better front scoring record..

Any decent manager would utilise that

Whilst on the subject of unsubstantiated rumours I was told last night that one of the youngsters on the fringes of first team reckoning has a clause in his contract giving him a substantial increase in salary once he has made 3 appearances of over 15 minutes for the first team.

Don't know if that's true but if it is it would provide some sort of explanation for the otherwise inexplicable refusal to blood the youngsters over the generally meaningless last couple of months.

My word, contract clauses determining team selection, whatever next,

Who agrees to contract clauses and enforces them ?

• Backroom

I was under the impression that the crowd wanted change due to our inability to get promoted- not that they thought GB would relegate us without rhodes

If we lose Rhodes and Gestede we lose 40 goals. GB's recent freebie signings include Brown and Varney, who have managed a grand total of 0 goals combined since they've been at the club. Varney ended up getting shipped back out.

You may have faith in GB finding another two strikers who can bang in 40+ on a free transfer/loan, but I doubt too many others have the same confidence.

Meanwhile in midfield, Cairney (3) , Evans (1) , Lowe (0), Williamson (0) , Dunn (0) , Spearing (1) , Marshall (6) , Conway (2), C. Taylor (0), P. Taylor (0) and King (1) have provided 14 league goals between them. King and Spearing will likely leave at the end of the season so that will effectively leave us with a midfield who have managed 12 goals over 44 games so far.

If you aren't worried about next season, IMO you should be.

Not that it makes a lot of difference but I'm sure that Cairney has 3, Evans 1 and Conway 2-3 goals rather than the figures listed above.

A return of TWO league goals between all of our central midfielders is absolutely pathetic and must be the worst in the league by some distance. I've discounted Cairney as 80% of the time he's shifted out to the right.

Me though, I'm VERY worried about next season. Impossible to see anything but a dog fight without Rhodes and Gestede.

If we lose Rhodes and Gestede we lose 40 goals. GB's recent freebie signings include Brown and Varney, who have managed a grand total of 0 goals combined since they've been at the club. Varney ended up getting shipped back out.

You may have faith in GB finding another two strikers who can bang in 40+ on a free transfer/loan, but I doubt too many others have the same confidence.

Meanwhile in midfield, Cairney (1) , Evans (0) , Lowe (0), Williamson (0) , Dunn (0) , Spearing (1) , Marshall (5) , Conway (0), C. Taylor (1), P. Taylor (0) and King (1) have provided 9 league goals between them. King and Spearing will likely leave at the end of the season so that will effectively leave us with a midfield who have managed 7 goals over 44 games so far.

Seven of those signed by Bowyer himself. Exclude P Taylor but the rest of his signings are the regulars. He only really signs midfielders and seemingly has no actual plan of the type he needs to compliment each other. Only one of any real difference was Tunni and they made a balls of that in a way.

Can't think of anything that makes more sense. Actually I can - even though this reason sounds very plausible. If he's trying to keep everyone happy by giving them lots of games, which I think is evident, throwing some youngsters into the mix is only going to make that harder. Again not a satisfactory answer but possible.

Why give Dunn a new deal then, he's been injury prone his entire career not just the past twelve months.

It's been suggested on here that Dunn is fit and has been told by Bowyer he won't be picking him, hearsay of course, but worth considering.

I think Bowyer is quite the spin doctor in the LT but even I will back him on this one saying Dunn is unfit.

Good point. Personally whilst I disagree with giving him that 1st season - go for the best you can get - it wasn't clear cut, and there's a lot of debate around it. Certainly it's nowhere near the worst decision ever made as, surprisingly, you could put a decent argument forward for him to do it. He should never still be in the hot-seat at the moment. I'd have said last season the signs were too worrying that he wasn't learning, but beyond Christmas it's been a joke, he's clearly out of his depth.

Meanwhile in midfield, Cairney (1) , Evans (0) , Lowe (0), Williamson (0) , Dunn (0) , Spearing (1) , Marshall (5) , Conway (0), C. Taylor (1), P. Taylor (0) and King (1) have provided 9 league goals between them. King and Spearing will likely leave at the end of the season so that will effectively leave us with a midfield who have managed 7 goals over 44 games so far.

Think it's the tactics as much as the personnel tbh - not that it makes it any less worrying. Cairney can hit good shots, Marshall has played some of his games at rb, King has hardly featured, and even Evans can pop up with a goal or two. The problem is there's no pace in there - bar King who rarely got to play - and the central midfielders play a few yards in front of the centre backs. Hard to score when that's the case. Equally for when Cairney and Marshall play out wide, being on the opposite flank means that they always have to cut in, which makes it very easy to defend against them. Again, with our wingers, no pace also makes them easy to defend. If we had a bit of pace somewhere, I think that'd free up a bit more space for our less pacy players offensively.

Regardless of tactics, formation or players it's a worrying statistic, especially with our strike force likely to be decimated.

• Backroom

Not that it makes a lot of difference but I'm sure that Cairney has 3, Evans 1 and Conway 2-3 goals rather than the figures listed above.

A return of TWO league goals between all of our central midfielders is absolutely pathetic and must be the worst in the league by some distance. I've discounted Cairney as 80% of the time he's shifted out to the right.

Me though, I'm VERY worried about next season. Impossible to see anything but a dog fight without Rhodes and Gestede.

You are correct sir. That'll teach me for trusting wikipedia. My original post is updated accordingly!

I wouldn't have given a Dunn a new contract last summer anyway

I wouldn't have given a Dunn a new contract last summer anyway

It certainly looks bad decision Chaddy, I was one of them advocating giving him another 12 months, but it's not worked out.

Think he offers plenty behind the scenes but he's paid to play football, that's the bottom line.

Dunn was allegedly telling people the same thing when Singh was here and he wasn't getting a sniff. So it's either him and his glass body or it's his appearance related contract. About time he spoke up.

Dunn was allegedly telling people the same thing when Singh was here and he wasn't getting a sniff. So it's either him and his glass body or it's his appearance related contract. About time he spoke up.

Think he needs to "Get Real" and go and play for his mate in Brunei

Archived