BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tom cairney

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he lost his place in CM to the midfield enforcer that is Jason Lowe.

Made me want to weep reading that thread.

But this isn't about the merits of individual players, it's about a system that Bowyer wants to play which involves two DMs at all times. It's not even about not having the personnel to play the system that he wants because he's had 2 years to bring in the right kind of player (regardless of pedigree). If we are struggling at full back then I'm sure there are/were L1 players who could fit the bill. At least six League One full backs reach the Championship every season anyway.

This system frustrates the fans because it removes the spectacle of attacking football and provides little enjoyment, and we don't even get the quid pro quo that at least we are winning games 1-0 - because we aren't.

At the moment the best we can hope for (in terms of excitement) is a kitchen sink 10-15 minutes to try to snatch an equaliser. We don't even go kitchen sink to get a winner because all Bowyer would do then is try to protect the point!

Cairney has player right wing in three of Fulham's four league games so far, and central midfield in their two league cup games. When the going gets tough Symons doesn't seem to trust him in the centre of the park, just like Bowyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive quiff though. Inbetween ruffling that up and standing with his hands on his hips he could actually play a decent ball now and again. A couple of robust challenges early on will see him shirk, just keep him away from the free kicks.

Interesting things in the article:

1) He didn't seem to want to go. A definite case of being pushed. Which makes it a very strange decision by either Venkys or Bowyer that makes little sense footballing wise.

2) He's not that positive on Bowyer. In fact all his praise centres on stabilising the club after Kean, which we all know and thank GB for. Interesting he doesn't mention anything after then, or about Bowyer getting us ready for a promotion push or any of that like. It seems like we can infer Cairney also thinks Bowyer was a dud last season (at the very least) as well as many of the fans holding that opinion.

Strange there's so much criticism of the fella bearing in mind he's absolutely streets ahead of any of our plodders.

That's the problem LD. Your judging him against other poor quality players in our squad. The kids certainly got talent as you say, but that's only half the battle as you know. He's symptomatic of modern day players. Minted before he can grow a full beard and without the determination to be the very best he can be at all times, may never achieve his full potential.

Strange there's so much criticism of the fella bearing in mind he's absolutely streets ahead of any of our plodders.

Let's not rewrite history. Conway had had a much more consistent impact in his time here while Marshall looked a lot better than Cairney ever has has in his good period last season.

I would love to have him instead of Lowe or Evans, and I think he has the potential to improve, but he wasn't that good.

I'm comparing him to our CMs. However, it's debatable whether Conway or Marshall have been better over their times with us.

Not sure either have Cairney's overall ability. I agree he gave the air of not being arsed at times and went missing in periods of games but for me, as far as having the ability to positively influence a game, he was better.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13716103.Blackburn_Rovers_are_missing_Tom_Cairney__admits_boss_Gary_Bowyer/ :blink:

Excuse after excuse. I'm getting sick of Bowyer's constant excuses. Decent guy - hardly, self preservation centred whining incompetent Imo.

Edit - also what pisses me off us Bowyer always cones out saying sales are nothing to do with him, didn't want to sell etc but then is very quick to take credit for the one million percent mark up or whatever it is.

Bigging up an ex-player and soon to be opponent - now that's a clever way to give confidence to your own squad, but it looks good on someones CV.

And Bowyer said: “I think they’ve spent well this summer and gone out and got some good players. They spent more on two centre-halves at the death there than our whole time here.

Now that's a typical Bowyer quote - he must dread coming out of FFP

If he was asked the question, are you missing Tom Cairney then I don't know what else he could say.

However the constant snipes about other clubs spending money is galling. In his 2 and a bit seasons, despite us losing money hand over fist, he has had to sell Dann, Gestede and Cairney. Its hardly oppressive. Pretty sure every time he is quoted as saying whenever he has asked Venkys for money they haven't said no.

He's brought in a dozen players since we went into embargo.

Archived