BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer's Preferred XI

Interesting idea forming on the Bowyer thread.

What do people think is Bowyer's best/preferred XI - not yours, his. It takes some second guessing obviously but it'd be interesting to see people's thoughts.

My view:

............ Gestede

.................. Marshall

Conway.... Lowe... Evans... Cairney

Olsson... Hanley... Kilgallon... Henley

.................... Steele

Subs:

Taylor C

Brown

Duffy

Spurr

Mahoney

O'Sullivan

Lenihan

King (gone)

Rhodes (sold)

I think Williamson and Baptiste will go, otherwise they would be ahead of Evans and Henley respectively.

It does seem to me though that he is trying to keep everyone happy, hence the rotation. Development football mentality.

Hanley

Lowe

9 others selected every other week to keep them happy.

If I had to guess I'd go with:

Steele

Lowe Hanley Kilgallon Olsson

Cairney Evans Williamson Marshall

Rhodes Gestede

Only one unsure about whether Lowe would move into midfield instead of WIlliamson, and then Baptiste at rb.

But even that is riven with inconsistencies. Olsson dropped at random, more centre half pairings than we know what to do with, four players used at right back, countless centre midfield combinations, random dropping of both Rhodes and Gestede. If it is his preferred line up, there's been so much tinkering, that even if it were the right line up, they'll never get used to playing in that system with those players around them

Personnel are secondary to how the team is coached. All of the above players are decent enough but if they are not taught how to close out games and defend properly their individual merits count for little.

If everyone was fit I have no doubts that this would be his first choice 11, in a 442...

Steele

Baptiste

Hanley

Duffy

Spurr

Cairney

Lowe

Evans

Marshall

Rhodes

Gestede

Centre half's playing full back, central midfielders that don't go past the half way line, wide players playing on the wrong side and not a lick of pace anywhere to be seen.

Tactics, lump towards Gestede and hope Rhodes reads the flick ons, he will run in the opposite direction every single time, but keep trying.

• Backroom

Eastwood
Henley--Hanley--Kilgallon--Olsson
----------------------Lowe
Conway--Cairney--Williamson--Marshall
---------------------Gestede

I actually think Rhodes or Gestede would benefit if that formation was played with the wingers on their right sides (over the top for Rudy, on the floor for Rhodes).

Thought he used the Venky's Ewood Park Franchise Manager App? :)

Instructions

1. Enter chosen ones

2. Press Random player generator to fill missing places

3. Press Random nickname Generator to edit player names

4. Press Random Injury Generator for missing players . Press again for type of injury or leave as default hamstring

5. Press Random Formation generator (Optional - double press to switch player sides)

6. Set Time reminder for substitute, choose up to 3 times if accountants allow

7. Press Random substitute generator x number of planned substitutions

After Match screen

1. Press excuse Generator ( double press for Kean mode)

2. Press Random player praise generator (of names inputted in the "justify"" directory)

3. Press Nickname generator if required

4. Press Praise phrase generator x number of praises required

5. Press Optional Praise Mrs Desai mode, press twice to praise whole family

6 Optional - Press player not for sale button to generate player name and reason why clubs should buy

If all instructions of the after match excuse generator screen have been followed correctly an example should appear as below (With Generated content in BOLD)

Example of Kean mode with max options selected

"It was always going to be an hard game with FFP and the Fans were quiet, but thought Browney was Magnificent and he has Great hair and the right kind of attitude, Madame Desai has been brilliant and give me everything I have asked for and the Owners back me 155%. Gestedey is definitely not for sale but would not surprise me if clubs were not interested at 5 million with all his headed goals and brute force"

• Backroom

GK Steele

DR Marshall

DC Hanley ©

DC Duffy

DL Olsson

MR Cairney

MC Lowe

MC Evans

ML Conway

AMC Brown

ST Gestede

Subs:

Eastwood

Henley

Kilgallon

Rhodes

Williamson

Spurr

C or P Taylor

I think it is fair to say there's a certain inconsistency in his team selections, and that successful teams tend to make uee of a smaller pool of players who have a defined role in the team. Playing as the same unit week to week makes a massive difference.

I've struggled to divine the rationale in the weekly team changes.

Another thread on a discussion we already have going. Littered with sarcasm, assumption and just general moaning.

Even if GB knew his prefferred 11- how could he even choose it when we've had injury problems all season.

The same problem applies to this angle - his team selections are inconsistent. Sometimes 442 has worked, we've been terrible with 451/41212/433 just as equally.

Will he find something and stick to it? Variables around injuries and available players in certain positions.

On the width discussion- just looking back at the last game it's easy to see we have decent wing play at times. In a perfect world Marshalls performances this season would have been more consistent- particularly out on the left.

Anyway, carry on with the "GB only picks his mates" debate- it's a BRFCC classic.

Because it's been deserving of disdain Joe. Not many teams have no injuries at all but even when we have had almost a full bill of health he has chopped and changed the side, even after a win, and not just 1 change, usually 3 or 4 at a time. It is deserving of more than sarcasm.

I think Bowyer really likes the idea of a 4-4-2 formation with a midfield diamond, as he tends to try it whenever the squad is at full strength:

-------------------Steele---------------------

--Baptiste--Hanley--Kilgallon--Olsson--

-------------------Lowe----------------------

--Conway---------------------Cairney----

----------------Marshall--------------------

--------Gestede----Rhodes--------------

Not bad in theory, but one of the main problems during this season (and, really, since the days of Savage/Tugay) is that we have lacked proper presense in midfield, getting overrun there far too easily.

Another thread on a discussion we already have going. Littered with sarcasm, assumption and just general moaning.

Even if GB knew his prefferred 11- how could he even choose it when we've had injury problems all season.

The same problem applies to this angle - his team selections are inconsistent. Sometimes 442 has worked, we've been terrible with 451/41212/433 just as equally.

Will he find something and stick to it? Variables around injuries and available players in certain positions.

On the width discussion- just looking back at the last game it's easy to see we have decent wing play at times. In a perfect world Marshalls performances this season would have been more consistent- particularly out on the left.

Anyway, carry on with the "GB only picks his mates" debate- it's a BRFCC classic.

I appreciate what you are saying in that injuries, loss of form and supsensions can play havoc when selecting a team. But surely that applies to everyone? I can name a number of Rovers squads where the manager and us knew his best eleven, but do not have a clue with this squad with Bowyer at the helm.

I was pleased when I saw this thread as it was a question I have asked myself many times. Having bought a number of players who are much of a muchness in terms of ability and positions, Bowyer has clearly struggled to identify who is best and find the correct balance or permutation that suits the lads purchased.

I think we are crying out for at least one traditional pacy winger (Wilcox, Ripley, Miller) that can get to the byline and stretch defences and also some genuine pace upfront. We saw in the cup the difference pace upfront can make to our general play, field positions and attacking options and at the risk of upsetting the Rhodes fans once again, for me his lack of pace and strength outside of the box causes us just as many problems as a team, as his goalscoring solves.

Archived