BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

If we lose Rhodes and Gestede we lose 40 goals. GB's recent freebie signings include Brown and Varney, who have managed a grand total of 0 goals combined since they've been at the club. Varney ended up getting shipped back out.

You may have faith in GB finding another two strikers who can bang in 40+ on a free transfer/loan, but I doubt too many others have the same confidence.

Meanwhile in midfield, Cairney (3) , Evans (1) , Lowe (0), Williamson (0) , Dunn (0) , Spearing (1) , Marshall (6) , Conway (2), C. Taylor (0), P. Taylor (0) and King (1) have provided 14 league goals between them. King and Spearing will likely leave at the end of the season so that will effectively leave us with a midfield who have managed 12 goals over 44 games so far.

If you aren't worried about next season, IMO you should be.

I think by definition- "worried" is what we should all be. Not necessarily just about what GB can muster under cloud, more so about the general running of the club. From the top down. My priority for "worry" is the financial black hole, dwindling attendances and the 5000 miles between the decisions makers and the club.

I agree that we've struggled to get goals from different positions but that's more down to those individuals - cairney and Marshall both have the propensity and ability to get goals in this division yet both have suffered poor seasons- get confidence in their boots and I think it may be a different story. They both need a reality check IMO- neither has improved this season and it would be pretty ridiculous to put that at anybody's door besides themselves.

As for Varney and Brown- examples of the quality available to a club that's financially on its arse. I actually think that Varney offered something as a 3rd/4th choice- and the sheff Wednesday away game in isolation is a good example of why Brown is worth having.

I don't buy into the "rhodes is infallible because he scores goals for fun" discussions just like I don't buy into the "a centre forward is crap if he doesn't score goals" discussions.

Obviously, keeping one of them would be massive. If we lose both, I have a little faith in GB finding a good cheap one.

I'm still yet to find any faith in the Raos appointing a manager who can find perfect replacements for absolutely zip.

In fact, I have no faith in the Raos at all- and whilst that is still the case- any discussion or movement from the fans to replace GB seems churlish IMO.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I think by definition- "worried" is what we should all be. Not necessarily just about what GB can muster under cloud, more so about the general running of the club. From the top down. My priority for "worry" is the financial black hole, dwindling attendances and the 5000 miles between the decisions makers and the club.

I agree that we've struggled to get goals from different positions but that's more down to those individuals - cairney and Marshall both have the propensity and ability to get goals in this division yet both have suffered poor seasons- get confidence in their boots and I think it may be a different story. They both need a reality check IMO- neither has improved this season and it would be pretty ridiculous to put that at anybody's door besides themselves.

As for Varney and Brown- examples of the quality available to a club that's financially on its arse. I actually think that Varney offered something as a 3rd/4th choice- and the sheff Wednesday away game in isolation is a good example of why Brown is worth having.

I don't buy into the "rhodes is infallible because he scores goals for fun" discussions just like I don't buy into the "a centre forward is crap if he doesn't score goals" discussions.

Obviously, keeping one of them would be massive. If we lose both, I have a little faith in GB finding a good cheap one.

I'm still yet to find any faith in the Raos appointing a manager who can find perfect replacements for absolutely zip.

In fact, I have no faith in the Raos at all- and whilst that is still the case- any discussion or movement from the fans to replace GB seems churlish IMO.

Fair enough post. I don't think people are being churlish in wanting to replace GB, but rather are looking at the only option realistically available to us to improve our chances of doing well on the pitch. It seems obvious the Raos aren't going anywhere, but we have had managers replaced before, so it's possible to get a replacement for GB even if we can't replace our owners.

Will they get a better manager than GB? As I've said before, it's unlikely. However, IMO we're going one way under Bowyer, and the only way to arrest that decline is to bring in somebody with better ideas. We're just as likely to get Craig Short as Warburton, but what other choice is there other than meekly accept an inevitable decline into oblivion?

So far the only real progression for GB that I can see is up then plateau. We've been largely the same inconsistent team that improved last seasons performance compared to the "revolving door policy" of the season before that.

It's too difficult to predict the exact outcome of next season under GB- if I go along with your assumption that it will be a meek decline into oblivion; I'd still be more convinced that changing everything again would lead to a quicker decline. There is seemingly no "Stevie Mack" option to take a stable "derby up a level".

• Backroom

One thing to note is that by replacing Appleton with Bowyer, we got an improvement. It could happen again with the right appointment, though I think we'd all have to accept that if Venky's get it right it'll be by luck rather than design.

• Backroom

5 senior players

Robinson has been out of favour since the Derby Home league game in September 2014.

Best. Enough said.

Dunn. Very injury prone player. Didnt he get against Swansea in the Fa cup game. (Might be wrong)

Who are the other 2?

No idea who the other 4 are, but Dunn is apparently one. I'm just supposing with the others.

I really wouldn't hold your breath, there's more chance of Barry Venky turning up at Rovers in a smart car.

We all have to face facts, the club is being run in a way that makes us all despair and barring some special circumstance like the terrible triumvirate being fired off into space like the villains in Superman 3, we're locked into their deadly embrace. I rather suspect they'll keep Bowyer on until the dawn of a new world order, unless he's caught banging one out into Madame's handbag.

Nope, we're lumbered with them, and if we're lumbered with them, we're lumbered with Bowyer.

Quite where all this is going, I'm not sure. I can see the potential for an FFP-initiated vicious cycle of declining league position -> declining attendance -> declining revenue -> failure to lift embargo -> failure to strengthen squad, sales of players to increase income -> declining league position.

And what if these backward banjo-strumming morons decide to sell the club, who will buy? No-one. So if I were them, I wanted rid of the club but no-one would buy it from me, the only solution is to shut it down.

Is there any prospect of an alternative scenario on the horizon, any cause for hope? Not that I can see.

Twitter post from Kamy this morning was that the club is trying to put over that a top 10 finish is a achievement.

https://twitter.com/northern_rover/status/590796235956715520

Does anyone think that our league season has been a success?

Anything but a success, promotion was the aim using the clubs own standards set at the start of the season.

We have not narrowly missed out, but missed out by a country mile only touching the top 6 for a matter of hours.

A truly pathetic season that see's our last realistic chance for promotion gone.

Thanks to all involved!

Whilst on the subject of unsubstantiated rumours I was told last night that one of the youngsters on the fringes of first team reckoning has a clause in his contract giving him a substantial increase in salary once he has made 3 appearances of over 15 minutes for the first team.

Don't know if that's true but if it is it would provide some sort of explanation for the otherwise inexplicable refusal to blood the youngsters over the generally meaningless last couple of months.

Albeit not a satisfactory one.

These appearance related clauses really are a double-edged sword for players. I'm surprised their agents are so keen on them as they seem as likely to retard as advance a career, especially with us.

These appearance related clauses really are a double-edged sword for players. I'm surprised their agents are so keen on them as they seem as likely to retard as advance a career, especially with us.

Probably a nice drink or two involved for those putting the clauses into contracts or agreeing to sign them off when they are first done though :)

Has nutty numbs gone yet?

gary.jpg

Says: "No. And I'm going nowhere, mwaahahahahahahaa! Another lame yet unbeaten run to the season will once again guarantee me and you guys another year of turgid regression disguised as stability. Make sure you get your STD's over summer as they'll be more fun than getting an ST"

Talking about losing our two main strikers, hard with having to face transfer embargo, injury list etc etc. All so predictably negative and defeatist form Bowyer. He is basically telling us that we can look forward to another season of disappointment come August. I wish he'd stop saying " We gave it a right good go" as well, because it sounds ridiculous when you lose as many leads as we do. In a nutshell, the players and manager aren't good enough to get us out of this division, in an upward direction that is.

I think this idea of giving each goalie a game in three matches is totally laughable and a bloody embarrassment to this football club.

If someone was searching for evidence that bowyer has no balls and is trying to placate every member of the squad by continuously shuffling his deck, there's exhibit A. How can he have any authority now? It's unbelievable. Barmy, it really is

A decent cup run but by Christ the rest was quite frankly forgettable.

A top ten finish a 'success'?...more front than Blackpool promenade this lot running our club.When I hear bull like this it just pushes me one step nearer to calling it a day for good.:glare:

We had so much better than this in the recent past,we had pride,we had standards...we are not fookin idiots.

I think this idea of giving each goalie a game in three matches is totally laughable and a bloody embarrassment to this football club.

If someone was searching for evidence that bowyer has no balls and is trying to placate every member of the squad by continuously shuffling his deck, there's exhibit A. How can he have any authority now? It's unbelievable. Barmy, it really is

Raya needs some first team action and to be fair it would be nice for the fans to see him in the last home game as opposed to him playing in an away game.

We know what Steele and Eastwood can do already it would be a bit of a farce if one of those play on Saturday now.

On the subject of those two both are decent without being absolutely top notch. If anything Eastwood has looked marginally more impressive making the Steele signing an even more pointless one than it appeared at the time.

• Backroom

Raya is only 19 years old. I don't think it's a good idea to throw him in as second choice goalkeeper at such an early stage in his career. If Steele gets injured and Raya has to play, we could end up with another Jake Kean situation.

I'd rather we kept Steele/Eastwood as our 1/2 pairing and sent Raya out on loan to get some experience in the lower leagues. Ideally we'd sell Kean this summer, too... we don't need 4 goalkeepers on the books.

Archived