BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can't drag on if Middlesbrough don't get promoted.

Unless they sell a lot of players it is financially impossible for any club in the Championship to be offering the £8 million+ for Rhodes, especially one without parachute money and gates hardly any bigger than our own. That's the reason we failed the rules in the first place, and we had the parachute money to spend at the time.

Obviously if they go up the game changes.

Really do hope he stays, but if there's one man I expect to leave it is Rudy Gestede, Rhodes could well leave though too, if we receive a bid high enough. Still, his contract expires in 2019, so I doubt he'd sign a contract for that long if he wasn't happy here, it just depends on whether Bowyer is up for selling him.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reading-and-blackburn-rovers-eye-move-for-24-year-old-defender/

Lets hope he cuts the mustard

It can't drag on if Middlesbrough don't get promoted.

Unless they sell a lot of players it is financially impossible for any club in the Championship to be offering the £8 million+ for Rhodes, especially one without parachute money and gates hardly any bigger than our own. That's the reason we failed the rules in the first place, and we had the parachute money to spend at the time.

Obviously if they go up the game changes.

i meant Rhodes being linked away.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reading-and-blackburn-rovers-eye-move-for-24-year-old-defender/

Lets hope he cuts the mustard

i meant Rhodes being linked away.

Yes it will go on and on as it has every window since he joined us.

I keep hearing about how splashing money about on expensive players, Rhodes being one of them, has landed us in our current predicament

Yet people seem to accept interest in him from the likes of Middlesbrough as though they are able to just throw big money around without concern or consequence.

The two are incompatible. If we can't afford to sign/keep Rhodes as a Championship club then there is no way a club like Middlesbrough could afford to spend what it would take to sign him. All clubs in this league have to now walk a tightrope with regards to player/wage expenditure.

Same happened the other week when Sheffield Wednesday were linked because they have a new owner who wants to get promoted. Fine. But FFP rules, if enforced properly, are aimed at preventing rich people coming along and throwing money at it, just like our friends Venkys are now finding out.

Unless of course FFP rules aren't going to be enforced consistently across all clubs, but surely the League wouldn't allow that to happen, would they? :)

Lazy journalism, I think last nights performance against a very average and slow Liverpool back four has cemented JR as nothing more than a decent championship forward, just lacking that spark and bit of acceleration that you need at the top level. I don't think there will be a queue offering him what we pay him. Rudy on the other hand, not sure what he earns here, but he's got something the premier league managers will take a punt on.

Lazy journalism, I think last nights performance against a very average and slow Liverpool back four has cemented JR as nothing more than a decent championship forward, just lacking that spark and bit of acceleration that you need at the top level. I don't think there will be a queue offering him what we pay him. Rudy on the other hand, not sure what he earns here, but he's got something the premier league managers will take a punt on.

Take away Rudy's excellent scoring record and he still has the physique and height to cause mayhem in any defence, as he showed as soon as he came on the pitch last night. Even if he isn't scoring he can be used as a weapon on the pitch.

The fact he has added goals to his game whilst with us, combined with his wages here, would make him a very attractive prospect to a number of clubs. Unfortunately I fully expect a WBA, Palace or Hull to be in for him this summer.

Depending on Venky's stance he would probably be available for about £5 million, so well within affordability range for most bottom half Championship clubs.

Rhodes is different. His contract here means that he would be much more expensive and would cost much more in wages. Take away his goals and there is little else by way of pace/physicality to concern top defenders, despite his hard work and effort. Having said that I would expect him to score at least 10-15 a season in any team in the Premier League if playing every week, but I don't think there are many clubs who would have him starting and playing 90 minutes at that level.

The common denominator in the clubs seriously interested in Rhodes was probably Uncle Steve. Bruces assistant then Boro managers. A bit of family insider influence to try and get him a big move possibly, too much of a coincidence if you ask me !

Having said that I would expect him to score at least 10-15 a season in any team in the Premier League if playing every week, .

I agreed until you said this. He wouldn't get a sniff against a decent top level defence, he didn't get one against Liverpool reserves and in Toure, the guys a pudding.

Tricky call with Jordan. If he plays up top for a team that frequently has lots of possession and can get him the ball in advanced areas he would be lethal. The problem with our team is that it is often the case that he receives the ball a long way from the opposition goal, isolated, with a lot to do.

Expect one confidence crushing exodus of our top players if the jist of Bowyers comments are to be believed..not good at all!

:(

No surprise but after today's news it's not the venkys at all and its me being the only selfish person in rovers land for wanting them gone .. I greet this with such joy .. Hail v's and all who sail in her

Tricky call with Jordan. If he plays up top for a team that frequently has lots of possession and can get him the ball in advanced areas he would be lethal. The problem with our team is that it is often the case that he receives the ball a long way from the opposition goal, isolated, with a lot to do.

You get the ball in advanced areas by having a striker who can hold the ball up though. There's no chance Rhodes will ever play for a top team.

is this another exclusive? :P

Come on man! Haha.

No, nothing in it other than we enquired last year and he's scored loads at PNE again this season. I expect Gestede to go, if we sell Rhodes as well we need Garner +1.

Sounds like an active selling policy to me.

As for this, i really don't get it, he's had ample time to bring in 25+ players, and its hardly like the embargo was a suprise. ""The embargos just caught up with us because we havent been able to bring enough bodies in.

Come on man! Haha.

No, nothing in it other than we enquired last year and he's scored loads at PNE again this season. I expect Gestede to go, if we sell Rhodes as well we need Garner +1.

Joe and our new academy manager go back a long time . I wouldn't rule it out.

Would the embargo not being lift if we sold Gestede and Rhodes this summer?

Surely we would be able to spend some of money that we bring in if both were sold?

You keep saying this, but the answer is no.

With King on a free, we could end up with Chris Brown as senior striker and no money and little wage budget to bring in support.

Archived