BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either we extend his contract (which we simply cannot afford) or if we don't we must cash in our chips on JR soon because he'll end up worthless to us and might even seek to stay injury free rather than score goals in his final season.

Come off it Gordon, there's not the slightest reason to suspect he would do anything like that, nor any reason to state that he's been anything other than a consummate professional in the time he's been here. Still any excuse to find a stick to beat him over the head with when he keeps proving you wrong by scoring 20 goals + season after season eh?

Come off it Gordon, there's not the slightest reason to suspect he would do anything like that, nor any reason to state that he's been anything other than a consummate professional in the time he's been here. Still any excuse to find a stick to beat him over the head with when he keeps proving you wrong by scoring 20 goals + season after season eh?

I think Gordon has been spot on with his assessment of Rhodes, Simon. No one has ever said he won't score goals, so you've got that wrong right from the beginning.

I think Gordon has been spot on with his assessment of Rhodes, Simon. No one has ever said he won't score goals, so you've got that wrong right from the beginning.

Not really, given Rhodes is probably the one true professional at the Club who puts in a decent level of performance week after week season after season it's grossly unfair to speculate he might start swinging the lead in 2019.

I disagree. Gordon has stated he'd be as useful as Rhodes outside the box, something I highly doubt.

I think Gordon has something against Rhodes, to the point he will look for the things he does poorly and totally ignore what he does well (yes, even the stuff outside the box). Third top assister in the team and a better pass completion than the rest of our strikers. Not saying he's better than Gestede at holding the ball up, but to suggest he's useless unless within 18 yards of goal is folly.

I disagree. Gordon has stated he'd be as useful as Rhodes outside the box, something I highly doubt.

I think Gordon has something against Rhodes, to the point he will look for the things he does poorly and totally ignore what he does well (yes, even the stuff outside the box). Third top assister in the team and a better pass completion than the rest of our strikers. Not saying he's better than Gestede at holding the ball up, but to suggest he's useless unless within 18 yards of goal is folly.

TBH anyone calling JR really needs to give their head a wobble 20 plus goals in the last six seasons enough said

Rhodes has two managers. Both have said he can't play up front, on his own. One of those managers won't play him in a poor Scotland side, while Bowyer has dropped him on numerous occasions, trying Brown instead in order to improve the team performances.

Having to play 4-4-2 with a poor midfield means that even with a forty goal strike force we finished 9th in a poor league.

TBH anyone calling JR really needs to give their head a wobble 20 plus goals in the last six seasons enough said

Really annoys me these people who criticise JR advocate other players who haven't contributed half of what Rhodes has. Looking at the league stats here...

Such as:

King: contributed 1 goal and 0 assists in a handful of games.

Brown: 4 assists but yet to score.

Evans: 1 goal, 0 assists all season.

Williamson: 0 goals, 1 assist all season.

Spearing: 1 goal, 0 assists.

Lowe: 0 goals, 0 assists.

Rhodes has contributed the same number of assists as these 6 players put together, plus scored 18 more (I know each of them hasn't played as much as Rhodes but the point still stands, especially re Williamson and Evans).

Hell, even our "better" performers haven't done great in comparison:

Marshall: 6 goals, 7 assists.

Conway: 3 goals, 10 assists

Cairney: 3 goals, 5 assists.

Compare that to Rudy and Rhodes:

Rudy: 20 goals, 4 assists.

Rhodes: 21 goals, 5 assists

Those two should be exempt from criticism due to them carrying us the entire season. Some might naively say we play with ten men with Rhodes in there, but fail to acknowledge how half of our team are far more guilty of going AWOL and contribute diddly squat in comparison to Rhodes.

Rhodes has two managers. Both have said he can't play up front, on his own. One of those managers won't play him in a poor Scotland side, while Bowyer has dropped him on numerous occasions, trying Brown instead in order to improve the team performances.

Having to play 4-4-2 with a poor midfield means that even with a forty goal strike force we finished 9th in a poor league.

Weird. The argument used to be how Rhodes can't play up top on his own and now it's become how he can't play up top in a 4-4-2... And yet Gordon wants to see a 4-4-2 formation with Brown and King up top...

Can Rhodes play in any formation?

It's not Rhodes/Gestede's fault we play with two CDM's sat behind the half way line, with wingers who are sporadic in their efforts. I believe our issues are tactical. It's why the midfield contribute so little, yet the strikers have to create as well as score.

Didn't Scotland's assistant manager come out and say that Rhodes has come on a lot in other aspects of his game? Also, a poor squad it may be, but they still have Steven Fletcher and Steven Naismith competing for a starting spot. Two Premier League players, amongst others.

That's more a slight on the managers than Rhodes IMO.

It's already extended to 2019 as of last year

Fair enough Lewis. I'll bow to your superior knowledge although I still don't know how we can spew all our ST receipts on just one man's wages..

Simon it happens all over football. In fact dunny did it time and again. Injured for months only to return a few matches before the end of the season and play blinders.

Really annoys me these people who criticise JR advocate other players who haven't contributed half of what Rhodes has. Looking at the league stats here...

Such as:

Rhodes has contributed the same number of assists as these 6 players put together, plus scored 18 more (I know each of them hasn't played as much as Rhodes but the point still stands, especially re Williamson and Evans).

Hell, even our "better" performers haven't done great in comparison:

Marshall: 6 goals, 7 assists.

Conway: 3 goals, 10 assists

Cairney: 3 goals, 5 assists.

Compare that to Rudy and Rhodes:

Rudy: 20 goals, 4 assists.

Rhodes: 21 goals, 5 assists

Those two should be exempt from criticism due to them carrying us the entire season. Some might naively say we play with ten men with Rhodes in there, but fail to acknowledge how half of our team are far more guilty of going AWOL and contribute diddly squat in comparison to Rhodes.

Say what you want but I watch 23 games a season through my own eyes. He's a fox in the box for sure and rarely injured which is an underrated feature but he just doesn't do enough of the necessary spadework.... and that's the easiest part of his position.

'Poor' Scotland and 'poor' league are both subjective assertions suggesting that you might be struggling with your point.

Looking at the league stats here...

Such as:.

Cheers Mustard highlights a problem that Gary Bowyer seems to have created for himself and the team through his signings. This doesn't bode well for the future.

Extremely poor from Evans that but Bowyer doesn't want his midfielders crossing the hallway line and they must get fined if they make a forward pass because they are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Fair enough Lewis. I'll bow to your superior knowledge although I still don't know how we can spew all our ST receipts on just one man's wages..

Simon it happens all over football. In fact dunny did it time and again. Injured for months only to return a few matches before the end of the season and play blinders.

Say what you want but I watch 23 games a season through my own eyes. He's a fox in the box for sure and rarely injured which is an underrated feature but he just doesn't do enough of the necessary spadework.... and that's the easiest part of his position.

Gordon are you having too many pints of bitter before the game to ease the Saturday tension of which golf used be your favourite Saturday afternoon forte.. As unfortunately as mustard points out the stats don't lie

Rhodes struggles having 40 yard balls blasted at his chest with his back to goal and a 6ft 3" defender glued to his back. I'd say it's poor tactics, rather than a poor player. The lad comes alive in and around the box - we should be playing the ball into those areas quicker, rather than @#/? it at him aimlessly.

Gordon are you having too many pints of bitter before the game to ease the Saturday tension of which golf used be your favourite Saturday afternoon forte.. As unfortunately as mustard points out the stats don't lie

Why the infantile comments? Your last sentence would have made your point well enough for you.

Rhodes struggles having 40 yard balls blasted at his chest with his back to goal and a 6ft 3" defender glued to his back. I'd say it's poor tactics, rather than a poor player. The lad comes alive in and around the box - we should be playing the ball into those areas quicker, rather than @#/? it at him aimlessly.

Haven't you noticed he can't get there any quicker.

In today's Sun Newspaper,

"Blackburn hope their Norwegian striker Josh King signs a new 3 year deal so they can cash in on Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes.

Rovers want 15 million pounds for Gestede and Rhodes.

Boss Gary Bowyer plans to have King, Brown and Varney as his strikers next season"

In today's Sun Newspaper,

"Blackburn hope their Norwegian striker Josh King signs a new 3 year deal so they can cash in on Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes.

Rovers want 15 million pounds for Gestede and Rhodes.

Boss Gary Bowyer plans to have King, Brown and Varney as his strikers next season"

£15m ? I make Rhodes £12m + Gestede £7m more like £19m. BTW not saying they are necessarily worth that - but these are the figures speculated at previously that our owners would sell at.

Such as:

Sums up a major problem of our team.

Evans made 41 appearances, Willo made 34, Spoearing 15 and Lowe 14 (although there will have been a few a right back)

Our 2 main Central midfielder's only contributed 1 goal and 1 assist between them, that's unbelievably woeful. We will go no where with any of those 4 in CM.

Archived