BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's Sun Newspaper,

"Blackburn hope their Norwegian striker Josh King signs a new 3 year deal so they can cash in on Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes.

Rovers want 15 million pounds for Gestede and Rhodes.

Boss Gary Bowyer plans to have King, Brown and Varney as his strikers next season"

I see what they've done there. They've took a made up story from the Norwegian media, added a made-up valuation of Rhodes and Gestede and then sprinkled some shyte about an out-of-contract Varney leading the line next season on top. I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Sun and my arse is horrible.

Sums up a major problem of our team.

Evans made 41 appearances, Willo made 34, Spoearing 15 and Lowe 14 (although there will have been a few a right back)

Our 2 main Central midfielder's only contributed 1 goal and 1 assist between them, that's unbelievably woeful. We will go no where with any of those 4 in CM.

That's incredible.

"Blackburn hope their Norwegian striker Josh King signs a new 3 year deal so they can cash in on Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes.

Boss Gary Bowyer plans to have King, Brown and Varney as his strikers next season"

So we'll rely on three strikers with a combined goal tally of 4 in the league for next season?

League One anyone?

Kinell. He needs reg out and two newbies in if that happens. If Rhodes and gestede are off we need to replace them like for like not settle for for worse. In fact much worse.

We have Chris Brown, Gordon. How much like for like do you need? ;)

Sums up a major problem of our team.

Evans made 41 appearances, Willo made 34, Spoearing 15 and Lowe 14 (although there will have been a few a right back)

Our 2 main Central midfielder's only contributed 1 goal and 1 assist between them, that's unbelievably woeful. We will go no where with any of those 4 in CM.

its no surprise, esp when you have Spearing, Evans, and Williamson who are basically defensive midfielders. Conway and Marshall have contributed goals down the flanks when basically drifting inside. Im of the opinion now, that maybe if we can get King fit, and bring in another 2 wingers, that we might look at playing King up front, with Conway, Marshall moving more centrally as they seem to have a few goals in them. We really need only 1 holding/Defensive midfielder, so i dont see the point at times in having both Evans and Williamson/Spearing on the field at the same time.

Haven't you noticed he can't get there any quicker.

He isn't the fastest but he never has been. He is very good at predicting where the ball is going to end up and has sniffed out many goals out of nothing in a VERY unremarkable and un-creative Rovers side. What Rhodes is very good at timing runs off the last defender and tucking them away, our problem is that our manager has too often chosen not to play a midfield that can pass a ball on the floor or seems to instil the tactic that we don't get the ball (mainly crosses) quickly into dangerous areas.

Really annoys me these people who criticise JR advocate other players who haven't contributed half of what Rhodes has. Looking at the league stats here...

Such as:

King: contributed 1 goal and 0 assists in a handful of games.

Brown: 4 assists but yet to score.

Evans: 1 goal, 0 assists all season.

Williamson: 0 goals, 1 assist all season.

Spearing: 1 goal, 0 assists.

Lowe: 0 goals, 0 assists.

Rhodes has contributed the same number of assists as these 6 players put together, plus scored 18 more (I know each of them hasn't played as much as Rhodes but the point still stands, especially re Williamson and Evans).

Hell, even our "better" performers haven't done great in comparison:

Marshall: 6 goals, 7 assists.

Conway: 3 goals, 10 assists

Cairney: 3 goals, 5 assists.

Compare that to Rudy and Rhodes:

Rudy: 20 goals, 4 assists.

Rhodes: 21 goals, 5 assists

Those two should be exempt from criticism due to them carrying us the entire season. Some might naively say we play with ten men with Rhodes in there, but fail to acknowledge how half of our team are far more guilty of going AWOL and contribute diddly squat in comparison to Rhodes.

Stats are a funny thing.

Did you know that King has a better goals to mins played ratio than Rhodes this season.

Also Rudy has played 806 mins less than Rhodes in the league this season for his goal tally. Thats 9 games less than Rhodes

Not having a pop at JR before anyone has a hissy fit, just pointing out there are always stats around to argue any side of a debate

Stats are a funny thing.

Did you know that King has a better goals to mins played ratio than Rhodes this season.

Also Rudy has played 806 mins less than Rhodes in the league this season for his goal tally. Thats 9 games less than Rhodes

Not having a pop at JR before anyone has a hissy fit, just pointing out there are always stats around to argue any side of a debate

Simon Eastwood has more shots on target than some of our infield players ;)

In relation to the Sun article, I don't know what to make of it.

If I had a pound for every time Rhodes or Gestede were linked away from Rovers in the national tabloids then my season ticket would already be paid for. So I'm not going to attach any particular weight to this story.

However, it does appear that the club has at least offered King a new contract, and that there is a chance he has signed or will be signing it. This leads to the question of what we are offering him. You would assume that his current salary will be at least matched, if not increased, and that King will have been given some sort of assurance about regular games. Financially Rovers could only offer King an extension if he was going to be a more regular and important player than he has been these last two seasons, because for someone with his injury record and games played it would be very risky to hand him a 3 year contract.

Maybe it is Rovers covering bases in the event that Rhodes/Gestede do leave rather than a more sinister plot to get King tied down before actively looking to cash in on the others. It would certainly act to 'soften the blow' of losing one or both of the main strikers if the club could fall back on King signing a new deal.

I've said it several times this year that Chris Brown should be at best a third or fourth choice striker who comes on for 20 minutes if we need to go direct or maybe start games if we have a couple of injuries. Under no circumstances should he be a regular starter for a top half Championship side. It is highly alarming if the people running the club see him as such.

Luke Varney is out of contract in the summer. If he is offered or signs a new deal then serious questions need to be asked about what direction the club is taking. I understand how the transfer embargo affects us, but given Varney's contribution to the team this last 12 months I would be simply astonished if he was kept on.

He isn't the fastest but he never has been. He is very good at predicting where the ball is going to end up and has sniffed out many goals out of nothing in a VERY unremarkable and un-creative Rovers side. What Rhodes is very good at timing runs off the last defender and tucking them away, our problem is that our manager has too often chosen not to play a midfield that can pass a ball on the floor or seems to instil the tactic that we don't get the ball (mainly crosses) quickly into dangerous areas.

Just confirming my view then.

Spending an entire 2 or three years transfer budget on a striker, when the midfield is so very poor is madness, - meaning that when that man plays, we have to take out a midfielder to accommodate him. That just creates a situation whereby, when a half decent team plays a five man midfield against us, they dominate possession. Just as has been happening for quite some time now.

Glad you agree with us Pedro.

If Bowyer can't trawl around the leagues and find a better option than Varney for 6/10k pwk and indeed re-signs him then he needs driving out of town with the pitch forks. Ridiculous !

I see what they've done there. They've took a made up story from the Norwegian media, added a made-up valuation of Rhodes and Gestede and then sprinkled some shyte about an out-of-contract Varney leading the line next season on top. I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Sun and my arse is horrible.

davulsukor appears to like it! :unsure:

As ever the decision ultimately lies in the player's hands. Pointless keeping a want away. However I presume he'll stay at Bolton if they offer him what we are prepared to pay.

hope not...

If Bowyer can't trawl around the leagues and find a better option than Varney for 6/10k pwk and indeed resigns him then he needs driving out of town with the pitch forks. Ridiculous !

Begs the question does Gary need to change his advisors or is Gary controlled by his advisors.

Archived