BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

Well I've just read back the last few pages and can't help but feel we are this season's Blackpool.

Small squad, poor manager, awful owners, struggling to afford to pay wages for new players.

Add to that the fact we have more debt than them, and that we are under embargo.

I understand Bowyer trying to put a brave face on things but that is all very worrying. If we can't afford to bring in the calibre of the rejects we have on trial then we are really struggling. Complaining about the embargo after all this time is also starting to grate. I'd feel sorry for Bowyer if I didn't feel like he is part of the reason we are in this mess.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just read back the last few pages and can't help but feel we are this season's Blackpool.

Small squad, poor manager, awful owners, struggling to afford to pay wages for new players.

Add to that the fact we have more debt than them, and that we are under embargo.

I understand Bowyer trying to put a brave face on things but that is all very worrying. If we can't afford to bring in the calibre of the rejects we have on trial then we are really struggling. Complaining about the embargo after all this time is also starting to grate. I'd feel sorry for Bowyer if I didn't feel like he is part of the reason we are in this mess.

Just get behind and clap the Team. It will all be fine.....have trust in the V's, GB, Shaw, Coar and Myers.

Just get behind and clap the Team. It will all be fine.....have trust in the V's, GB, Shaw, Coar and Myers.

Good one.

When we had the time and resources to replace Bowyer, whilst the parachute money ran out, we had people on here saying he needs more time. Now that the opportunity to replace him seems to have gone, people are saying 'it's too late now, no point in replacing him' as though we are just supposed to nod and agree.

I really don't understand some folk making out that Bowyer is a victim, I'll wager he is ABSOLUTELY loving his job and probably knows

he won't be sacked anytime soon.

Smaller weaker squad, gives him and Shaw, all the excuses they need for next season.

I wonder how many properties these two have acquired in the last couple of years, for their retirement fund.

Self preservation abounds, down Ewood way !

I really cannot understand this logic. Even OUT of the embargo our recruitment policy will be no different. If we spend any more we will just go back under embargo again.

It's exactly why a couple of us don't want us to sell players just to get out of the embargo if we have any aspirations of promotion.

Not necessarily. Middlesbrough have spent £7 million this summer already and won't get an embargo. Leeds got theirs lifted and have already gone on to spend millions on Chris Wood.

If we sign this Korean, am I right in thinking it would be our first player in our history from the Asian continent? I feel like I'm forgetting somebody. But if that's right, it would give us the full sweep of having had a player from every continent (except Antarctica of course!)

I suppose you could count Zurab as being Asian (Georgian) although Georgia counts as a UEFA nation most consider it as Asian.

Not necessarily. Middlesbrough have spent £7 million this summer already and won't get an embargo. Leeds got theirs lifted and have already gone on to spend millions on Chris Wood.

I see Boro have taken a young defender from Chelsea on loan today, must have a very decent squad now, and I'll bet they're not finished yet.

Forgot Eyal Berkovic too. Again Israel counts as Europe footballing wise but is definitely in Asia.

I see Boro have taken a young defender from Chelsea on loan today, must have a very decent squad now, and I'll bet they're not finished yet.

How is the question. I bet the people running FUP will be praying they get promoted this season to avoid a future headache. Unless spending £5 million on Downing is realistic for a club getting 15,000 gates with no parachute money? In which case we might not suffer as expected.

Forgot Eyal Berkovic too. Again Israel counts as Europe footballing wise but is definitely in Asia.

How is the question. I bet the people running FUP will be praying they get promoted this season to avoid a future headache. Unless spending £5 million on Downing is realistic for a club getting 15,000 gates with no parachute money? In which case we might not suffer as expected.

We'll have to wait for the outcome of the QPR case, should be interesting when/if it finally happens.

It was glaringly obvious he was speaking to the owners through the press in the second half of last season highlighting every reason he could come up with for the averageness. Why now isn't he sending out s.o.s type messages for a signing or two ?

He should be banging on the plane door to go to Pune and say look we are really running a huge risk here if we don't get a few in.

As usual you just get the impression of him shrugging his shoulders and saying 'oh well'.

Hit the stupid "quota of positive votes" again so I have to waste a post to show my approval.

Huddersfield have signed that Hiwula chap from Man City we were linked with a couple of days ago. 3 year contract for an undisclosed fee.

For all those laying even a small part of the blame for the embargo at Bowyer's door i'd suggest you go back and look at the accounts for the last few years. Signing players on frees or loans and paying them low wages doesn't get you into an embargo. What Singh, Kean and Anderson did certainly does.

We keep being told that no prem players are going out on loan, but it's BS. We're simply just doing nothing.

How do you know what the hold-up is? There may be players lined up to come in but the Venksters won't authorise the deals.

Blackpool started pre-season with 8 players. It's nothing like that. And if Bowyer was a poor manager we'd have been relegated by now.

Good one.

When we had the time and resources to replace Bowyer, whilst the parachute money ran out, we had people on here saying he needs more time. Now that the opportunity to replace him seems to have gone, people are saying 'it's too late now, no point in replacing him' as though we are just supposed to nod and agree.

Can't "like" again so I have to waste another post. :wstu:

We keep being told that no prem players are going out on loan, but it's BS. We're simply just doing nothing.

Same as - Can't like. Another wasted post.

Getting so bored with hearing who is to blame for all this.

Is this Bowyers fault? It doesnt make a difference. If he goes we won't get a better manager in so that's that.

Are Venky's the problem? Obviously, but that's not news any more.

I think this summer shows how important it was to get promoted in the last 2 years. We're now paying the price. It was coming sooner or later. Sad, but inevitable. Arguing over who is to blame doesnt make a difference. Nothing is going to change.

Blackpool started pre-season with 8 players. It's nothing like that. And if Bowyer was a poor manager we'd have been relegated by now.

The flip side of that coin is if bowyer was a good manager we would have made the play offs or even been promoted especially with 40 goals in the front 2. To play Devils advocate he has had a top 6 team at his disposal and through his tactics he has never managed to realise its potential so on that basis could argue that he is a poor manager.

But in my opinion the truth is he is an average bog standard manager. For a variety of reasons I don't think he's good enough but we seem stuck with him.

Selling before you buy is exactly what we are doing.

This is our 4th season in the Championship, there comes a time when you really do have to cut the cloth accordingly.

Unfortunately this is our nature now, we are competing with a club of similar size and backing: Huddersfield, Bolton, etc.

The flip side of that coin is if bowyer was a good manager we would have made the play offs or even been promoted especially with 40 goals in the front 2. To play Devils advocate he has had a top 6 team at his disposal and through his tactics he has never managed to realise its potential so on that basis could argue that he is a poor manager.

But in my opinion the truth is he is an average bog standard manager. For a variety of reasons I don't think he's good enough but we seem stuck with him.

Having 40 goals in the front is irrelevant if nobody else scores, but that's due to Bowyers style of play. Doesn't make him a poor manager but i agree some aspects of his mangement are average, but some are good. It's very simplistic to label him a 'poor' manager but then there are a lot of very simplistic posts made on here.

Having 40 goals in the front is irrelevant if nobody else scores, but that's due to Bowyers style of play. Doesn't make him a poor manager but i agree some aspects of his mangement are average, but some are good. It's very simplistic to label him a 'poor' manager but then there are a lot of very simplistic posts made on here.

Not scoring from elsewhere is only part of the problem, conceding like its going out of fashion is the biggest issue, he hasn't been able to resolve that in two seasons, and looking at what he's bringing in its likely of being the same story this season to.

Minus the 40 goals from Rhodes/Gestede of course......

Simplistic or not he has not delivered what the club needed badly, promotion.

Selling before you buy is exactly what we are doing.

This is our 4th season in the Championship, there comes a time when you really do have to cut the cloth accordingly.

Unfortunately this is our nature now, we are competing with a club of similar size and backing: Huddersfield, Bolton, etc.

Well seemingly we're not - they're making/have made signings while we've done bugger all.

He has strengths and weaknesses for sure. If did a pros and cons list of bowyer id say:

Cons

More often than not I think he is poor at tactics during a game changing things when we're under the pump

Setting up a team with some real head scratching selections

Defensively we are atrocious still

Getting the best out of players as you say there's no other goals in the side

And in spite what some say I still think fitness is an issue.

Pros

I think he's got a good eye for a player

We have Rhodes and gestede scoring 40 goals so he's obviously doing something right.

So on balance he's poor at a lot more things than he's good at and arguably he's poor at the most important things that make a good manager. To be brutally harsh on him his main attributes are that of a scout or coach not a manager.

Archived