BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves At Home On 8/8/2015

What I do find quite funny is Bowyer gets the plaudits for clearing out such bad eggs and that this makes him some sort of messiah. What would ANY other manager have done in the same position (except Kean)? I honestly think we could have put near enough anyone in charge and they'd have sussed out who needed to go. It was obvious to everyone remotely connected to the club. Bowyer is the only one who got the chance to clear out these players. Whilst I think Bowyer has done ok in the transfer market, I don't think he should get super special praise for paying off Best, Orr and the like.

Very good point this. My mate's a Wolves fan, and apparently they had the same problem around the time they had successive relegations. He tells me it was down to players like Roger Johnson and Jamie O'Hara having a terrible attitude, probably behind the reason why they got moved on.

Roll on a 2 years, Kenny Jacket has turned the club from a League 1 side to Championship promotion contenders. Meanwhile Gary? He's really took us nowhere. I'm also told their manager still takes them on runs through Wolverhampton's city centre, to keep them in touch with reality.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As has happened many times in the last two seasons, we were beaten by the team we faced on paper, not by the one we faced on grass.

Rubbish that. We were beaten by the officials.

Therein lies the problem, experience aside, jackett in the space of 2 years has turned around wolves from a league 1 side into a championship team challenging for promotion, bowyer had done nothing in 2 years, look how Gary monk has transformed Swansea inside a year from battling the drop under laudrup and he had 0 experience in coaching

Do you reckon Gary Monk will come to BRFC?

The best thing about yesterday was that after a summer reading about the club's demise on here I went there and realised it isn't true.

The armageddon hasn't happened, there are still a lot of people who enjoy going to Ewood and cheering on Rovers. We have an ok championship team, with some young players and a couple worth watching.

For those who can't get to games and rely on this messageboard for an accurate picture of what it is like at Rovers, there is still a club at Ewood - and going there is a damn fine way to spend a Saturday.

We lost at home on the opening day of the season, things really couldn't have gone any worse, and that's before we talk finances and such like.

Yes we read doom and gloom on here, but let's not deny what's going on and let's not say we're happy to be beaten at home a side that will be lucky to make the play offs.

Rubbish that. We were beaten by the officials.

Do you reckon Gary Monk will come to BRFC?

Huh?? Maybe you missed the point I was trying to make? A manager with no experience can take a team onto the next level within a year or two, so this gary bowyer learning the ropes codswallop doesnt wash, yes i know swansea are a much better run club but its all relative as hes working at a much higher level against far better teams, he hadnt spent alot either whilst losing his star striker wheras bowyer kept hold of his two strikers up until a week or so ago

The best thing about yesterday was that after a summer reading about the club's demise on here I went there and realised it isn't true.

The armageddon hasn't happened, there are still a lot of people who enjoy going to Ewood and cheering on Rovers. We have an ok championship team, with some young players and a couple worth watching.

For those who can't get to games and rely on this messageboard for an accurate picture of what it is like at Rovers, there is still a club at Ewood - and going there is a damn fine way to spend a Saturday.

No you are wrong, a lot of people go to ewood now out of a sense of duty, people are so programmed into attending on a Saturday afternoon they don't know any other way, doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Just had a look back at the goals conceded, the first goal Duffy gets caught out, but gives up rather than trying to get back in a position to defend

The second goal, we had 8 players in the box, and no one marking the guy who scored, now I know it was handball, but it could quite easily have been a marginally better cross too. It's worrying that we are starting off like that.

• Backroom

No you are wrong, a lot of people go to ewood now out of a sense of duty, people are so programmed into attending on a Saturday afternoon they don't know any other way, doesn't mean they enjoy it.

A lot of people go to Ewood because they are eternal optimists regardless of what's going on at Rovers behind the scenes. I go because I enjoy supporting my team no matter the league, manager, owners, players. I don't 'have to' ( Lord knows I could do with an extra £280 about now), I want to. My dad's in the same boat.

Yes we moan and whinge about the state of it all. But there's little better in our world than watching our team play, hoping for the best and nattering to people around us we've known for 4 years but not their names.

They are: '8-0, @#/? off', 'Headphones' and 'Dicky Knee' :P

There was some good, some bad, some ugly on Saturday.

As many have said first 25 we were genuinely good, even excellent, if we can play like that for 60 minutes a game we would be up there fighting for the play offs. During that time especially Rhodes was terrific, great long shot, he was bullying the much bigger Hause, I could hardly believe my eyes. Delf was picked for a reason, most goal kicks and long balls were going out to him and it worked well a few times at the beginning but then not so much as Wolves got used to it. It was clearly a plan from the manager, he could be seen encouraging it and applauding the efforts. So Delf was in for his height and his ability to switch central, I thought he did okay and could see why GB went that way even if I didn't really agree with it.

I was a little disappointed with the line up but I was annoyed at the bench, only one attacking option on the bench in Koita. Where was O'Sullivan? We have 7 sub spot available and there were other players, if something is wrong with O'S then Mahoney, Tomlinson (not very attacking but more so than the bench players), I worried that may limit us and it did.

The officials made big mistakes and Afobe is an excellent player (he'll be one of the Champ top scorers and in the prem soon) but we weren't tough enough, Lowe isn't making a big enough contribution defensively and apart from a couple of decent passes offers nothing going forward. I would love him to be better but on this showing I'd prefer Willo (not a big fan of him either), Evans was the same, in an ideal world I'd sell both for what I could get and bring in better. Guthrie was good but needs someone who can move their feet a bit better and can pass quickly (even if simply) next to him and I have doubts over those three being able to do it.

Duffy and Hanley weren't terrible but for the third game in a row Hanley was the better and Duffy, magnificent B) in the air though he is, wasn't great.

What has Kilgallon done wrong? I thought he earned his place in the team last season, Duffy looked poor in preseason, especially against Bury. It gets harder and harder not to think that GB is playing him for his sell on potential rather than for the best for the team.

Marshall did struggle a bit in the 'ten' role but he wasn't awful, he might need more time to get used to it and I don't think we should be too quick to right him off there. Having said that I'd have him on the left and Conway on the right, I just think he loves to cut inside and Conway is better at going around the outside.

GB disappointed again yesterday, I hope he really does see the deficiencies in the team as they have ability. The bench was wrong but the starting tactics were right as evidenced by the first 25 mins, I think it was reasonable for him to go back to them at the start of the second half but after Wolves started stronger I wanted a change from 55 minutes... twenty minutes later we got subs... Not good enough, far too slow. I'm not suggesting impatience but it was as clear as day to me and I'm sure plenty of others. I understand wanting to give the players time to get on top, change after 60 or 65 still gives us plenty of time but he waited and waited and waited. It turned out he waited too long again.

Keith looked good, that shot onto the post was an excellent one, though Wolves gave him plenty of time and space, it's early days though he looked more of a threat than Delf (who doesn't look at all confident in front of goal) through the middle.

Due to the goal kick tactics and more we went down the right side an awful lot especially in the first half and we weren't getting Conway involved enough in the game, and we have to be consciously looking to do that because even with not the best service he contributed well today.

Overall though a draw would have been a fair result, this was the view of most Wolves fans on the train. Wolves aren't a great team but they will do well as they are well organised and have Afobe. We aren't a great team either but we have Rhodes so if we were well organised... in fact if we could get Conway and Marshall firing at the same time... Losing at home first day is horrible and extremely frustrating but there were a fair few positives. That is what I find most annoying about this side, I still think there is enough quality in it to do well.

In think you can make the same comment for 92 different sets of supporters.

Just had a look back at the goals conceded, the first goal Duffy gets caught out, but gives up rather than trying to get back in a position to defend

The second goal, we had 8 players in the box, and no one marking the guy who scored, now I know it was handball, but it could quite easily have been a marginally better cross too. It's worrying that we are starting off like that.

I had it down as a shot.

btw........ anybody know if the Referee has made any comments yet?

Same old same old.

Two sitting midfield players at home, who have no inclination to ever make runs to support or get beyond forwards. Combined with sitting too deep, harrying opposition and not tackling, I'm still not impressed.

Though midfield take their defensive position from the centre halves, who still sit too deep and are slow to push up the field. Again we've seen this before from this pairing, just does not work. Started the game quite well, easily in control of long punts down the field, yet when they get turned and dragged out of position they get found out. Lack of communication? Hopefully Kilgallon will be in the team soon.

In think you can make the same comment for 92 different sets of supporters.

I had it down as a shot.

btw........ anybody know if the Referee has made any comments yet?

Pretty sure he hasn't and isn't likely to (not publicly anyway). I spoke to a senior official in the refereeing world yesterday and told him that I saw the referee hug a Wolves player at the end of the game. I can accept genuine errors but that, particularly after the way the game went just is completely wrong.

Pretty sure he hasn't and isn't likely to (not publicly anyway). I spoke to a senior official in the refereeing world yesterday and told him that I saw the referee hug a Wolves player at the end of the game. I can accept genuine errors but that, particularly after the way the game went just is completely wrong.

What did the senior official say to that?

I know refs are human and make mistakes but he had a pretty terrible day.

Did Ojo need booking when he went down in the area even?

What did the senior official say to that?

I know refs are human and make mistakes but he had a pretty terrible day.

Did Ojo need booking when he went down in the area even?

It's funny, because about 15-20 mins in I said how the ref was doing well. Played on at the right times, didn't stop the game too much... Then he went on to have a stinker!

I don't think Ojo dived tbh. Had a clear view from the Darwen End and Henley (?) certainly caught him. First impression was it's a corner. Harsh yellow and certainly needless. If a player goes down easy, get on with it. If he dives, book him.

It's funny, because about 15-20 mins in I said how the ref was doing well. Played on at the right times, didn't stop the game too much... Then he went on to have a stinker!

I don't think Ojo dived tbh. Had a clear view from the Darwen End and Henley (?) certainly caught him. First impression was it's a corner. Harsh yellow and certainly needless. If a player goes down easy, get on with it. If he dives, book him.

From near the dugout it looked like a good take but a strong one and no way a dive, surely there was plenty of contact... I was confused by it.

From near the dugout it looked like a good take but a strong one and no way a dive, surely there was plenty of contact... I was confused by it.

If we're talking about the late incident with Hanley, I had just about the perfect view of it. It was a perfectly timed tackle and a goal kick as it ricocheted off the Wolves player. To book the lad for a dive was nothing short of a joke.

Archived