BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Capital One Cup

According to their forum link above, it sound like a few of the Shrewsbury fans might be up for the away day depending on pricing. Last year it was 'kid for a quid' and £5 for adults and TBH I felt robbed of that after 90 mins! However it might entice a few of their supporters if the pricing is the same.

If anyone from Rovers is reading this; please please please, ensure it's 'kid for a quid' when purchasing an adult ticket (or even 2 kids per adult ticket, whatever) but don't do it like last year where there were kids playing football on the concourse, running around the stands playing tig. I think a lot of parents used it as a cheap babysitter whilst they went to the pub!

If the football wasn't enough to get you wound up, that certainly was.

Rather pains me to say it given that we are previous winners but if thats all we can draw why bother entering if? Why not simply forfeit the thing. A completely pointless exercise unless it's used to give the ressies / youth a run out.

btw Good final point.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name that immediately came to mind when I saw it was Shrewsbury was Vic Kasule: http://www.espnfc.com/story/1037565/the-mavericks-victor-kasule. The second thing was a story about stray balls being picked up out of the river by a bloke in a coracle. Oh, I was right: "For many years, Shrewsbury coracle maker Fred Davies achieved some notability amongst football fans, by a unique service he and his coracle provided. He would sit in his coracle during Shrewsbury Town home matches, and retrieve stray footballs from the River Severn. Although Davies died long ago, his legend is still associated with the club" [source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Meadow#General_overview ]

We used to do OK playing against Shrewsbury, I remember Chrissy Price helping us stage a comeback win there in the late 'eighties. Or maybe the memory is playing tricks. Much happier days, compared to what we have now.

I was given a tour of Gay Meadow by the Shrewsbury groundsman in the summer of 1987 and he showed us the famous coracle which was kept in a cupboard under the stairs !

I remember the last game in 93/94 when we won 4-3 at the Gay Meadow.

We were largely out played but managed a very late winner. Good turn out by Rovers fans I recall.

I hope we draw at Ewood (we may even struggle to draw with GB "the excuse" as Manager) then we can get a new ground in.

I hope we draw at Ewood (we may even struggle to draw with GB "the excuse" as Manager) then we can get a new ground in.

Unfortunately we'd only get an extra 30 minutes and possibly penalties! No replays in the League Cup.

I feel this may be the long-awaited match where Chris Brown finally scores......

Or not.

I'll pay to see that. Might never happen again. Bang the drum for Browny could be the catchphrase for the clubs marketing men, set the team up solely to provide chances for him. If it works a new cult hero could be born.

Didn't Shrewsbury mess us up one season at home for Promotion to the old First Division? Was it the match where a lot of lads left early to meet a train at Darwen Station?

The game when the train was attacked ive never seen so many Rovers nutters up Bolton Road.

I think it was that Easter Monday game and word was all over the Blackburn end that Burnley were on the way. Decent game from what I can remember but the usual frustration, must have been because I don't remember much else apart from there was an unusually hyped atmosphere for that type of game.

Didn't Shrewsbury mess us up one season at home for Promotion to the old First Division? Was it the match where a lot of lads left early to meet a train at Darwen Station?

The game when the train was attacked ive never seen so many Rovers nutters up Bolton Road.

Was that the game?

I remember Shrewsbury putting one over on us in the run in, but can't recall if it was that game.

I wasn't at Darwen station, but I grew up with a few of the Wimberley lads that got jailed.

That side of town certainly produced a good number of Rovers nutters from the 60's right through to today.

Was that the game?

I remember Shrewsbury putting one over on us in the run in, but can't recall if it was that game.

I wasn't at Darwen station, but I grew up with a few of the Wimberley lads that got jailed.

That side of town certainly produced a good number of Rovers nutters from the 60's right through to today.

I might have the wrong team but I remember we played a team where there shouldn't of been any trouble. I couldn't work out what was going on after the match. Mobs of lads being pushed down the road by Mounted Police. Heard on Radio Lancs in the morning about the train attack.

The train wasn't attacked by a big mob, but enough to cause damage.

It always made me laugh how the burnley lads (never been done, never been run) created a myth about seeing the mob off in Darwen, when in fact they had no chance, completely taken by surprise. Bit like taking the roof off the Darwen End, it was actually 3 asbestos sheets that they threw at their own fans at the front of the Darwen End.

Before the Darwen station incident burnley had a bad day all round as they'd had to lock themselves into the Bradford Arms earlier in the day also as Bolton had outnumbered them also.

Poor Burnley......

Two or three max climbed onto the roof and that was it lol Plenty old LT photos floating about but of course according to them they dismantled the Darwen End. Think they had a bit of a skirmish with the police but came off second best in that as usual so I'm told :rover:

I became really good mates with a burnley lad in 90's through work, he was a founder member of the SS, be in his 60's now, real old school, but a good lad once he'd grown up a bit :D He made it clear we'd not have shared the same room in the early 80's, no chance he said, and I firmly believed him!

He told me it all kicked off when burnley fans started to throw a wellington boot around in the Darwen End which ended up breaking the roof, this resulted in a few getting on the roof and throwing bits of roof panel. The police went in with dogs and that was the end of that.

Anyway we digress and I don't condone any sort of this thing, I put it down to being young and daft, but times are certainly different now, more things to occupy the mind than meeting your mates on a Saturday to fight the opposition, or invading the pitch after that **** **** :wacko:

I became really good mates with a burnley lad in 90's through work, he was a founder member of the SS, be in his 60's now, real old school, but a good lad once he'd grown up a bit :D He made it clear we'd not have shared the same room in the early 80's, no chance he said, and I firmly believed him!

He told me it all kicked off when burnley fans started to throw a wellington boot around in the Darwen End which ended up breaking the roof, this resulted in a few getting on the roof and throwing bits of roof panel. The police went in with dogs and that was the end of that.

Anyway we digress and I don't condone any sort of this thing, I put it down to being young and daft, but times are certainly different now, more things to occupy the mind than meeting your mates on a Saturday to fight the opposition, or invading the pitch after that **** **** :wacko:

Did Shadrach ever get his Wellington back?

It looks like the Riverside will be shut for the Shrewsbury game.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/capital-one-cup-first-round-shrewsbury-town-2502165.aspx

Rovers would be better ONLY opening the Riverside.

Pity but I am going to miss this big game....I was looking forward to the big push for Wembley.

Be better off just opening the JW lower and central upper for home fans, coral everyone together and at least have a murmur of atmosphere. Was quite good in there v Swansea in the cup.

Wouldn't be surprised if this fixture was a club record low attendance in a competitive game. A combo of consecutive shocking league cup performances/exits vs div 3 teams, a nothing tie as far as interest or any rivalry goes, the realisation we're going nowhere under bowyer and the owners seeming content with our stagnation, zero entertainment on the pitch last season, plus the usual it's only the league cup mentality.

That said I'll be there. No doubt at several points I'll be wondering why I've bothered but hey ho. Let's try and stop the run of 1st round defeats against lower league sides

Wouldn't be surprised if this fixture was a club record low attendance in a competitive game. A combo of consecutive shocking league cup performances/exits vs div 3 teams, a nothing tie as far as interest or any rivalry goes, the realisation we're going nowhere under bowyer and the owners seeming content with our stagnation, zero entertainment on the pitch last season, plus the usual it's only the league cup mentality.

That said I'll be there. No doubt at several points I'll be wondering why I've bothered but hey ho. Let's try and stop the run of 1st round defeats against lower league sides

We once got hammered 5-1? away at Wimbledon in the early stages of the league cup, the return leg was very poorly attended i seem to recall.

Archived