BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the answer to the summer transfer embargo.

Bowyer asked on radio lancs if he had two shopping lists - one with the embargo and one without. "Yes, but I know now which one I'll be working to. It's highly likely we'll still be under embargo. The income from the cup games was welcome, but hardly scratched the surface "(of the losses).

I guess the interview will be on the RL website shortly.

Is it not right and proper that the fans know if the embargo has been lifted? If Bowyer now knows then it is about time we were told. It sounds ominous I guess, if he knows already, but the fans should be told, come what may.

Right chaddy and when will bowyer be using them?

Raya started at Leeds. O'Sullivan started at Birmingham and likely Lenihan on Saturday. Plus maybe Mahoney and Nyambe before the season ends

Bowyer asked on radio lancs if he had two shopping lists - one with the embargo and one without. "Yes, but I know now which one I'll be working to. It's highly likely we'll still be under embargo. The income from the cup games was welcome, but hardly scratched the surface "(of the losses).

Bowyer's BBC Radio Lancs interview

https://audioboom.com/boos/3090784-audio-onerovers-manager-gary-bowyer-speaks-to-andybayes

• Backroom

More Browny and Varney type players on the way, then, whilst Rhodes and Gestede are flogged for whatever we can get...

Is it not right and proper that the fans know if the embargo has been lifted? If Bowyer now knows then it is about time we were told. It sounds ominous I guess, if he knows already, but the fans should be told, come what may.

It depends. If Bowyer has already identified players whom he wants to bring in and can do some kind of deal without a fee (with FFP) as an excuse then it wouldn't not make sense to tell everyone he can spend money.

That said, the rub is whether or not the players he might be looking at are any good.

Teams need to clear the deadwood to make way for better players. At Rovers we are likely to see the clearing of the better players to be replaced with more deadwood.

If we cannot improve the playing staff from those we have now then we are only going to get worse.

It depends. If Bowyer has already identified players whom he wants to bring in and can do some kind of deal without a fee (with FFP) as an excuse then it wouldn't not make sense to tell everyone he can spend money.

That said, the rub is whether or not the players he might be looking at are any good.

Teams need to clear the deadwood to make way for better players. At Rovers we are likely to see the clearing of the better players to be replaced with more deadwood.

If we cannot improve the playing staff from those we have now then we are only going to get worse.

I'm not saying this wilL happen, but lets say the Rhodes and Gestede rumours to Palace are correct. Perhaps we could get Glen Murray as part of the deal. As far as I am aware that type of deal would be OK under FFP and may be the way to do business with anyone who wants those two. Murray was terrific the year Palace were promoted and although out injured this season, he has come back well.

Always Rhodes fault , wait till we are on a goal drought next season. You don't get on the best bandwagon though.

Eh? Why so defensive all the time? The individuals under discussion were Dunny, Robbo and Rhodes and their combined salaries being circa 100k pw which will likely not be being paid in a couple of months time. Must admit I will miss watching Dunny most by a mile (even though I'm struggling to remember him play much) but all good things come to an end don't they?

It's not man love you are suffering from is it Abbey? :wub:

I wouldn't be too surprised if there's no Baptiste next season, we've signed Killa, Duffy and Hanley and it sounds like Doneil Henry is coming back, Henley seems to have nailed down right back...

Question: If we took lost 42 mil last season because we took 16m from this and out it on the losses = we lost 26m

Then do we not take that 16m off this one = 10m loss

Sell JR and we are out of the embargo?

Also I thought this 2mil a month was before we got rid of a few of the big earners, then add Robbo (Best spontaneously combusts) doesn't it give us a chance of having the embargo lifted?

albeit with an empty can of petrol beside him with no fingerprints on. ;)

Who would you sell it to ?

PNE, Burnley, Lancashire County FC or maybe Wimpey homes would buy it to keep their staff fit.

What if Duncan Ballantine could buy it and turn it into the Ribble Valley Health Centre for the well heeled.

The building blocks are already in place and ready made customers already in attendance i.e. partially fit people needing some TLC with lots of disposable income.

Sounds like a good business model to me.

Hang on! Lancashire County will need Brockhall most. 5 into 1 should represent clear financial sense and will allow for every other clubs training facilities to be sold off. Jack should have started all this btw in the early 90's when he was the irresistable force in football.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there's no Baptiste next season, we've signed Killa, Duffy and Hanley and it sounds like Doneil Henry is coming back, Henley seems to have nailed down right back...

Question: If we took lost 42 mil last season because we took 16m from this and out it on the losses = we lost 26m

Then do we not take that 16m off this one = 10m loss

Sell JR and we are out of the embargo?

Also I thought this 2mil a month was before we got rid of a few of the big earners, then add Robbo (Best spontaneously combusts) doesn't it give us a chance of having the embargo lifted?

How does it sound like Henry is coming back?

• Backroom

With FFP in mind, why was Dunn's contract extended anyway? He obviously wasn't going to play very often, so it seems like a bizarre decision.

It was a shocking decision and always looked odd

albeit with an empty can of petrol beside him with no fingerprints on. ;)

Hang on! Lancashire County will need Brockhall most. 5 into 1 should represent clear financial sense and will allow for every other clubs training facilities to be sold off. Jack should have started all this btw in the early 90's when he was the irresistable force in football.

I was taking the pee

whoooooosh

Bowyer on the embargo-

"“Bournemouth went and bought (Callum) Wilson and backed it up by signing Kenwyne Jones. It’s good business, it’s a plan, it’s a structure in place, and we’re now working very, very hard to put that in place here but it takes time.”

It just gets me angry. I've been criticising the way he's been bringing in any and every player that he could since he's been manager. FFP was on its way and he totally ignored that fact.

Grrrrrrr......

• Backroom

Bowyer on the embargo-

"“Bournemouth went and bought (Callum) Wilson and backed it up by signing Kenwyne Jones. It’s good business, it’s a plan, it’s a structure in place, and we’re now working very, very hard to put that in place here but it takes time.”

It just gets me angry. I've been criticising the way he's been bringing in any and every player that he could since he's been manager. FFP was on its way and he totally ignored that fact.

Grrrrrrr......

That can't be true den. FFP is the reason we didn't get into the playoffs, don't you know? Nothing to do with Bowyer. His hands were tied.

Marshall, Duffy and Evans are just three names off the top of my head who came in for decent money, certainly not peanuts by Championship standard. Not to mention the wages spunked on the likes of Varney, Dabo, Feeney, Spearing and Paul Taylor over the last season or so. He's got an unhealthy obsession with Bournemouth and Brentford's 'big' spending.

• Backroom

Marshall, Duffy and Evans are just three names off the top of my head who came in for decent money, certainly not peanuts by Championship standard. Not to mention the wages spunked on the likes of Varney, Dabo, Feeney, Spearing and Paul Taylor over the last season or so. He's got an unhealthy obsession with Bournemouth and Brentford's 'big' spending.

Don't forget our good friend Songo'o...

I think if you take a step back and disengage "slag manager" mode for a second- you'd see why he mentions both.

Both ran in a way of building quality without debt, looking at the future regardless of replacing a manager, full stadiums, momentum and both signing additions when the season gets tough with suspensions and injuries...

GB inherited a club without any of those luxuries. Yes, the argument about early spending and quality of squad is valid- but so is the difference that momentum makes. Even Wolves- there is a step back in their fans.

I will be worried if GB is moaning if we ever have a direct plan, owners who know the best solutions and care for the club, a full stadium and money/reputation to add quality when it's necessary.

At this moment in time... That looks unlikely!

The concern is that there is absolutely no guarantee that selling Rhodes and/or Gestede would result in the embargo being lifted. Given the double standards applied so far by the Football League, with at least 4 clubs losing more than the limit yet not being embargoed, then even if we brought in £10 million in sales they could still turn around and keep us under a ban.

Then what?

All of a sudden we've no goalscorers, can't spend money on new players and are still under an embargo. Hello League One.

If there was a cast iron guarantee, that say we sold Rhodes for £10 million the embargo would be lifted and we would be able to spend £5 million on a new striker and on other areas to strengthen then I could understand Bowyer wanting to do the deal. As far as I am aware there is no such guarantee. We would then be looking at replacing a 35 goal a season strike force with no money. Any realistic suggestions for replacements in that scenario?

The simple fact is that you don't progress or improve by selling your better players. Most clubs in this league understand that simple concept, hence why those in the top 8, other than Ipswich, have all spent relatively big money in the last 18 months whilst those down at the bottom, apart from Wigan, are those who have spent relative peanuts. Watford resisted offers for Deeney, those that have lost good players (Bournemouth with Grabban) have then spent considerable money replacing them with the likes of Calum Wilson and Kenwyn Jones. There's no reason to believe we would do the same if Rhodes or Gestede left.

The embargo is no surprise, we've been expecting it for 2 years. If avoiding it was as simple as selling Rhodes or Gestede then that course should have been followed when bids were on the table last summer and in January.

To put things into some context, Best, Robinson, Dunn and King are between them on the best part of £100k per week. And apart from 2 games in the FA Cup not one of those have contributed to the team this season. Until we get those off the wage bill we're going to be struggling. I believe that these are the people we should be trying to offload this summer rather than thinking about losing our top players.

Rhodes or no Rhodes. Whatever fee we might get for Rhodes would just about cover their salaries and pay offs for Orr/Slew.

I personally hope the club carries on the trajectory of the last 2 years to be honest. Look to offload and phase out the big earners e.g. Best and Robinson. Fight to keep our better players who are important first teamers.

In 12 months time permitted losses increase to an eventual allowance of £39 million over 3 years, or £13 million per year. Providing Venkys are willing to keep on picking up the tab at that stage then £13 million per year is a perfectly achievable figure, and will allow us to have one or two major earners (Rhodes) with the rest on Championship level wages.

In the end it all depends on whether or not Premier League clubs have a firm interest in such players. The club has done well until now to resist offers and retain these players. I fully expect Gestede to attract interest from numerous clubs and therefore the position Rovers take is in some ways irrelevant. If a club makes an offer and Gestede is determined enough to leave then the deals will probably happen.

Archived