BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Capital One Cup

• Backroom

The first round draw of the Capital One Cup takes place tomorrow morning at 10am.

Who would people like to face? I know teams are split seeded/unseeded, Is there still a north/south divide?

I'm hoping for Accrington Stanley either home or away, failing that any lower league new ground will do.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 3 years of consecutive defeats vs division 3 teams pretty much anyone can knock us out. Scunthorpe who were in a relegation battle all season. Carlisle who actually went down and mk Dons. But this season any defeat is all because of financial fair play.

Not sure if Blackpool are seeded with them being relegated but an away trip to Gloomfield would be good. As many tickets as you like and I think we'd get the North Stand if Oyston has his way. Morecambe would be good also.

• Backroom

Not sure if Blackpool are seeded with them being relegated but an away trip to Gloomfield would be good. As many tickets as you like and I think we'd get the North Stand if Oyston has his way. Morecambe would be good also.

Blackpool are seeded unfortunately!

Is it possible for us to get the dingles? If so, that'd be a good'un

Unfortunately not, they are seeded along with us.

Are we really bothered? Having witnessed the Carlisle debacle and the Scunthorpe dross I definitely wont be going !

This needs to be an away game for that reason. Could be a very embarrassing turn out, at Ewood.

My only real memory of these lot is playing them at home one night late 80's. freezing, snow everywhere and about 15 of them in the Darwen end. One of those games we just thought turn up and win but we played shoite, so did they but one of there's scored an absolute rocket from about 30 yards. Result 0-1 plus a dose of flu !

You only need open the JW lower for this one Derek.....

Went to Shrewsbury in 80's, think we drew 1-1, Ronny Hildersley scored i think.

As for them bringing a few thousand? not if back in the 80's was anything to go by, they never brought more than 1 man and a dog, very poorly supported side.

Went to Shrewsbury in 80's, think we drew 1-1, Ronny Hildersley scored i think.

As for them bringing a few thousand? not if back in the 80's was anything to go by, they never brought more than 1 man and a dog, very poorly supported side.

Think we played them a few times in the 80's there where some nice Pubs in Shrewsbury itself and the locals were friendly. ,Seem to remember the car park was behind the away end but you had to drive past the main players / Directors entrance at the side of the ground to get to it.

If it is Shrewsbury's ground I'm thinking of on one occasion by the time they had lets us out of the ground and we were driving past the main entrance Garner was standing there dressed and having a fag.

The name that immediately came to mind when I saw it was Shrewsbury was Vic Kasule: http://www.espnfc.com/story/1037565/the-mavericks-victor-kasule. The second thing was a story about stray balls being picked up out of the river by a bloke in a coracle. Oh, I was right: "For many years, Shrewsbury coracle maker Fred Davies achieved some notability amongst football fans, by a unique service he and his coracle provided. He would sit in his coracle during Shrewsbury Town home matches, and retrieve stray footballs from the River Severn. Although Davies died long ago, his legend is still associated with the club" [source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Meadow#General_overview ]

We used to do OK playing against Shrewsbury, I remember Chrissy Price helping us stage a comeback win there in the late 'eighties. Or maybe the memory is playing tricks. Much happier days, compared to what we have now.

The name that immediately came to mind when I saw it was Shrewsbury was Vic Kasule: http://www.espnfc.com/story/1037565/the-mavericks-victor-kasule. The second thing was a story about stray balls being picked up out of the river by a bloke in a coracle. Oh, I was right: "For many years, Shrewsbury coracle maker Fred Davies achieved some notability amongst football fans, by a unique service he and his coracle provided. He would sit in his coracle during Shrewsbury Town home matches, and retrieve stray footballs from the River Severn. Although Davies died long ago, his legend is still associated with the club" [source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Meadow#General_overview ]

We used to do OK playing against Shrewsbury, I remember Chrissy Price helping us stage a comeback win there in the late 'eighties. Or maybe the memory is playing tricks. Much happier days, compared to what we have now.

I remember getting thumped 7-1 away

remember going down in 2 mini buses from Whalley 1 Friday night in the 80s. there were about 25 of us but only about 5 went back in the 11.00 pm bus. We then had about 20 crammed in the 2.00 am mini bus of which half the floor was out of bounds because someone had puked up. Oh the joys of away travel.

As one of the (very) few who went to the Scunthorpe game last year, I hope we at least turn up for this one.

According to their forum link above, it sound like a few of the Shrewsbury fans might be up for the away day depending on pricing. Last year it was 'kid for a quid' and £5 for adults and TBH I felt robbed of that after 90 mins! However it might entice a few of their supporters if the pricing is the same.

If anyone from Rovers is reading this; please please please, ensure it's 'kid for a quid' when purchasing an adult ticket (or even 2 kids per adult ticket, whatever) but don't do it like last year where there were kids playing football on the concourse, running around the stands playing tig. I think a lot of parents used it as a cheap babysitter whilst they went to the pub!

If the football wasn't enough to get you wound up, that certainly was.

Archived